Options

Can't get RSS feeds to work with Google Profile

havanesehavanese Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited February 11, 2011 in SmugMug Support
I am trying to attach my smugmug recent photos RSS to my google profile

http://www.google.com/profiles/randypollock

When I provide the link it says that it sees the feed, but when you try and view the profile page it says there is an error with the feed.

518396239_sNq9q-S.jpg

518397309_wG7aG-M.jpg

Anyone using Google have their profile page working with Smug?
Randy P.
Fuji X shooter
Thoughts and Images

Comments

• Options
    Bill CurnowBill Curnow Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    I've tried, but like you I haven't had any success in adding one of my SmugMug feeds to my Google Profile.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    I haven't asked the help desk, maybe one of them could post here about why it doesn't work.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2009
    What is google profile? I use SmugMug feeds in Google reader, no problem...
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    What is google profile? I use SmugMug feeds in Google reader, no problem...

A Google profile is simply how you present yourself on Google products to other Google users. It allows you to control how you appear on Google and tell others a bit more about who you are. With a Google profile, you can easily share your web content on one central location. You can include, for example, links to your blog, online photos, and other profiles such as Facebook, LinkedIn, and more. You have control over what others see. Your profile won't display any private information unless you've explicitly added it.

I use it to let people see all my websites, social networks, pictures (if I can get it to work) and shared google reader articles
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    OK And what rss feed are you using? Paste it here pls thx.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    OK And what rss feed are you using? Paste it here pls thx.

Recent photos:

http://randyandgerri.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=nicknameRecentPhotos&Data=randyandgerri&format=rss200
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    Any idea why that feed isn't work?
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    havanese wrote:
    Any idea why that feed isn't work?
    Yup. It was a bug on our end, fixed internally and on our dev/test servers but not live. We'll have it live within the next week or so I hope.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Yup. It was a bug on our end, fixed internally and on our dev/test servers but not live. We'll have it live within the next week or so I hope.

Thanks.

Thanks Andy, I'll make myself a note to try it again in a week or two and post back the results.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    havanese wrote:
    Thanks Andy, I'll make myself a note to try it again in a week or two and post back the results.
    Or, you could subscribe to our release-notes feed in your favorite feed reader :D
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Or, you could subscribe to our release-notes feed in your favorite feed reader :D

Added to my google reader.. learn something new everyday
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    gleckoglecko Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 23, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Thanks.
    Rockin' thanks Andy - how does one find out when stuff like that is updated? Is there a thread/blog/twitter/facebook update? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2009
    glecko wrote:
    Rockin' thanks Andy - how does one find out when stuff like that is updated? Is there a thread/blog/twitter/facebook update? Thanks!

Just go here and add the RSS feed to your favorite reader

http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    gleckoglecko Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2009
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    Have not seen any updates about this in release notes, has there been an issue that prevented it from coming off the test servers?
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 1, 2009
    havanese wrote:
    Have not seen any updates about this in release notes, has there been an issue that prevented it from coming off the test servers?
    Turns out the bug we fixed wasn't what was preventing Google profiles from reading the feed. We're talking with Google trying to figure it out.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    Thanks for the update. I have gotten positive feedback from my clients and friends when they can see my signature line in emails now using the google profiles as they see all my contact info, social networks, websites, etc...

Once this error gets fixed I can turn it on as well.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2009
    This also works.

The administrator may have enabled RSS syndication, this allows you to view newly created threads in guest viewable forums without visiting the board.
    The feeds are currently provided in two formats, RSS and RSS v2. The differences are as follows: To add this to MyYahoo click here.
    The forums to which this applies can also be limited to specific guest viewable forums by adding another paramater to the URL containing the forumids as follows:
    http://www.dgrin.com/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=123

If you would like the content to be generated for multiple forums you can seperate the forumids by commas.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2009
    fredjclaus wrote:
    This also works.

The administrator ... multiple forums you can seperate the forumids by commas.

I have no idea what this has to do with the question of this post.

RSS feeds for recent pictures does not work in Google Profiles
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    Gave up and added my flickr account to the profile.

(kind of disappointed) ne_nau.gif
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2009
    havanese wrote:

(kind of disappointed) ne_nau.gif
    I'm sorry :( But we're putting our feed out properly, according to our engineers. We'll keep trying!
  • Options
    mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2009
    I'm somewhat inclined to think Google is expecting something a little funny, but I can't say for sure. After all, Smugmug RSS feeds work perfectly fine in Google Reader, but that same RSS feed gets an error from Google Profile. When you put in the feed URL, it says it found a feed, but when you go to the profile page, in the spot where the pictures should show up, it just says "Photo feed error -- please check your photo source URL.", which isn't very helpful.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2009
    mbrady wrote:
    I'm somewhat inclined to think Google is expecting something a little funny, but I can't say for sure. After all, Smugmug RSS feeds work perfectly fine in Google Reader, but that same RSS feed gets an error from Google Profile. When you put in the feed URL, it says it found a feed, but when you go to the profile page, in the spot where the pictures should show up, it just says "Photo feed error -- please check your photo source URL.", which isn't very helpful.

Same issue here, I do have all the RSS feeds working in Google Reader.

Makes you wonder what is different between flickr RSS and SM RSS.

I'm not smart enough about RSS to figure that one out
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    ignore my reply. I was referring to Google Reader. Never heard of Google Profile before.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2009
    Try removing and re-adding your feeds. I remember having heard that this issue is fixed, but to get Google reader to update, you need to remove and resubscribe to it. But then, it might be a different issue.

If that doesn't help, did you give the Atom feeds a try instead of using RSS?

Sebastian
    I have added/removed/replaced the RSS and Atom feeds in Google to no avail. ne_nau.gif

Perhaps merging this thread into this one, too? Same issue...
  • Options
    ComfortComfort Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Photo RSS feed on Google Profiles does not like SM feeds
    Hi guys,

I have a Google Profile (http://www.google.com/profiles/glennbatten) and one of the features is a photo feed from either Picasa, Flickr or a custom solution where you insert your rss feed. No matter which feed I insert google will not read the rss feed and comes up with an error.

Does anybody know a solution or workaround?
  • Options
    dotvickydotvicky Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 25, 2009
    FWIW, I'm also having problems reading the rss feed in Outlook 2007 and as a feed into Livejournal Syndication so I think it *is* something at SmugMug end. :(

Cheers
    Vicky
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2009
    dotvicky wrote:
    FWIW, I'm also having problems reading the rss feed in Outlook 2007 and as a feed into Livejournal Syndication so I think it *is* something at SmugMug end. :(

Cheers
    Vicky
    Handling in your other thread- double posting not necessary.
  • Options
    WyldWyld Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 30, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry :( But we're putting our feed out properly, according to our engineers. We'll keep trying!

Looks like they are grabbing the feed server-side as there's no request from the browser to smugmug (monitoring this via Fiddler)

Even so, could Google be looking for a crossdomain.xml or trying to honor some other permission granting policy (robots.txt, etc.) ?
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Wyld wrote:
    Looks like they are grabbing the feed server-side as there's no request from the browser to smugmug (monitoring this via Fiddler)

Even so, could Google be looking for a crossdomain.xml or trying to honor some other permission granting policy (robots.txt, etc.) ?

Maybe your suggestions can get SM to look at the problem again. I gave up, but would still like to see this corrected so I could use SM on my profile
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images