Options

Wedding Help!

ShayebrydShayebryd Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited March 28, 2009 in Weddings
A friend of mine is getting married in May, second marriage for both. So this won't be your traditional wedding, smaller, more scaled down. But she has asked me to take her photographs knowing that I am very much an amateur. And I truly am. I have some nice equipment, but just learning how to use it. I am only weeks into my 1st photography class.
The thought of weddings has always been a bit frightening for the simple fact that if you mess up it's not like you get a second chance.
The wedding is taking place in a countryclub type setting at 2 in the afternoon. I am hoping to see the place prior to the wedding. Reception follows immediately in an adjacent building.

My equipment includes:

Canon Rebel XTi (was hoping for a Canon 50D before then, but doesn't look too good at this point :)
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS
Canon 70-200mm f/4 L IS
Canon 50mm f/1.4
Canon 430ex Speedlite Flash (still reading manual, lol, only turned on once)

NO Tripod

Panasonic Lumix LX3 (for some quickie fun shots)

I have read up on weddings and have a pretty good checklist of poses I should get. But some of my main concerns are:

Where to position myself when taking pix of the ceremony.
When does it become over extending the boundaries.
Which lens should I use when. Which would be best for the ceremony, ect.
Advice re: lighting
What mode to shoot in
I have 4 4gb Memory cards....should I shoot in Raw or given the limited memory should I just shoot some part of the ceremony in Raw or not at all

I have CS3 and Lightroom 1, with limited knowledge.

Top of the list purchase is a battery pack.....!!!

I'm getting overwhelmed just thinking about it......so, ok.....anything you have to offer or resources you can direct my way is so much appreciated. :)
Oh, and did I mention...she is not hiring a professional.....other than disposable cameras scattered around and pix taken by guests, I'm it...yikes!!!
Honestly, anything you have to offer, tips, ideas, anything, will truly be appreciated.

PS I am hoping to maybe use some photos to work on building a portfolio, does one get a release signed or is that tacky and maybe to be addressed down the road?

Thank you so much in advance!
"My favorite thing is to go where I've never been!"

Comments

• Options
    bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    headscratch.gif Frankly I have always been against this type of arrangement having photographed wedding for many years. Your friend seems to be putting the burden on learning and know what to do on you a novice. If it were me I would just use the Point and Shoot and find a wedding photography book for the sequence. I'm certain you will get a lot of advice here and just filter thru and choose what suits you.
    bsvirginian
    Shayebryd wrote:
    A friend of mine is getting married in May, second marriage for both. So this won't be your traditional wedding, smaller, more scaled down. But she has asked me to take her photographs knowing that I am very much an amateur. And I truly am. I have some nice equipment, but just learning how to use it. I am only weeks into my 1st photography class.
    The thought of weddings has always been a bit frightening for the simple fact that if you mess up it's not like you get a second chance.
    The wedding is taking place in a countryclub type setting at 2 in the afternoon. I am hoping to see the place prior to the wedding. Reception follows immediately in an adjacent building.

My equipment includes:

Canon Rebel XTi (was hoping for a Canon 50D before then, but doesn't look too good at this point :)
    Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS
    Canon 70-200mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.4

NO Tripod

I have read up on weddings and have a pretty good checklist of poses I should get. But some of my main concerns are:

What mode to shoot in
    I have 4 4gb Memory cards....should I shoot in Raw or given the limited memory should I just shoot some part of the ceremony in Raw or not at all

I'm getting overwhelmed just thinking about it......so, ok.....anything you have to offer or resources you can direct my way is so much appreciated. :)
    Oh, and did I mention...she is not hiring a professional.....other than disposable cameras scattered around and pix taken by guests, I'm it...yikes!!!
    Honestly, anything you have to offer, tips, ideas, anything, will truly be appreciated.

PS I am hoping to maybe use some photos to work on building a portfolio, does one get a release signed or is that tacky and maybe to be addressed down the road?

• Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    headscratch.gif Frankly I have always been against this type of arrangement having photographed wedding for many years. Your friend seems to be putting the burden on learning and know what to do on you a novice. If it were me I would just use the Point and Shoot and find a wedding photography book for the sequence. I'm certain you will get a lot of advice here and just filter thru and choose what suits you.
    bsvirginian

Thank you for your response.....actually I really want to do this......I love photography...it has been a long passion of mine.....not sure why I never advanced in it earlier........if you browse some of my work on my SmugMug, http://shayebryd.smugmug.com/, I have taken some pretty decent pix........I mean, not too bad for an amateur......and knowing that she is not planning to hire a professional in some way makes me feel like whatever I take is more then what she would have gotten. So really I am hoping to get some good advice that will help me do the best job within my capabilities! :)
    Thank you! :)
  • Options
    photobanksphotobanks Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Stay positive, do not let people distract you from what you are trying to achieve.

Be polite with the guests, and use the best man and ushers to help you throughout the day.

Make sure you use soft lighting, use the shade from tree's outside, and do not be afraid to try something out of the ordinary - you might actually be surprised at what you could achieve.

Have a rough plan of what you would like to take before the day has begun... speak to the bride and groom to find out what they would like in their album. Visit the place you are taking the photos and work out the best locations to use... this is a great time saver on the day. Try not to keep people hanging around too long... they will get bored and it will show in your final images.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Michael
    Michael Banks

www.banksy.me.uk - main website
    http://galleries.banksy.me.uk - smugmug site
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    To be blunt .... I fear your friend is going to get what (s)he paid for.

I looked through what I could of your galleries (a lot of them are locked down and/or hidden). Didn't see anything that says you can work with people - of course you have a number of shoots that I couldn't get to.

I worry that you don't have sufficient equipment for the reception - they tend to be dark, even in the middle of the afternoon. Your lenses are a little slow for that kind of environment. However, you have a chance of pulling it off if the wedding and the reception are outside.

On the subject if equipement ... what do you have for a backup plan should a piece of your kit fail? If your camera body goes on strike - what are you going to do. Please consider finding a source of a backup for everything you might use. It's ok to rent or borrow it but have it on hand and within easy reach throughout the day.

Memory - You re going to be shooting RAW, right? Tell me you are going to shoot RAW! Do you have enough memory to hold 1,500 RAW images. It's not a good idea to re-use cards during the day. Have them all formatted at the start of the day and use them only once. Don't delete photos from the card until you have at least two other copies of each.

A wedding is not the place to expiement. Ideally, you should be able to make all adjustments to your equipment IN THE DARK - without being able to see what you are doing. Are you there? I the last couple of years, I've had the pleasure of teaching what I know about wedding photography (a VERY small note book's worth, I assure you). None the less, the shorted period of time in which I have been able to do this is three weeks, meeting twice a week for 2 to 4 hours. Personal, one-on-one attention. And, I still went to the first event as a backup and a good thing too. I fear you don't have the time to cover the basics between now and May.

You question about "where to stand" says volumes. To counter this, may I suggest you talk to the officiant of your friend's wedding and ask permission to attend as a guest a couple of his weddings - just to get an idea of the flow of things. If you are lucky, there may also be a photographer working the wedding that you can observe. You can learn volumes that way - both the good and the bad.

Finally, read the resources sticky in this forum. Read the Tips and Tricks threads. Read my thoughts on wedding photograhy (link in my signature below). Practice shooting in dark environments, with and without your flash. Investigate sources for renting decent glass. I would suggest you seriously consider the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS and the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS. These will cover 99% of everything you will need to get. If you visit the Smug Club you will see that you can get a discount from BorrowLenses.com. I've dealt with them a couple of times and couldn't be happier.

I hope this doesn't come across as too heavy. My intent is to wake you up to the extent of the responsibility you have agreed to shoulder and the huge number of ways this can go wrong for you and your friend. I hope this has helped some and I really hope it works out for you.

All that being said, if you have specific questions that are not covered by the above advice or if you need more detail of any of the above, please ask.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    WOW! Quite surprised by the responses, truly.

Seems PhotoBank is the only one with any type of encouragement.
    And I thank you for that! :) And thank you for your thoughtful advice!!!!

I am not claiming to be qualified to be a "Wedding Photographer", quite the opposite......I am very honest about my lack of knowledge.

I came here to ask for advice.....as an amateur.......

If you were to have a wedding or special occasion and had no plans whatsoever for whatever reason of hiring a professional to capture the moment......would you not appreciate someone....anyone......whoever....to take some photos of the event....or would your attitude be it has to be the best or nothing?

My friend had no intention of hiring a photographer....is her asking me to shoot some pix for her any different then putting disposable cameras on the table and having guests capture some shots?

There is no expectations on her part....there is however on mine.......simply to do the best I can.....and that is why I came here....I thought someone might at least point me in the right direction, give me a few tips........a little encouragement wouldn't hurt either........:)

Scott, in my post I did list that I have a EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens that you suggested I get......I also questioned about shooting in RAW..........

I thank you all for the time to answer my post...it is very much appreciated......My hope is someone will come along with some more positive advice........:)
    Happy Friday!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    Scott,
    Thank you....I appreciate the references you directed me to. I checked them out and they are going to be very helpful!
    I'll be spending quite some time trying to digest all the wonderful information!!!
    Thank you so much! :)
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Get a couple 8GB memory cards and...

SHOOT RAW SHOOT RAW SHOOT RAW!!!

the 17-55 2.8 will be the primary lens on your camera during the majority of the day. 70-200 could be of some use for some specific applications, and most likely only in good lighting conditions as you have the f4 version not the f2.8. Definitely rent a second body as a back up for the day. Get the same body you have now so you know how to use it better. You'll think you'll want to rent the 50D, or a 5D, but you've never used one, so just stick with what you know, and rent an XTi. If for anything besides a back up, have a second lens mounted on it and slap it on your shoulder, that way you don't have to switch lenses mid shoot.

GET EXTRA BATTERIES. and HAVE THEM CHARGED! Very important. Your batteries will run dead faster than you can imagine.

Everyone elses advice is pretty spot on. Scott wasn't trying to discourage I think, just making sure to be aware and proceed with caution. From what you've said, it doesn't sound like your friend is expecting anything from you. Which is a good thing, but don't let it come around and bite you in the end...maybe a simple contract put into place stating your experience level and ALL expectations and outcomes of the day...
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Shayebryd wrote:

If you can visit, try to do it at the same time of day the wedding will be held. Bring someone along that you can take test shots of. Have them wear a white top and black pants. This will help you get a good idea ahead of time as to what kind of settings you will need for your exposures.

Try to shoot in full manual. You will need a shutter speed fast enough that camera shake and subject movement won't cause blurry shots. 1/80 or so with the 17-55 should be plenty. You will need an aperture wide enough to keep your subjects in focus. F4 on the 17-55 is a safe bet....especially at the wider end of the zoom. Use an ISO that will allow you to use the shutter speed and aperture you choose. I have shot a LOT of photographs with the XTi/17-55F2.8 combo. In my experience with that camera IF you can stay below ISO1600 you will be much happier with the results. ISO800 and lower is MUCH better as far as noise is concerned.
    Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS
    Canon 70-200mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.4

Im sure people have done it, but I couldnt imagine shooting a wedding on a tripod. I have used a monopod though, and like its mobility...and ability to steady the camera.

Ive shot weddings with much less. You actually have some very nice gear. You need to be sure you have spare batteries for everything. 3 camera batteries might be sufficient.....the IS in those lenses also draw from the camera battery. For the flash, I usually use rechargable ones, but always keep one of those big packs with a dozen or so duracells for each flash unit in my bag. These are "just in case" and if I don't use them, I will give them up to our houshold battery collection for use in other gizmos. I always bring fresh for spares.

Battery management is important too. Remember to swap out for fresh batteries......before....not during the ceremony. Just be smart...and safe about it. You may find yourself away from your camera bag. Wear pants...or a shirt with pockets to keep spare batteries and memory cards on you "in case". Format ALL of the momory cards before you leave home.

Forget it.....not needed.

IMO the closer the better. You do have the 70-200, but even at F4 and with IS, you have a better chance of getting sharp shots if you are closer and using the 17-55. Kneeling in the aisle is okay....and be sure to move around....get a few shots from the wings. This, of course, depends much on the venue. Find out the "house rules". My church only allows photography from the balcony....and no flash.....during a ceremony.

If there is enough light to shoot without flash......don't use a flash.

The photographs are about the wedding.....the wedding is NOT about the photographs.

I honestly think that you can do the whole shebang with ONLY the 17-55. IF you can come up with a spare camera....(I highly recommend you do) then maybe mount the 70-200 for some more intimate candids. If the 17-55 conks out, you have the 50mm to pull you through in a pinch. Switching lenses on a camera body during a ceremony is not for the faint of heart. Id avoid it were I you.

Natural light will look good...usually...if there is enough of it. If you have to use flash, get you a decent diffuser. I use a Gary Fong "cloud" Lightsphere. I like it.....but others tout other diffusers. The lightsphere allows the removal of the "lid" so that it can be used to bounce off the ceiling while still illuminating the foreground nice and soft. I use my flash OFF of the camera and mounted to a monopod for a light on a stick type technique. You would need to purchase a Canon STE2 transmitter...and a monopod to do this...along with the diffuser.

Heres how
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=992414&postcount=13
    What mode to shoot in

Manual. Set it for a correct exposure. The lighting wont likely be changing.

Shoot in RAW. You will have more latitude for adjustments later. 16 gigs for the XTi RAW files will hold far more photos than you will want to edit.

If you are still worried about having enough storage, bring a laptop and card reader. Unload all of the pre ceremony files from the cards prior to the ceremony. Double check to be sure the files transferred.....format...and then shoot the rest of the event. DONT transfer the wedding and reception files til you are back home.

Shooting RAW, LR will allow batch processing for correction of white balance, noise removal, etc. Dont shoot carte blanc.....pay attention to details before pressing the shutter.....this will cut your editing time dramatically.

Unless you are planning to "become" a wedding photographer I think this is a wasteful purchase. Save the $$. Buy plenty spare AA's and use the $$ to rent a spare XTi body. Why XTi? Because you are familiar with it and its menus and its capabilities. Dont drag an alien camera to a wedding.deal.gif

Lots of folks do the dispoable thing. Its cute...I guess....but if they have flashes aboard, and one gets fired while you are shooting something uber important...it will cause your shot to overexpose. Be carefull.

Ill pray.....but really....she knows you arent a pro....its a small...less formal affair......so....ne_nau.gif

She should be the one worried about her photos....not you. You are only capable of doing your best. If she has seen your work, then she deems that "good enough". Do your best.....freaking out wont help at all.

Maybe you are getting ahead of yourself here.....but.....getting a release signed is NOT tacky. Just explain why you want it and do it. No biggy.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Jeff- You da' man! That was some good advice!
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    Jeff- You da' man! That was some good advice!

......yeah..yeah.....my good deed for the month.....rolleyes1.gif

Hey....she's got better(or equal) gear than I have EVER shot a wedding with....mwink.gif

The gear will hardly be a limiting factor.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Shayebryd wrote:
    The wedding is taking place in a countryclub type setting...
    Oh, and did I mention...she is not hiring a professional
    Is there any particular reason for this? It doesn't appear to be a zero-budget wedding if done in a country club type setting. My personal opinion is the bride doesn't value photography (which is evident, given what she is paying for it). So just do your best and don't sweat the results.

What I really fear though is the bride really does have expectations, even if not voicing them to you.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    Thank you Candid Arts and jeffreaux2, excellent insightful information....simply awesome.......thank you both so much..............truly!
    I have made note of everything you have suggested :)
    I am off to read your link on lighting.......
    And Jeff.......you're cute....

Quote:

Ill pray.....but really....she knows you aren't a pro....its a small...less formal affair......so.... .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you.....gonna need all the help I can get....!!
    Again, thank you both!!!smile6
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Get a couple 8GB memory cards and...

Going to disagree with this part. I recommend using 1 & 2 gb cards. Yes I know it requires a lot of them and a lot of people will disagree with me in this but my reasoning is if something happens to a card (damaged, lost, just goes bad) and it happens, believe me it happens, you want to minimize the loss. An overly exaggurated example - with the xti you could probably shoot the enitre ceremony with one 8 gb card. If something happened to that card you would also loose the entire ceremony. With a wedding there are no do-overs so I always choose on the side of caution. And as others have stated there is no such thing as to much memory, NEVER EVER re-use a card.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    Shayebryd wrote:
    And Jeff.......you're cute....

eek7.gif

Who......me?

For the record...I'm going to go ahead and give you my vote for "Wedding Photograpoher of the Year".
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Jeff_Milo wrote:
    Going to disagree with this part. I recommend using 1 & 2 gb cards. Yes I know it requires a lot of them and a lot of people will disagree with me in this but my reasoning is if something happens to a card (damaged, lost, just goes bad) and it happens, believe me it happens, you want to minimize the loss. An overly exaggurated example - with the xti you could probably shoot the enitre ceremony with one 8 gb card. If something happened to that card you would also loose the entire ceremony. With a wedding there are no do-overs so I always choose on the side of caution. And as others have stated there is no such thing as to much memory, NEVER EVER re-use a card.

The likelihood of losing or misplacing a card is greater than a faulty card. Especially if having to change on the fly when on the move. Although its true that cards can fail, it is much more likely that something will go wrong the more you handle the cards (i.e. drop the card, drop the camera, lose the card, put it in your pocket and forget its there, put it in a main bag and then that bag gets stolen, reuse the same card and erase format everything on it, etc, ....).

You will probably go through more than one 8 GB card easily throughout the day (also if shooting RAW), especially if its your first wedding. Natural fear of "not getting the shot" will make you take the shot about 10 different times. Especially since there are no "do-overs". eek7.gif

As far as the XTI goes for weddings. I really don't have any experience with it. I do have experience with the Nikon D80 (I love it, but not for pro use) and between that and my 2 D700's, the D80 doesn't make it out of the bag now. Colour rendering is just plain better. I recommend renting a front line body such as 5D and one fast zoom 24-70 2.8. You can do just about all with this range (if you don't need to shoot from the back of the church). Use your rebel for backup duty only.
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    I think this is hard to take and give advice on, and I've been there and still am. I have done 2 weddings for friends and will do one in May for not a friend. I noticed that some of your pictures were taken in the Orlando/Tampa and I'm wondering if you live in this area. Having said that, depending on the date of the wedding and so on, I would be willing to help you and your friend out. I could use some extra pictures in my portfolio. That way we can work together and maybe get the best images for the bride under the circumstances. It's hard to start shooting weddings, but you have to start from somewhere. I've noticed too that photographers are harder on pictures than the clients. As long as they know what they are getting into and understand what they could have and will have I say to go for it! Also, don't forget a contract!!!deal.gif
  • Options
    bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    kyeezie wrote:
    I think this is hard to take and give advice on, and I've been there and still am. I have done 2 weddings for friends and will do one in May for not a friend. I noticed that some of your pictures were taken in the Orlando/Tampa and I'm wondering if you live in this area. Having said that, depending on the date of the wedding and so on, I would be willing to help you and your friend out. I could use some extra pictures in my portfolio. That way we can work together and maybe get the best images for the bride under the circumstances. It's hard to start shooting weddings, but you have to start from somewhere. I've noticed too that photographers are harder on pictures than the clients. As long as they know what they are getting into and understand what they could have and will have I say to go for it! Also, don't forget a contract!!!deal.gif

Now that's a GOOD offer.

Most wedding photographers that go back beyond the year 19digital, shot their whole weddings with a simple manual camera body (Yashicamat, Koni Omega, etc) with a fixed 80mm lens and one flash on the camera. While it is easier now with all of the new equipment it still not necessary to show up with 15-20,000 dollars worth of gear. If she has no budget for photos and you want the experience then go for it. Basic wedding protocol is common sense. Stay out of the way and keep your eyes open. You may not be in the right place to get every shot but your not going into this as a professional photographer, just a friend doing someone a favor. Shoot it for what it is, a new and fun experience. Try to be there for the rehersal if there is one. It's your best opportunity to see how things are going to run and ask questions. IMPORTANT, check with the officiant for photos during the ceremony and ask if you can return after the service to take some formal shots. Invite the officient back for a photo also. It's good practice to make as many allies as possible along the way. If you are told no flash photos during the service it means just that, no flash photos, even though your going to be a bit upset at all of the aunts and uncles that don't think this refers to them. Good Luck.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    As far as the XTI goes for weddings. I really don't have any experience with it. I do have experience with the Nikon D80 (I love it, but not for pro use) and between that and my 2 D700's, the D80 doesn't make it out of the bag now. Colour rendering is just plain better. I recommend renting a front line body such as 5D and one fast zoom 24-70 2.8. You can do just about all with this range (if you don't need to shoot from the back of the church). Use your rebel for backup duty only.

The XTi will do fine. It's only drawback is noise levels at higher ISO's. ISO800 is perfectly acceptable. ISO1600 will require extra special attention in post processing. Teamed with the 17-55 F2.8IS it will cover the same focal length...more or less...as a 5D with the 24-70(which doesn't have stabilization). ALL of the photos currently on my website were shot with an XTi. It is a capable camera.

I highly recommend AGAINST using a camera....regardless of cost...that you are unfamiliar with. The menus and other controls on a 5D or 50D will be vastly different than those on the XTi. You would need to spend a good amount of time with the owners manual and camera before trying to tackle something like this with a new camera.....and FWIW....I don't think the results will be better....and may in fact be worse if you choose to rent a high end camera that you are unfamiliar with.

Using a $3500 camera isn't suddenly going to give you wedding photography experience either.

Just my $.02 .....

Stick with what you know and are comfortable using.
  • Options
    Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    Well this certainly is a great thread !! If you are really interested in shooting more weddings in the future, I highly recommend you go for it on this one. Afterall what do you have to lose ? The expectations are low and there is nothing like learning on the job. Sooner or later you have to shoot a wedding in order to get better.
    My advice is not gear related at all, as you seem to have good enough equipment to get it done. BUT, a backup camera is a great suggestion.

Weddings are so much more than just photographs, make sure and have lots of fun with the B&G. For me prep work is the key. I know days before where I am shooting and the lighting situation.
    Attend the rehearsal, its a great way to meet all of the key players and more importantly have them meet you.
    Spend time at the church, study the lighting, it will be the worst lighting you have ever faced !! But with prep work you will learn what you can and cant do.
    Dont be afraid to bump the ISO, your main objective is to "GET THE SHOT".
    Who cares if there is a bit of grain..If you have captured the emotion of the ceremony nobody will see the grain.
    Pick your portrait location ahead of time and go there before hand at the sametime of day. So you will know exactly the type of lighting you will have to deal with.
    SWITCH YOUR CELLPHONE TO VIBRATE during the ceremony :)
    Carry a small towel, incase you find yourself sweating alot :)
    Figure out which angle works for your telephoto and then leave the lens there so you can move to that location and switch lenses during the ceremony.
    Practice with your flash, this is a must !!
    Focus on the brides eyes ! If her eyes arent sharp then its an uphill battle.
    Work on a shot list and use it as a reference during that day.
    More memory never hurts. When you think you have enough buy more !
    Keep a lens pen in your pocket at all times ! You dont have time to go back to the bag and look for this.
    Find an angle that works with the bride in focus. Be patient and focus in on her and wait for those special moments, guaranteed it will happen.

Most of all be confident, the prep work will help as you wont have to scramble during that day. With each wedding you do the the slower things become and you start to notice more detail.

At the end of the day it is your job to capture their special day. It means that you have also spent that day with them so remember to have fun and keep things light hearted with them. If they feel comfortable with you, the photos will flourish.

Once you get past the "chaos", shootings weddings are a blast ! Everyone is dressed up and happy....usually :)

Hope this helps and good luck.

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2009
    invest in a book
    I learned a ton from one particular chapter in an awesome book (I own about six WP books: this is the best:) Glen Johnson: Digital wedding Photogrpahy-Capturing Beautiful Memories. If you read the chapter on capturing romance at the magic hour, you should be able to get some keepers if you shoot at the right time of day and apply his advice. A couple to try from him and others: tell one to smell the other's ear. One is laughing while they are very close. Do the almost kiss, coaching them on it. Tell them to ignore you and whisper a secret in the others ear. Tell them to hug like it's the last time they'll ever see each other. Read up on posing, and shoot down if possible. Find a balcony or deck, put them below you, and tell them to dance. Have him dip her and kiss her. If they spent money on it, photograph it. Put the rings in a flower, and take a lot of other detail shots.

I also recommend that you hand that Lumix to a friend with a good eye and have them back up your shots. Stay about twenty feet in front of the bride and walk backwards as she comes down the aisle. Have your lumix-holding friend shoot from the back of the venue as she goes down the aisle, getting the back of her gown and the face of the groom in one shot (not hard if they fire four or five shots, he'll show up in one.)
    If you miss the ringing, reenact it close up later. Ditto with the kiss.

People will get in your way if you don't act like YOU are the photographer. So don't be intimidated by people with 50 D's. I know you think you will be the only photog there, but these days, there are at least a dozen serious amateurs at every wedding I'm at, and some have more equipment than me! So gently step right in front of them when you need to, and apologize sweetly later.

If CS3 and lightroom are overwhelming, use Picasa to batch edit the RAW files, crop and do B & W conversions till you learn. Do not show unedited work. It will make you look bad. And do NOT pay a dime to have prints made for anyone but you and your own portfolio. I would have them sign some type of agreement before the wedding based on photogs. contracts you can find online, and include the statement that you own the rights to the files forever, and may use them however you wish.(Portfolio, contests, etc). Do this Before the wedding, it may save many headaches later to have a clear statement of what you are providing and at what cost(?). Set your print or digital prices to reimburse at least what you had to spend on equipment and Glen Johnson's book, transportation fees, etc. And make sure you are paid in advance for albums or prints you order for them. All things I learned the hard way!

And have fun! Best wishes to you!

http://godburnphotos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    eek7.gif

Who......me?

For the record...I'm going to go ahead and give you my vote for "Wedding Photograpoher of the Year".

:) toooooooooooo funny!!!!wings.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    kyeezie wrote:

The wedding is located about 50 miles north of you.....that might be more then you care to travel......however, thank you..........what an incredibly generous offer.....that is most gracious of you :)
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2009
    Thank you....everyone for all your input...for your time and help...such great advice......you have all made me feel so much better....at least now I have a bit of direction......very very helpful!!!! :)
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    Here's a couple of suggestions on how I would do it given your level of expertise.

Set the camera to program...or auto...usa a Gary Fong Cloud Light Sphere...bounce flash when possible...take the top out to do this...and always look at your histogram to see if you got the light right...should be a hump in the middle, ideally not touching either side...in most instances. For sure shoot RAW. You can save a lot of shots in LR or with Photoshop, if you do. And, when post processing don't be afraid to do black and whites if you over expose...or try some sepia processing...these processes can sometimes and often do, save a bad color image...it's a trick of the trade...colors or light not right...then this ones a Black and White.

Do take advantage of natural light...and there should be plenty at that time of day...indoors have the bride and groom stand by a large widow...where the light is reflected...rather than direct...take a couple of pictures...see what happens...it's easy...looks good in BW and in color if you hit it right. This is something that you can try at home before you go...just to see how it works...so you will be familiar with the technique. Look at some web images for examples and ideas. Just Google black and white wedding images for some good ideas.

You will want to leave enough room for cropping your shots. If you push in too tight and your friend wants a variety of images sizes from that shot, then you will have to crop the image to get the right ratio...5X7's do not up-size to 8X10's...ratio is diffferent...so it's good to back off a little and leave room for cropping later in post processing. Also, remember that your bride and groom will want to see themselves in the environment. If you take only close ups...you might as well have shot them at home...so remember to include some of the background. I know this seems trivial, but I've seen weddings where you couldn't tell where the pictures were taken. This doesn't mean that you won't want to take closeups...get both.

Get outdoor shots of the grounds on a good day...maybe when you preview the club, prior to shooting...that way you will have good venue shots in the event that it rains the day of the wedding. Also during the preview...look for some good outdoor locations to take a few pictures of the bride and groom, and the wedding party. Once the formals are over...outdoor shots, etc...have the wedding party, if they look like they are amiable, jump, pose gangster style, bride and groom up front...and wedding party spread out around them...etc. You will want to use fill flash outdoors, so practice that before you shoot the wedding...become familiar with how to manipulate your flashes' power settings so that you can turn it down if you need to. When taking pictures outdoors, you may want to reduce the flash power to keep you images from looking to flashy. And, you may not want to use flash at all if the light is right...but fill flash is a good idea most of the time...keeps you from having those dark faces. I always try to err on the lighter side...saying that it's better to look a little flashy than try to fix raccoon eyes because of shadowing.

I wouldn't get over sophisticated for this wedding...keep it simple...make sure you get good clean shots and everyone will be happy. That's all they expect.

Good luck...let us know how it comes out. And hopefully, your friend will like your shots...and if they are focused, properly exposed, and you have enough images of the right people and the right circumstances, they will.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2009
    Thank you, Ed, more fantastic information!
    Thank you sooooooooooo much!!!! :)
    Have a great weekend!!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2009
    Shayebryd wrote:
    The wedding is located about 50 miles north of you.....that might be more then you care to travel......however, thank you..........what an incredibly generous offer.....that is most gracious of you :)

Tell her the location!

I know there are several Dgrinners.....experienced ones.....not too far from that area. If your lucky......it wont be too far for someone to help you out!. 50 miles is nothing for someone who is "portfolio building"!
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2009
    Shayebryd wrote:
    :) toooooooooooo funny!!!!wings.gif

What's cool about that thumbnail image is that the bald spot(s) are really really small.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    What's cool about that thumbnail image is that the bald spot(s) are really really small.
    Which begs the question, "Compared to what? Real life?" :lol :lol4
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Tell her the location!

I know there are several Dgrinners.....experienced ones.....not too far from that area. If your lucky......it wont be too far for someone to help you out!. 50 miles is nothing for someone who is "portfolio building"!

Good call!
    The event is being held in Tarpon Springs on May 17th, Sunday @ 2:30 pm. mwink.gif
  • Options
    kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    thumb.gif If you do want a second person, I am willing. I live in Palm Harbor which is a few mins south of Tarpon Springs. I am also available that day. You and the bride think about it. An extra person could go a long way!