Options

Lake Superior Revisited

geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
edited July 9, 2008 in Journeys
Taken early in the spring during a fishing trip.

Alcona Cove
317817433_aDFy4-XL-1.jpg

Robertsons Cove
328490150_QVq7B-XL.jpg

Sand River
317861883_mmZ3U-XL.jpg

Agawa Beach
317840466_JSUU7-XL-1.jpg
"They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
My Photo Blog
Twitter Feed

Comments

• Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Nice stuff thumb.gif
    Love Alcona Cove and Robertsons Cove
    Question about Robertsons Cove - that patch of illuminated rocks - was that post processing or was it like that in real life?
    Regardless it's a great photo :D
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    These are lovely ! i like the effects too
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    Real life. The sun was behind me and it was filtering through the trees on the point behind me. I find some of best places to shoot during a sunrise are away from the sun. There was long exposure times in this photo (Robertson Cove) ranging from 1/2s to 1/30s. The range of light was that great, hence the HDR range would be really big then.:D

Photos 2 and 4 are an HDR blend in order to bring out the colours and to properly expose the rocks. Luminosoty was set to "High" in Photomatix (anything lower and I find it starts to look ridiculous).

Photos 1 and 3 are straight exposure blends for the foreground only. A graduated colour filter was added on Photo 1 to bring out the yellows of the morning. They tended to come out very washed out in the unfinished product. Photo 3 was an exposure blend for the layered trees only. It was the only way I knew of to do that!mwink.gif Photo 1 is a 42-inch wide panorama. I am thinking of getting it fotofloated...headscratch.gif
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    PhotobycatePhotobycate Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Great Shots. I love Agawa Beach really striking.

I have an HDR question and that is how do you like using this and is it difficult to learn? I really like what it does for the lighting in a photo as well as the almost 3D effect you can get. I am not an editiing whiz just yet, but your opinion on how and when to use this is appreciated.

Cate
    Real life. The sun was behind me and it was filtering through the trees on the point behind me. I find some of best places to shoot during a sunrise are away from the sun. There was long exposure times in this photo (Robertson Cove) ranging from 1/2s to 1/30s. The range of light was that great, hence the HDR range would be really big then.:D

Photos 2 and 4 are an HDR blend in order to bring out the colours and to properly expose the rocks. Luminosoty was set to "High" in Photomatix (anything lower and I find it starts to look ridiculous).

Photos 1 and 3 are straight exposure blends for the foreground only. A graduated colour filter was added on Photo 1 to bring out the yellows of the morning. They tended to come out very washed out in the unfinished product. Photo 3 was an exposure blend for the layered trees only. It was the only way I knew of to do that!mwink.gif Photo 1 is a 42-inch wide panorama. I am thinking of getting it fotofloated...headscratch.gif
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    fotoflot for sure! thumb.gif
    42" - man that would be AWESOME on your wall!! mwink.gif

Oh and HDR for the other person - it rocks - photmatixx makes it so easy too.

Just bracket exposure -2ev,0ev,+2ev and make sure it's on a high enough shutter speed so you don't get significant moving of the camera during the shots (or use a tripod)

and away you go - use the default settings and then tone map it - you can see the tone mapping effect it will have and then post process in Lightroom or Photoshop etc.

Give it a go with the test version of photomatix - ok you get watermarks but it's just to get a feel for the whole thing right

Cheers, Jase
    p.s. I really love this photos - keep checking back to take a look at them :)
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Very nice, I like the first two best. Wonderful colors in them.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    Photobycate,

I can definitely help you out. First thing I will tell you though is that most entry level SLR's only have compensations of 1/2 to 1/3 stops for bracketing. This creates a problem as in most cases, you cannot get the full dynamic range in the photography with this type of bracketing.

For best results, you'll need to shoot in manual mode. For example, my dynamic range of some of these shots were from 1/2s to 1/40s. This allowed me to get full tonality. Bryan Peterson talks about this in his wildlife and landscape photography books. Also I usually merge more than 3 images if possible. The results aren't much better than if I just did 3, but they are better!

Using a tripod is a must as movement can disrupt your images. Also, lots of wind, etc... will affect your shot so you ideally want still conditions (of course, this depends on how good you are a photoshop). A remote shutter release is also something that you may want to look into (or use your timer). This is just another tool that will allow you to be hands-free! By the way, one of the hints I will give you is that when you are using your camera wheel to change shutterspeeds, do it excrutiatingly slow. You would be surprised how much movement just changing the shutterspeed can impart on the camera (especially if you want super sharp photos).

HDR is very interesting to use in the morning as the light constantly changes in the sky. If you use different, long exposures like I was doing and you take your time, then you can very interesting colouring that reflects time over a minute or two.

Sorry, if i am not good at explaining this, but it really is something you'll have to practice with. I have a post in the landscape forum of some funky stuff you can do with HDR (this is in no way a realistic representation), but it is fun to see what you can do with it

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=99198

Feel free to email me or message me for more info. By the way, if you are wondering which program to use for this; both Photoshop and Photomatix are wonderful. I find Photomatix a little more vibrant with its results and the HDR file generated doesn't seem to need as much sharpening as in Photoshop.mwink.gif

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed