Options

The Racetrack of Death Valley

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited March 15, 2009 in Landscapes
The Racetrack is 27 miles down a washboard dirt road with a few rocks strewn about randomly to keep you on your toes.

#1 Along the way, you pass Teakettle Junction.
IMG_4229_30_31.jpg

#2 Arriving at the Racetrack playa, one is struck by how big and flat the area is. This is a small portion of it.
IMG_4250_1_2.jpg

#3 The Racetrack is known for rocks that slide across the playa, seemingly on their own volition.
IMG_4358_59_60.jpg

#4 No one has ever witnessed one move. There are theories as to what causes them to move, but nobody knows for sure.
IMG_4289_90_91.jpg

#5 The rocks are spread far apart, so one must walk a long ways to find one.
IMG_4343_4_5.jpg

#6 It was cold and dark on the long road out, and the stars were bright in the sky, so we stopped for some light-painting fun.
IMG_4388.jpg

#7 Later that same evening, after my trip companion Aaron (anwmn1) was sacked out in his tent, I grabbed some star trails.
IMG_4393.jpg

It was a great afternoon and evening. Hope you enjoyed it as well.
-joel

Comments

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    :jawdrop

SWEET!!

Yeah I was sacked out because I was sleeping in a tent on the rocks of Death Valley and kdog was enjoying the confines of his full size Surburban with a matress!! rolleyes1.gif

He also got to enjoy his Jacuzzi the next night while I didn't get home until 2:30am Monday morning. rolleyes1.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Great photos !! #5 is my favourite...Whats the drive into Death Valley like ?
    Is a jeep / 4 wheel drive mandatory ?

Looks like I am heading to Vegas for a conference in May and I am looking to spend 4 - 6 days after the fact heading out to Arches and then back towards Vegas over that time..Death Valley is definitely high on my list but I have read that its not an easy place to get to ?

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • Options
    shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Excellent Joel- love the ones of the racetrack. I am so jealous of Aaron and you! I had a small dinky car and could not dream of taking that road from the Ubehebe crater towards the racetrack. I missed some nice scenery!!! :cry

Cheers,
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    These are fantastic. What a place to shoot. My list keeps getting longer.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    :jawdrop

SWEET!!

Yeah I was sacked out because I was sleeping in a tent on the rocks of Death Valley and kdog was enjoying the confines of his full size Surburban with a matress!! rolleyes1.gif

He also got to enjoy his Jacuzzi the next night while I didn't get home until 2:30am Monday morning. rolleyes1.gif
    Thank you my friend. You're a nice guy and all that, but if you expected to sleep in the back of the Surburban with me, you have rocks in your head. :thwak

rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    Dave Clee wrote:

Looks like I am heading to Vegas for a conference in May and I am looking to spend 4 - 6 days after the fact heading out to Arches and then back towards Vegas over that time..Death Valley is definitely high on my list but I have read that its not an easy place to get to ?

Cheers

Dave
    Thank you, Dave! Death Valley is a huge place with lots and lots to see. All of the main roads in Death Valley are paved and suitable for any kind of car.

There are certain areas in Death Valley that are only reachable by dirt roads, and the Racetrack is one such place. There is absolutely no need for 4x4 getting to the racetrack if you take the main road from Scotties Castle. Any car can do the drive if you're careful. The biggest danger is becoming complacent, and hitting one of the many rocks that find their way into the road. That can blow a tire. The washboard surface of the road will rattle your fillings, and make you think your car is coming apart.

You can get to Death Valley by driving on Nevada highway 95 north for 111 miles (or about one hour mwink.gif).

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    Excellent Joel- love the ones of the racetrack. I am so jealous of Aaron and you! I had a small dinky car and could not dream of taking that road from the Ubehebe crater towards the racetrack. I missed some nice scenery!!! :cry

Cheers,

Thanks, Nikhil. Honestly, the dinky car can make it if you're careful and take it slow. I was impressed enough with the Racetrack to want to go back and spend a longer time there, and I know Aaron feels the same way. It's a pretty big area and well worth the time to explore.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Great series! Like the light of #3 and the comp of #5 the best but all photos are strong.

I'm not touching the Suburban issue... lol3.gif
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Great shots, Kdog!! Especially #3!! clap.gif

You and Aaron have successfully pushed the Racetrack to the top of my "Must go to" list! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Would Death Valley offer enough to stay a few days ? Or is this a day trip only. Are there any hotels /motels close by or are you sleeping in the van in order to catch the sunrise ?

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Thank you my friend. You're a nice guy and all that, but if you expected to sleep in the back of the Surburban with me, you have rocks in your head. :thwak

rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

rolleyes1.gif

Aaron Newman

• Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    Dave Clee wrote:
    Would Death Valley offer enough to stay a few days ? Or is this a day trip only. Are there any hotels /motels close by or are you sleeping in the van in order to catch the sunrise ?

Cheers

Dave

There is definetly enough in Death Valley to stay a few days. We barely scratched the surface of places to see.

There are a couple hotels and several camp grounds. Depending on where you are staying and what you are trying to see you could have a 10 mile drive or a 80 mile drive.

Aaron Newman

• Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    There is definetly enough in Death Valley to stay a few days. We barely scratched the surface of places to see.

There are a couple hotels and several camp grounds. Depending on where you are staying and what you are trying to see you could have a 10 mile drive or a 80 mile drive.
    Yup. DV is 114 miles long, and 37 miles wide, and the various viewpoints and attractions are spread out across the park. If you've only got one shot at Death Valley, you're cheating yourself by allowing just a single day. You'll spend all day driving, and only spending a few minutes at each attraction. I've done DV that way in the past, and rather unsatisfying.

Lots of lodging options either directly in, or just outside the park. See here: http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/lodging.htm
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Great series! Like the light of #3 and the comp of #5 the best but all photos are strong.

I'm not touching the Suburban issue... lol3.gif
    Thanks, Ron! I'm happy and amazed you liked the entire series. Of course, I did feel they were the best out of the 7,000 shots I took there. :wow Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. rolleyes1.gif

As to the Surburban issue, let's just let sleeping dogs lie. No wait, that didn't sound right either...

-joel
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Fabulous series....and story clap.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    pokerpoker Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Nice series. I hit up DV 3 times last year and there is still so much to see. I like your 3rd pic a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Dave Clee wrote:

No. There are manicured dirt roads there easily driven on for any SUV. Just research ahead of time what roads to take. The major dirt roads are even found on my Garmin GPS.
    I like photos especially ones shot by Canons. I'm just another fanboy :ivar
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    eek7.gifhuheek7.gif wow
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    If you've only got one shot at Death Valley, you're cheating yourself by allowing just a single day. You'll spend all day driving, and only spending a few minutes at each attraction. I've done DV that way in the past, and rather unsatisfying.

15524779-Ti.gif

My last visit to DV in October took five days. That was my fourth visit and I still haven't come close to seeing everything there. It's the largest National Park in the lower 48 so keep that in mind. There's tons to see and do.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    These are fantastic. What a place to shoot. My list keeps getting longer.

Thanks a bunch, Bryan. thumb.gif

-joel
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Great shots, Kdog!! Especially #3!! clap.gif

You and Aaron have successfully pushed the Racetrack to the top of my "Must go to" list! thumb.gif
    Thanks very much, Chris. If I've inspired folks to visit this place, my work is done. 1drink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Fabulous series....and story clap.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thanks, Dan! Glad you enjoyed it. :D

-joel
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    #1 Along the way, you pass Teakettle Junction.
    Wow, a lot less teakettles since I was last there.
    kdog wrote:
    #2 Arriving at the Racetrack playa, one is struck by how big and flat the area is. This is a small portion of it.
    Nice light. I love how the grandstand is in silhouette.
    kdog wrote:
    #3 The Racetrack is known for rocks that slide across the playa, seemingly on their own volition.

#4 No one has ever witnessed one move. There are theories as to what causes them to move, but nobody knows for sure.
    I know exactly how they move. Yep sure do. nod.gif One word... aliens. mwink.gif There is nothing you can say to make me change my mind.
    kdog wrote:
    #7 Later that same evening, after my trip companion Aaron (anwmn1) was sacked out in his tent, I grabbed some star trails.
    Looks like you found the alien entrance to DV. If that isn't alien enough for you, I don't know what is.

Seriously, those are some awesome images. :cool

Just watch out for the aliens when you are out that way.

:s85
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Dave Clee wrote:
    Just drive north past my house then hang a left, in other words take hwy 95 north (I will wave hi) then left on hwy 374 west at Beatty (don't forget to check out Rhyolite).

Just be aware that it will be about 100 degrees in DV in May. Bring lots of water.

There is lodging in the park at Stovepipe Wells and Furnace Creek (think air conditioning).

P.S. Feel free to contact me when you are here.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Great pics Joel.

#3 & #5 for me thumb.gif

My only trip there, was not really there, I'd say through the park. Motorcycle trip in June eek7.gif

I want to go back, for several days this time.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    Wow, a lot less teakettles since I was last there.

Nice light. I love how the grandstand is in silhouette.

I know exactly how they move. Yep sure do. nod.gif One word... aliens. mwink.gif There is nothing you can say to make me change my mind.

Looks like you found the alien entrance to DV. If that isn't alien enough for you, I don't know what is.

Seriously, those are some awesome images. :cool

Just watch out for the aliens when you are out that way.

:s85

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Thanks, Bill!!! Yeah, I thought I'd seen pictures of the Teakettle sign with tons more teakettles on it. I guess folks are stealing them, rather than leaving them. Even worse, evidently folks are stealing the rocks as well. We saw a lot of tracks where the rock had clearly been removed. :bluduh

Anyway, you're right about the aliens. I didn't want to say anything, but the cat's out of the bag now. :D

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    poker wrote:
    Nice series. I hit up DV 3 times last year and there is still so much to see. I like your 3rd pic a lot. Thanks for sharing.

No. There are manicured dirt roads there easily driven on for any SUV. Just research ahead of time what roads to take. The major dirt roads are even found on my Garmin GPS.
    Thank you, Poker! I agree on the roads. They're not bad at all. Ditto on the Garmin.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    eek7.gifhuheek7.gif wow

I'll take that as a compliment. :D Thank you, sir!!

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

My last visit to DV in October took five days. That was my fourth visit and I still haven't come close to seeing everything there. It's the largest National Park in the lower 48 so keep that in mind. There's tons to see and do.

nod.gif So true.

Thanks for checking in, Dogwood. thumb.gif

-joel
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Great pics Joel.

#3 & #5 for me thumb.gif

My only trip there, was not really there, I'd say through the park. Motorcycle trip in June eek7.gif

I want to go back, for several days this time.
    Thanks, Randy! Glad you liked the shots.

I've motorcycled through DV in the heat before, mostly in the fall. June must have been pretty intense. :wow And yeah, you don't see much that way. It's all you can do to keep your eyes open.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Very nice series. 2-5 are very impressive to me.

Periodically the NPS removes the tea kettles. Technically, they are considered litter.
    Anybody can do it.