Wednesday Night Tease: Tawny

2»

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    For all ye faithful: finals posted: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=98002 :ivar
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • JH-PhotoJH-Photo Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    great to see how you work ...
    never seen this flash "stand" before. :-))

but...phantastic to see how much work you do, to get a nice pictures.
    Climbing and running with the model :-)

I love parking next to it :-))

I hate the long way carry the lenzes and so on :-)

but good to see you again without falling down the mountain ;-))
    Hey Nik, you should consider taking some sandbags to weight down the lights.
    Or stake them down. Mostly because you don't want them to fall and injure someone or worse, start a fire (not that it would but hot enough and it might).

Anyway, I checked out the finished product and it's very nicely done.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited July 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    That's what PS is for:-)

I'm building a port, so I accept TF* offers from the girls I like. rolleyes1.gif
    And I charge the others :-) mwink.gif

I think we all do so.
    JH-Photo wrote:
    Nikolai wrote:
    That's what PS is for:-)

I'm building a port, so I accept TF* offers from the girls I like. rolleyes1.gif
    And I charge the others :-) mwink.gif

I think we all do so.

Guilty.mwink.gif Though "like" for me is a different reason.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Hey Nik, you should consider taking some sandbags to weight down the lights.
    I will, at least for this place... The only issue is: it's a VERY steep and relatively long hike :-(
    Or stake them down. Mostly because you don't want them to fall and injure someone or worse, start a fire (not that it would but hot enough and it might).
    Great idea on staking thumb.gif. I didn't think about it for some reason :bash
    It may not always work (that particular place is a solid rock with a very thing layer of a puffy dirt on top), but it may work in other places. I can also probably use a rope to tie it to the bushes mwink.gif
    Anyway, I checked out the finished product and it's very nicely done.
    Thank you, appreciate it!thumb.gif
    edited October 27, 2008
    320211799_LB3XU-XL.jpg
    hey nikolai.

can you explain that equipment to me , pleasE ?

i am the lucky which has a portable multiblitz :-)
    but to climb on a mountain with a model, i am not in the mood to carry the whole shit :-))

so....what is needed..... ? 580 ex II master and two of 430 ex slaves ?
    or is a shoe mount driver enough with two cheap sigmas ?

what kind of cable is sticked in for the cordless function ?
    and what do you stick into the camera ?
    do you have a product name therefore ?

because with my 580 EX i didn`t get anything...only the flash and some batteries :-(

best regards
    jh

p.s.: i love your making off series.....hey...can you still buy the 5d mk2 in usa ? in europe it will come in mid of november...i was in hongkong last week. also not available.... but will be expensive :-(
    some people are saying..it is better to buy a 1 ds mk2 . same price class if to buy a used one ... but better the focus is better at avialable and minimum light.
    JH-Photo wrote:
    hey nikolai.
    can you explain that equipment to me , pleasE ?

i am the lucky which has a portable multiblitz :-)
    but to climb on a mountain with a model, i am not in the mood to carry the whole shit :-))

so....what is needed..... ? 580 ex II master and two of 430 ex slaves ?
    or is a shoe mount driver enough with two cheap sigmas ?

what kind of cable is sticked in for the cordless function ?
    and what do you stick into the camera ?
    do you have a product name therefore ?

because with my 580 EX i didn`t get anything...only the flash and some batteries :-(

best regards
    jh
    I thought I already did in my reply to your other post.... But here it is once again...

No, I do not use speedlites for this. My outdoor locatiion lighting setup consists of the following:
    • 2 light stands.
      I usually use 10 footers, unless I'm really pressed for size/weight, in which case I use 8 footers. I'm still considering adding two cheap tripods with a long boom arm, and using those in a rocky places instead. At this point I have to carry a couple of sand bags sometimes (at least for this particular location)
    • 2 Sunpak Auto 555EX "potato masher" strobes, purchased in 2004 I think. I believe those are out of production these days, 622 is their next model. And of course you can use other units/brands.
      Each take a cartridge with 6 AA batteries, or an external pack. I'm using Maha PowerEx rechargeables and I never had a problem running out of juice during one shoot, even a very long one. But I always have spares with me, and I ususally try to recharge them fresh before any more or less important shoot (or at least once a month; or when in doubt;-)
    • Each unit is connected to its own PocketWizard Receiver (nowadays I would use Transceiver, but they didn't exist in 2004) via household-to-min adapter cord. So that makes two of those.
    • The lights are triggered by a PocketWizard Transmitter (or a Transceiver in a transmitting mode), which plugged into camera's hotshoe
    • Lightmeter is a must, since you really can't rely on anything automated.
    p.s.: i love your making off series.....hey...can you still buy the 5d mk2 in usa ? in europe it will come in mid of november...i was in hongkong last week. also not available.... but will be expensive :-(
    some people are saying..it is better to buy a 1 ds mk2 . same price class if to buy a used one ... but better the focus is better at avialable and minimum light.
    I'm planning to, but it may be a while before I save enough $$ ne_nau.gif

HTH