Options

Hailing all Huey users....

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited October 1, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Ran my Huey software..followed the instruction to a "T" and everyting now has a very slight red tinge.........is this where I was off with the default settings that came with monitor or did I miss something......I can re-calibrate and then at the very end add some coolness but I left it at webbrowseing and Photo editing....as I wanted the monitor calibrated for photo editing....I figured that by changing the warmth was notthe correct thing to do......Am I wrong??
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited June 3, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Ran my Huey software..followed the instruction to a "T" and everyting now has a very slight red tinge.........is this where I was off with the default settings that came with monitor or did I miss something......I can re-calibrate and then at the very end add some coolness but I left it at webbrowseing and Photo editing....as I wanted the monitor calibrated for photo editing....I figured that by changing the warmth was notthe correct thing to do......Am I wrong??

Art,

Did you have another utility running like Adobe Gamma or video card color management software?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:

I have a Huey Pro, and have had similar problems off and on since I got it. Sometimes it calibrates better than others. I contacted their tech support and they sent me a new unit that lessened the cast (and shifted the color). I think that part of it is my supremely crappy monitor, which I am replacing today. They have acknowledged that they shipped some units that have bad hardware which seem to work better on some monitors than others. I'll let you know how it works out on the new monitor.

I'm also interested by what ziggy mentioned about the video card management software, as I do have some ATI utility running (the driver installs it automatically). Do they mess up the color or calibration somehow?
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Art,

Did you have another utility running like Adobe Gamma or video card color management software?
    Not that I am aware of....I cliked on the Adobe Gamma Icon in the control panel and it brought up a Wizard so I canceled it.....
    Where else to look??

Thanks
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Went I first got my Huey and calibrated I thought mine had a red tint as well. Needless to say it was the fact my monitor was off and when it was adjusted it all appeared to have a red tint to it. I gave it about 1 week and went back and looked and it was my eyes that were off. Give it time.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    jziegler wrote:
    I'm also interested by what ziggy mentioned about the video card management software, as I do have some ATI utility running (the driver installs it automatically). Do they mess up the color or calibration somehow?

I have been running this PC as it came from the RE-FURB ctr. .....I went into Adobe Gamma a couple of years ago to try and do a calibration.....then my Hdd crased and I never re did it after installing a new hdd and all of my software......and left it at that.

rex wrote:
    Went I first got my Huey and calibrated I thought mine had a red tint as well. Needless to say it was the fact my monitor was off and when it was adjusted it all appeared to have a red tint to it. I gave it about 1 week and went back and looked and it was my eyes that were off. Give it time.

I'm thinking along these lines also....probably just my eyes....it will tell if I get a photo that I know has some really pure white in it and it looks pink.....after setting white balance. :D

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    rex wrote:

Ditto for me. The reason I was calibrating was so that what i see on screen would match my prints when i got them back. I have to say that even though my monitor seems to have a slight tint now what I see on the screen matches what i get from the lab perfectly - so i must be my eyes that were seeing the tint.

Every time i calibrate (every 2 weeks) i see the slight tint which disapears (to me) within day or so of using the machine.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    Does anyone else get a slight tint on the mouse pointer arrow? I just calibrated and see a tint (which I have before also)
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    jziegler wrote:
    Does anyone else get a slight tint on the mouse pointer arrow? I just calibrated and see a tint (which I have before also)
    My Trackball pointer:D is brite white.......the Title box just above this message box has a tint though.....ne_nau.gif

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    I gave up on my Huey. I get better results doing the built-in calibration in OSX (by eye).

My huey gave my display a definite green cast, one that Marc saw right off, and that man knows his color. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I gave up on my Huey. I get better results doing the built-in calibration in OSX (by eye).

My huey gave my display a definite green cast, one that Marc saw right off, and that man knows his color. deal.gif

The bad thing is that BH does not do refunds.....I really hate purchaing software based hardware that cannot be returned but I do want to get the best looking photos I can out of my monitor.....there were more raves than rants about the Huey and being on an un-steady income right now it was all I could afford.....I had been watching the Spyder for a few years and even some of the pro sites gave Huey raves......Oh well Live and learn....hope not to burn:D

• Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    My Trackball pointer:D is brite white.......the Title box just above this message box has a tint though.....ne_nau.gif

That's opposite to what I get. The pointer is pink, the rest of the whites are white.

I'll see what I think in a few days. I had hoped that the better monitor would make the calibration difference less noticeable, but it really didn't. And I still couldn't get all of the rings in their white and black samples to display properly.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited June 4, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Not that I am aware of....I cliked on the Adobe Gamma Icon in the control panel and it brought up a Wizard so I canceled it.....
    Where else to look??

Thanks

Take a look here:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=756&Action=Support&SupportID=3655

Also check for any other color management utilities that might be installing even if you are not aware. The stuff can be sneaky and creep in without your being aware.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Take a look here:

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=756&Action=Support&SupportID=3655

Also check for any other color management utilities that might be installing even if you are not aware. The stuff can be sneaky and creep in without your being aware.

To find other color management utilities would I do a search for color management....man when it comes to finding stuff or knowing what i am looking for in a computer I am a complete dunce.....
    Going to start the removal of all of adobe gamma.....found all the exe's and other files associated with it...

Thanx many times over.........bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I hope you are able to get to the bottom of this Art. I have been using the Little Huey....the $90 one ....for a year now and it has served me well. In fact, others here have complimented my color management and processing repeatedly. I had only one hiccup with it. I ignored the "time to recalibrate" warning dialog for a month or so and everything went to crap. I caught it before I ruined a clients photos, but it gave me a scare. I update my calibration weekly now. BTW....that is the big secret of my color managment!!!rolleyes1.gif Keep it calibrated.

I think that this is the single most important thing a digital photographer can do to improve their overall consistancy and quality of their product.

Good luck...and keep us posted.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    So far I ran a search for adobe Gamma and removed every single file and exe there was....after I was done I did a new search and found a read me and just left it....have not found any thing else I could identify as a color management utility..so I recalibrated.....still have pink tinge....except on my pointer it is white.....so I am going to give it a bit more time to decide if it is just my eyes not being used to seeing a calibrated monitor.......and I do keep it hooked up and on all the time..............I am also getting ready to down load SAFARI for windows and se if it looks different from FF showing the same thing...since it recognizes color management.....orthat is what I have read.....

I did not get the Pro model as I had sent emails to Pantone about the real differences and after a shot discussion on what my plans are towards dual monitors...it was decided that I do not need the pro model as I will be running dual monitors bit only is going to be the actual photoshop palette the other is strictly for the tools to reside on......

• Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    Art,

Do you think it would be helpful to grab a file that you processed before you calibrated....copy it...and adjust it with your newly calibrated system....and post both versions for us to see? My own machine was warm to the max before I calibrated. It took awhile for me to adjust to the coolness of the monitor afterwards. Anyway, if you think it might help, post us an image with both looks and see which we prefer?
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Art,

Do you think it would be helpful to grab a file that you processed before you calibrated....copy it...and adjust it with your newly calibrated system....and post both versions for us to see? My own machine was warm to the max before I calibrated. It took awhile for me to adjust to the coolness of the monitor afterwards. Anyway, if you think it might help, post us an image with both looks and see which we prefer?

I am going to contact Pantone....my screen is very warm compared to what it was.....infact when I wake up mu 'puter it looks real good until Huey comes to life and those little red LED's do their blinking and then it is back to warm....

But....I will see if I have something I PP that has some white in it...ie ...clouds at least...........

I appreciate the thoughtfulness of your posts Jeff............

• Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I am going to contact Pantone....my screen is very warm compared to what it was.....infact when I wake up mu 'puter it looks real good until Huey comes to life and those little red LED's do their blinking and then it is back to warm....

But....I will see if I have something I PP that has some white in it...ie ...clouds at least...........

I appreciate the thoughtfulness of your posts Jeff............

Well I hope they get you straight. BTW...forgot to mention. I always edit with a lot of light in my workspace. I calibrate with all those lights on. I DO NOT allow the huey to make corrections based on ambient light. Just a phobia on my part. Also, I am using a Samsung Synchmaster712N that has been very good to me. A 17"LCD that only cost me a tad over $300 back when I bought it 3 or 4 years ago.

Anyway....again good luck with Pantone, and I sure hope they get you straight!
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    EDIT....Is the white blouse white????
    Here I am on my Dgrin Safari..... you say ????!!!!Dgrin Safari???!!!!.... yeah.....I am on dgrin posting with my newly downloaded browser....Safari.......it is going to ake some getting used to all this drab grey surrounding everything...but my text box here is WHITE ....not a warm off white with oink tinge......with Safari I am not seeing the pink tinge at all.....I still notice it on my Desktop photo and also on FF.......
    So this could be the difference betwixt a browser that recognizes color management {Safari} and one that doesn't{FireFox}???? Yeah that is actually a question not a statement....:D

It is quite nice to see real white again.......since I have been using FF for so dang long I have links, bookmarks and all kinds of stuff attached to FF....wonder how long it will take for me to migrate it over to Safari........... OR until FF catches up.....Hmmmmmm
    Think I may turn on the Huey property of changing with room light to see how Safari reacts.....

Thanks again Jeff for all the help.....

Edit....here is a photo that was processed uncalibrated......tell me what you think.....is the white blouse white is the question.......

50741536_smzi6-L-1.jpg

• Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    Well the top looks a bit hot to me....colorwise...without measuring and using my eyes only, it seems to have a slight purpleish yinge in the shadows around her sides.....so maybe not completely nuetral. At least by my eyes.

FWIW I browse in IE. I have FF loaded, but use it mainly to check to be sure changes I make to my site display and function correctly with that browser.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Well the top looks a bit hot to me....colorwise...without measuring and using my eyes only, it seems to have a slight purpleish yinge in the shadows around her sides.....so maybe not completely nuetral. At least by my eyes.

FWIW I browse in IE. I have FF loaded, but use it mainly to check to be sure changes I make to my site display and function correctly with that browser.

Thanks for looking..... that photo was processed wihout any calibration so maybe I should go thru all of my photos on my site and redo with calibration..... as everything looks much better on Safari.......

• Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Thanks for looking..... that photo was processed wihout any calibration so maybe I should go thru all of my photos on my site and redo with calibration..... as everything looks much better on Safari.......

Do you use the SRGB space? I do.

Forget browsers, how do they look in photoshop?

I don't worry about browsers so much, but rather obsess about how it will look in print.....which might be another thing you can do. Print a non-calibrated edit versus and edit of the same image on calibrated gear......just to be sure you are not going to get a surprise later.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Do you use the SRGB space? I do.

Forget browsers, how do they look in photoshop?

I don't worry about browsers so much, but rather obsess about how it will look in print.....which might be another thing you can do. Print a non-calibrated edit versus and edit of the same image on calibrated gear......just to be sure you are not going to get a surprise later.

Yeah this is where I am at now with the above photo....since it was done non calibrated it will be reworked now that I am calibrated........and I will post back when I am done.....have to go but a new belt on dryer now and change the oil in my car and MC...... have ot mow lawn also..... dang wonder if my work will ever be done:D mwink.gifne_nau.gif

• Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    I use the Huey pro with good results. There are a few things you need to be aware of.

First off, your monitor can only show you the color gamut from sRGB. So if you have images created in the RGB or ProPhoto color space you will not get the results you want.

I had several images that were in the ProPhoto color space and they were very 'pink' on my monitor. When I converted to sRGB they looked good.

I also had better results turning off all the lights in my computer room when calibrating. And...you really should have the same color temperture lights in your room as your monitor is set to...if you use Florescent lights in your room they will cause problems, as will a wide open window will cause variable light and mess up what you see.

The perfect room will have the windows blacked out and 6500K degree bulbs to match your monitor. There are many factors to getting consistent color...one that should not be overlooked is eye-fatigue. take a break every hour or so and refresh your eyes.

Over at shootsmarter.com in the shootsmarterTV section there is a video called the Great Output seminar...it has fantastic information that answers all these questions and more about ink jet printing and monitor calibration. It cost $20 for a month subscription to the video section but there are dozens of videos that are all quite informative.

I am not affiliated with the site :D. Just found the info very helpful.

As for the above photo on my calibrated monitor the white looks hot, detail lost. There is a blueish tinge in areas. The skin tones look warm.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    GMSweetGMSweet Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Art,

Just to let you know, I just received a huey today and had the same thing happen to me. I installed the device and software per the instructions and ended up with a very warm setup. Images in Capture NX and PS Elements showed a nice pinkish white, except for the mouse cursor.

A search at Pantone's support site for huey and red revealed this answer:

trnsp.gif
    Question I have purchased PANTONE huey/PANTONE hueyPRO. After profiling, my monitor is exhibiting an unnatural color cast (greenish, bluish, reddish). This does not seem right to me. How can I correct this? trnsp.gif Answer We have received isolated reports of problems related to color casts after huey/hueyPRO calibration on some displays. For those customers experiencing this we have replacement units which should rectify the problem.
    Please refer to the attachments on this incident and download the serial number reader utility for either Macintosh or Windows, as appropriate. Install this and run it on your system with the PANTONE huey/hueyPRO device attached. The utility will return the internal serial number. Then, go to 'ask a question' at the askPANTONE support site, and submit your inquiry with the following information (we recommend that you print out this question so you have ready access to the requested information):
    • Subject: PANTONE huey color cast, or PANTONE hueyPRO color cast (please use whichever is applicable)
    • The serial number of your device
    • The make/model of your monitor and/or laptop computer.
    • The monitor type, i.e., CRT or LCD
    • The video card in your computer
    • Your complete street address and telephone number. Please note we cannot accept postal box addresses (other than military APO/FPO addresses). Telephone numbers are required for expedited delivery service.
    • The time duration of the failure, i.e., did it happen immediately upon first use, or was it working properly and then suddenly failed?
    Upon receipt of your inquiry, we will confirm it, and arrange to send you a replacement device. You will be contacted with respect to anticipated delivery time.
    Thank you for using askPANTONE.com.

The serial number software was a little odd (file downloaded without the .zip extension, installation did not add the shortcut) but those were easy enough to overcome. Anyway, I submitted the report on mine and am now awaiting their response. I'll post back once I hear from Pantone.

Thanks,

Matt

mnmsweet.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    A little update
    Well back on June 20th I made an offical case with Pantone....got a response (auto of course) that stated it should be resolved with in 3 days.....it wasn't....heard nadda from Pantone..........
    Today I called and what I heard really p*s*e* me off.......Pantone has contacted X-RITE for more Huey and Heuy Pros for replacement of bad copies currently being bought off store shelves.......this sounds like a SEVERE lack of quality control......or absolutely no quality control.......replacements should arrive at Pantone around but not before July21,2008 and I might have my replacement sometime in August..........
    THIS REALLY SUCKS..............
    Rant over..................................................................................................................for now

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2008
    I thought I'd give Pantone another try after my trusty Spyder2Pro ended up with what appeared to be a slightly warm result. UGH: green green green.

Never again.

Anyone want a great price on a Huey Pro? Best offer by tomorrow.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2008
    rutt wrote:
    I thought I'd give Pantone another try after my trusty Spyder2Pro ended up with what appeared to be a slightly warm result. UGH: green green green.

Never again.

Anyone want a great price on a Huey Pro? Best offer by tomorrow.

Aren't all the top Calibration systems owned by the same company??

X-Rite, Pantone and Gretag are all one company now.................. right?? Is there anyone else that is really good?????

• Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    Pantone / Xrite Makes Offer
    I just got an update from Pantone offering thru XRITE this: linky here......is this a truly better option or do I need to aske for a refund and go else where.
    Pantone is suspending all shioppments until they can find the cast problem....seems to me this should have been done months ago when it first started happening...........................

• Options
    GMSweetGMSweet Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    I just got an update from Pantone offering thru XRITE this: linky here......is this a truly better option or do I need to aske for a refund and go else where.
    Pantone is suspending all shioppments until they can find the cast problem....seems to me this should have been done months ago when it first started happening...........................

Art,

I just got the same offer. After looking at the reviews on Amazon, I'm going to take them up on it. I appreciate that Pantone is attempting to make it right by providing this option. After submitting the problem through their website, I had to send 3 requests for updates (I got tired of waiting on hold after an hour) with the final request being an "improvement feedback" stating that a manager should be reviewing the case so that a customer can at least get a response regarding the problem. I'm going to move away from the Huey setups and hopefully have success with the X-Rite. I'll post back once I get the X-Rite.

Thanks,

Matt