Options

One Soon

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited January 13, 2009 in Weddings
Well I have finally found the time to get my edits done from Tuesday's e-session. Their wedding will take place in April, and we plan to do some formal bridals prior to that. Many of you will recognize these locations from my senior photoshoots. I wondered myself why they chose to do e-pics here rather than a more rustic, naturalistic setting...since they will be wed outdoors aside a lake. As it turns out, the groom-to-be is a law enforcement agent on these grounds. In fact, he helped us get some prime parking!

It was a challenging shoot for me as he is a bit taller than me and quite taller than her. Shyness...in front of the camera also came into play.

1-
448108142_LTXw6-M.jpg

2-
448105246_woh8v-M.jpg

3-
448105900_JkvW5-L-1.jpg

4-
448106366_bBdXi-L-1.jpg

5-
448091008_vwGp9-L-2.jpg

6-
448095669_sapcY-L-2.jpg

7-
448094830_pw537-L-2.jpg

8-I reworked this several times trying to eliminate some banding in the sky...and give it a film era look.
448109658_JSFKP-M.jpg

9-
448110883_GbMVB-M.jpg

10-
448099801_KHQD9-L-2.jpg

11-
448096700_qHgDH-M-1.jpg

12-
448093992_suJxn-M-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Very nice photo seriesclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Nice shots. I once had a couple where the groom to be was very shy/uncomfortable in front of the camera. He was so happy on the actual wedding day that he seemed to lose his inhibitions.

Anyway, 8 and 10 are my favorites. The couple looks very natural in these and they look very artistic.

Caroline
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Those are all keepers!!! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Just beautiful, as usual! If I had to choose, I particularly like 4, 8, and 11 but they're all great. And the new watermark looks great (the transparent "block" is nice - I like it a lot!)
  • Options
    dreamcometruedreamcometrue Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Lovely shoot. Youd did a great job. I really love #8, #10 and #11. clap.gif
    Artistic Design Photography LLC
    http://www.adesignphotography.com
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    I really like the processing on these, you can definitely see those flash filters at work, skin tones are very warm, very flattering for both who look fairly pale. Expression wise you did a great job of getting them to open up. I never look forward to shooting a couple with a big height difference my only advice is what I learned as an assistant. If you are shooting 3/4 or 1/2 body portraits don't be afraid to have him put a foot up on something (chair, step) and make him really lean in. The key is to shorten the legs so he doesn't look leaned over. I even have tall grooms sit or lean on things (fences, columns, retaining walls, railings) for full body shots to minimize the difference. When it gets right down to it though, they are what they are and all you can do is make them comfortable. I rarely shoot a groom taller than me but I would also suggest shooting from taller rather than lower vantage point to de-emphasize the difference. On another note, am I just getting old or do these 2 look REALLY young?? wow...
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Nice shots. I once had a couple where the groom to be was very shy/uncomfortable in front of the camera. He was so happy on the actual wedding day that he seemed to lose his inhibitions.

Anyway, 8 and 10 are my favorites. The couple looks very natural in these and they look very artistic.

Caroline

I have had that same experience before as well. It fortified my desire to...well....nearly insist on meeting the couple beforehand for engagement photos. It can really help to get them to relax some for the camera come the wedding day. A chance to get to know one another right?

I have grown pretty fond of #8 myself...I thought it just had that timeless quality I like to see in photographs.

Thanks for commenting!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Those are all keepers!!! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Thanks Scott.

I felt so rushed. We kept checking the time so we could get done and get her to work on time. We were nearly out of sunlight by the time we finished anyway, but....it did add some un warranted pressure.

I am pleased with the results. Being only my second ever engagement shoot I have made note of several things to improve on the next chance I get.

Always room for that, eh?:D
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Just beautiful, as usual! If I had to choose, I particularly like 4, 8, and 11 but they're all great. And the new watermark looks great (the transparent "block" is nice - I like it a lot!)

Thank you,

I spent WAY too much time on 8.....in processing that is.

I think I redid it 4 different times....trying to get it just ...so.

I know to you all it is just a simple BW photo, but it has a LOT of time in it. I finally wound up combining two different conversion methods to try and hold onto the sky. Being so light and featurless, I had some banding issues that were related to the vignette I was attempting. I also did several adjustment layers for local contrast adjustments. I am pleased with the results, and I think the slight banding that is still there will be a non-issue when/if printed.

The watermark is not quite there yet...but I think I am getting close.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Lovely shoot. Youd did a great job. I really love #8, #10 and #11. clap.gif

Hey thanks!!!

...and welcome to Dgrin!!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Blurmore wrote:
    I really like the processing on these, you can definitely see those flash filters at work, skin tones are very warm, very flattering for both who look fairly pale. Expression wise you did a great job of getting them to open up. I never look forward to shooting a couple with a big height difference my only advice is what I learned as an assistant. If you are shooting 3/4 or 1/2 body portraits don't be afraid to have him put a foot up on something (chair, step) and make him really lean in. The key is to shorten the legs so he doesn't look leaned over. I even have tall grooms sit or lean on things (fences, columns, retaining walls, railings) for full body shots to minimize the difference. When it gets right down to it though, they are what they are and all you can do is make them comfortable. I rarely shoot a groom taller than me but I would also suggest shooting from taller rather than lower vantage point to de-emphasize the difference. On another note, am I just getting old or do these 2 look REALLY young?? wow...

I take a 3 step ladder on most every shoot, and several of these used that piece of gear. It's a must have tool for location stuff as even for those of average height, I use it for more dynamic looking angles.

They are pretty doggone young....I guess....rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for The comments and good tips!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Very nice photo seriesclap.gifclap.gif

I appreciate that!

Thanks.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Hmm..let's see....1,2, 8,9,10,11,12.....jack my slacks....Laughing.gif. Those are very nice Jeff. Man, I do dig your processing on these....BTW.....they aren't as conservative as you may think....they are in fact very "current, stylish, and wonderful". Shoes in the puddles....gonna have to start seeing this kind of stuff...who'd a thunk it? Nice job!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Great job!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see the wedding pictures. I know you will do a great job.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Shoes in the puddles....gonna have to start seeing this kind of stuff...who'd a thunk it? Nice job!

389533014_j4kRM-M.jpg

mine isn't as good....damn dirty puddle.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    These are just phenomenal. The lighting is soft and warm as always, with plenty of lovely detail and context. Also, I think they get the "Best dressed couple" award....they did a fantastic job of complementing each other without matching. Although, she did wear short sleeves...is it really that warm down there?? Didn't you guys just have snow? headscratch.gif

As far as couples wanting to "match" their wedding day....I encourage clients to go for variety. It's going to be a totally different feel anyway because of the white dress and tux...why have two sets of photos that look pretty much the same except for the attire. And in my experience....as much as I love my engagement shoot photos (even more than wedding day shots) no one really orders them because they want to wait for the wedding pics. Just my $0.02.

1 is very flattering of him but wish she was more cheery. Getting those exuberant expressions while they're walking is much harder than it looks!!! Lovely DOF in this one though, it's very nicely composed.

2- Very nicely composed but they seem a bit more relaxed in other shots.

3-One of my faves....lovely emotion, nicely composed to minimize the height difference and ears.

4- Lovely skin tones and DOF, just wish there was a bit more space on the left vs. the right.

5- Another fave....just gorgeous! Although in my exp. women don't like this view of their neck. I wonder if a teeny bit of liquify in PS would make that curve more feminine.

6- Just gorgeous!!!! You are so great at this composition.

7-Not a big fan, nothing wrong per se just the column brings attention to his ear, and the others are so much prettier! But another great pose to remember....thumb.gif

8-Absolutely phenomenal. BW is exactly what this photo needs, and I can appreciate the work needed to preserve that sky. I think you did a great job! It's really beautiful. And, the height difference actually requires her to have some lovely tension in her body...this shot would be less appealing if they were the same height.

9-Beautifullllll........wonder what the shot would look like minus the trash can and cropped on the right some? AT least it's a pretty trash can though!

10-Killing me with the creative shots here! This is amazingly executed. Can you talk about the exposure and lighting for this shot? Her blue shoes are just perfect here.

11-Another VERY creative use of silhouette....WOW. The processing works here, reminds me of Havana or something! Unbelieveable vision here. This should be a 30x40 on their wall....

12-Another very nice shot! I like the energy here, and lovely context and lighting, as always. Geez. The "bottom of the barrel" shots in this shoot are still really, really good!

Very inspiring series. Way to go!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    For only your second engagement shoot ever I gotta say that these are pretty darn awesome :) 8, 9 and 12 are probably my favorites. As always, I love your processing and even lighting (things I've come to expect from your photos). Great job! I look forward to seeing photographs from the wedding in April!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Hmm..let's see....1,2, 8,9,10,11,12.....jack my slacks....Laughing.gif. Those are very nice Jeff. Man, I do dig your processing on these....BTW.....they aren't as conservative as you may think....they are in fact very "current, stylish, and wonderful". Shoes in the puddles....gonna have to start seeing this kind of stuff...who'd a thunk it? Nice job!

Thanks Swartzy...

Thanks for the comments...especially on the processing. Ive seen some shots before that featured reflections in puddles. This was my first attempt. One thing I still haven't done, but would like to...is to do a shoot...of any type really.....minutes after one of our steamy summer afternoon rain showers.

Stay tuned!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Great job!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see the wedding pictures. I know you will do a great job.

Thanks Sheri...

I have much more wedding experience than I do with engagement shoots...and will surely feel more comfortable in that situation. For me...photographing a single subject is simple enough....a couple....well that is at least twice as tough. It gets exponentially harder after that. A wedding....however....is much less contrrived, as all there really is to do is document the activities of the day as stylishly as you are capable of doing that. A fly on the wall....capturing all the goings on!

Hmmm, there will be one difference with their wedding other than what I am used to....it will be outdoors at 2:30PM. That isn't the time of day I would have chosen for them, but it is what it is, and I am not going to sweat it. Indoors usually presents its own set of challenges with regard to light.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Blurmore wrote:

mine isn't as good....damn dirty puddle.

The light is just out of balance. The real couple is over exposed (see her dress?) and the reflection is under exposed(no details). Cut the overall exposure, and then point a flash at their upper bodies to bring out the detail. Just remember, the reflection is just like a backlit composition. You will need flash to keep it from being a sillouette.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    These are just phenomenal. The lighting is soft and warm as always, with plenty of lovely detail and context. Also, I think they get the "Best dressed couple" award....they did a fantastic job of complementing each other without matching. Although, she did wear short sleeves...is it really that warm down there?? Didn't you guys just have snow? headscratch.gif

Phenomenal? rolleyes1.gif ....maybe not THAT good, but thanks for the compliment. Yes it snowed here a couple weeks ago, but it has been pretty warm since. I was frustrated with the choice in clothing. It wasn't what we had talked about in color or style. The cap sleeves were challenging also...as can be expected.
    As far as couples wanting to "match" their wedding day....I encourage clients to go for variety. It's going to be a totally different feel anyway because of the white dress and tux...why have two sets of photos that look pretty much the same except for the attire. And in my experience....as much as I love my engagement shoot photos (even more than wedding day shots) no one really orders them because they want to wait for the wedding pics. Just my $0.02.

That is good advice. I had actually thought about that, but was on the fence about what I would prefer. As a photographer, the variety works great, but I wasn't sure about what they would want.

1 is very flattering of him but wish she was more cheery. Getting those exuberant expressions while they're walking is much harder than it looks!!! Lovely DOF in this one though, it's very nicely composed.

Thanks. I took a string of these, but one or the other missed on expression in most all of them. Then, there was also an audience of several onlookers at the right of the frame where the railing ends and the bushes are....peeking their heads around and watching. So.....

2- Very nicely composed but they seem a bit more relaxed in other shots.

I agree. As many times as I have photographed against that iron, I wasn't going to walk past it without at least giving it a shot.
    3-One of my faves....lovely emotion, nicely composed to minimize the height difference and ears.

I had her standing on the part of the fence they sat on in the previous shot. I like her expression.
    4- Lovely skin tones and DOF, just wish there was a bit more space on the left vs. the right.

I wish it had more room as well, but the genuine grins made me keep it. The 70-200 was used in many of these....and can be credited with that bokeh. I never woulda guessed I would go to it as much as I did with a couple.
    5- Another fave....just gorgeous! Although in my exp. women don't like this view of their neck. I wonder if a teeny bit of liquify in PS would make that curve more feminine.

I thought about liquify...but was interested in hearing from her first. He is really that much taller than her. Quite a stretch!
    6- Just gorgeous!!!! You are so great at this composition.

Oh sheesh......:uhoh
    7-Not a big fan, nothing wrong per se just the column brings attention to his ear, and the others are so much prettier! But another great pose to remember....thumb.gif

I see what you mean. I wonder if I have another frame with a better angle. I bet I do. Good catch!thumb.gif
    8-Absolutely phenomenal. BW is exactly what this photo needs, and I can appreciate the work needed to preserve that sky. I think you did a great job! It's really beautiful. And, the height difference actually requires her to have some lovely tension in her body...this shot would be less appealing if they were the same height

I, of course agree will all of that. It wasn't that it didn't look fine in color, but it just dripped of that classic "something" that begged for BW. Its always a wonder why clients like what they like...vs what we like. However, I just got off the phone with the MOB and she says they absolutely adore that shot. THAT was good to hear!
    9-Beautifullllll........wonder what the shot would look like minus the trash can and cropped on the right some? AT least it's a pretty trash can though!

Laughing.gif....how bout I give you a link to the original file and YOU can take out the trash!!!rolleyes1.gif ...at least you didn't mention taking them out in the previous shot......whew!eek7.gif ...Seriously, you can have at it if you want.

10-Killing me with the creative shots here! This is amazingly executed. Can you talk about the exposure and lighting for this shot? Her blue shoes are just perfect here.

Sure...
    I spotted the puddle as we were making blocks to find an empty parking spot. Ive seen similar shots and wanted to give it a try. I kneeled and framed up the puddle....exposing to the right....no flash. Then I stood them in it and fired a shot off, but it was a totally sillouted "them" in the reflection. So, I got my assistant/daughter(at her $50/hr rate!) to bring out the flash. She aimed for their upper body, and I used the STE2 to fire it. Simple. I dont remember what FEC I used, but I was in ETTL and high speed synch. My mistake was that it still had a blue gel on it for some shady shots, and the color woulda been better if it had been bare. I think.

11-Another VERY creative use of silhouette....WOW. The processing works here, reminds me of Havana or something! Unbelieveable vision here. This should be a 30x40 on their wall....

I am so proud of myself for "seeing" that shot. I had seen that awesome wrought iron in the window and stopped for a shot of the two of them against it. But the sun was too direct, and I decided to move on. As I was grabbing up my gear I saw their shadows and...well...ran across the street and set it up. It was an easy enough shot, but I am really thankful I am beginning to visualize things like that. It was fun....and they liked it as well. I was able to use the low, harsh sun to an advantage rather than walking away empty handed. And wouldnt you know the sun slid behind ssome partial cloudy sky as I finished with this and I was able to get a shot of them against it anyway. Lemonade....from lemons...as they say.

12-Another very nice shot! I like the energy here, and lovely context and lighting, as always. Geez. The "bottom of the barrel" shots in this shoot are still really, really good!

Oh I dunno about that. I culled plenty!!!:D

You know that!rolleyes1.gif

Very inspiring series. Way to go!clap.gifclapclap.gif

Thanks Lynne. You...and others here are certainly partly responsible. Its good critique like this...and the included suggestions that make me think outside of the box atop my own shoulders. I REALLY appreciate it.

I was beginning to worry about you. I hope you felt well enough to have an enjoyable Christmas....and happy new year as well.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    For only your second engagement shoot ever I gotta say that these are pretty darn awesome :) 8, 9 and 12 are probably my favorites. As always, I love your processing and even lighting (things I've come to expect from your photos). Great job! I look forward to seeing photographs from the wedding in April!

Thanks Cat.

The wedding should be interesting. When we did our consult meeting...prior to any agreement...she had said she really liked some of the more creative types of shots that I have taken. We have agreed to keep formally posed shots to a minimum.....freeing me up to concentrate more on those types of shots that she likes. I told her its tough find those creative compositions when you have a list of "must haves" in your pocket that you are checking off. We will meet again to discuss this more, but I am hoping our original understanding will be the route we take.

The light will be an issue as well. I know better than to make the assumption that it will be as easy as the beach wedding I did last August. The beach is one huge reflector....and this one will be nearly at mid-day. I am hoping that all the green light bouncing off the grass will be manageable...and that their faces expose well. I am going to visit the site with them a few weeks prior to the wedding to help them decide on the best choice of spots to set things up with regard to light direction and intensity. My preference for now is to do it in full sun, since expecting to find enough full shade for the entire wedding would be wishful thinking. I will also pray for overcast skies!!!

Should be fun!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Ah, I know you already know how I feel about this set, but let me just say it again! Awesomeness!
    I am in love with #9. Beautiful Beautiful.

And wonderful explanation on how to get the reflection photo. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    Ah, I know you already know how I feel about this set, but let me just say it again! Awesomeness!
    I am in love with #9. Beautiful Beautiful.

And wonderful explanation on how to get the reflection photo. thumb.gif

Thanks Heather. I am told that they are really excited about the images as well....the couple that is.

The reflection shot was simple stuff. I wondered if I skipped any details in the reflection explanation....but really....the flash was the key.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    I see you posted the final of "Head over Heels" in the #16 gallery Jeff - it looks great!! (and the title really IS perfect)
  • Options
    QuitaritaQuitarita Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    quesiton about flash filter
    Blurmore wrote:
    I really like the processing on these, you can definitely see those flash filters at work, skin tones are very warm, very flattering for both who look fairly pale. ...wow...

Hola!

Great shots! :) I love the reflection shot and #8 for sure!

I've just read the 'light on a stick' post and am going to try it. Potentially silly question, sorry am a newbie... on your cloud diffuser - where do you put the filter, on the cloud itself or inbetween the flash and cloud?

What do you think about Pocket Wizards vs the STE-2?

Any help will be greatly apprecited.

Gracias
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I see you posted the final of "Head over Heels" in the #16 gallery Jeff - it looks great!! (and the title really IS perfect)

Thanks, I appreciate that. Of course Swartzy gave it the best of titles!thumb.gif

Here is the final iteration of that photograph for the folks who do not frequent the DSS Challenge contest threads.

"Head Over Heels"

449820956_LQPXP-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    Quitarita wrote:
    Hola!

I've just read the 'light on a stick' post and am going to try it. Potentially silly question, sorry am a newbie... on your cloud diffuser - where do you put the filter, on the cloud itself or inbetween the flash and cloud?

Gracias

Hola!

Thank you for the kind remarks on the photographs...very much.

No questions are dumb....right?

- I am posting a shot of how the filter gel looks inside the lightsphere. In the photo, I used a Lee filter gel that was cut to fit exactly(more or less) over the flash lens. These had to be taped on or else risk the possibillity of it becoming loose and not doing it's job. It has to cover the flash lens. I am currently using Phoxle Flashmatch Gels. These are tacky on one side, reuseable, and come in a kit with several CTO and CTB variants....all in a neat little case with a lanyard to wear around the neck for quick access. These have proven themselves a great product and have served my needs quite well. With the phoxles, I first attatch the lightsphere, and then reach inside it to apply the tacky side of the filter over the flash lens.

-The STE2 and Pocket Wizard are two entirely different animals.

- I have been satisfied with the simplicity of ETTL automatic flash control. I keep the camera in manual, but the flash is fully automatic. The STE2 is capable of firing the off camera flash in fully automatic/ETTL flash control.

The STE2 cannot be used at distances greater than 30 feet or around corners. It requires a line of sight location between it and the flash unit. In small spaces.....like a home....it generally will fire around corners. It operates off an infra red signal.....this is the reason for the line of sight requirement.

Pocket Wizards operate on a radio frequency and therefore do not require line of sight. They can be used to fire a flash unit at great distances from the camera. They will not operate a flash in ETTL control, and the flash will have to be used in manual control.

There is another product. Radio Poppers can be used with an STE2 and Canon ETTL compatable flash unit to add all of the benifits of a radio signal system while keeping ETTL funtionality. I have no experience with them, but they are surely on the wish list. http://www.radiopopper.com/

I hope I have answered your questions....if not please feel free to ask more! ...and please....lets share the results you get with this technique...Id love to see them!thumb.gif

255568681_aGw9V-S-3.jpg
    255568950_qgsWi-S-3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    Quitarita wrote:
    Hola!

Gracias

I may have missed a point....and that maybe you thought I used a light on a stick for these shots....but I did not.

I use the light on a stick for dimly lit events....such as receptions and parties. For outdoor work, I will either have the flash in the shoe, or on a light stand. I don't use the lightsphere for outdoor work in daylight. The flash itself is daylight balanced for color temperature, so no flash gel is needed in sunlight. In shade, I use CTB (blue) gels to match the blueish hued ambient light.....and shoot in "cloudy" white balance. Its an easy enough method that seems to work for me.
  • Options
    QuitaritaQuitarita Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I may have missed a point....and that maybe you thought I used a light on a stick for these shots....but I did not.

I use the light on a stick for dimly lit events....such as receptions and parties. For outdoor work, I will either have the flash in the shoe, or on a light stand. I don't use the lightsphere for outdoor work in daylight. The flash itself is daylight balanced for color temperature, so no flash gel is needed in sunlight. In shade, I use CTB (blue) gels to match the blueish hued ambient light.....and shoot in "cloudy" white balance. Its an easy enough method that seems to work for me.

Thank you sooooo much for this and the filter information! :) This all really helps.

So far I've had one experience with off camera shots using a cord in a dimly lit party situation. Both camera and flash were on manual mode and used no filters but had a diffuser on my flash. It was fun and exciting and frustrating and awkward too. So I'm trying to find a different solution.

Again thanks so much for you input and for your inspirational photography! :)