Options

Stupid queston

2»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Thank you Scott, you are always very helpful! I'm printing your reply!! I understand how light works, that's not the problem, it's the hardware i'm freaking out about :o)

I will let you all know what i'm going to end up with. Shall be interesting week.

Thanks all again, was educational, non the less clap.gif
    Marina,

Don't freak about the hardware. It's not rocket science (I know, I used to work with rocket scientists :D).

It really is as easy as setting up the lights, figuring out where you want the light and in what relative intensities, and then triggering the light(s) at the same time you press the shutter release. It is sooooo much easier than hot lights that there's no comparison.

So, get yourself a pair or three AB strobes (and supporting hardware). Give them a go. If you don't like them, post them for sale in the flea market and you'll get (probably) 90% of your investment back. No worries.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Marina,

Don't freak about the hardware. It's not rocket science (I know, I used to work with rocket scientists :D).

It really is as easy as setting up the lights, figuring out where you want the light and in what relative intensities, and then triggering the light(s) at the same time you press the shutter release. It is sooooo much easier than hot lights that there's no comparison.

So, get yourself a pair or three AB strobes (and supporting hardware). Give them a go. If you don't like them, post them for sale in the flea market and you'll get (probably) 90% of your investment back. No worries.

FYI, I just rented a two light Profoto set with a softbox, an umbrella and two stands. It costs $50 rental for one day. I spent a couple hours in the living room take lots of different test shots at all sorts of varying ratios of power between the two lights and a number of different positions. You can really start to get the feel for it in a few hours of practice. So, if you're at all unsure what you want to buy, it might be worth it to rent some equipment and learn before you buy. Some places will even apply the rental (or a portion of it) towards a purchase (if that's a good place to buy).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    FYI, I just rented a two light Profoto set with a softbox, an umbrella and two stands. It costs $50 rental for one day. I spent a couple hours in the living room take lots of different test shots at all sorts of varying ratios of power between the two lights and a number of different positions. You can really start to get the feel for it in a few hours of practice. So, if you're at all unsure what you want to buy, it might be worth it to rent some equipment and learn before you buy. Some places will even apply the rental (or a portion of it) towards a purchase (if that's a good place to buy).

Good thing John!
    Or, if you lucky as I was to have a friend (hi, Kathy!) with a similar setup, so you can do it w/o rental fees:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    jfriend wrote:

John, i was thinking about doing just that. And i think it might be my best bet at this point. I need to find a place who rents it. Down this way we're not as safisticated as you guys are out there :D

Thanks for suggestion!! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8