Yosemite, Reluctantly

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited May 26, 2005 in Landscapes
You know how they say that a good photographer should be their own harshest critic, so that they can weed out their weak shots and learn what a good shot is?

Well, I must be a very good photographer, because I weeded out every single danged shot from Yosemite and SF. I wasn't happy with any of them.

But 4labs someone who shall 4labs remain nameless 4labs has been prodding 4labs me into showing some piccies anyway, doubtless cackling 4labs and rubbing his hands in glee 4labs.

So here we go. I will admit that I finally ended up kinda liking a couple of the Golden Gate Bridge shots. Nikolai and Michiel were my companions, with Nikolai very kindly driving us to the best locations. Little did he know the woes that were to befall his beloved Murano just hours later.

This is from the Marin County west side of the bridge, around 3pm or so.

22477938-L.jpg

And this is from earlier in the day, on the SF east side.

22476685-L.jpg

OK, that's about it for shots that I like. You've already seen a couple of identical versions of this shot, from catone Bill and DavidTO.

22467375-M.jpg

Dunno if you saw the pic Michiel took of me staring into the fog. I was waiting for it to clear a little bit so that I could get a better version of this shot. Still ringing in my ears is the laughter of 4labs and Michiel, who apparently were amused by my dedication to my craft, my professionalism and my commitment to my artistic vision. :flip All for this. Ah well.

22542744-L.jpg

So what's so special about Yosemite? Well, they have rocks. Big ones. When one is there, one photographs these rocks. So here are a couple of rocks.

22546914-M.jpg

My, that's a big rock. So's this one.

22547839-M.jpg

And for a coup de grace, a landscape I shot before Marc showed me what a landscape was. I was quite happy in my ignorance, blissfully producing weak shots. The next morning, shooting with Marc, I got a headache as I realized how much I had to learn. So this is the last crumb of what I like to call my pre-Muench period.

22471097-M.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    So this is the last crumb of what I like to call my pre-Muench period.

lol3.gif self-deprecating humor at it's best. love the fog shots, sid! and the first one of the ggb - whoa that's really nice :D

thanks for sharing your pics and your thoughts on the experience.
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    the fog shot is great and the one obove it thumb.gif if I took your advice i would never post a shot [or type] all nice good shots but thoase are my picks
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    I, the rotten photog, the one who loves all my shots. Kind of like the mom of the ugly baby.

I was all set to shoot down your bridge shots, til I found out you like them, rolleyes1.gif . I am just kidding, I do like the first one, ok. I am not big on bridges. At least yours weren't shot at night with those gorgeous reflections from the bldgs and wonderful sky, etc.

I must say, I do love that fog shot. And I did see, and remember, the shot of you photographing a white out of fog. Kind of wishful thinking shooting. I loved the shot of the hopeful idiots and did wonder what you had gotten.

And I do like it, one of the best I have seen! clap.gif

I remember from the challenges you did that you are particularly hard on your self. Then after a week of agony, at the very end, you would pull out THE winner. And a winner in anyone's eyes.

So, if you had just been there a bit longer: to find your groove, get into your zone, etc................you mighta had something. But I cannot imagine what would have been better than that fog shot, except maybe a photo of a bunch of photographers trying to take a photo of white soup.

gingerthumb.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Sid what are you bellyachin 'bout.. these are great shots! I love the Moses about to come out of the sky shot.. and the fog is wonderful! I like the second bridge shot more than the first. LETS SEE SOME MORE! clap.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    What a take!
    wxwax wrote:
    22467375-M.jpg
    They all good, but this one is to die for..

I also like the foggy one a lot!

GGB from Marin county is also a keeper

Thanks fro sharing, Sid!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Sid, you did good! but keep striving...if these didnt pass muster on first look for you, then i really want to see when your excited with the results. very, very nice work you should be proud of!
  • seaelvenseaelven Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    You know how they say that a good photographer should be their own harshest critic, so that they can weed out their weak shots and learn what a good shot is?

Well, I must be a very good photographer, because I weeded out every single danged shot from Yosemite and SF. I wasn't happy with any of them.

But 4labs someone who shall 4labs remain nameless 4labs has been prodding 4labs me into showing some piccies anyway, doubtless cackling 4labs and rubbing his hands in glee 4labs.

So here we go. I will admit that I finally ended up kinda liking a couple of the Golden Gate Bridge shots. Nikolai and Michiel were my companions, with Nikolai very kindly driving us to the best locations. Little did he know the woes that were to befall his beloved Murano just hours later.

This is from the Marin County west side of the bridge, around 3pm or so.

22477938-S.jpg

And this is from earlier in the day, on the SF east side.

22476685-S.jpg

OK, that's about it for shots that I like. You've already seen a couple of identical versions of this shot, from catone Bill and DavidTO.

22467375-S.jpg

Dunno if you saw the pic Michiel took of me staring into the fog. I was waiting for it to clear a little bit so that I could get a better version of this shot. Still ringing in my ears is the laughter of 4labs and Michiel, who apparently were amused by my dedication to my craft, my professionalism and my commitment to my artistic vision. FLIPA.gif All for this. Ah well.

22542744-S.jpg

So what's so special about Yosemite? Well, they have rocks. Big ones. When one is there, one photographs these rocks. So here are a couple of rocks.

22546914-S.jpg

My, that's a big rock. So's this one.

22547839-S.jpg

And for a coup de grace, a landscape I shot before Marc showed me what a landscape was. I was quite happy in my ignorance, blissfully producing weak shots. The next morning, shooting with Marc, I got a headache as I realized how much I had to learn. So this is the last crumb of what I like to call my pre-Muench period.

22471097-S.jpg
    These are so awesome!
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 20, 2005
    You're a real jerk and all your photos stink.

Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    I will give you the number of a good shrink Sid because you need one. I like all your shots and you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Let us decide which ones suck..
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Nothing wrong with them thar sid ! Im with ginger...(re :the ugly baby syndrome)I love my shots...nearly anything that is in focus.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

FLIPA.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited May 20, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    I will give you the number of a good shrink Sid because you need one. I like all your shots and you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Let us decide which ones suck..
    umph.gif

Think they'd give treatment in exchange for portraits? Of course, the portraits would suck. :lol
    Sid.
    edited May 20, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Sid what are you bellyachin 'bout.. these are great shots! I love the Moses about to come out of the sky shot.. and the fog is wonderful! I like the second bridge shot more than the first. LETS SEE SOME MORE! clap.gif
    You are gonna regret saying that, m'dear. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Dude, these pics rock! ylsuper.gifclap.gifthumb.gif Especially that beam of light shot!!!! thumb.gif

And here I thought I was bad...headscratch.gif

If you think you're bad with your own shots Sid, have you seen Fred's airplane pics? That airplane takes better pics than I do... umph.gifrolleyes1.gifumph.gif !!

Thanks for posting these!

AJ
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 20, 2005
    I especially liked this one:

22542744-S.jpg

Because it reminded me of a Japanese landscape watercolor. Very nice.
    Maybe trim a bit from the top/bottom and squeeze it down just a bit?

Your pre-Muench period was pretty good oh waxedone!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited May 20, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    I especially liked this one:

22542744-S.jpg

Because it reminded me of a Japanese landscape watercolor. Very nice.
    Maybe trim a bit from the top/bottom and squeeze it down just a bit?

Your pre-Muench period was pretty good oh waxedone!

Ian

Thanks mate! I'll try that crop - you wouldn't believe how many ways I've tried cropping the shot.
    Sid.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Your Too Hard On Yourself
    wxwax wrote:

Wxwax your way too hard on yourself........those are great shots you've posted.
    I can grasp the concept of just how big that bridge is because I have been to San Franscisco, and the Fort under the bridge too :D we didn't get to see it smothered in cloud though on the days we were there.

You guys would have had the best time out and about taking photos, I hope I can make it to the next Dgrin Outing for 2006.

Your Yosemite images are beautiful........ hey I get my Canon 24mm 1.4 in the next couple of weeks, I ordered it the other day from B&H in New York, and I know it's already been posted :D whooooohoooooooo!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks for sharing you shots, I wish I'd been here on Dgrin sooner and I could have gone too.........ohhhhh well, hopefully next time :D

Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 20, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol4 :lol4 :lol4 :lol4 biggrinbounce2.gifbiggrinbounce2.gifbiggrinbounce2.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 20, 2005
    Really nice work Sid thumb.gifthumb.gif

So who was it again that was pressuring you into posting these pics? rolleyes1.gif

WTG 4labs thumb.gifthumb.gif

Sid, you have hit on the reason why I have chosen to be a photographic illiterate. The more you know, the worse your own pictures look eek7.gif Hey, my pics are bad enough, I don't need any help making them worse :lol

Having said that, your pics are not bad at all. I really liked your "shaft of light" and "in a fog" shots clap.gifclap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Sid
    Great shots love them all clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Still waiting for the photos you promised of Michiel,Nik and others from the trip:D

Thanks
    Fred
    edited May 20, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    Great shots love them all clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Still waiting for the photos you promised of Michiel,Nik and others from the trip:D

Thanks
    Fred
    Thanks Fred! I posted my Nik and Mick shots in Michiel's thread, once he put my butt on display. Here are the twin terrors.

22474502-M.jpg22473907-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    You know what we say around here sometimes,

Only bad thing about your shots is I didn't takem !! :D
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    I'm a little late, but I really love the fog shot. Excellent stuff!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Beautiful shots Sid,thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

I, for the life of me, don't know what you are complaining about!headscratch.gif Maybe too much time staring at the computer screen has taken you to a weird perspectivene_nau.gif I bet that when you stop looking at them for a while, and then check them again that you will be very happy and impressed. :):

Susan
    edited May 23, 2005
    Thanks Susuan, you've very kind.
    Sid.
    edited May 23, 2005
    OK, so on Saturday mroning we rolled out with the Muench-king. After flapping feebly at the Tunnel View, I followed him to a meadow that faced Yosemite Falls (I think.)

So here's where I started to get a headache and realized how little I knew about shooting landscapes.

Mark picks a spot and sets up his camera, everyone else follows suit. I look around. Surely there's been a mistake? Perhaps we're just checking our gear, before we go to a place where we can take a real picture, right?

Wrong. Soon Mark and ian and catone and davidTO are merrily snapping away. Well, it wouldn't do to stand there haplessly, so I set-up my tripod like I know what I'm doing, slap on the 16-35, hoist the camera onto the ballhead... and nervously peer through the viewfinder. Is there a shot there?

So here's what I thought everyone else was shooting.

22737102-L.jpg

Not so great. And it has the little bit of branch sort of poking into one side of the shot. Sort of there but not there. I notice a lot of us have landscapes with similar branches.

Anyway, nervous but curious, I ask mark to look at the shot and see if this is what he was going for. This, if you're keeping score, is when my head started to hurt. Mark looks through my viewfinder, tilts the camera up, widens all the way out, and transports me into a new way of looking at landscapes.

22744124-L.jpg

(Dang, I messed up the processing, it looks all washed out, I'll fix that tonight.)

Anyway, instead of zooming in to fill the frame, Mark is selecting locations where he can shoot wide and still fill the frame. Well, that's a lot harder! And it's a completely different way of thinking for me, who's used to getting in tight and stuffing things into the shot. That's when I realized how much I was going to have to change the way I thought about a shot, if I wanted to shoot decent landscapes.

By the way, the morning went downhill from there. Mark and the gang then started shooting backlit trees and getting dappled shadows and gleaming leaves. Me? Blown-out shots and massive dark splotches and lots and lots of lens flare. umph.gif

Anyway, I wanted to share with you how Mark changed my perspective on landscapes.
    Sid.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    Ah, but the difference is, you asked for Marc's help. I ended up with shots like your first one, happily, and ignorantly shooting away with branches stuck in the side. You, my friend, were a much better student...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Anyway, I wanted to share with you how Mark changed my perspective on landscapes.
    good stuff, sid! nice to hear about how much everyone is learning.

i think your pic here could benefit from a wb blend in acr - the blue is saturated in the water and the tree branches.... give it a twirl!
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    Hey now,

you never told us you could actually *U*S*E* that camera rolleyes1.gif Great shots man, and I know I can be a real @ss, but I kinda dig the washed out blues in the last one :D even though it's not on purpose...

Your a way better landscape photog than me man, thanks for the lessons here! thumb.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
    edited May 23, 2005
    Hey now,

you never told us you could actually *U*S*E* that camera rolleyes1.gif Great shots man, and I know I can be a real @ss, but I kinda dig the washed out blues in the last one :D even though it's not on purpose...

Your a way better landscape photog than me man, thanks for the lessons here! thumb.gif
    Michiel, you are dead to me, mate. FLIPA.gif At least until you post new shots that make me look young and slender. Add some mucles too, while you're at it.

BTW, I was able to rescue the outdoor shot of you, and the church shot. Neither was as good as I thought. Isn't that always the way? I'll post them in this thread eventually.
    Sid.