Options

Journey to the Red Centre

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited August 1, 2008 in Journeys
Back in 1988 a rather wacky Australian filmmaker named Yahoo Serious released a film called Young Einstein, a comedic adaptation of the life of the great scientist, only in this case he's born in Tasmania, eats apples, and travels to the "mainland" (of Australia) to pursue and share his theory of relativity as it applies to bubbles in beer. Nothing Academy Award worthy, but funny, and with some great cinematography of a truly beautiful country. One particular sequence in the movie cemented in my 10 year old brain that I must someday visit the Australian outback.

20 years later, and here I am, living in the land of Oz. It took us some time to organize, but two weeks ago, we finally found our way to the center, sorry, centre of this big, dry, sunburnt place.

We packed all our camping gear and boarded the one and only weekly direct flight from Brisbane to Alice Springs (on wednesday morning, if you're interested).

Seeya later Brisbane... and rivers... and green stuff...

330152403_PmPvg-M.jpg

You truly get a feel for what a vast and rather empty place this country is when you take this flight. After only 15 minutes or so of flying due west from the Pacific coast, the green hills and sub-tropical rainforests very quickly turn into this:

330227317_3WNFZ-M.jpg

Sand. Red sand, and lots of it. The great Simpson desert is big, really big. Most of the 3 hour flight is over terrain like the above. The sand dunes give way to some rocky canyons as you near Alice Springs, which is in fact nestled in a very mountainous region, between the one and only pass through the MacDonnell Ranges.

330218217_UQWhD-M.jpg

And finally coming in for a landing at Alice Springs airport... which by the way, has one single runway. You land, hook a U-turn and taxi back down the runway to the terminal.
:D

330208253_ZQfdk-M.jpg

For reference here's a map of our loop:

20080713-8hrucnhf42j5jwhutsg8nkx4qt.jpg
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    It was only a flyby, Erik? Or is there more?

I think I should visit that area, just to hike on the red sands!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    We grab our 4wd rental and head into town to get our supplies. The airlines don't take too kindly to cooking fuel in our luggage so the first stop is a camping supply shop to get a can of Coleman fuel for our camp stove. With our "kitchen" in order, we head to the grocery and stock up on water (20L) and food stuffs.

And then we're off! Driving west along the West MacDonnell Ranges

330221159_aqgwj-L.jpg

Desert... spinifex... mulga trees... desert scrub... what's this?!? A gorgeous swimming hole? Yup, it happens. One of many gorges where rivers do in fact run very rarely in a wet time - some of the holes are deep enough and shaded enough by the gorges to hold water almost indefinitely. Even in the desert like this, there was a family of ducks living in what is now just a small pond. Amazing.

330157071_WaxZ4-L.jpg

We arrive at Glen Helen, the lone outpost in the West MacDonnel ranges. A nice little station with a petrol pump, a diesel pump, pub, campground and even some nice hotel rooms for the weaker at heart. Our first home on the trip. Not a bad view of the Glen Helen gorge.

329932157_gLwxP-M.jpg

Let's go for a hike. Find the doc:

330157760_nhhYn-L.jpg

At the gorge we find another gorgeous water hole, again, remnants of a river. If we had come about 8 years ago, there would have been a river raging about 10 meters from where our tent was, right along the base of this gorge.

329921633_mxCJX-XL.jpg

Just in case. :D

330233581_nEbex-M.jpg

We turned in for our first night. You know those stories about how its really hot in the desert by day but really cold at night. Well they are TRUE! It was 0C this first night (32F). Being from the northeast US, MrsIt and I have camped in colder, but the shocking temp change from near 80F during the day to 32F at night was, shall we say, interesting.

I'd say it was worth it though, sunrise treated us to our first proper red centre morning. Out the door of the tent:

329896163_miBfk-L.jpg

*It's the iron in everything to accounts for the amazing red color.
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    It was only a flyby, Erik? Or is there more?

I think I should visit that area, just to hike on the red sands!
    It's sunday, I'm posting at a leisurely pace. thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    We hiked just north and slightly west of where we camped and enjoyed a beautiful view of Mt Sonder. It really is a stunningly beaituful place. I love trees and forests, but the starkness of this landscape really makes the terrain jut out and truly amaze you.

329932852_sb8oy-XL.jpg

Next stop, Kings Canyon via the unsealed Mereenie Loop Road (look hard on google maps, its there). Bit bumpy, ok, in some parts really bumpy for our little baby 4wd, but the views and connection to the landscape were well worth it.

330153656_DB8bT-S.jpg330230369_ZQ4ww-S.jpg

Are we there yet?

330155238_gRYN9-XL.jpg

Don't forget your water out here. That's a camel carcas (yes, Australia in fact has more wild camels than the middle east).

330154784_mHH7Z-M.jpg

Pavement, sweet glorious pavement!!! Er, sorry, bitumen.

330152883_ChCid-M.jpg

King's Canyon and surrounding plateau/canyon lands looms ahead.

330153332_kJF7t-M.jpg

330147138_iUrd8-XL.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 12, 2008
    I am really enjoying this report Eric, Oz has always been on my bucket list.

Very cool stuff!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am really enjoying this report Eric, Oz has always been on my bucket list.

Very cool stuff!
    Thanks mate. Luckily, I don't think you have to hurry, it won't change much in this part of the world, but definitely, go!!! I'd love to go back on a GS (with a big fuel tank) someday, ride more of the unsealed cattle station tracks.
    nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    Alright, this one is for gus...

After driving over 150km of unsealed and at times very rocky and very sandy unsealed desert track (including one short foray into the "bush" off the main road), this happened while I was turning around at the petrol station at Kings Canyon... which is paved.
    umph.gif

330153513_nVzNT-M.jpg

330231173_cWzSp-M.jpg

I thought I already paid my karma with my extravagant night time muffler explosion?!!! lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    OK, tire changed, tent pitched, it was time to lace up our boots and go for what would be the best hike of the trip. Into and around the rim of King's Canyon. Photos mostly speak for themselves at this place (although don't do it real justice, and least not through my viewfinder).

330198841_GePUe-M.jpg

330160573_o67yL-M.jpg

Look close enough, can you see the specks on the other face of the canyon? Those are people, real full-size ones.

330189432_ZqEi2-L.jpg

The "diving board" rock, as I called it (to the left).

330162715_LVKVW-L.jpg

Later on, looking back from the other side.

330161117_N4JPx-L.jpg

Hiking out at sunset.

330182787_ZwvZs-XL.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    330231173_cWzSp-M.jpg

I thought I already paid my karma with my extravagant night time muffler explosion?!!! lol3.gif
    HA !! You get it twice because you started it.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    Rocks rocks and more rocks... what about critters? Plenty of those as well.

330166130_MMYus-M.jpg

Back at the campsite, a more mischievous and furry variety... the dingo ate our salami! No kidding here. We had originally put up our tent at the outskirts of the campground, ah, privacy, but as we started setting up for dinner, I heard a rustling. I flashed up my headlamp and there he was, sizing us up from 10 meters or so. MrsIt didn't like it all so she scurried to a more populated section of the campground. As much as I tried to whistle and shoo him away, he just waltzed right over to our cooler (esky) and casually went through it until he found something he liked. Our salami! I have to say, he had good manners, unlike what you think a wild dog might do, he didn't rip through our whole stash, just sniffed until he found what he wanted, grabbed it gently and trotted off with it. I hope it gave him heartburn, thief. We've camped with bears and the like before but these doggies were fearless and very matter-of-fact. We saw them throughout the campground all night. Shame, clearly they are fed and know where to go now.

Off he goes with our dinner...

330183322_N2FDF-M.jpg

Still spying at us in the morning.

330200650_dMyFL-M.jpg

And Australia's ever persistent parrots. These gallahs are everywhere, beautiful, travel in flocks, and loud too.

330175247_mjDtp-M.jpg

You'll be wondering, where are all the kangaroos and rock wallabies? Good question, all we saw were dead ones on the side of the road (and plenty of them).
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    Onwards to Yulara and the famous monoliths...

330201014_kiywR-S.jpg
    329931121_nEHQA-M.jpg

Have I mentioned how beautiful and blue the desert sky is?

329904756_tqyod-M.jpg

After several hundred kilometers of driving, we arrive at the spot I've been wanting to see for those 20 years. Was it worth it? You bet your sweet a**! It's amazing. I'm no Ansel, but it's not hard to get a good photo here. The air is clean, the sand is red, the spinifex is alive, and the sky has the most amazing blue gradient you'll ever see.

Great Southern Land (ripping through my head at this point)

329890046_tt3Sx-XL.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    It only gets better. You only truly appreciate this giant "thing" in the middle of the desert by walking around it. All the way around. 9km, that's 5.4 miles to my fellow 'mericans. That is no small rock!

The different faces and shapes and colors you see in the rock as you go around it are truly awesome. It's like the rock is alive. It has scars from ancient battles, it bulges a bit in places, and it's outer skin is sliding off in other places from the millions of years of exposure. They say that the earth in central australia (and moreso western australia) is some of the oldest in the world. As in, because of subduction and plate tectonics, much of the exposed earth is in fact "recycled". Not so much here, these rocks have been sitting here for ages. Amazing.

Let's go around, shall we?

329917702_VKFzL-XL.jpg

Don't slip... (controversial topic btw, this is very sacred Aboriginal ground)

330191378_WrU53-L.jpg

329889318_P4aLR-M.jpg

329913554_VFJPq-M.jpg

329887849_cjFLA-M.jpg

The sun is going down, and we cross over in the "dark side", some scary stuff back here :D

329890460_wGFnx-L.jpg

And then back around to the other side, the sunset completely lights up the rock. It is practically on fire! If anything, this photo is desaturated, it truly does become that red.

329925191_SceTT-L.jpg

And just like that, the sun is gone and we have yet another dusk color.

329923592_R2Wg7-M.jpg

A repeat performance at sunrise, only in reverse...

329902038_rvx4n-M.jpg

329888426_J943L-M.jpg

Now, a strange thing happened on this day... clouds!!! (yours truly doing his best Yahoo Serious impression)

330181503_Yc9NC-M.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    Great colour mate...did you know its actually standing vertically ?
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    There are another bunch of monoliths just down the road from Uluru, slightly less famouns, but equally as stunning. Kata Tjuta, or the Olgas, have a very dramatic hiking loop that takes you into the center and back around.

There they are in the distance (that's 50km away at this point)

330205109_dK2GZ-M.jpg

There should really be dinosaurs living in here, this valley amongst these giants!

330184516_W2e5v-M.jpg

330147574_k23Kv-XL.jpg
    (see the hiker far right for scale)
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Great colour mate...did you know its actually standing vertically ?
    Ta.

yup, 5 or 6 times more of it is underground. Now I want to see the other huge monolith in western australia, Mount Augustus!
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    Back at the Ayers Rock campground, which is the only place to stay, by the way - a great part of a Central Australia vacation is you really don't have to stress too much over choices. There's just one resort per major site, so Glen Helen, Kings Canyon, then nothing till you're back at Alice Springs. Out here this means: fuel, small general store, a hotel/lodge, and campground, maybe a restaurant - Uluru is the exception, they have something like 8 restaurants and 3 hotels, an all in one miniature city right next to the National Park, but then nothing, absolutely nothing for miles.

Right, anyway, a smattering of other photos...

Getting a sunset time lapse with the G9

329925711_QKJFV-M.jpg

The sand is SO red!

329894962_HWUZH-M.jpg

330196630_SmdFh-M.jpg

We timed our trip perfectly, gray skies and rain is not something you see too often in this part of the world.

330213174_ysFEK-L.jpg

Heading back the "the Alice" on the Stuart Highway, where, consequentially an Australian-Pacific version of the Cannonball Rally was staged. They even have a monument to this illegal underground event, gotta love the Aussies.

330219449_WnGAX-M.jpg

Thanks for coming along, hope you enjoyed the trip, we definitely did. nod.gif

330217899_jtXwm-M.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    How much was petrol ?
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    gus wrote:
    How much was petrol ?
    $1.95/liter in the Alice and $2+ in the remote parts.

Good thing we like to camp, traveling there is NOT cheap. Oh, and never, ever, ever rent a vehicle from Avis = lies, highway robbery.
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Oh, and never, ever, ever rent a vehicle from Avis = lies, highway robbery.
    I still recon i can give you a worse story about Budget Rental in Australia also (hope that googles) when our VW broke down at coffs harbour.

They are all arse holes tarred with the same brush.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Thanks for coming along, hope you enjoyed the trip, we definitely did. nod.gif
    thumb.gifI definitely did. Thanks for taking us along for the ride, looks like an amazing place.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Thanks for taking us along for the ride, looks like an amazing place.
    Anytime!

It's amazing in a "what am I doing on the surface of mars" kind of way. So different from what most of us are used to.
    Erik

• Options
    hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    Fantastic photos and narrative. I wish I could go there! Thanks.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2008
    Wow, a great trip, doc! The first photo of Ayers rock is so lovely it almost hurt my eyes. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Wow, a great trip, doc! The first photo of Ayers rock is so lovely it almost hurt my eyes. thumb.gif
    Thanks Steph, I was bound to get at least one good shot. :D
    Erik

• Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    Really great shots man. Those reds are unreal.

Is it just me, or does the "blue gradient" seem way more intense than in the American Desert (I saw a similar thing in Central Asia). Is this true, (it's been a long time since I was in the desert in the US, so I could be misremembering)?

P.S: Are you ever coming back to the US? Cause if that was my backyard I would have to think real hard about leaving it.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    Doc,

When I eventually get around to Oz, you are gonna have to show me around!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    Doc,

When I eventually get around to Oz, you are gonna have to show me around!!
    You better hurry, or plan on buying me another ticket when you go. :D

(I come home before the end of 2008)
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Really great shots man. Those reds are unreal.

Is it just me, or does the "blue gradient" seem way more intense than in the American Desert (I saw a similar thing in Central Asia). Is this true, (it's been a long time since I was in the desert in the US, so I could be misremembering)?

P.S: Are you ever coming back to the US? Cause if that was my backyard I would have to think real hard about leaving it.
    Thanks J.

I wondered about the blue myself, but I've only taken one proper trip to the American west and it was cloudy the entire time. Comparison to other deserts aside, its totally striking, for the obvious reason that the horizon is so low and flat everywhere.

Yeah, its a gorgeous backyard, but its not home, see above.
    Erik

• Options
    edited July 14, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You better hurry, or plan on buying me another ticket when you go. :D

(I come home before the end of 2008)

That's like this December!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought you were a forever Ozzie!!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2008
    That is really some beutiful scenery, nice job!