The Serenity of Scotland (Mull and beyond)

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited July 23, 2008 in Landscapes
OK, my turn to bite.

As the entire forum has surely heard by now, the workshop to Scotland was a huge success. We've all come and gone, had so many waking hours and belly-tiring laughs, and more inside jokes than you can shake several large gorse bushes at.

We were fortunate that the weather was so calm. Scotland seemed to be holding its breath while we crawled along the hills and the shoreline, so many well-equipped ants searching for that morsel of beauty to bring back home to share with the rest.

The first day we set out to travel from the big city to our pristine little island. The journey was fractured by the occasional pit stop for photos. Little did we know what marvelous sights would be waiting for us on Mull!

Reaching for the star (but not quite fast enough!) This huge, ancient tree huddled over the inlet like a weary old woman. I tried to make her look a little taller, a little younger.

302691852_DGnCP-L.jpg

At the edge of the deep sea, waiting for the ferry in the vibrant town of Oban.

302698471_gcqZb-L.jpg

We became fast friends with these triplets of yore, the three sleeping ships that never seemed to notice the blanket of the tide rising and falling along their hips. (There is a third ship between these that you cannot see here)

305565190_6e4v8-L.jpg

A theme for the week. There will be many more of these floating around the galleries with an extensive cast of characters and locations.

305565636_mT6bK-L.jpg

Our first sunset was glorious. Emerald green hills, snowy white sheep and a celestial show of emotions in the skies:

302651453_P4Xwc-M.jpg

302691644_exotG-M.jpg

302661372_5mJd8-M.jpg

(There were also very loud and intoxicated castle residents and a dire need to use the facilities)

302692006_FG5Gu-M.jpg

Each night found us all in the lounge: chimping, poring, laughing, drinking. We took over the lodge as though it was our own home, shuffling between our rooms and our laptops as comfy as could be. The staff certainly made it easy for us.

However, late nights don't stop the coming of early mornings. At least, they didn't early on in the week when we still had some energy left.

305566175_ypgPE-M.jpg

I loved the hike out to this lighthouse although I cursed it at the time. So very tired so early in the game! Had I known that I would never make it out there a second time over the course of the week I would have taken greater care to look at the details around me. The path was dark but sheltered. I remember smelling the wild garlic on the damp air, mixed with flowers and brine and rich black earth and that sweet forest scent that, in my home, never exists by the ocean.

I was frustrated by the lack of light this morning, not yet knowing that this was not always something to curse. We had plenty of light that week - no rain! - and an important lesson to learn was to work with what you've got. Don't fight it. And don't be lazy.

More later, to be appended here.

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

305565636_mT6bK-L.jpg

Titanic scene? My heart will go on!!!!

More sheep!! Do they paint the coat of the sheep to mark ownership??
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Wonderful.

305566175_ypgPE-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    so neat, simply a big wow!....

i really like the sheep shot!
    Aaron Nelson
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 3, 2008
    Lovely work, Schmoo.

Aaron, we shot tons of sheep and goats thumb.gif The UK seems to have them everywhere. The lambs are just so very cute!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    beautiful photos. beautiful words.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Nice shot of the ram.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    302691644_exotG-M.jpg
    Love it !! Magnificent photo.
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Wonderful stuff Schmoo, great photos and commentary, I love it!

Charlie
  • Emmanuel CoupeEmmanuel Coupe Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Lovely images from around the Isle and fitting commentary to go along, well done Schmoo.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    I have to say I’m probably the only one of the group that would have enjoyed some real Scottish weather with strong winds and some rain.<o:p></o:p>
    www.emmanuelcoupe.com

"Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons and daughters of the Earth. We did not weave the web of life; We are merely a strand in it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselvs.." Chief Seattle
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Lovely images from around the Isle and fitting commentary to go along, well done Schmoo.<o:p></o:p>
    I have to say I’m probably the only one of the group that would have enjoyed some real Scottish weather with strong winds and some rain.<o:p></o:p>

No not at all! I packed rain gear all week, not warm gear. I would have really liked to see the moody, drippy shots that one expects from Scotland, much like you have in your galleries.

Many thanks, guys! :D
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

302691644_exotG-M.jpg

This shot is simply awesome!!

Looks like a fantastic time thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    302691644_exotG-S.jpg

Love it..... thumb.gifthumb
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    305565636_mT6bK-L.jpg

302691644_exotG-M.jpg

Amazing how diff Andy looks when he doesnot shave for several daysheadscratch.gif

Schmoo,

Wonderful postthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    You never fail to provide a good read and unusual imagery. I am happy you now see the light, in the clouds:ivar
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Wow, these are all so wonderful.

peace, gail
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    No not at all! I packed rain gear all week, not warm gear. I would have really liked to see the moody, drippy shots that one expects from Scotland, much like you have in your galleries.

Many thanks, guys! :D
    I got some rain on Friday, nothing serious. But enough to remind me what a PIA it is to shoot when it's precipitating.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Amazing how diff Andy looks when he doesnot shave for several daysheadscratch.gif

See, Schmoo is really short, this went over her head... luckily I'm tall enough to get these things for her. You should have seen the look on her face when she got it :smo
    Travis
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    See, Schmoo is really short, this went over her head... luckily I'm tall enough to get these things for her. You should have seen the look on her face when she got it :smo
    lol3.gifwave.gif
    You should have her make the face again and make that her daily.

Great stuff as usual Steph. You know I love the ram.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited June 3, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    lol3.gifwave.gif
    You should have her make the face again and make that her daily.

.... and hours later I'm still laughing! rolleyes1.gif

Sid, sorry to hear that you caught rain. If it had been on us I wouldn't have been able to return all my gear to REI :D

Thanks, all. I'm trying to accomplish enough Real Life Work to get to the next few shots so I can post 'em.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    These are great schmoo! I love the (appropriate) abuse of the fish-eye, my favorites are probably the sheep/sunset shots, wow!
    edited June 14, 2008
    Alright, time to continue, even though I haven't been processing my shots in order and that sort of makes me :twitch

The next morning was an early one for nearly all of us. After the sunrise we headed to the beach. It's a funny thing considering 99% of our locations were beaches.

They were such lovely beaches, suited more for the Caribbean than this far north. White and blue, sometimes deep turquoise out beyond the shallow areas. The rocks varied from red to white to black all in one glance. The lichens were kisses of color: yellow and white and green. A most unexpected dirt path wound from the road around the coast. We didn't have time to follow to see where it ended.

306272687_g6vYc-M.jpg

Hanging on for dear life

306272868_yGvUe-L-1.jpg

I actually don't even remember taking this shot but I do know that the lack of horizontals threw me for a loop:

302885782_wzbpX-L.jpg

This second beach had sheep. They skittered across the sand between the tourists in search of (literally) greener pastures.

I think that's Sid?

298708316_pFS7t-L-1.jpg

While we enjoyed lunch and the view, itineraries were planned and details were ironed:

298402853_SomNS-L-4.jpg

This one was taken in the heat of a sheepy moment - No time to run back to the car and get a real lens!

310989797_jgoSB-L.jpg

We spent some hours here under the harsh midday sun. The purple flowers grasped the deep-rooted vitality of the wild earth and exploded into chromatic giggles at every opportunity:

310365484_uPhcd-L-1.jpg

The cliffs were... impressive (like Sarah's tenacity!)

310989934_eyazr-L.jpg

Last beach of the day. We hoped to catch a sunset at Kintra - which labeled on the map as a town but is really a handful of houses perched at the westernmost edge of civilization. Exploring the hills here was educational, expansive and in some ways very rewarding.

310989563_Tqj2u-L.jpg

I know that there are many shots from this evening floating around here. We witnessed a beautiful moonrise and a clear sunset over the water.

More custom floral arrangements:

312748491_tKHbT-L-1.jpg

Some were slightly more subtle. I did have a good time holding Scotland's chin in my fingers and scrutinizing some of the "vertically challenged" sights. We relate on that level (no pun intended!)

308014240_AjVTK-L.jpg

Skipping ahead to the following day, we were introduced again to the World of Midges. A beautiful grove of trees caught Marc's attention and we stopped to shoot. While peaceful and seemingly very old, the light was tricky:

312733687_PtYXm-L.jpg

And since I'm completely losing track of time, the sunset shortly after. I distinctly remember that Sarah was to my left as I shot this, making me look like a slacker. She had her tripod all set up and was taking measurements I'm sure. But I'm sloppy and shoot handheld.

Andy had said to get uncomfortable (meaning: get outside of your comfort zone and try something new) but while I tried that, sometimes the race against light was a pure battle of wills: WILL I try to learn something and risk the shot or WILL I capture the moment as I'm accustomed to doing it? Hmmm.....

312733603_8kRxA-L.jpg

And this last shot for good measure. Sid and Kevin at the Glen Coe mountains. This was an exceptionally breathtaking place and I think we all wished we'd had more time to spend here. We got acquainted with Emmanuel's tree a short while later, but there were no Hogwarts-esque mountains there.

311574558_674sx-L-1.jpg

Again, more as I get the images processed. I've left some big gaps to fill in the story... :uhoh

Feedback welcome, as always.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    My god Sid...you are looking woolier than some of those highland sheep.
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Alright, time to continue, even though I haven't been processing my shots in order and that sort of makes me :twitch

312733603_8kRxA-L.jpg

Again, more as I get the images processed. I've left some big gaps to fill in the story... :uhoh

Feedback welcome, as always.

Another fantastic series Schmoo, I particularly like this one, it's beautiful clap.gif

I've been struggling with processing the images I took at this spot, you've nailed it here, would you share your process?

Charlie
  • fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Beautiful shots. I desperately want to go back.

For the record sheep outnumber people in Sctoland at somewhere around a ratio of like 30 to 1. How easy would it be for them to take over?ne_nau.gif
    edited June 14, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    Another fantastic series Schmoo, I particularly like this one, it's beautiful clap.gif

I've been struggling with processing the images I took at this spot, you've nailed it here, would you share your process?

Charlie
    Thanks Charlie! Sure I can share, mostly because my workflow is nothing special. :D

I cropped a portion of this shot out because it was the 8mm fisheye and my feet were actually in the shot, but mostly....

.... Curves, curves, curves. I had a bunch of adjustment layers: one for the rocks, one for the water, and a couple for the sky. Of course, I mask out the sections on each layer that I don't want affected. I brought up the overall brightness of the rocks because in my original shot it was pretty underexposed. Once I have those in place, I tweak them to various opacities and in some cases change the layer property to "Luminosity" rather than "Normal," particularly if the saturation gets too fake in the process.

I also tend to use the Selective Color adjustment layer to bring out individual tones such as reds, yellows and blues. For this I often play with the black slider to darken each one slightly but I run the risk of things looking a bit contrasty (or as Kerry calls it: "overcooked" lol3.gif) . In this shot I definitely spent a few minutes making sure the reds in the skies looked real without vanishing into the haze.

Then if I step away for a while and make a pot of tea, come back and I still don't like it I bring up a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and fine-tune the intensity of a specific color.

I hit it once with USM and upload. Most of the trip i was shooting at ISO 100 or 200 which of course gives flexibility in playing with the exposure but it's not perfect. Some of my shots are pretty noisy because I tend to underexpose, even when looking at the histogram. The next time I'm on a workshop I'll have to really remember to work on that.

While I like it overalll, I still think this shot looks a bit "underdeveloped" to me. I know that Marc took a similar shot with his fisheye (since he was standing about 5 feet to my right) and I would very much like to see how he processed his version. mwink.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    clap.gifbowdown.gif

308014240_AjVTK-L.jpg
    edited June 14, 2008
    fire1035 wrote:
    For the record sheep outnumber people in Sctoland at somewhere around a ratio of like 30 to 1. How easy would it be for them to take over?ne_nau.gif
    lol3.gif Hmmm it could be possible... but humans have the advantage of opposable thumbs!

Wow, Andy. +1 thanks!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    this was one of my favs also!!...i like the shadows showing through the forward plant....very interesting!!! and heres my bowdown.gif for the group of shots you have shared! they all are thumb.gif
    Andy wrote:
    clap.gifbowdown.gif

308014240_AjVTK-L.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
  • fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    lol3.gif Hmmm it could be possible... but humans have the advantage of opposable thumbs!

While that is true, the sheep can just troop out and sit on the roads and tie up traffic for hours while the rest of them take over the world. :D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    O wow i hope i was a sheep
    What a beautiful place and photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    OK, my turn to bite.

As the entire forum has surely heard by now, the workshop to Scotland was a huge success. We've all come and gone, had so many waking hours and belly-tiring laughs, and more inside jokes than you can shake several large gorse bushes at.

Hey Schmoo.... These are great... #1 is excellent but #6 (the sheep) is OUTSTANDING! Very well done... thanks for sharing...clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Cheers,