The Serenity of Scotland (Mull and beyond)

2»

Comments

• thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    Thanks Schmoo, I'm still going back over mine and trying to get the processing correct, too many variables, cannot compute... arrghh

Charlie
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Love it !! Magnificent photo.

I agree, beautiful shot!!
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    This is a great thread, Schmoo clap.gif The images are excellent and the commentary really provides insight into what's behind them. When I look at other people's images, I often wonder what made them stop and take that image at that moment. And why did they render it in that particular format, etc. headscratch.gif It's always interesting to hear from other who don't subscribe to the same RBL technique as me (i.e. Random Blind Luck).

Thanks for taking the time to share.
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    This is a great thread, Schmoo clap.gif The images are excellent and the commentary really provides insight into what's behind them. When I look at other people's images, I often wonder what made them stop and take that image at that moment. And why did they render it in that particular format, etc. headscratch.gif It's always interesting to hear from other who don't subscribe to the same RBL technique as me (i.e. Random Blind Luck).

Thanks for taking the time to share.

This was a really nice thing for me to hear today. I spent years just shooting like a machine gun and then sorting through the images first. And it was very frustrating - not a method that works well for me. Something's got to pull me to take and keep a shot and I like to know what other people are thinking when they shoot, too.

But I never really thought of it like that or put it into that context. thumb.gif

Thank you!
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Love that sheep.

They get a bunch of color on the back when they are served by the tup (The tup has a little device that squirts paint when he mates). The ones with paint on the back are females. Not many rams out there really. The young ones usually end up as easter prime lamb, the lambs that are female are checked, if possible good breeding material, they will stay. Otherwise they follow the small males. If there is a chance of a good tup, they will keep a good eye on him. What you mostly see in the meadows or pastures are females with lambs. At least here in North Yorkshire.

I really like that sheep shot. I am curious, did you photoshop it heavily or did you find it like that? I am really interested in how you processed or not processed that one... Beautiful!!!
  • FrogwellFrogwell Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Superb photos Shmoo! clap.gif

More sheep!! Do they paint the coat of the sheep to mark ownership??
    They do indeed. Each farm has a colour and location (the farm I'm on has blue on the rear) so that when the sheep are gathered from common grazing on the hills (or as often as not they've just walked through old fencing) they can be identified.
    Tee Why wrote:
    Nice shot of the ram.
    I think the lady in the photo might take umbrage and being called a man, especially as she's done her wool so nice too :D
    I didn't sell out, I bought in.
    www.frogwell.com
    edited July 21, 2008
    I THINK I am finally approaching the end of processing my Scotland shots. I don't really think the "end" is ever truly defined. Either I am less satisfied with what I brought home or I just am unwilling to take the time to process more.

Going through these as as long after the trip as this makes me really hate the heat of the Maryland summer and wish for the constant cold.

Unfortunately now that so much time has passed I don't really have a story to tell.

It felt like the edge of the world, and we kept creeping closer... closer... and closer...
    314513821_gynef-L.jpg

Emergency!
    335291033_oBtrv-L.jpg

It must be very liberating to be so confused all the time:
    313175939_w2ZNH-L-1.jpg

It was a paradise of blue and green:
    323852303_nUQfj-L.jpg

My own little bluebell world:
    324392143_Embkm-L.jpg

The silence of this afternoon at the beach was probably the purest moment of peace I have yet experienced:
    327036236_b88yu-L.jpg

(It was also the only two-frame vertical pano that worked)

These guys were very hungry... for fisheyes:
    324608102_JhwjA-L.jpg

Mirror of stone, sea, and sky:
    323852179_DuuX6-L.jpg

People, too:
    324608027_Q9y5L-L.jpg

Another kind of lone ranger:
    335291205_4Cg5T-L.jpg

Interestingly, while I'm learning to accept these photos that I brought home, none of them fully convey the images of Scotland that I had in my head.

Thanks for looking in. thumb.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    Ponies!! :D I loved those ponies.

And your caption with that first image immediately brought back that evening for me. We just couldn't seem to get close enough atop that treacherous jumble of rocks. thumb.gif

Love the emergency and mirror of stone images.
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    I see you got to Tobermory too, a wonderful little town in a forgotten corner of the world. Lovely photographs, I like the one in what seems like a glass ball.
    Wonderful job you did, the fisheye becomes you... grin.
    It is hard to capture landscapes that rock your boat if you keep comparing to the real thing, I think yours capture how it was. Your pics are what I remember of Scotland anyway...
    Great job! I wished I could have meet up with you guys...
  • PHOTOemptPHOTOempt Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I THINK I am finally approaching the end of processing my Scotland shots. I don't really think the "end" is ever truly defined. Either I am less satisfied with what I brought home or I just am unwilling to take the time to process more.

Going through these as as long after the trip as this makes me really hate the heat of the Maryland summer and wish for the constant cold.

Unfortunately now that so much time has passed I don't really have a story to tell.

It felt like the edge of the world, and we kept creeping closer... closer... and closer...

Interestingly, while I'm learning to accept these photos that I brought home, none of them fully convey the images of Scotland that I had in my head.

Lovely images Schmoo - a charming postscript to a wonderful (I nearly kept the typo I just made, of "winderful" -it was quite winderful on the rock edges sometimes!) Anyway a wonderful and winderful workshop. These certainly convey Scotland to me, and bring back some great memories. Thank you for teasing us with another little taste. Leave it a few more weeks, and put up a few more, and keep us going in our memory banks! All the best, Sarah
    Sarah A Wager, MB BS

+39 075 878 0642 or on the web at
    www.photoempt.com
    photoempt.smugmug.com
    www.rjslade.com
    and if you are interested in our italian cooking school here in Monte Castello di Vibio check out www.umbriacucina.com
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Very nice series again Schmoo, it's funny I was just going back through my images and found one I'd forgotten about and worked it up and was trying out some things with another when I felt like a break and then found your updated thread.

It's good to know I'm not the only one still trying to get through PP, Wish I was as fast as Marc!

Anyway I won't hijack your thread with my new images but I'll stick 'em up for general consumption.

Charlie
    edited July 23, 2008
    photocat wrote:
    I see you got to Tobermory too, a wonderful little town in a forgotten corner of the world. Lovely photographs, I like the one in what seems like a glass ball.
    Wonderful job you did, the fisheye becomes you... grin.
    It is hard to capture landscapes that rock your boat if you keep comparing to the real thing, I think yours capture how it was. Your pics are what I remember of Scotland anyway...
    Great job! I wished I could have meet up with you guys...

Oh yes! Our home base was Tobermory, although I personally didn't have much experience walking through it. I regret that now because it was so picturesque and would have been a wonderful spot for unique street photography. I have snapshots but it's not the same. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks also to Kerry Sarah and Charlie. I just saw Kerry last week but I certainly miss you Brits! I love the term "memory banks." So true, and we'll keep each other going, eh? thumb.gif