Options

ballhead confusion

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited June 9, 2005 in Accessories
I was looking into getting a ballhead, but I'm a bit concerned that panos would be difficult. Are ballheads with separate panning controls worth the extra $$? And is a spirit level necessary as well?

Comments

• Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I was looking into getting a ballhead, but I'm a bit concerned that panos would be difficult. Are ballheads with separate panning controls worth the extra $$? And is a spirit level necessary as well?
    Woth the extra $$ is pretty subjective I guess. I have the Acratech Ultimate ballhead ($270) with an RRS B2 LLR clamp with spirit level ($132) and that combo works great for me. Then add another $55 for the RRS camera plate. Not sure how that compares dollar-wise with what you've been looking at?
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    Woth the extra $$ is pretty subjective I guess. I have the Acratech Ultimate ballhead ($270) with an RRS B2 LLR clamp with spirit level ($132) and that combo works great for me. Then add another $55 for the RRS camera plate. Not sure how that compares dollar-wise with what you've been looking at?
    How'd you attach the RRS clamp to the Acratech ballhead?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Yes and yes. But you can buy a level for $40 or so that fits into your flash slot.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    It's a universal screw mounting, either 3/8 or 1/4, I forget. I think RRS also sells a bushing to adapt to whichever the female mount on their clamps isn't. I've been thinking of getting one of the RRS QR lever-clamps and putting it on an AUB. Have other photographic "needs" that are coming first though...
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    I ended up buying a Manfrotto 3021BPRO Tripod with 486RC2 ballhead and RC2 quick release plate. $220 delivered, that was in my price range and seems to be a nice low-end setup. It should work fine for me, although I may add that flash bracket level you mentioned.

I was surprised to find out that if you loosen the ballhead slightly it remains locked but will pan, so that was an unexpected bonus.

The whole thing is pretty heavy, but it attaches nicely to the Mini-Trekker backpack I picked up so it's not too bad.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    Congrats! I got the Acratech ballhead. To pan, you loosen a screw at the base of the ballhead holder and rotate the whole thing. The ballhead itself stays tight.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Congrats! I got the Acratech ballhead. To pan, you loosen a screw at the base of the ballhead holder and rotate the whole thing. The ballhead itself stays tight.
    The Acratech is a beautiful looking piece of equipment. nod.gif Costs more than my whole setup combined, but I bet it's worth it!

I think I'm done buying for now, except for a long lens. :uhoh And maybe a flash. And some filters... lol3.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 20, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:

I think I'm done buying for now, except for a long lens. :uhoh And maybe a flash. And some filters... lol3.gif
    i've got an old kitchen sink.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    The Acratech is a beautiful looking piece of equipment. nod.gif Costs more than my whole setup combined, but I bet it's worth it!

lol3.gif It never stops, does it?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    i've got an old kitchen sink.
    You're the one who started me down the slippery slope! I'm not complaining, this stuff is fun. Just takes some creative financing and critical decision making. Like settling for the $40 ballhead instead of the $270 one. :cry

I started a spreadsheet of photo expenses since I went dSLR, I'm only up to $1500 which isn't too bad. But the 70-200mm f2.8 IS I'm thinking of is $1700 all by itself. :D

You got it Sid, it never stops. But it won't ever stop being fun either, so it's all good.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 20, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    It is a nice rig thumb.gif

My RRS ball head arrived last week and I must say, that's the cat's meow, the
    bee's knees, damn nice. And the L bracket is hardly noticable on the camera.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    It is a nice rig thumb.gif

My RRS ball head arrived last week and I must say, that's the cat's meow, the
    bee's knees, damn nice. And the L bracket is hardly noticable on the camera.

Ian
    Ah, great combo. I'm averting my eyes from the RRS ballhead.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Ah, great combo. I'm averting my eyes from the RRS ballhead.
    What's really cool is that if push came to shove, I could use it with the
    500. Not that you'd want to but you could :^
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 20, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    What's really cool is that if push came to shove, I could use it with the
    500. Not that you'd want to but you could :^
    Better to use a Sidekick and the RRS head tho, isn't it, Ian, for the long glass??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Better to use a Sidekick and the RRS head tho, isn't it, Ian, for the long glass??
    It would be. Yes indeed.

Ian
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Why do you specifiy the RRS ballhead?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Why do you specifiy the RRS ballhead?

Because I like it better than my Arca-Swiss head. It is easier to adjust the slack,stiction of the ballhead, it is shorter in total height than an Arca-Swiss head, it looks cool, and the pan lock works very nice too. It also has two slots to drop the ball for a vertical clamp arrangement, which is what is needed to seat a Sidekick into also. As opposed to most ball heads only having one slot to drop the head into for a vertical clamping situation.

It is VERY strong too - as strong as my LARGE Arca-Swiss head I suspect.

The stress on a Sidekick when it is used with a >500mm lens is quite large. 10 or 15 pounds suspended in air by a curved Aluminum metal shaft. The stress is transmitted to the clamp and shaft of the ball head in whatever BH clamp you chose to use. But a Sidekick is much easier and lighter than a formal Wimberly head.

http://tripodhead.com/products/sidekick-main.cfm

http://tripodhead.com/products/wimberley-main.cfm

• Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    Ah, OK, thanks. I reckon the Acratech will do as well, tho those RRS heads sure do look sweet.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Ah, OK, thanks. I reckon the Acratech will do as well, tho those RRS heads sure do look sweet.
    The Acratech is a good head. But while you're sitting in front of the tube,
    put the camera on and work the head. You'll find there are occassions that
    you'll jam yourself (won't be able to move the camera the direction you want;
    not literally jammed). Once you get the hang of it, it's all good.

What I don't like about the Acratech is that it doesn't seem to do well with
    heavy stuff--and I know it's rated for 15 pounds or so.

Ian

P.S. The RRS is a damn fine head too thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

I do too, Sid. I bought the Acratech head for Kathy on her tripod, and I envy her it sometimes as it is light and compact and easy to carry.

Like Ian says, though, for long, heavy glass, I don't think it will match an Arca-Swiss or a RRS BH. But for a 20D, and a 10-22, MEOW for the Acratech head. Lots less moola for it too. thumb.gif

All are quality tools - just depends on what your specific tool needs are.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    The Acratech is a good head. But while you're sitting in front of the tube,
    put the camera on and work the head. You'll find there are occassions that
    you'll jam yourself (won't be able to move the camera the direction you want;
    not literally jammed). Once you get the hang of it, it's all good.

What I don't like about the Acratech is that it doesn't seem to do well with
    heavy stuff--and I know it's rated for 15 pounds or so.

Ian

P.S. The RRS is a damn fine head too thumb.gif

The heaviest I own is the 300 f2.8 IS, haven't tried it on the tripod yet. Pretty sure everything will be dandy. I have no idea what a heavier lens would be like.

I've learned how to maneuver the Acratech so I don't get jammed - just a quick unscrew of the pano head, rotate, tighten. I agree it's not as free as the RRS.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    grips on a monopod?

I noticed some were ordering, after Yosemite, for monopods. I would have sure liked all the help possible the other day. And a level, would have loved a level, think the grip has it.

Etc, wanted to go vertical, note my shots, I did go vertical, but it was a Royal Pain, if the birds had not been stuck in nests it would have been a no go.

I do like my monopod. I do attach my 20D's most used lens, the 300 Prime, with extenders stacked, onto the monopod. Has worked fine. A 120.00 Monfrotto. I attach the lens, not the camera, with that lens.

But monopod people who bought grips, please weigh in, please.......I will buy now or never! Andy did not think I would get much use out of it, it is 100.00 and a bit, so it is a decision.

If you use a monopod "in the field", please weigh in. with your experience.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Hi Sid, sorry about not getting back to you sooner. The RRS website had the info for which clamp to order to fit the Acratech and they do mate up quite nicely. I do like the quick-release and the built in level of the clamp.
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    Hi Sid, sorry about not getting back to you sooner. The RRS website had the info for which clamp to order to fit the Acratech and they do mate up quite nicely. I do like the quick-release and the built in level of the clamp.
    Thanks Jack. Do you have to unscrew the original Acratech clamp, or does the RRS slot into the existing clamp?
    Sid.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks Jack. Do you have to unscrew the original Acratech clamp, or does the RRS slot into the existing clamp?

My best guess is it fits right in after taking a look at one. It could be deeper, but I think those plates are all of similar depth.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    My best guess is it fits right in after taking a look at one. It could be deeper, but I think those plates are all of similar depth.
    By that, do you mean it slots into the existing clamp, so that there are two on the ballhead? Or that one must unbolt the original clamp and replace it it with the RRS clamp?

In looking at the clamp that's on the Acratech ballhead now, it looks like I could remove it with an Allen wrench. I think. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    By that, do you mean it slots into the existing clamp, so that there are two on the ballhead? Or that one must unbolt the original clamp and replace it it with the RRS clamp?

In looking at the clamp that's on the Acratech ballhead now, it looks like I could remove it with an Allen wrench. I think. ne_nau.gif

Leave the Acratech as in, put new RSS bracket on camera, should be good to go. nod.gif
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Leave the Acratech as in, put new RSS bracket on camera, should be good to go. nod.gif
    Yeah, but I was talking about the quick release RRS clamps with a level.

B2LR2_both.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah, but I was talking about the quick release RRS clamps with a level.

B2LR2_both.jpg

Why would you put that on you Acratech head? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

Sid, I think when you buy the Acratech ball head you get a choice of what type clamp you prefer. I just looked at Kathy's Acratech clamp and it is bolted onto the ball head with an Allen bolt, It is a typical Arca-Swiss type screw closed clamp.
    RRS makes clamps with an integral bubble level so you don't need to use one in the flash mount on your camera. The only problem with bubble levels in the clamp is that they can be obscured by a large camera once it is in the clamp. You may need to remove the camera from the head to see the bubble if you need to relevel - a bubble level in the flash mount is always easily visible.

The clamp I prefer from RRS is the pano clamp http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/pano/index.html

This works very nice mounted in a standard Arca-Swiss clamp - it incorporates a nice pan movement and a bubble. If you add the linear clamp with a bubble it is very easy to slide the camera+lens posterior until the camera+lens pivots about the nodal point of the lens.