Options

SM print service - Do you use it and for what?

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 15, 2005
    minoltaman wrote:

24595125.wildeyes10x8forKj.jpg
    I hope others are reading this because I'm spending a lot of time not writing help sections to do this for a guy who doesn't order prints. :D

This is a lovely shot and I'm disadvantaged because I don't know her. Having seen so many of these go through and and a few just like it be returned, my guess is 49 of 50 customers would accept it.

For one thing, she's not fair-skinned and it's fair-skinned caucasians who generate most returns. But her face is on the red side, something everyone is usually hyper allergic to, and saturation is high. We didn't shoot Fuji Velvia films for people for a good reason. When magenta saturation gets to 50%, you're flirting with the nuclear zone.

i2e, of course, would take no risks with this shot because commercial labs don't want risks, so it would reduce skin saturation especially in the magenta. It takes away some of the character of the shot, but this one will never come back from the client (unless it was a fine-art photographer who did the buying, and they would choose true color and get the deeper saturations).

To your eye, it will no doubt look sallow but if she was the buyer, she would probably consider it more flattering.

The main thing I don't like is it took the red out of her lips.

19725971-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    I can't check this thread anymore today because stuff is piling up on my list, but you still have to explain why, it it were a white balance issue with the man Andy shot, your adjustment has skin so out of range.

The definition of white balance is the white is balanced, which it is. The T-shirt is white.

i2e also made the shirt white but didn't kill the skin:

19725970-M.jpg

This thread has made a very compelling case for the dangers of true color.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 15, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    I hope others are reading this because I'm spending a lot of time not writing help sections to do this for a guy who doesn't order prints. :D

This is a lovely shot and I'm disadvantaged because I don't know her. Having seen so many of these go through and and a few just like it be returned, my guess is 49 of 50 customers would accept it.

For one thing, she's not fair-skinned and it's fair-skinned caucasians who generate most returns. But her face is on the red side, something everyone is usually hyper allergic to, and saturation is high. We didn't shoot Fuji Velvia films for people for a good reason. When magenta saturation gets to 50%, you're flirting with the nuclear zone.

i2e, of course, would take no risks with this shot because commercial labs don't want risks, so it would reduce skin saturation especially in the magenta. It takes away some of the character of the shot, but this one will never come back from the client (unless it was a fine-art photographer who did the buying, and they would choose true color and get the deeper saturations).

To your eye, it will no doubt look sallow but if she was the buyer, she would probably consider it more flattering.

19725971-M.jpg
    I hope people are reading this thread too. This gal at one time was one of the hottest young fiddle players in the nation for the all girls act out of Nashville called Mustang Sally. She was very tan and had a ton of makeup on her face and in real life she looked a little sun basted (reddish) in the face. These two prints were sold to her and her mother and they just loved them as I even got an extra card in the mail thanking me on these two.

Yup, this one is not a fair skinned example. I have posted many of those as streetshots later in the thread. I say without being there when the shot was taken, a third party has no real clue as to what the actual skin color and skin tone was like and to him it is only a guess as to what the real tones are supposed to be. So the third party editor then sets up the image to colors and tones that he prefers and not to how the image or person really looked when the image was captured.

BTW, from the looks of it, a few people are following this thread.

Cheers

-don
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    I'm reading, but it's a little confusing and I really want to see those help sections... I need help!

Note to self: Don't ever take pictures of people! Especially fair-skinned ones! :D
  • Options
    MitchMitch Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    ICC and me
    Ok...I'm going to jump back in here.icon10.gif

First I want to say...Your guy over at SM are awsomeclap.gif.

The new cart looks great and works as well as it looks, I've already ordered some prints. Among the prints I ordered was the 8X10 Calibration print, if your going to do something might as well try and do it right.

My monitor is calibrated, color space for any images destined to be uploaded to SM are in sRGB, and I download and installed the ICC for ezprint. So far so good.

Ok so what should I do with the ICC. I seem to remember SM removes the ICC from the .JPG file for the thumbnail (I believe). Should I still imbed the ezprint ICC into the .JPG file or is the ICC only for proofing?

Thanks

[font=&quot]Mitch [/font]
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Mitch wrote:
    Ok...I'm going to jump back in here.icon10.gif
    First I want to say...Your guy over at SM are awsomeclap.gif.

The new cart looks great and works as well as it looks, I've already ordered some prints. Among the prints I ordered was the 8X10 Calibration print, if your going to do something might as well try and do it right.

My monitor is calibrated, color space for any images destined to be uploaded to SM are in sRGB, and I download and installed the ICC for ezprint. So far so good.

Ok so what should I do with the ICC. I seem to remember SM removes the ICC from the .JPG file for the thumbnail (I believe). Should I still imbed the ezprint ICC into the .JPG file or is the ICC only for proofing?

Thanks

[font=&quot]Mitch [/font]
    No don't embed it. Just use the ezprints profile to soft proof with and then convert the image to srgb and send it up and you will be good with one notable exception. Smugmug peeps (as do some other experts) say you should do some CMYK proof work on heavy fleshtone scenes to avoid nuking the faces. Other than that just use the exprints profile to soft proof with.

-don
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    I can't check this thread anymore today because stuff is piling up on my list, but you still have to explain why, it it were a white balance issue with the man Andy shot, your adjustment has skin so out of range.

The definition of white balance is the white is balanced, which it is. The T-shirt is white.

i2e also made the shirt white but didn't kill the skin:

19725970-M.jpg

This thread has made a very compelling case for the dangers of true color.
    #1 First off I told you a few times already the monitor I used on the edit was whacked. I don't know why you keep referring to that example?
    #2 the original is so far from a good capture that, well you know what I mean...auto does work on some images best, especially ones where you don't have clue as to where to start, some images are just are that bad
    #3 YUp, I agree most people should not use true color, as one kink in the editing chain may cause major errors.
    #4 I still don't have my ps box recalibrated again yet. I will take another editing wack at it later.
    #5 I am no skintone guru by any means, I rely on the capture to get things right when it comes to people shots. I can do some editing on somethings but people are not my favorite by any means. Luckilly, I can usually print people shots straight up with no substantial edits, other than maybe a clone or a heal and a slight levels boost. I tend to underexpose things, so I am pretty used to my processes on this stuff. My point here is, with autocolor it is easy to get something in range, but it won't neccesarily be an accurate reflection of what reality was or what you or anyone else saw on that day.
    #6 You have to remember that almost everyones monitor looks different calibrated or not. The key is to get the white balance/color temperature and exposure correct in the field and all of this editing stuff becomes mute. At least on properly expoosed natural light outdoor shots, that is.
    #7 Again, true color isn't for everyone and someone who thinks it is may be might be asking for trouble. However, I say it is the best way to go about processing ones own images when done correctly.

-don
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Mitch wrote:
    Among the prints I ordered was the 8X10 Calibration print, if your going to do something might as well try and do it right.

Great, Mitch!

From the more-than-you-may-want-to-know department, here's a great reference on getting prints and monitors to match:

http://hutchcolor.com/PDF/Soft_Proofing_tips6.pdf

There are 3 big problems with doing it:

1. You're seeing reflected lights from the prints but transmitted from the monitor. Are your customers opening their prints at work (fluorescent = green), home (tungsten = yellow), or inside during the day (sunlight = more blue).

2. The monitor tends to look brighter, depending on the ambient light, because monitors are getting brigther all the time. At work, maybe not.

3. The words of death: "it looked good on my calibrated monitor."

A critical point is you can't calibrate your eyes. They are self-calibrating, meaning they remove color casts. Stare at a lone photo on your screen for 20 seconds and you lose the ability to see its color cast.

That's why I was placing photos side-by-side in the thread above.

Not so in a room where you view prints. You have your hands, other reference points, etc.

You quickly learn to ignore what people think they see on the monitor. It's what you measure with the eyedropper tool that matters.

But calibration prints have a massively useful function because it gives you a qualitative feel for how monitors translate into what a customer is really going to hold in their hands. Try as we'd like to make it an exact science, I'm afraid that understanding how people's eyes really work is far more important.

For example, on large prints they'll believe they are more saturated. It's the paint chip effect.

When their blood sugar's highest, they'll see the most vibrant colors.

Pinkish fair skinned caucasians don't want to look like they really are. They want to look like Indiana Jones.

It's a people business and just like the like certain poses and smiles which you quickly learn from experience, they have tastes in how they should look in print.

The normal tastes are undersharpened skin but sharp eyes and lips, possibly hair. Undersaturated skin.

More than you wanted to know? It's intersting to me, anyway, to check out pro galleries that do a high volume of print sales without returns. They tend to look like this:

http://erikolsenphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/124050/2/5217155/Large
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    I had one of my shots printed directly onto canvas yesterday.. some type of printing machine handles the material ...just a thought if anyone at SM wanted to see the result i can take a shot of it & post it.

Looks great. Feels like an oil painting...quite hard to tell its not.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I had one of my shots printed directly onto canvas yesterday.. some type of printing machine handles the material ...just a thought if anyone at SM wanted to see the result i can take a shot of it & post it.

Looks great. Feels like an oil painting...quite hard to tell its not.

was it a velvet elvis?

ElvisRedTunicRedLite.jpeg
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    andy wrote:
    was it a velvet elvis?
    Didnt know elvis was a boxer ?
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Didnt know elvis was a boxer ?

naw yer thinking of dogs playing poker:

Dogs_Playing_Poker_Waterloo.gif
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Many people are having good success printing to canvas, that's great.

Ok Baldy, I tweaked that junk monitor a bit and in a very quick minute or two came up with this. Top is andy's shot, your autofix is in the middle, and my edit on the bottom.

19689503-M.jpg
    19689507-M.jpg
    edit2.jpg
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    with all due respect..
    ##2 & 3 are plain washed out...:-(

Again, I may not have a good monitor, but it does look washed out on all 4 I have access to (21" nokia crt, 20" dell WS LCD, two 19" ELOs).

Baldy's face may be less red, but at this point who cares about the skin if you can't see 25% of his face..ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    minoltaman wrote:
    Many people are having good success printing to canvas, that's great.

Ok Baldy, I tweaked that junk monitor a bit and in a very quick minute or two came up with this. Top is andy's shot, your autofix is in the middle, and my edit on the bottom.

19689503-M.jpg
    19689507-M.jpg
    edit2.jpg

I've found this thread to be vastly interesting, but I have some concerns about that bottom shot.

- the trees in the background are bright yellow, rather than green/yellow as they should be
    - the skin tone looks like death warmed over.
    - lots of detail loss in the background, entire trees are missing
    - the black smugmug writing now looks green

Maybe there's some sort of colorspace mismatch going on or something? Certainly doesn't look well-calibrated from where I sit - Andy's version looks more accurate, even.

Don
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    I've found this thread to be vastly interesting, but I have some concerns about that bottom shot.

- the trees in the background are bright yellow, rather than green/yellow as they should be

Maybe there's some sort of colorspace mismatch going on or something? Certainly doesn't look well-calibrated from where I sit - Andy's version looks more accurate, even.

Don

the interesting part, is, the shot of "that man" is totally unprocessed... i dumped 'em off to you guys and that was that....
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

Don
    I'll be back later.

Trees are not missing, they were quiclky removed as they were distracting as were other parts of the image. Andy's image is not even presentable as it is terrible as it is. Baldy's auto fix has bad shadow detail and the eyes look terrible. And no, the monitor is nort dead on. I'll be back....
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

Again, I may not have a good monitor, but it does look washed out on all 4 I have access to (21" nokia crt, 20" dell WS LCD, two 19" ELOs).

Baldy's face may be less red, but at this point who cares about the skin if you can't see 25% of his face..ne_nau.gif

Ouch, that means both Baldy's auto correct and my hack job...

interesting....
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    minoltaman wrote:
    I'll be back later.

Trees are not missing, they were quiclky removed as they were distracting as were other parts of the image. Andy's image is not even presentable as it is terrible as it is.

well, smugmug tried to get you, but evidently you weren't available, so they settled for the "second-rate photographer..."

nod.gif
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2005
    andy wrote:
    the interesting part, is, the shot of "that man" is totally unprocessed... i dumped 'em off to you guys and that was that....

Yeah, it's been mentioned in this thread before, but let's be clear: Andy's an excellent photographer and truly excellent at color correction, too.

This is a completely unprocessed shot right of the camera, and thus, perfect for these comparisons and the near-infrared problem.

Don
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Yeah, it's been mentioned in this thread before, but let's be clear: Andy's an excellent photographer and truly excellent at color correction, too.

This is a completely unprocessed shot right of the camera, and thus, perfect for these comparisons and the near-infrared problem.

Don
    I would like to see you prove this is a special case of a near-infrared problem. I'm betting it's not anything any more special than a regular old run-of-the-mill difficult exposure like some of us encounter every day.

It was just tough exposure for the camera/operator, and was improperly white balanced it looks like to me. I never, ever, have seen anything like this from my digitals when I am shooting outdoors and properly set-up. Properly balanced and reasonably exposed outdoor shots will not look like that example with any lens that I know of.

-don
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Note to self: Don't ever take pictures of people! Especially fair-skinned ones! :D
    I'm right there with you flyingpylon15524779-Ti.gif

And to think this all started because I asked what I thought was a simple questionlol8.gif
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    andy wrote:
    well, smugmug tried to get you, but evidently you weren't available, so they settled for the "second-rate photographer..."

nod.gif
    Not me, I'm just a hack with an old point and shoot.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Minoltaman,

Thanks for the info

Mitch
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

That means both Baldy's fancy autofix and my quick hack job...

Interesting, Nik.

Are you on a Mac?

-don
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    From the more-than-you-may-want-to-know department, here's a great reference on getting prints and monitors to match:

http://hutchcolor.com/PDF/Soft_Proofing_tips6.pdf

There are 3 big problems with doing it:

1. You're seeing reflected lights from the prints but transmitted from the monitor. Are your customers opening their prints at work (fluorescent = green), home (tungsten = yellow), or inside during the day (sunlight = more blue).

2. The monitor tends to look brighter, depending on the ambient light, because monitors are getting brigther all the time. At work, maybe not.

3. The words of death: "it looked good on my calibrated monitor."

A critical point is you can't calibrate your eyes. They are self-calibrating, meaning they remove color casts. Stare at a lone photo on your screen for 20 seconds and you lose the ability to see its color cast.

That's why I was placing photos side-by-side in the thread above.

Not so in a room where you view prints. You have your hands, other reference points, etc.

You quickly learn to ignore what people think they see on the monitor. It's what you measure with the eyedropper tool that matters.

But calibration prints have a massively useful function because it gives you a qualitative feel for how monitors translate into what a customer is really going to hold in their hands. Try as we'd like to make it an exact science, I'm afraid that understanding how people's eyes really work is far more important.

For example, on large prints they'll believe they are more saturated. It's the paint chip effect.

When their blood sugar's highest, they'll see the most vibrant colors.

Pinkish fair skinned caucasians don't want to look like they really are. They want to look like Indiana Jones.

It's a people business and just like the like certain poses and smiles which you quickly learn from experience, they have tastes in how they should look in print.

The normal tastes are undersharpened skin but sharp eyes and lips, possibly hair. Undersaturated skin.

More than you wanted to know? It's intersting to me, anyway, to check out pro galleries that do a high volume of print sales without returns. They tend to look like this:

http://erikolsenphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/124050/2/5217155/Large
    Thanks Baldy for the info. May be more than I want to know but I would bet it is something I may need to know. But I am having a little trouble with the link, will try again when I get home.

Most of the prints I have sold so far have been finished prints. I do understand most of the short falls of displaying images on the internet, so I am going to do all that has been suggested plus I will be purchasing a samplings of the images I post just so I can see what the purchaser will be getting.

Thanks again

Mitch
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Mitch wrote:
    Minoltaman,

Thanks for the info

Mitch
    No problem, Mitch. Some tough issues to tackle when you get technical about things. Good luck.

-don
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Gosh, no!
    minoltaman wrote:
    That means both Baldy's fancy autofix and my quick hack job...

Interesting, Nik.

Are you on a Mac?

-don
    I'm known locally as "da wintel zealot"..
    Don't do macs, sorry..
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm known locally as "da wintel zealot"..
    Don't do macs, sorry..
    Kick me in the head then, oooops :): I still use 98se around here. :D

It sounded like a gamma setting issue to me. Those bottom two pix are light but not really, really washed out. I got mine a little lighter than I wanted to, but for the sake of quick fixes I did not redo. This also caused me to lose a bit of contrast and skintown that I could have had, but don't. I dont think many people are seeing those images as really washed out (other than the blown sky and a trace of forhead), but I could be wrong. And if they are, it would mean smugmug has a big problem with the new autocolor rig and I have a big problem here as well. The are just sorta low contrast on the 4 cheap rigs I have here. In my opinion neither correction is that good, but passable I suppose. It is strange that you are seeing them as completely blown out. Must be gamma, anyone else?? I assume you have a fairly good contrast/brightness setup?

Thanks

-don
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2005
    It might be ICC/color space...
    minoltaman wrote:
    Kick me in the head then, oooops :D I still use 98 all around. :uhoh

It sounded like a gamma setting issue to me. Those bottom two pix are light but not really washed out. I got mine a little lighter than I wanted to but for the sake of quick fixes I did not redo. This also caused me to lose a bit of contrast and skintown that I could have had but don't. I dont think many people are seeing those images as really washed out, but I could be wrong. There just sorta low contrast on the 4 cheap rigs I have here. In my opinion neither correction is that good, but passable I suppose. It is strange that you are seeing them as completely blown out. Must be gamma, anyone else?? I assume you have a fairly good contrast/brightness setup?

Thanks

-don
    It's been discussed heavily here recently.. Safari/Mac honors ICC profiles, IE/Win ignores it and assumes sRGB.
    My monitor setup is relatively fresh (bought it this January), so far I did not have any reason to think it's way off. And that print of yours that I did last nite came out pretty close to what I see on the LCD (as close as you can expect on a cheapo HP Deskjet 6800 and a plain paper:-), so I guess it's more-or-less OK..