Options

Son and his sweetheart

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited June 12, 2008 in People

Comments

• Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Those colors are just popping off my monitor...wow beautiful Jeff!
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Very nice photos!! iloveyou.gif

If anything I would photoshopp the top of his shirt away (on his back) / #1. (I hope you know what I mean.)

Looks like you had some gorgeous light & a beautiful location!
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Ohhhh good catch on the back of the shirt.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    Those colors are just popping off my monitor...wow beautiful Jeff!

Thanks Seneca...

:D
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:

If anything I would photoshopp the top of his shirt away (on his back) / #1. (I hope you know what I mean.)

Thanks Agnieszka!!!

#1 is all natural lighting.

#2...I provided my own light on the shady side of the column.

Is the shirt a little better now?rolleyes1.gif ....My wife had already spotted that, but I forgot to correct it in my haste.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks Agnieszka!!!

#1 is all natural lighting.

#2...I provided my own light on the shady side of the column.

Is the shirt a little better now?rolleyes1.gif ....My wife had already spotted that, but I forgot to correct it in my haste.

Perfect thumb.gif

(You should think about hosting a Jeff-light-bootcamp one day!!!) Very nice done!
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Perfect thumb.gif

(You should think about hosting a Jeff-light-bootcamp one day!!!) Very nice done!

Agnies....it's not the light....it is the shade......these were taken at 10:23am and 10:41am respectively. Not a smart time to be taking photos here this time of year!

so... I'll think about a Jeffshade boot camp? mwink.gif

Shall I book you now?rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Agnies....it's not the light....it is the shade......

so... I'll think about a Jeffshade boot camp? mwink.gif

Shall I book you now?rolleyes1.gif

Oh, and I thought you did some light magic ... I thought they were in the shade of the columns, but then you can see their (well, her) shadows on the columns ... so I thought you did some kind of magic light installation rolleyes1.gif Haha ... I give up.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Oh, and I thought you did some light magic ... I thought they were in the shade of the columns, but then you can see their (well, her) shadows on the columns ... so I thought you did some kind of magic light installation rolleyes1.gif Haha ... I give up.

In photo#2
    I used a speedlight on a stand at about their shoulder level located at camera right....and about 5 feet from them. It was quite a ways from me. This is a full length shot with an 85mm prime, so you can imagine how far away I was. The shot has been cropped a little to eliminate a trash can on the right side near the railing. I used the built-in flip down diffuser on the flash as well as a CT blue Phoxle gel.

Don't give up...I didn't mean to confuse you. Yes I created a shadow on the column, but look at the ground....the shadows fall the other way. I was on the shaded side of the column...and on the west side of the building...so the sun was overhead and to my right....out of sight completely.

My "jeffshade bootcamp" remark is only to mean that I prefer not to work in the light, but rather in the shade...almost always. Yes I use flash most of the time, but can better CONTROL what is going on with lighting if working in shade. Get it now?
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    In photo#2
    I used a speedlight on a stand at about their shoulder level located at camera right....and about 5 feet from them. It was quite a ways from me. This is a full length shot with an 85mm prime, so you can imagine how far away I was. The shot has been cropped a little to eliminate a trash can on the right side near the railing. I used the built-in flip down diffuser on the flash as well as a CT blue Phoxle gel.

Don't give up...I didn't mean to confuse you. Yes I created a shadow on the column, but look at the ground....the shadows fall the other way. I was on the shaded side of the column...and on the west side of the building...so the sun was overhead and to my right....out of sight completely.

My "jeffshade bootcamp" remark is only to mean that I prefer not to work in the light, but rather in the shade...almost always. Yes I use flash most of the time, but can better CONTROL what is going on with lighting if working in shade. Get it now?

Oh I see ... makes sense now. Uhm .... yeah ... Got to say, I'm always impressed with your light ... sorry SHADE techniques!!! :D Great job!
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Oh I see ... makes sense now. Uhm .... yeah ... Got to say, I'm always impressed with your light ... sorry SHADE techniques!!! :D Great job!

thumb.gif

Thanks.....

You are seeing things my way now. mwink.gif People always say...the light is so nice....but I am working in shade....if I were actually out in the light it would look less inspiring...so....yes...I work in gorgeous shade! :D
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    thumb.gif

Thanks.....

You are seeing things my way now. mwink.gif People always say...the light is so nice....but I am working in shade....if I were actually out in the light it would look less inspiring...so....yes...I work in gorgeous shade! :D

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Looks like excellent exposure and white balance to me. Kudos! clap.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    I love this set, Jeff! The framing and colors in #2 are just fantastic. I love how you worked in the wrought iron and exposed the bg foliage bokeh. Very detailed and perfect balance, you perfectionist you!

Speaking of perfectionism...you might PS out the lines in her bra before printing. :D

We want to see more! I always love seeing photos of these two.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    These are great Jeff. I especially like #2. What white balance are you set at with your CT Blue gel?
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Looks like excellent exposure and white balance to me. Kudos! clap.gif

Thanks E!
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I love this set, Jeff! The framing and colors in #2 are just fantastic. I love how you worked in the wrought iron and exposed the bg foliage bokeh. Very detailed and perfect balance, you perfectionist you!

Speaking of perfectionism...you might PS out the lines in her bra before printing. :D

We want to see more! I always love seeing photos of these two.

Well hello, and welcome to DGRIN!!!! rolleyes1.gif

STRANGER

Thanks Lynne, I was trying to get some consistancy from my 85mm lens, and used it in both these shots. Both were shot on LSU campus. #1 was near the lakes, and #2 is on the front landing of the Law Bldg. Not sure either of these will ever make it to print, but if they decide to print, I'll take care of those lines! Our primary reason for getting out with a camera was to get some cap and gown shots of her, and then some of the two of them together. I am still working on those, but did snatch one of her leaping for the DGRIN challenge.

Thanks for looking....and good to hear from ya!:D
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    These are great Jeff. I especially like #2. What white balance are you set at with your CT Blue gel?

I shoot in "cloudy"....but....I adjust to my own tastes in Lightroom. Anything other than "auto WB" would work I suppose, but cloudy seems to give me closest to where I will take it in post.

"auto" will make some adjustments to compensate for flash temps...but since the camera doesn't know it has a gel on it....eek7.gif

...but you already knew that part!

Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I shoot in "cloudy"....but....I adjust to my own tastes in Lightroom. Anything other than "auto WB" would work I suppose, but cloudy seems to give me closest to where I will take it in post.

"auto" will make some adjustments to compensate for flash temps...but since the camera doesn't know it has a gel on it....eek7.gif

...but you already knew that part!

Thanks for looking.

Thanks Jeff. Does my blue marker on tracing paper count as a ct blue gel? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Thanks Jeff. Does my blue marker on tracing paper count as a ct blue gel? mwink.gif

Probably not....

I know you are joking but...

The intensity of the blue over the flash can have a dramatic impact even at seemingly small changes in intensity. I used to use a 1/2CTB LEE filter all the time. It is much bluer than the gel used in these two examples. Even with WB set to cloudy, the photos with that gel appeared blue on the LCD. Of course, I was over-blueing the flash. The benifit there is that when corrected for the blue in LR, the background goes super warm. A nice effect, but not the right approach for all situations.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Probably not....

I know you are joking but...

The intensity of the blue over the flash can have a dramatic impact even at seemingly small changes in intensity. I used to use a 1/2CTB LEE filter all the time. It is much bluer than the gel used in these two examples. Even with WB set to cloudy, the photos with that gel appeared blue on the LCD. Of course, I was over-blueing the flash. The benifit there is that when corrected for the blue in LR, the background goes super warm. A nice effect, but not the right approach for all situations.

Ooooooo! I like it. So now I have to ask the question, at what temperature could you shoot to create the same effect in camera. If you make the temperature change in Lightroom or some other RAW conversion software, it should be possible to shoot it right in camera as the same temperature values are available in camera as they are in software. Is this right? Thanks for the insight. Gotta start shooting more.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Ooooooo! I like it. So now I have to ask the question, at what temperature could you shoot to create the same effect in camera. If you make the temperature change in Lightroom or some other RAW conversion software, it should be possible to shoot it right in camera as the same temperature values are available in camera as they are in software. Is this right? Thanks for the insight. Gotta start shooting more.

I dunno?headscratch.gif

I use Canon's bottom bin camera...the XTi. This is one area where I haven't had success with it. The UI for tweaking WB is alien to me, and I usually make matters worse than better. Most of the time I wind up in the 6000K range in LR. Probably between 5500K to 6500K would be the upper and lower limits for 99% of them....but...to be honest I am adjusting for my own tastes rather than a true white. I lean warm on most of my images. That may or may not help you, but if you are a Nikon guy...I think their UI is better in that regard?
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    This might just be me, but in the standing up poses the girls' bra is very... prominent. Could something like that be softened or taken out in photoshop? I might be the only one that noticed that, though.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:

I like to outfit models, that way I pick the fabrics that lay and smooth the way I want them to, you know what I mean?
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2008
    I like to outfit models, that way I pick the fabrics that lay and smooth the way I want them to, you know what I mean?

I have never worked with a model. I photograph real people who dress themselves!!rolleyes1.gif

Yes it can be fixed in photoshop, and the white shirt she referred to already has been.
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    I am only seeing #1 for some reason.
    The only thing I see that I would change is have him take the watch off.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Jeff really nice photo. I was reviewing your tips on shooting seniors tonight. Really like your lighting! I am just venturing out with my flash. I have the 580EX. Had a few questions if you don't mind.

1. Do you shoot on AV or manual?

2. If AV and using flash, what metering mode do you mostly use?

Trying to get the fill without it looking like flash. Any tips to offer? Worked mostly in manual today with flash and the results weren't too bad.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Yes....a proud PaPa :D. Nice shots Jeff. Geez...you have like 3 leaving the house in a matter of a year and a half or so, eh? Then what???? You might have money to buy some more equipment....chances are, they'll call from college with the "key words"...I Need...Laughing.gif

Very nice photos. Loving your processing.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I have never worked with a model. I photograph real people who dress themselves!!rolleyes1.gif

Yes it can be fixed in photoshop, and the white shirt she referred to already has been.

Tell them polyester blends are nobody's friend!
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    I am only seeing #1 for some reason.
    The only thing I see that I would change is have him take the watch off.

Take Care,
    Chuck,

Sorry, I had to move some things around for an interview/spotlight on another website and accidentally moved the wrong copy. You should be able to see it now.