Options

Is the Canon 60D Coming soon?

madhokriteshmadhokritesh Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited August 20, 2009 in Cameras
Hi, i want to upgrade from my 40D and had read somewhere on the internet that the 60D with 18Megapix and HD Video and 12 FPS is soon going to be launched soon, can someone here confirm about the same or are they just rumors and i should get the 50D or should i get the 5D MKII? am all confused. Also is camera equipment cheaper in Bangkok/Thailand? So many questions, LOL.

Ritesh Madhok
INDIA

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    I hear the 60D is going to be really a challenger to medium format with 900 mp at 40 FPS. It has 100 AF points and a coffee maker inside! rolleyes1.gif

But in all seriousness, your 40D should be doing everything you would want from a camera, the eventual 60D will only incremental upgrades to it. Buy lenses!
    As for Camera equipment being cheaper in Thailand... I don't know.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited April 25, 2009
    Hi, i want to upgrade from my 40D and had read somewhere on the internet that the 60D with 18Megapix and HD Video and 12 FPS is soon going to be launched soon, can someone here confirm about the same or are they just rumors and i should get the 50D or should i get the 5D MKII? am all confused. Also is camera equipment cheaper in Bangkok/Thailand? So many questions, Laughing.gif.

Ritesh Madhok
    INDIA

Ritesh Madhok, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Canon has been pretty good about releasing a new xxD camera every 18 months or so. The 50D was announced Aug 08 so I would expect that the next new camera in that line would be announced not earlier than 4th quarter of this year.

As for the specifications:

18 MPix is possible but Canon has also been known to "hold" the megapixels so 15 MPix is also likely.

HD video is very possible. It seems that HD video is a popular still camera marketing ploy so why not. As to which version of HD, who knows?

12 fps, not likely. The 1D MKIII is "only" 10 fps so I doubt that Canon would risk a lower tier camera with more fps. I suspect that 8 fps is more likely (up from 6 fps of the 50D).

The Canon 5D MKII is here and now. If you need the features of that camera it is truly splendid in image quality. Not perfect, I do wish that it had the better AF mechanism of the 1D/1Ds series cameras, but very good at what it was designed for. Do realize that it takes very good lenses to realize the full potential of the camera and the EF-S lenses wil not fit.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2009
    Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and the replies, my relative is going to Thailand in May so am confused in choosing between the EOS50D and the Eos 5D MK II, am getting the 24-105L F4 lens for sure but cant decide on the body.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 25, 2009
    It has 100 AF points and a coffee maker inside!

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2009
    Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and the replies, my relative is going to Thailand in May so am confused in choosing between the EOS50D and the Eos 5D MK II, am getting the 24-105L F4 lens for sure but cant decide on the body.

The "character" of those 2 cameras is quite a bit different from each other. What is it you want to do in photography?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Coffee maker sounds like a good option
    What about a cellphone? :D
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2009
    Coffee maker sounds like a good option

If it makes the coffee, I'm in.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2009
    5d II Or 50D
    Well basically i am a amateur take pics of my daughter and her functions at her school and a bit of other amateur stuff.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2009
    Well basically i am a amateur take pics of my daughter and her functions at her school and a bit of other amateur stuff.

Do you find your 40d lacking in some way? Unless there's something specific that the 50d/5d offer, I'd have thought the money would be much better spent on glass, since the 40d is an extremely capable prosumer camera.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2009

Lighting is usually poor at indoor school functions. The 5D MKII is much better at high-ISO than the 50D. They both have similar AF sections and both benefit from an AF assist from an appropriate flash (or ST-E2).
    ziggy53
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Lighting is usually poor at indoor school functions. The 5D MKII is much better at high-ISO than the 50D. They both have similar AF sections and both benefit from an AF assist from an appropriate flash (or ST-E2).

One of the reasons I upgraded from a 30D to the 5D MK II was for the ISO capabilities. I take a lot of school photos and the lighting can be very challenging.

I'm hoping to be able to shoot at 1600 or 3200 in the next event in two weeks so I'm really interested in seeing the results.

My only issue I have with the 5D MK II is the size of the images. Before you all jump down my throat about S1 and S2 RAW let me explain.

Whenever I try switching to S1 or S2 mode I always end up having a very strange feeling that I may be missing something if I'm not shooting in Full RAW. Yes, I know I'm weird, but I just can't shake this feeling whenever I go to change to a smaller size when I'm shooting outings with friends and school events.

Anyone know a good photography shrink who can handle SIC ("size inferiority complex") patients:D
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2009
    pemmett wrote:
    Anyone know a good photography shrink who can handle SIC ("size inferiority complex") patients:D

No, but judging from the bandage on your head and the expression on your face I thought an expert had already solved that, and many other problems for you!:Dclap.gifhuhrolleyes1.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    ThetolleymanThetolleyman Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    ISO issues
    I too moved from a 30D to a 50D hoping for decent photos at high ISO (1600 or above). I love my 50D, but I have to say that most photos taken above 1600 ISO are very noisy if cropped much or printed larger than 8 x 10. Good noise reduction software helps alot though.
  • Options
    HamSmugglerHamSmuggler Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    I don't think 8fps is feasible in the 60D - that would cut into the sports sales of the 1D series a bit too much IMO.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009
    Yes, the 60D is coming out very soon.

I predict it will be released one week after you purchase a 50D.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2009
    Someone please tell me more about the 24-105 F4 L lens.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2009

Read this.:D
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2009

Hijacking your own thread? :D

Review:

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/188-canon-ef-24-105mm-f4-usm-l-is-lab-test-report--review

On a Canon crop 1.6x camera it is a moderate wide to tele zoom with very good quality, a usable IS and moderate aperture. Image quality is very much Canon "L" with the exception that barrel distortion is fairly high at widest focal length, CA is rather high at 24mm and wide open and it's a little softer at 105mm and wide open than I would like. Total package value is still very high. (The sum being greater than the parts.)

One of the most popular "L" lenses ever partly due to being a "kit" lens option on several Canon cameras.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Personally, I cant see any compelling reason to upgrade from the 40d to the 50d. The 5dII is a different matter of course. But the 50d doesn't really seem to be any better than the 40d except for having more pixels.

Lens wise. I would highly recommend the 17-55 2.8 as it is much better suited to this camera than the L lenses.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2009
    studio1972 wrote:
    Personally, I cant see any compelling reason to upgrade from the 40d to the 50d. The 5dII is a different matter of course. But the 50d doesn't really seem to be any better than the 40d except for having more pixels.

Lens wise. I would highly recommend the 17-55 2.8 as it is much better suited to this camera than the L lenses.

Studio1972, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

It's true that the Canon 40D is still a very competent camera and I am very happy with mine. The 50D can supply more detail at low ISO because of the increased pixel count and that might make it worth the upgrade.

One curse of "Bayer" technology is that the true luminosity of each pixel has to be guessed during demosaicing and color interpolation. Having more samples to work from (more pixels) is a very sure way of improving the overall detail accuracy.

Fortunately, the extra pixels in the 50D are not that much of a hinderence at high ISO and a print from either the 40D or the 50D through an 8" x 10" size will look very similar from either.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2009
    Hi, i want to upgrade from my 40D and had read somewhere on the internet that the 60D with 18Megapix and HD Video and 12 FPS is soon going to be launched soon, can someone here confirm about the same or are they just rumors and i should get the 50D or should i get the 5D MKII? am all confused. Also is camera equipment cheaper in Bangkok/Thailand? So many questions, Laughing.gif.

Ritesh Madhok
    INDIA

Regarding the price in Thailand, I believe that it may be more expansive than Hong Kong and Singapore and far more expensive than internet order in US (before local tax). The model available there was a bit limited and new model usually took a few month before it hit the Bangkok market. Duty free in airport looks attractive but limited models.

Many of my Thai friends asked me to buy and bring for them due to the high tax issue.

I, used to order from NY, and pick it up from the hotel when I had business trip to US. It helps me to save 15 to 25%.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 16, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Ziggy, hows the 50D focus for action? I have a 5D MKII that I love but I can't shoot action with it.

I had a 1D MKIII but after several unsuccessful trips to Canon for focus issues I kinda gave up on it.
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    Ziggy, hows the 50D focus for action? I have a 5D MKII that I love but I can't shoot action with it.

I had a 1D MKIII but after several unsuccessful trips to Canon for focus issues I kinda gave up on it.

Baldy I spent a week shooting gymnastics in less than ideal conditions. Tumbling, and trampoline mostly. My colleagues were using a 1D2N and a D300. All of using a 70-200 f/2.8 of varying flavours. Mine had IS, the 1D2N non-IS and the D300 was nikon obviously.

Using centre point only AI servo focusing the 50D had no troubles keeping up with focus. I am more than willing to say that 90%+ of OOF shots were my fault. This was on par with what the others were shooting. One of them, the 1D2N shooter, had a vast experience advantage over me as well.
    Typical settings for the week were ISO 1600-2000, f/2.8, SS 1/320-500.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    Baldy wrote:

The Canon 1D MKIIN is still viable, but there are quite a few professional sports photographers using the 1D MKIII with good success. (Vincent LaForet used 3 - 1D MKIII cameras, plus 2 - 1Ds MKIII cameras, to cover the 2008 Olympics.)

I suggest trying the 1D MKIII again or choose the previous model.

The 1Ds MKIII has the same AF system as the 1D MKIII but has not displayed any of the problems and, except for the frame rate and card write speeds, is very responsive.

The Nikon D3 and D3x are very competent sports cameras as well with similar AF acquisition speeds and accuracy. Like the best Canon cameras they require the best Nikon sports glass as well for best results.

The Canon 50D is not bad but not designed for sports and would not be my first choice. Low light is especially problematic and the 1D/1Ds series AF is at least 1 stop more sensitive. Then again, I shot American HS football for most of a season with just an XT/350D and I was able to get some decent shots even from it (late daylight conditions). The secret is in developing a method that works.

BTW, Toshido's suggestion to use the center AF point only, along with fast aperture lenses with USM, AI Servo and good technique is valid.

Speaking of technique, remember that AI AServo requires some anticipation in order for the calculations to be accurate. AI Servo activated just a moment before the action, or when the action starts but before acquisition, and then short bursts seemed to work well for me. I also kept the AI Servo active during uncertain times by constantly half-depressing the shutter to re-engage the AI Servo.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    ... there are quite a few professional sports photographers using the 1D MKIII with good success. ...
    My impression is that this body is used by the overwhelming majority of professional sports shooters! nod.gif
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 17, 2009
    My impression is that this body is used by the overwhelming majority of professional sports shooters! nod.gif
    Yes, I used to hear grumbling about them from pros but my understanding is most people are happy now.

On its last trip to Canon, they decided it was the lens so my beloved 70-200 is in their hands as we speak.

I was looking back at shots with the 300 and the focus certainly seemed to nail doggie:

329864618_j3CkA-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    I was looking back at shots with the 300 and the focus certainly seemed to nail doggie
    Doggie got nailed - no doubt about it! deal.gif
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2009
    Baldy,

There are folks that still claim to have problems with their 1D MKIII cameras and Canon is standing behind the product with extended warranty and customer support.

Nonetheless, many sports shooters still use the 1D MKIIN and swear by its AF accuracy.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    austinado16austinado16 Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Newbie here.....but I just started shooting gymnastics with a 40D, and then recently couldn't pass up a deal on the local Craigslist for a 50D. I'm shooting with the Canon 70-200/2.8 nonIS, and I can definately tell a difference in the quality of the image, especially in the noise at the high ISO's I'm shooting.

I'm very happy that I upgraded to the 50D.
    Let's face it; more gear than sense.

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Is the Canon 60D Coming soon?
    It's coming a lot sooner than it was when this thread was started! :D