BIG ANNOUNCEMENT-Shakin' Up the Challenges!!

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited July 19, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi Guys!

Did I mention we were speeding things up and spicing them up too? Oh yeah! Here's a brief synopsis of the major changes...starting now!

Challenge rounds will continue as they have been, except there will NO LONGER be a critique week. One round stops, the next one starts.

Due to the overlap, winners of each round will be judging the following round (for example, the winner of round 5 will judge round 7 - Kurt, you're still judging the current round!).

The top 5 of each round will be playing in a quarterly THEMED MEGA-CHALLENGE. Prize for the one winner of each Mega-Challenge is your choice of either a Canon 40D or a Nikon D300, AND a LIFETIME SMUGMUG PRO ACCOUNT!!! How awesome is THAT?!!:barb

The Mega-Challenge will be judged by a panel of 5 (myself and 4 other moderators, AIRs or industry professionals) who will determine the winner.

The next round of challenges will begin simultaneously with the Mega-Challenge. Those eligible for the Mega-Challenge are NOT eligible to play in this particular round. (See the Challenge Calendar below for clarity.)

No down time for anyone! Howzat???!!!

For complete rules, please check out the Rules thread here.

Please help me in thanking SmugMug for making such an awesome challenge series with fantastic prizes possible!:clap :clap :clap

Here's a list of eligible players so far for the first Mega-Challenge (see Calendar below):

Top 5 from round 2.1:
VelvtRide
eoren1
jeffreaux2
shatch
davev (tied for 5th)
NikonsandVstroms (tied for 5th)

Top 5 from round 2.2:
fashiznitsngrins
The Curious Camel
Povertybarn
pyroPrints.com
pemmett (tied for 5th)
puzzledpaul (tied for 5th)

Top 5 from round 2.3:
KurtPreston
Wacrer
The Curious Camel
photobrando
Halite (tied for 5th)
jeffmeyers (tied for 5th)

<o:p></o:p>

332999383_RWoYa-XL.jpg
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Thank you SmugMug and Emily :jawdrop
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Wow - I need to get back in these challenges!!!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    So... by upping the entries/contests I might actually win something someday! Even if it's a pat on the back.:D
  • fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    OMG - Smugmug ROCKS!!! YEA!!!!!!!!! Oh, and Emily too :D
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Sweet!
    This should really boost participation!
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Schweeeet!

thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Time for me to get in the challenge shooting mode.

Thanks Smuggy!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Time to get into action!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    :jawdrop

bowdown.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    oh SNAP!

nice
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    This is great news! I feel like the prize value level is perfect. Going to be a lot of fun, I hope I can make it to a finals some day!

... oh, i'll have to enter a challenge first. rolleyes1.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    EXCELLENT!! clap.gif

You all rock!! bowdown.gif

By chance can you put a feeler out to Olympus and see if they will Pony up an E-3 as a possible prize (same price range)??

There are a growing number of Oly users on here.

Time to bust out some filters. :D
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    clap.gifthumb.gifwings.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • photobrandophotobrando Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Cool beans!wings.gif

On a slightly different note, I like the fact that the critique stuff has been eliminated. I didn't think that was very fair that people are basically getting their photos 'pre-judged' and selected for a contest that is going to be voted on by the very same people. I feel this should also be applied to those who are making threads on what picture is better. As a photographer one should use his/her best judgment on what they feel is best, and submit the photo rather than get a ton of opinions on what photo should be submitted by the very people who will probably be voting. Seems pretty biased right out of the gate. ne_nau.gif

Switching gears again, thanks for the cool challenges, prizes and the opportunites to do so.

Aloha Nui Loa!
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Oh yeah. Too cool.

beer.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Yowza!!! :jawdrop Rock on! bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Thank you so much SM! And Emily, for kickin' things up a notch. thumb.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 16, 2008
    On a slightly different note, I like the fact that the critique stuff has been eliminated. I didn't think that was very fair that people are basically getting their photos 'pre-judged' and selected for a contest that is going to be voted on by the very same people. I feel this should also be applied to those who are making threads on what picture is better. As a photographer one should use his/her best judgment on what they feel is best, and submit the photo rather than get a ton of opinions on what photo should be submitted by the very people who will probably be voting. Seems pretty biased right out of the gate. ne_nau.gif
    We are by no means eliminating discussion. All we have dropped is the week in between challenges.

These challenges, and LPS before them, and the original challenges years ago have always been first and foremost about growing as a photographer, not about the most fair way to win a prize. Presenting and discussing your work with your peers is a critical component of this. I really don't understand your point of view. Honestly, i don't really like any photo contests, they're all a bit biased, if you will. Let's put all that away and focus on the positive, eh?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited July 16, 2008
    one other thing to keep in mind;.. i understand atleast Emily avoids user names associated with the entry so she is seeing the photo not who the photo comes from....and when your over opinionated like some (me) this is a good thingrolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 16, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:

Time to bust out some filters. :D

thats right, you need all the help you can get:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Wow! These are some great prizes for these challenges.

I've never entered these challenges before and probably still won't even though the prizes are a nice carrot to be dangling. My amateur skill level just can't compete with all of you awesome pros. I'd have to get a seriously lucky shot in. rolleyes1.gif

I do love looking at the photos everyone submits though. They are always awesome! Keep 'em coming.

Sherry
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Thanks for listening!
    Though I never actually, verbally expressed my desire for this exact change, it seems Emily, DoctorIT and the rest of the group were listening nonetheless. That week of downtime felt like a buzz kill and I'm glad that things are back to the original LPS breakneck pace. Bringing back the semifinals is also greatly appreciated. And the prizes....I don't know where you guys find such wonderful toys to give away!!!
    Thanks again for listening to my silent call for change!
    E
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Cool beans!wings.gif

Switching gears again, thanks for the cool challenges, prizes and the opportunites to do so.

Aloha Nui Loa!

The problem with a photographer picking their best shot is that there is emotion tied to every shot.
    I know that I have entered less than the best photo because of what I had to do to get a photo, or what
    a photo reminds me of.

It's always good to get another opinion of a shot.

I'm glad that the week with no challenge is gone. (although the mini challenges are always running) (shameless plug)
    I though that is was bogging down the forum.

The prizes, I had lots of fun and learned quite a bit when there were no prizes.
    I hope things stay civil, but I can't help think that there will be a thread complaining
    about one shot over another within an hour after the challenge ends.:cry

One last thought, (well hopefully not my last thought) What will be done when there are multiple ties at the 5th spot?
    Just have 6,7,8,9 shots go into the semis?

Final thing, Thanks Smugmug, Dgrin, and all the Mods that make this thing work.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • KurtPrestonKurtPreston Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Shakin' things up ... 'tis a mere tremblor .. only about 8.5 -9.0 on the Ricter scale! Love the format, thank you SmugMug and Emily for an awesome job!

yes Ma'am! Stilll on duty for judging this round thumb.gif
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    This is fantastic, Thanks SmugMug and Emily! Im thrilled to see the boost in prizes and quarter finals are back. Its also great to see the week of "downtime" gone. Great format, time to try and get a lil more serious......
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    davev wrote:
    One last thought, (well hopefully not my last thought) What will be done when there are multiple ties at the 5th spot?
    Just have 6,7,8,9 shots go into the semis?

Yep. See the list of current qualifiers. How is it fair to only pick one out of several that scored equally? Nope, all ties for 5th go through. thumb.gif
    Emily

• GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    one other thing to keep in mind;.. i understand atleast Emily avoids user names associated with the entry so she is seeing the photo not who the photo comes from....and when your over opinionated like some (me) this is a good thingrolleyes1.gif

Actually, with the new format and my new role, this won't be possible. You guys are just going to have to trust me to be fair, unbiased and honest, yeah?
    Emily

• fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Actually, with the new format and my new role, this won't be possible. You guys are just going to have to trust me to be fair, unbiased and honest, yeah?

Er.. okay. Just kidding. I think that the rules have been set, we know what they are - now let's get on with it. I'm very grateful that we not only have the challenges back, but also someone to run them and the prizes... well they don't get any better than that now, do they? Let's get as many others to join in on the fun as possible to keep the competition up and us on our toes!!!
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    WOW!!!! wings.gif

This is exciting!! It just always seems to be more fun when the stakes demand a little more attention to the product. Cool!

As for those who are intimidated to enter...most of us are hobbist and don't make a living doing this, but our participation over time has helped each of us grow and get better. If you want to grow, there are few places better than here. Post your shot; get feedback, try something you wouldn't have tried before, shoot again, hey! I like it!! Take the bold step and jump in! We are all learning here, let's learn together. Welcome aboard!!!

Thanks to DGRIN, SMUGMUG, the MODS, and Emily! It feels good to be back.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 17, 2008
    Just to clarify here: we will honor ties but not necessarily down to "fifth". In other words, if there is a distinct first and second, then a three way tie for third, then a tie for fourth, and another tie for fifth (giving a total of 9 people), we won't take everyone. We'll take as close to 5 people as we can. Make sense?
    :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Wow... This is very generous! :D

Thanks to Dgrin, Smugmug, their staff and especially the MOD's for making this happen. wings.gif

Sincerely,

Lee
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Hi Guys!

Did I mention we were speeding things up and spicing them up too? Oh yeah! Here's a brief synopsis of the major changes...starting now!

AAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEsssssssssssoooooooooooooMMMMMMEwings.gifbarb:ivar:ivarthumb.gifthumbclap.gifclapbowdown.gifbow
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website