Options

New photo tools?

2»

Comments

• Options
    eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Hmm.. I must be missing something here. When I want to move some images to the front of my gallery, I go to "Arrange Photos" and click on each image that belongs at the top (or click and drag, now!) and then click "quick move: start". It gets the job done quickly, and leaves me on a page where it's easy to scoot other photos around if needed.

Would that work for you?

-Anne

Anne, are you saying that in the Arrange Photos you can click and drag? I just tried it and I cannot drag within Arrange Photos. I can, however, click and drag within Drag to Arrange, but I can't seem to select multiple photos in that feature, so it is a bit cumbersome to click and drag if I want to arrange a lot of photos - plus no file names as mentioned in a previous post.
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    eenusa wrote:
    Anne, are you saying that in the Arrange Photos you can click and drag? I just tried it and I cannot drag within Arrange Photos. I can, however, click and drag within Drag to Arrange, but I can't seem to select multiple photos in that feature, so it is a bit cumbersome to click and drag if I want to arrange a lot of photos - plus no file names as mentioned in a previous post.

Sorry, I re-read my post and realized it wasn't very clear.

I meant to say "click and drag to select". The bulk tools now work like your operating systme probably does, where you click the mouse button, hold it, and move it over many images at once. When you release the button, all those images will be selected.

So if the last five images in the gallery should be moved to the front, click click and drag to highlight all five. Release your mouse button. Then click the "quick move: start" button.

Just to be clear, I'm offering this as an alternative to going to those five images in the Arrange Photos (Expert) tool and numbering them 1 through 5.

-Anne
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Yes, we've been working on a photo tools cleanup to make them simpler and more polished, with a few new features. We have more to do but this seemed like a nice step forward.

The drag to arrange tool, for example, lets you select multiple photos to arrange at a time instead of just one. Hopefully the pro pricing tool, rotate tool, and a few others are a whole lot more obvious than they were before.

I really like the "new look" of the photo tools displays...nice work!

I know it's been requested (in the Feature Requests forum I think), but "while you're at it...", I hope one of the new features you hinted at above is clearly marking any "hidden" photos (those with the "hide photo" box checked) in all multi-image views, including Arrange, Bulk Capiton/Keyword, etc...a red "x" watermark across the face of the thumbnail or something similar would be very helpful.

I'd like to see which photo's I've already hidden clearly marked when I'm in the Delete Photos tool, the Drag/Drop Arrange tool, the Move Photos tool, the Rotate tool, or Bulk Caption/Keyword tool etc.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    On the other tools, hovering your mouse over the info icon on each thumbnail displays the filename, caption, and a larger image. Is it the effort involved with hovering your mouse that is the problem? Or is there a tool where we're missing the filenames entirely?

Okay, so I figured we're all probably visual people so a visual sample of what I'm talking about would be useful.

The screen grab below is what it looks like in bulk delete after hovering over the image. There are no file names. So based on Anne's post, this feature is not working properly. Is SM looking at fixing this?

It just seems very out-of-character for SM to either remove a very useful feature and/or to release something that apparently isn't working properly. Any estimate on when we might be able to see file names in bulk delete again?

I realize I'm really pushing this issue, but this is very, very important feature for me (and many others even if SM doesn't think so).

98228720.jpg

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Arrange Tool
    Please take note of the severe problem I'm having with arranging photos. I have placed several notices in the bug report thread. I haven't heard a response yet.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=844599&postcount=255
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    What I don't get is why SM is trying to argue against this?
    Hey Pete, hang in there... I expect you'll be happy again by the time next release comes. Sorry for the hassle.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hey Pete, hang in there... I expect you'll be happy again by the time next release comes. Sorry for the hassle.

Thanks for the reply, Andy. Hope that next release comes soon!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Sorry, I re-read my post and realized it wasn't very clear.

I meant to say "click and drag to select". The bulk tools now work like your operating systme probably does, where you click the mouse button, hold it, and move it over many images at once. When you release the button, all those images will be selected.

So if the last five images in the gallery should be moved to the front, click click and drag to highlight all five. Release your mouse button. Then click the "quick move: start" button.

Just to be clear, I'm offering this as an alternative to going to those five images in the Arrange Photos (Expert) tool and numbering them 1 through 5.

-Anne

IN DRAG TO ARRANGE: I tried the "click drag over images" and see that I can select multiple images that way (normally in Windows, I do the shift or ctrl click to select multiple images). That said, when I then try to move those selected images (without first clicking again), they don't move, and if I hover over the selected images and click on the assumption that I have to click again like I would in a Windows environment to move the selected images, only the image I clicked on gets moved, the rest do not. (I am not a novice when it comes to moving files around, by the way, but this tool has me stumped when it comes to arranging multiple images.)
  • Options
    Mike KalcevicMike Kalcevic Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Arrange Photos: Expert - Bring back the old way
    ne_nau.gifAt least leave us the option to do the arranging by the old number way. These new "upgrades"... they're not helping. When one has hundreds of photos in one gallery, do you really think we want to have to do the drag and drop??? It takes forever.

At least leave us the options to do it the old way. I know this new crap is fancy and everything... but the old adage applies... If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :bash
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    I've got a quick request about the new layout for the "Color Effects" tool. I like the fact that the photos are bigger, but now it is difficult to compare the individual color effects with each other. In particular, I frequently compare the "Auto Color" with the "Tanning Salon". This is now very difficult, since they are separated by the "Sepia" effect, and I can't get the two images on the page simultaneously.

The simple fix would be to move "Sepia" to after "Tanning Salon". Even better would be to have an option to switch sizes....
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    PBolchover wrote:
    I've got a quick request about the new layout for the "Color Effects" tool. I like the fact that the photos are bigger, but now it is difficult to compare the individual color effects with each other. In particular, I frequently compare the "Auto Color" with the "Tanning Salon". This is now very difficult, since they are separated by the "Sepia" effect, and I can't get the two images on the page simultaneously.

The simple fix would be to move "Sepia" to after "Tanning Salon". Even better would be to have an option to switch sizes....

Thanks for the feedback. thumb.gif

When I open my window wide, I get the previews going two across, so auto and tanning salon are next to each other verticallly (if that makes sense). That's on my 15" laptop so a smaller display might only see the photos in a single column.

It's possible we'll change this, but in the meantime... maybe try opening that same tool in two windows so you can look at the different color effects side-by-side?

As a side note, I always make a second copy first, so if I don't like the effect I chose, I can delete it, make a second copy of the original and go with a different color effect. :D

-Anne
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    After spending lots of time rearranging photos, I see in this thread that I could have group-selected my images and moved them. What a Great Thing!

Thing is, I've tried and tried. It just doesn't seem to work.

So, is it working - or not? Or maybe only in certain browsers? I'm using Firefox.

thanks,
    teresa