Options

Merritt Island Wildlife Shoot VI

2»

Comments

• Options
    RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    What would be involved in the coordination, give me all of what is expected and I will see if it is something I can do or not. Feel free to pm or email roadlill1 at mindspring.com
  • Options
    kenken Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Merritt Island VI update
    Here’s the list of shooters who have indicated an interest in the shoot so far. If your name is on the list and you’re not coming let me know. If you want to come and your name isn’t on the list let me know.

1. AlexF
    2. Allan Rube
    3. Backdoctor
    4. Ron Barlow
    5. Harry Behret
    6. Birdmanphotographer (Mike)
    7. Bolts
    8. Borderbrae
    9. Dave Brewer
    10. Louis Champaign
    11. Cryptochrome
    12. Dave
    13. DoJC
    14. Flygirl (Nancy)
    15. Gale
    16. Gluwater (Nick)
    17. Bob Hoge
    18. Nan Hoge
    19. Jen Grace
    20. JimK
    21. KristinB
    22. LuisV
    23. Olis
    24. Bonnie Plumer
    25. Dan Plumer
    26. Randy
    27. Slingher
    28. Stl-Don
    29. James Thiel
    30. John Young
    31. Nancy Young
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Hi Harry
    My wife Bonnie and I May be able to come but would be only for the weekend of 2/7 & 2/8.
    Life is too important to take seriously, no one gets out of it alive.
  • Options
    annaelycmannaelycm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Put me on the list...
    Anna Ely

I'm local...well a couple hours away, and will be taking 2 or 3 days off to drive over to some of the events.
  • Options
    PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    I'd be....
    interested in dates, details etc....

Cheers
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    annaelycm wrote:
    Anna Ely

I'm local...well a couple hours away, and will be taking 2 or 3 days off to drive over to some of the events.

clap.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2008
    Pittspilot wrote:
    interested in dates, details etc....

Cheers

The shoot will be from 2/2 - 2/10/09. I will coordinate our activities on the Space Coast. Our main shooting locations will be the Merritt Island NWR and the Viera Wetlands. We should have someone to coordinate the West Coast shortly. Usually a part of the group will break-off to shoot on the west coast of Florida.

The motel info can be found here.

I will be making arrangements for a visit to the raptor rehab center in Apodaka, FL for sometime during the shoot. I'm also checking out the possibility of shooting at the Pelican NWR. We also usually make a run over to the rookery in Gatorland, Orlando during the shoot.

I will be hosting a welcome BBQ at my house on Tuesday 2/3 and I'll be making reservations for a group dinner at one of our local restaurants for Thursday 2/4.

You can see my galleries from past shoots here and here and here.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Trying to Work Out My Schedule
    I'm trying to work it out to come down at least for a few days... Any ideas of what sites you will be going to on which days.?? I'm thinking of taking a couple of days off work so I want the best bang for my buck so to speak..
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    MI VI Update
    Here's the latest info.
    Dates 2/2 -2/9 The west coast portion of the shoot will be at the end of the shoot. In the past it was at the beginning but the Super Bowl will be played in Tampa on 2/1.

I will coordinate the shoot on the Space Coast.

I will host the welcome BBQ at my house on Tuesday 2/3. Start time will be 6 PM. No charge for the BBQ. I will be smoking brisket and turkey breast. Burger and hot dogs will also be available plus sides. I will provide Corona and soda.

I have schdeuled a visit to the Avian Reconditioning Center in Apopka, Fla on Wednesday, 2/4 at 10:30 AM. I'm still working out the details of the visit but it will include some hawk flights. The cost will be approx $10/person.

Thursday evening 2/5 I will book us space at the Dixie Crossroads Restaurant for a group dinner.

As in the past we will meet at the IHOP in the morn, next to the Comfort Inn on Cheney Hghwy, and head out from there. The two main shooting locales will be the Viera Wetlands and the Merritt Island NMR. Other possible shooting sites include the Orlando Wetlands and the Blue Heron Wetlands. Additionally depnding on activity driivng over Orlando to shoot at the rookery in Gatorland is a possibility. I also will be checking out the Pelican Island NWR before the shoot to see if its worth a stop. If Pelican Island looks good we could shoot there in the morn and then head over to Sebastion Inlet for Pelican BIF captures. Pelican Island and Sebastian Inlet are very close to each other.
    Harry
  • Options
    deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Add me to the "more than likely" list... I'm hoping to be there for at least 3-4 days... we'll see what I can do about getting off work..
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Bonnie and I are coming on the 2nd and will have to leave the morning of the 7th. I have made reservations at the Comfort Inn as suggested. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Dan:D
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    From their website

Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands at Viera

The Natural Resources Management Office provides land management for several sites belonging to Brevard County, most notably the Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands at Viera, a property of Brevard County Utility Services. The wetlands are a popular site for birders, photographers, and eco-tourists. The entire wetland system is accessable by automobile, making the site popular among those who find the rigors of hiking trails and summer temperatures daunting. Even better, viewing the site from one's automobile serves to screen visitors from birds and widlife, enhancing the experience.
    Also known as the Viera Wetlands, the Board of County Commissioners designated the sit as the Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands at Viera in December, 2007, in memory of Ritch Grissom, a longtime employee of Brevard County who worked at the adjacent treatment facility.
    In 2008, the wetlands were included in the East Section of the Great Florida Birding Trail.

The wetlands are an integral component of Brevard County's water reuse system. Providing increased water quality and savings over traditional water treatment methods, the constructed wetland system polishes reclaimed water for irrigation or overflow into the adjacent Four-mile Canal.
    The wetlands consist of 200 acres divided into four cells of approximately 35 acres each, plus a central lake. The cells were designed to maintain differing depths of water, reflecting diverse wetland conditions. A special mitigation littoral zone along the lake's shoreline is carefully monitored to assess wetland health and wildlife utilization. While functioning as a healthy, productive, and effective polishing system for water reuse, the wetlands further provide for a biologically diverse ecosystem — affording visitors a wonderful, close-up opportunity to view Brevard County's native wildlife and vegetation.

Approximately 60,000 visitors per year pass through the main entrance to the wetland system — many drawn by the site's stunning abundance of waterfowl and wildlife.
    The perimeter of the wetland’s central lake was seeded with native wildflowers in March 2007. This project was made possible through a grant from the Florida Wildflower Foundation with funds generated through the sale of wildflower license plates. A covered gazebo serves as a visitor’s information center overlooking the lake. The gazebo is surrounded by a demonstration butterfly garden donated by Rockledge Gardens.

Hours: Monday through Sunday – Sunrise to Sunset
    Wetlands Information: (321) 637-5521
    Driving Directions:
    scrws_map_thumb.jpg
    The Viera Wetlands are located approximately two miles west of the traffic circle at the intersection of Wickham Road and Lake Andrew Drive. Visitors traveling on I-95 should take Exit 191 heading west approximately 2.5 miles.
    Note: During heavy rains, the wetland's roads may be closed to vehicles (while remaining open to foot traffic). Visitor's may wish to call the Plant Office to check on road conditions.
    Plant Office: (321) 255-4329
    FOR YOUR SAFETY
    WHILE VISITING THE VIERA WETLANDS
    Never leave children unattended.
    Do not feed or approach alligators or other wildlife.

Stay well back from the shoreline: No swimming or wading.
    Hunting and fishing are not allowed.
    Pets must remain attended and on leashes at all times.
    Before exiting any vehicle, set the brake and turn off the ignition.
    Do not drive on the turf. Stay on designated roadways.

A special request for visiting birders, adapted from the American Birding Association’s Principles of Birding Ethics.
    Thank you for being good stewards while visiting this multi-purpose facility.

To avoid stressing birds or exposing them to danger, exercise restraint and caution during observation, photography, sound recording, or filming.

Refrain from the use of recordings and other methods of attracting birds, and never use such methods in heavily birded areas, for attracting any species that is Threatened, Endangered, or of Special Concern, or is rare here.

Keep well back from nests and nesting colonies, roosts, display areas, and important feeding sites. In such sensitive areas, if there is a need for extended observation, photography, filming, or recording, try to use a blind or hide, and take advantage of natural cover
    Harry
  • Options
    teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2009
    Harry you can count me
    Harryb wrote:
    The shoot will be from 2/2 - 2/10/09. I will coordinate our activities on the Space Coast. Our main shooting locations will be the Merritt Island NWR and the Viera Wetlands. We should have someone to coordinate the West Coast shortly. Usually a part of the group will break-off to shoot on the west coast of Florida.

The motel info can be found here.

I will be making arrangements for a visit to the raptor rehab center in Apodaka, FL for sometime during the shoot. I'm also checking out the possibility of shooting at the Pelican NWR. We also usually make a run over to the rookery in Gatorland, Orlando during the shoot.

I will be hosting a welcome BBQ at my house on Tuesday 2/3 and I'll be making reservations for a group dinner at one of our local restaurants for Thursday 2/4.

You can see my galleries from past shoots here and here and here.

But unfortunately only for Saturday the 7th and Sunday the 8th, I will be driving over from Winter Park. Also I have been to the raptor rehab center in Apopka, FL it was very cool they even gave us an opportunity to capture some images of a flying “?” European Snowy Owl. Mark
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    I just Pm'd this info to the folks who indicated an interest in the shoot. If you want to attend and did not get this PM then I don't have you on the list. If you wish to attend PM me or drop a line in this thread.

MI VI info

The welcoming BBQ will be on Tuesday 2/3 from 6 PM on. It will be at my house. It’s a 15 minute drive from the Viera Wetlands so I would suggest that you shoot at the wetlands that afternoon and then just head over to my house.

I will be arranging a group dinner Thursday night 2/5 at the Dixie Crossroads Restaurant. I will make the reservation for 6:30 PM. The restaurant is off of US 95 exit 220 (that’s the exit for the MINWR and you will have passed the restaurant a couple of times before the 5th). Here’s the link to their website. http://www.dixiecrossroads.com/

On Wednesday I have scheduled a visit to the Avian Reconditioning Center at 10:30 AM. Their address is 323 W. Lester Rd. Apopka, FL 32712
    http://www.arc4raptors.org/

The cost will be approx $10/person. Let me know if you’re interested in this trip.

For those interested Tom Carver will take 3 persons out on his boat from 7-10 AM. Please let me know if you want to take one of the trips and what day you prefer.

Mornings of 2-2, 2-4, 2-5 ,2-6 ,2-7 ,2-8 ,2-9 ,2-10

It's $65.00 per person for 3 hours... chances are if the weather is outstanding and the birds are hot we will be out for 4 as long as I don't have a fishing trip booked that afternoon.
    The hours are 7-10 am.
    The location is called Parrish Park.
    The Island is about 5-8 minutes away by boat and is only accessed by boat. It is a protected nesting area where Spoonbills nest. But will also see Herons and Egrets as well. Right now there are about 25-50 Birds on it. There is also about 2-3 more Islands as well with the same on them. So I can guarantee birds. We will be about 15 feet from the shore and they will be about 50-75 feet from camera. 200-400's are almost to long... the 70-200 mm 2.8 is perfect for this. Although I do use my 200-400 there all the time but for a more head shot type of picture.
    Here is a link to the type of photos to expect.
    http://gallery.me.com/tomcarver#100168
    They all came from this Island. The meeting point for these trips will be:

Lelle's Bait and Tackle
    20 North Washington Ave
    Titusville Fl 32796

The word that I am getting is that the rookery in Gatorland has very good activity and it sounds like it would be worth a stop. A single day photo pass is $29.99. It’s about an hour drive from the Space Coast.
    http://www.gatorland.com/
    Shooting Sites
    Viera Wetlands - http://www.brevardcounty.us/environmental_management/VieraWetlands-Home.cfm

Merritt Island NWR - http://www.fws.gov/merrittisland/

Blue Heron Wetlands - http://www.cfbw.com/blueheron.shtml

Orlando Wetlands - http://www.nbbd.com/godo/orlandowetlands/
    Other info

Sunrise/sunset – approx 7:05 AM/6:05 PM

If you could e-mail me your phone # I will prepare a list of all the cell #s and distribute it to the shoot participants.
    West Coast portion of the Shoot

Bolts (Pia) will coordinate that. It will be from Friday 2/6 –Sunday 2/8. Please contact Bolts on Nikon Café for the West Coast info.

I will be in Vegas from 1/21 -1/28. I will have my laptop with me so I will be in touch as best I can. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2009
    West Coast Info
    Here is the hotel information for the West Coast shoot -

There's a convenient, clean, and relatively cheap Comfort Inn as follows:

Comfort Inn -
    2260 54th Ave. N.
    I-275 exit 26, St. Petersburg, FL 33714

(727) 362-0075‎

They have plenty of rooms for that weekend.
    Singles are $108 plus tax
    Doubles are $117 plus tax

David Brewer has already made reservations for a room Thursday-Saturday night.

Allan has rented a condo with his wife for at least a couple of weeks.

Randy is staying at my house, with 3 pirates and 3 cats Wednesday-Saturday morning.

We have interest from John Carol in SW Florida. Looking forward to meeting you, John!

Mitchell and Wade (BrainOnSigs) have expressed interest through Randy for shooting a day or two. They are local. Mitch, love the 'new' avatar thingie.

Harry's DGrin buddies have expressed interest. Harry, they can post here, PM me, email me, or call me and I'll sign 'em up.

Rumour has it we will be getting 'frozen snow pellets' falling from the sky tomorrow night here in the Bay area, but I PROMISE that will NOT happen during MIVI.

Let's start this party off right with an afternoon cook-out after the morning shoot at Fort Desoto on Friday. I'm thinking chips/dip, dogs/condiments, a cooler full of Southern Style Sweet Tea, and I'll make a casserole the size of my SUV.

If you need Pia's phone # for me info on the west coast shoot PM me.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2009
    If you want more info on the boat trips check out the last few pages in this thread on Nikon Cafe

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=187550
    Harry
  • Options
    GaleGale Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    ken wrote:
    Hi Harry
    My wife Bonnie and I May be able to come but would be only for the weekend of 2/7 & 2/8.

Hi Harry
    Please add Donna to the list:>))
    Thanks
    Gale
    Best Regards
    Gale

www.pbase.com/techwish
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2009
    Hi Y'all,

A few things as we get closer to the shoot.

If you want to go out in Tom Carver's boat we need know ASAP so we can get you scheduled.

Right now I have 3 folks interested in the visit to the Avian Ctr. on Wednesday the 4th. If you want to go plase let me lnow ASAP so I can let the folks at the Avian Ctr know.

Weather

A cold front is moving into the area. Temps for next week are predicted to be below 50 most mornings and will go up to the highs 50s and 60s in the afternoons. The 10 day forecast shows a 30% chance of scattered thundershowers on Monday and Tuesday with clear sailing for the rest of the week. The rain won't affect the BBQ as my backyard is under cover but do dress warmly.

Even though the temps won't be as high as usual the sun will still be out. If you haven't been outside much you will get sunburnt unless you use sunscreen.

One of the GBH nests at Viera has two chicks in it that are rather photogenic.

I will meet y'all at the IHOP off of exit 215 of US 95 at 6:30 AM Monday morning.
    Harry
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi Y'all,

A few things as we get closer to the shoot.

If you want to go out in Tom Carver's boat we need know ASAP so we can get you scheduled.

Right now I have 3 folks interested in the visit to the Avian Ctr. on Wednesday the 4th. If you want to go plase let me lnow ASAP so I can let the folks at the Avian Ctr know.

Weather

A cold front is moving into the area. Temps for next week are predicted to be below 50 most mornings and will go up to the highs 50s and 60s in the afternoons. The 10 day forecast shows a 30% chance of scattered thundershowers on Monday and Tuesday with clear sailing for the rest of the week. The rain won't affect the BBQ as my backyard is under cover but do dress warmly.

Even though the temps won't be as high as usual the sun will still be out. If you haven't been outside much you will get sunburnt unless you use sunscreen.

One of the GBH nests at Viera has two chicks in it that are rather photogenic.

I will meet y'all at the IHOP off of exit 215 of US 95 at 6:30 AM Monday morning.

We are flying in on the 2nd so won't be able to meet everyone at the IHOP. I guess we will go to Vierra on the 3rd and see you at the BBQ unless there will be an early meet up on the 3rd?
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    We are flying in on the 2nd so won't be able to meet everyone at the IHOP. I guess we will go to Vierra on the 3rd and see you at the BBQ unless there will be an early meet up on the 3rd?

Give me a call Monday nite and I'll tell you what the folsk have in mind for Tuesday. I'll be doing BBQ prep and probably won't be out shooting.
    Harry
  • Options
    annaelycmannaelycm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2009
    Can't wait to meet up with everyone this week. I've got to work tomorrow part of Tuesday, so wont' be over until the afternoon/evening.

I'm hoping to shoot a bit before heading over to the BBQ. I'll be coming to the Rapture Recovery Center on Wednesday...and I'm flexible the rest of the week. Do we have anything else definite lined up for certain times or places? Anyone planning to head to Gatorland during the week? Saturday morning, my sister and I will be over for the boat ride with Tom Carver in the morning.

Anna...who's charging batteries and formatting CF cards in anticipation!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2009
    annaelycm wrote:
    Can't wait to meet up with everyone this week. I've got to work tomorrow part of Tuesday, so wont' be over until the afternoon/evening.

I'm hoping to shoot a bit before heading over to the BBQ. I'll be coming to the Rapture Recovery Center on Wednesday...and I'm flexible the rest of the week. Do we have anything else definite lined up for certain times or places? Anyone planning to head to Gatorland during the week? Saturday morning, my sister and I will be over for the boat ride with Tom Carver in the morning.

Anna...who's charging batteries and formatting CF cards in anticipation!!!!

Hey Anna,

If you want to do some shooting before the BBQ just head over to the Viera Wetlands. They are just a 15 minute drive from my place.

Wednesday we have the trip to the Avian CTR lined up. I'm sure we will be making a run over to Gatorland at some point as the action is supposed to be very good there right now.

I'll be talking about that at the BBQ tomorrow nite when we have most of the folks together.

The weather wasn't the ebst today but the action at MINWR and the Viera Wetlands was pretty good.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2009
    West Coast Update
    From Pia, our west coast co-ordinator

" hope you all are having fun, shooting birds, and keeping warm over there on the East Coast!

For you West Coast attendees -

We currently have between 9 and 15 shooters and I believe we'll see some DGrin folks also. Randy, Wade and I are starting out at the cemetary bright and early Friday morning to shoot the eagles, then on to Sawgrass Lake Park and probably down to Ft Desoto after that. Please call me on my cell if you'd like to meet up in any of these locations.

I had thought to have a picnic at Ft Desoto near sunset on Friday just to prove that we can take an hour or two out of our day to eat sitting down, but with everyone arriving at odd hours, I've decided to move it to Saturday.

So Saturday I will miss the morning shooter and whip up a casserole and buy some dogs and buns; I'll be around the first picnic table on the beach at North Beach any time after around 2:00pm. I'll call Kristin and Brewer during the day to see how you all are doing.

Directions to Desoto (Duck ponds on the right once you get onto the Tierra Verde)

From 275, take the Pinellas Bayway west (toll road) (aka 54th Ave S)
    Take a Left on 679, which is also the Pinellas Bayway (follow the signs)
    Go all the way down to the t-intersection (at the flag, 5 miles or so)
    Go right to North Beach all the way at the end, park and walk over the foot bridge.

Directions to the cemetery (from the north)

Take 275 to 5th Ave N.
    Go West (Right) on 5th
    Go Left on 58th Street
    Go Left on 1st Ave S.
    Turn Right into the Royal Palm Cemetery (you'll be right on it.)
    Make a Left at the circle
    Make your first Left
    Make your first Right
    Go all the way to the end and make a Right
    Eagle's nest is in the large pine on your right side about 50 yards down.

The first Friday of every month, the Biff Burger in St Pete has an antique car show. This is an outside restaurant and bar, live music and some fabulous cars. It will be packed with people, too. I highly recommend it to those of you who are still awake at 8:00pm after all this fresh air, sunshine, excitement, and pre-dawn alarm clocks.

http://www.biffburgers.com/

Directions to Biff Burger
    From 275, take 38th Ave N. exit
    Go West
    Go Right on 49th Street N. and it's on your right with a big yellow sign.
    3939 49th St. N.
    727-527-5297

So there you are! I'll be leaving my computer Thursday afternoon and won't be back until Monday. Please PM me if you need my number or I need your number.

(Harry, haven't heard from any DGrin guys...)"<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2009
    The eagles in the cemetery nest are almost always present. At least one of them. I believe there are a couple young'uns there, as there seems to always be an adult keeping vigil there. Probably from the nearby hawk.

(I live a couple blocks away from the cemetery, and we have been there geocaching a couple times over the past few weekends).