So Much Potential... Ruined Shot

geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
edited July 19, 2008 in Landscapes
333359477_HYYML-X3.jpg

I thought I'd post this as a what could have been. My other set didn't turn out as well as I'd like, this is a much smaller and thinner version. Love the mist coming over the hills. Unfortunately, due to the size... I cannot use it unless it is printed off at 50" wide... :cry
"They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
My Photo Blog
Twitter Feed

Comments

• cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    *SMACKS* HOW COULD YOU LET SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPEN.

I'm sorry about that. I just saw a V8 commercial.

I don't speak pano, why is this ruined due to "size?" I rather think it's pretty and all the panos on your site are selling, why wouldn't anyone want a print taller than themselves? rolleyes1.gif
  • geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    I don't like my choice of shutter speed here as well as my vantage point. There were large hills behind me and that would have been a better view. Also, I don't like that white space at the top (I don't think it works here) That is just the beginning...

This was a photo I was playing with for the first time last night, so maybe I'll revisited it via PS with some blending and masking.ne_nau.gif .
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited July 17, 2008
    If anyone has any suggestions on how to spruce this up, by all means. I'm all ears ear.gif. I'll make this an "experiment"!

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited July 17, 2008
    Quit being a ninny pinny. I really like it.
    I'm sure you could give it some pinches like you did with the farmland pic. I think the beach could have more imapct and honestly it is too long out the right but I really like looking at it. I like the mist coming down on top. I like the water splashing! I love the colour! It's a nice creamy, soft blue.
    I think the fog could use some more unnatural emphasis and a little more Sleepy Hallow... but that's me and my love of horror movies.:D
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Could you blend in a photo of Buffett playing guitar on the beach? Oh, wait, let me go put on my Fruitcakes t-shirt! rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, I love the shot for the most part, but the water is just a bit too blurry for me, especially on the right side. IMO, it suggests some brushing instead of moving water. I'll be interested to see what you do with it. As is, it would make a great mural in an office someplace!

Thanks for sharing.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    If anyone has any suggestions on how to spruce this up, by all means. I'm all ears ear.gif. I'll make this an "experiment"!
    A bit of layering and blending to boost the contrast.
    333638417_Q9fSL-3X.jpg
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    This is a hack job, but why not just shorten it east/west?

20080717-p4qrnantat6ngjkuccrbsgq9fn.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited July 17, 2008
    Thanks Rogers,

I like the idea of the contrast you used, however, that darkens the row of poplars and hardwoods along the far shore.ne_nau.gif I've struggled with this as well.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited July 17, 2008
    David,

Thanks for the suggestion! I've thought about that and I think that if I can salvage something I like, I may keep the 50" pano and try stitching two fotoflots together for the basement after cleaning it up. I'll be posting a couple of different version here shortly of what I came up with along with how I came up with them :D. If worst comes to worst, I'm taking a photo trip again this fall for a week.

Incidently, this is what happens when you are more concerned about fishing, than you are shooting. What you don't see is my fishing rods and reels laying in the sand next to my tripod... (if anyone fishes you know how bad that is for your reels).

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008

Incidently, this is what happens when you are more concerned about fishing, than you are shooting.

Sometimes the fishing is more important.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited July 17, 2008
    I've tried my best to be subtle here...

Original:
    333359477_HYYML-X2.jpg

New Version:
    333654520_ireYT-X2.jpg

A little Jimmy Buffet for Redleash:
    333654494_9rZBH-X2.jpg

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited July 17, 2008
    I like the new version. There seems to be a ghost man happily play a guitar as his foot disappears in the last... smooooooky!! :D
    edited July 17, 2008
    My method was to isolate the far shore and use a bit of gold light to bring out the reds in the trees a little more. I also isolated the lake and brought out the green in the water (from the spring melt) and added some sharpening in LAB mode for some subtle texture. Also performed some dodging on the fog to slightly bring it out a bit more.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    AWESOME!! Now, just add a few fins to the left and some fins to the right....

So, how was the fishin'? Any pics?

I like your new version--just a bit more color for some "oomph."
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    I've tried my best to be subtle here...

A little Jimmy Buffet for Redleash:
    333654494_9rZBH-L.jpg

Omg.

Win. lol3.gif

(No, I don't have anything useful to add here)
    edited July 17, 2008
    No... I didn't get a model release from Jimmy Buffet and his people for this shot. I've already notified my lawyer that we will potentially be getting a call regarding this shot. I've advised to let Mr. Buffet know that he was not the focal point of the shot as I have 47 other inches I was focusing on.:D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited July 17, 2008
    David...

The fishing was much more important... fresh-run steelhead!!!!

Redleash...

The fishing was spectacular. Cooking and eating them was pretty good too!

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    No... I didn't get a model release from Jimmy Buffet and his people for this shot. I've already notified my lawyer that we will potentially be getting a call regarding this shot. I've advised to let Mr. Buffet know that he was not the focal point of the shot as I have 47 other inches I was focusing on.:D

rolleyes1.gif

I really like your pano....How many shots did you put together? I'd work on it some if you think you need to and get it printed.

Sometimes we get stuck on a part of a photo and don't look at it as a whole. This is a photo that is taken in as a whole...IMO.

I say it's a thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008

I thought I'd post this as a what could have been. My other set didn't turn out as well as I'd like, this is a much smaller and thinner version. Love the mist coming over the hills. Unfortunately, due to the size... I cannot use it unless it is printed off at 50" wide... :cry

have you thought of a B+W version?

Hope you don't mind this attempt - Ill delete if you say somwink.gif
    333976932_TRrtS-O.jpg

Here's the color version:
    333980908_VdHJk-X2.jpg
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Here is one I got of Jimmy Surfing a few weeks ago for you.

333995502_fCqiX-M.jpg
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
    edited July 18, 2008
    Where you finding in the bushes with a 500mm?:D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited July 18, 2008
    Simon,

Thanks for your input. I tried b&w, but in my opinion, there just isn't enough leading lines in the shot or interesting cloud cover to merit it. Also, I would lose any of the detail I got the trees on the far shore.

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Where you finding in the bushes with a 500mm?:D
    No. I was actually shooting for him. :ivar
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
    edited July 18, 2008
    Wow... very cool. How did it go?

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Simon,

Thanks for your input. I tried b&w, but in my opinion, there just isn't enough leading lines in the shot or interesting cloud cover to merit it. Also, I would lose any of the detail I got the trees on the far shore.

OK - glad you didnt mind me trying it:D
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
    edited July 18, 2008
    Please don't stop!

I'll be posting another version up here soon to compare with the original. I appreciate everyone taking the time to help.:D

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited July 18, 2008
    O.K... round 2... I am posting them in X3-Large because there is not other way to really see what is going on when it is smaller:

Original:
    333359477_HYYML-X3.jpg

Version 1:
    333654520_ireYT-X3.jpg

Version 2:
    334038298_Pg4EX-X3.jpg

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited July 18, 2008
    :whipWork, mokey! Work!! Back in the LAB with you!!!
    Please don't stop!
    I'll be posting another version up here soon to compare with the original. I appreciate everyone taking the time to help.:D

It's funny how well those go together. :D
    edited July 18, 2008
    I see I'm going to have to correct the gamma, etc... on the fog coming over the trees in the third one. That isn't a big deal though. Also, I've given it a colder tone (it was 4 degrees that morning).

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
    edited July 18, 2008
    I'm digging revision 1. #2 does look colder and has a lot more pop! but I like number 1 because it's realxing to look at and I still get the cold feel, I just like it better. I'm usually wrong, though.rolleyes1.gif