Options

Journey to the Red Centre

2»

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 14, 2008
    That's like this December!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought you were a forever Ozzie!!!
    Don't get me wrong, really great place to live - Brisbane has totally changed my perception of ever living in a city - but, friends and family are a big part of our lives. Oz is just too far away.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    Central Oz is one of the places I really want to visit sometime. Images like yours only add to the longing. Beautiful scenery, well captured.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2008
    marlof wrote:
    Central Oz is one of the places I really want to visit sometime. Images like yours only add to the longing. Beautiful scenery, well captured.
    It's not close, and it's not cheap, but well worth a visit. nod.gif

thanks!
    Erik

• Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    Thanks for the trip, Erik. Looks like a grand time (and the kind of trip I'd never convince my wife to take). Absolutely lovely. The reds are just amazing.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Brisbane has totally changed my perception of ever living in a city

From a locals point of view...i have to ask ..what led you to think that ?

I could easily live in almost any city. A result from being raised on a poor dirt farm watching my life die around me.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    gus wrote:
    From a locals point of view...i have to ask ..what led you to think that?

I could easily live in almost any city. A result from being raised on a poor dirt farm watching my life die around me.
    I guess being from the New England suburbs, where you have gorgeous woods and mountains in your backyard, but you're also within a pretty easy drive of two pretty big cities (Boston, NYC), I've never appreciated being stuck in the city. I also love the outdoors, so I always enjoyed not living in a concrete jungle.

I think I like Brisbane so much because it is such an outdoor city. So many parks, so much green. And not just that, the warm climate obviously promotes outdoor lifestyles. Little stuff, like bbq grills at almost all parks - you don't get that at home. Sure we have parks, but its not common to see picnickers and such - joggers, the occasional ball game. The city cat is such a nice way to get around, in the sunshine, not in an underground tube. Size is perfect too, you can walk anywhere downtown but it doesn't feel tiny.

Hard to really put down in writing. It's a great town, I'll miss it, and southern queensland in general.
    Erik

• Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    What a fantastic trip you allowed us to see. I really enjoyed your comentary and fantastic picsclap.gifclapclap.gif

What were the temp ranges of your trip? I was just curious about the difference between the day and night. The temps in california desert are extreme, over 100F deg (38 C) during the day and in the low 30F' deg's (0 C) at night.eek7.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    dadwtwins wrote:
    What a fantastic trip you allowed us to see. I really enjoyed your comentary and fantastic picsclap.gifclapclap.gif

What were the temp ranges of your trip? I was just curious about the difference between the day and night. The temps in california desert are extreme, over 100F deg (38 C) during the day and in the low 30F' deg's (0 C) at night.eek7.gif

It's winter, so the daytime temps were not quite so high. Our warmest day was maybe 27C and lowest night was 0C. Sure, summer temps are similar to CA, well into the high 30's and up in the MacDonnell ranges it'll dip down close to 0C all year round.
    Erik

• Options
    Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    gus wrote:
    From a locals point of view...i have to ask ..what led you to think that ?

Thanks Gus for asking that question - it was my foremost immediate thought too - Brisbane drives me crazy

Doctorit - your photos are fantastic - I am glad you loved the trip - makes me want to venture outback again

Lesley
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Great images and looks like a great trip. Like many others, oz has long been on my list of top places to visit "someday".

DoctorIt wrote:
    I guess being from the New England suburbs, where you have gorgeous woods and mountains in your backyard, but you're also within a pretty easy drive of two pretty big cities (Boston, NYC), I've never appreciated being stuck in the city. I also love the outdoors, so I always enjoyed not living in a concrete jungle.

Sounds like you should check out the west coast. Places like San Diego CA, Portland OR, some places in Washington - seems like those outdoorsy cities would be right up your alley, and much much closer to friends/family than oz
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Thanks
    For the trip; organized, mapped! narrated, and explained nicely. The blue skies I saw that looked like that were in New Zealand. In any case, again thanks for sharing.thumb.gif
    Dave
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Looks like a good trip! I liked the pano with the road curve. I need to get caught up on work so my family and I can get out there!
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

330196630_SmdFh-M.jpg

Love this shot of the Rock, unusual, and it captures the feeling of great space, and the huge stillness and silence, which have a powerful effect if you stay long.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    These are fantastic ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2008
    Thanks for looking wave.gif
    Erik