Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #23: Saturated or Parched

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited April 21, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #23

Welcome to Round #23 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, April 6, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5) to Monday, April 20, 08:00am, EST time (GMT -5).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Saturated or Parched

Words with many interpretations, from literal to evocative to stylistic. Whichever you choose, try to capture the essence of their meaning; look for extremes. Don't leave your audience guessing on what your image is portraying. Anything and everything else is game.

Your Judges:
sherstone (Winner of DSS Round #20)
darkdragon (Guest Judge)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a Smugmug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your exif will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications.

Comments

• Options
    DrinDrin Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2009
    Sounds like a fun idea. I'm sure they'll be some amazing entries. :ivar
    Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    It is nearly 9pm EST, and I'm still working. I'd rather be shooting.

Cheer me up by telling me you're shooting, or planning, or even remotely thinking about cool photographic things. I need a break! :cavig
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    It is nearly 9pm EST, and I'm still working. I'd rather be shooting.

Cheer me up by telling me you're shooting, or planning, or even remotely thinking about cool photographic things. I need a break! :cavig

okey dokey, I went out and shot 235 pictures at the Wildlife Refuge I volunteer at, saw 2 new birds, a Swainson's Hawk and 2 Black Necked Stilts... and entered my DSS #23 entry. (It was a good day here, cool air, low winds for a change and blue pretty skies = lots of neat wildlife!)
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    okey dokey, I went out and shot 235 pictures at the Wildlife Refuge I volunteer at, saw 2 new birds, a Swainson's Hawk and 2 Black Necked Stilts... and entered my DSS #23 entry. (It was a good day here, cool air, low winds for a change and blue pretty skies = lots of neat wildlife!)

Wow, sounds very productive! It's days like that that make me miss Texas, just a li'l. :D
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Wow, sounds very productive! It's days like that that make me miss Texas, just a li'l. :D
    ...and in a couple of months when I am "parched" from the 100+ heat, you can laugh. :D
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    Saturated
    I live on a small farm on the banks of the Kennebecasis River in New Brunswick, Canada. The snow up-river is melting and the 3-acre pasture beside the river is under 4' of water. I think at LEAST 3 fence posts have floated down to the Bay of Fundy or beyond.

I'm working on some documentary-style photos of this annual thrill. rolleyes1.gif Maybe they'll work for the competition.

The up-side is that due to our location, the silt deposited by the annual flood makes for a lovely, rich pasture and fills the ponds with fish.

Of course, my horse (who normally lives in that pasture) is staying with friends at a higher and drier location.ne_nau.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    Snowgirl wrote:
    The snow up-river is melting and the 3-acre pasture beside the river is under 4' of water. I think at LEAST 3 fence posts have floated down to the Bay of Fundy or beyond.

eek7.gif Wow. I hope that if you don't use any of the images for the challenge you will post them to one of DGrin's other forums for us to see.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    eek7.gif Wow. I hope that if you don't use any of the images for the challenge you will post them to one of DGrin's other forums for us to see.

For sure. I put them in the Landscape section entitled "Flood in the Pasture"

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1084417#post1084417

If anyone wants to see the mess from last year (sigh) check out this album...
    http://imagesbyceci.smugmug.com/gallery/4369393_cZbj3/1/256531227_5KrGN
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2009
    I'm going to spend some time on this this weekend. Probably going for the saturated-end of the scale. I have one idea that might work for parched but it's likely going to take a couple of days to stage.
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2009
    Hmmm well, I shot a 6 day old baby 2 days ago and she saturated my prop and back drop but you can't see the saturation lol. Would it still count as a valid entry haha.
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    edited April 15, 2009
    Your friendly reminder (hint, hint) to make sure you've read all the rules, folks (especially the portions marked must read). deal.gif I hate DQ'ing entries. :cry
  • Options
    AirThomAirThom Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Your friendly reminder (hint, hint) to make sure you've read all the rules, folks (especially the portions marked must read). deal.gif I hate DQ'ing entries. :cry

My first time entering, I hope I understood and applied the rules properly. :D
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2009
    AirThom wrote:
    My first time entering, I hope I understood and applied the rules properly. :D

Feel free to ask questions here if you find anything confusing or unclear. Welcome to the challenges! :D
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 16, 2009
    Mods...would you please remove my first image HERE. I have my new image on the second page. Thanks.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Mods...would you please remove my first image HERE. I have my new image on the second page. Thanks.thumb.gif

You're all set. thumb.gif
  • Options
    AnnAnnAnnAnn Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 17, 2009
    saturated but a month earlier
    Thanks to this challenge's subject, I altered an image I took mid-March.

I realize I can't enter it in challenge, but - for now and future reference, - is there somewhere, related to challenge, to post link to image, or thumbnail of such an image? (It's lonely in its own smugmug gallery now.) smiles - Ann
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2009
    AnnAnn wrote:
    Thanks to this challenge's subject, I altered an image I took mid-March.

I realize I can't enter it in challenge, but - for now and future reference, - is there somewhere, related to challenge, to post link to image, or thumbnail of such an image? (It's lonely in its own smugmug gallery now.) smiles - Ann

win a mini-challenge and you can choose a theme to revolve around your image..... or just share somewhere on dgrin...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    Mods, Please remove my first entry. It is the very first photo in the gallery.
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    AnnAnn wrote:
    - is there somewhere, related to challenge, to post link to image, or thumbnail of such an image? (It's lonely in its own smugmug gallery now.) smiles - Ann

I highly recommend taking advantage of the rest of DGrin. :D Post your image in the relevant forum, then you can drop a link here if you like to the other thread. This way you get feedback from more than just our li'l circle here. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    Mods, Please remove my first entry. It is the very first photo in the gallery.
    Thanks!!

You got it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    AnnAnnAnnAnn Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 18, 2009
    challenging
    Thank you, AaronNelson and Llywellyn, for your answers. Very new to dgrin, I have lots to learn. Happened to initially land on a challenge thread, but I do to get out more :D smiles - Ann
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Aaarrrghhh.... unless inspiration strikes today, I think I'm gonna have to sit this one out - first one I'll have missed since I started doing these back in September!!

I've been so busy with other photographic stuff that I haven't had time to tinker with a challenge entry like I normally do. I may find the right location today (we'll see) but if not... good luck to everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    Another one to delete
    Please remove this macaw photo as I've uploaded a different photo for the challenge:

http://challenges.smugmug.com/gallery/7821877_VUfQz#512873618_6bGDR

Thanks in advance! :D
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Please remove this macaw photo as I've uploaded a different photo for the challenge:

http://challenges.smugmug.com/gallery/7821877_VUfQz#512873618_6bGDR

Thanks in advance! :D

While you're there deleting Ron's, please delete my first as well...

http://challenges.smugmug.com/gallery/7821877_VUfQz#P-1-15

A last minute bit of insecurity led me to re-crop it! rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2009
    Thanks, you two. thumb.gif

This round has ended! Stay tuned for results. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2009
    Four DQ's this round. :cry

Viffer06 and hanyok: Photos must be taken within the challenge date range, which began April 6 at 8:00 a.m. EST.

1911-Photography: You don't appear to be a registered member of DGrin. ne_nau.gif

And one photo with no username or title: 516028436_c2n6F-Th.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Four DQ's this round. :cry

Viffer06 and hanyok: Photos must be taken within the challenge date range, which began April 6 at 8:00 a.m. EST.

1911-Photography: You don't appear to be a registered member of DGrin. ne_nau.gif

And one photo with no username or title: 516028436_c2n6F-Th.jpg

Weird - that "no name" is mine and the file has a name attached, using the prescribed format. Oh well - next time. I obviously screwed something up in the upload process.
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2009
    Snowgirl wrote:
    Weird - that "no name" is mine and the file has a name attached, using the prescribed format. Oh well - next time. I obviously screwed something up in the upload process.

Well, darn it. Definitely next time. thumb.gif The "username - title" needs to be in the caption, right below your photo (look at the rest of the entry gallery for examples). If you forget to add it when uploading, you can log back in as "challenges" and edit your photo caption to display the correct format.
  • Options
    GirGir Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    where's Nasa?
    Why'd the NASA photo get disqualified? I liked that one.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2009
    Gir wrote:
    Why'd the NASA photo get disqualified? I liked that one.ne_nau.gif

Look a couple posts up. mwink.gif It was taken back in March.