Options

My first paid wedding! Woohooh! :D

bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
edited June 14, 2009 in Weddings
Alright, so I shot their older daughters wedding for free, and they called me back for the next daughters wedding; only this time they wanted to pay me. Nice. I had just bought my new D700 and was totally jazzed to get in some wedding work with it.

It's all natural light, in a nice backyard setting. White balance correction only.

Here are quite a few of my favorites. C&C VERY welcome. Thanks!

552214287_rNzAQ-XL.jpg

552215034_kpokX-XL.jpg

552208809_hvGq9-XL.jpg

552207259_N7hNG-XL.jpg

552211256_SghaA-XL.jpg

552206101_inZNb-XL.jpg

552215138_aqpxF-X2.jpg

552211487_MRDRz-XL.jpg

552213626_t9B3V-XL.jpg

552204063_ooFNj-XL.jpg

552209876_ZcLES-XL.jpg

552213085_77aG7-XL.jpg

552208652_7wwVs-XL.jpg

552212599_xPpg7-XL.jpg

552211319_oYMuX-XL.jpg

552216030_ZGSi2-XL.jpg

552207628_FqiGE-XL.jpg

552204645_ergox-XL.jpg

552210710_8PjAM-XL.jpg

552208831_RT9fQ-XL.jpg

552216175_qWZFZ-XL.jpg

552207559_zqEAV-XL.jpg

552214126_ahqLp-XL.jpg

552212097_LZunm-XL.jpg

552206307_bkHaW-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Excellent shot! Know they will be pleased with all of them if they turn out as well as these did. Beautiful bride, beautiful setting and beautiful job of capturing their special day.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    You earned your money. Nice shots, you captured some very nice moments.
    A couple could use some fill flash but overall very nice series.
    She is a cutie.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Oh my! Beautiful work! I HOPE they paid you!!! This is no beginner-work!

Just one thing, I'm sure the bridel would appreciate if you would touch up her skin a bit mwink.gif

... and oh my ... what happened to that cake?? Sounds like quite a story .... :Dmwink.gif

Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed looking at this (fresh, colorful, well "lit", fun) set clap.gif
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Very nice series, great for a First wedding. Only suggestion is that she has a few blemishes on her face you may want to clone out, especially in #4 & the two #5's on her chin. If they were birthmarks I would say leave them but these appear to be acne.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    MA-FOTOMA-FOTO Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Nice series ....
    Great job. thumb.gif

Agree on the skin touch up for bride and all party involved (close up shoots)
    Also try a little B&W for the bride getting ready ... helps the mood.

#1 nice capture - like it a lot - nice colors/composition.
    #3 - try in b&w or another preset to minimize frame behind head.
    otherwise nice capture.
    #5 - sweet but add skin touch up.
    #8 winner .....
    #16-#19-#22 all very nice.

thanks for sharing....

Later,
    _Mark
    Drive 50D ~ 24-70 L ~ 85mm ~ 28mm ~ Tammy 17-50 mm ~ Stuff
    ~
  • Options
    Camara Photography, LLCCamara Photography, LLC Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Damn Dude! Nice stuff. I agree with Angie. This is not beginner work. I hope your pricing is reflecting your quality, and not experience!
  • Options
    elizabeth_Lunaelizabeth_Luna Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Do tell about the cake !! rolleyes1.gif and I agree with everyone else some fill flash needed overall LOVE THEM!! great job thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Beautiful work. I can see why they asked you back. You are now a professional wedding photographer!

Caroline
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    :) Wow, thanks so much for the great response and critiques. The story on cake: In transit from the bakery(sister-in-law) the upper layers took a slide and got pretty roughed up. The bride never knew, but it took some doing to make another batch of frosting and do some bodywork on the cake. Very funny ordeal to look back on though!

So I need a flash, is that what I'm hearing? :) I actually have an SB600 on the way, so we'll have to see if that improves my game next time around.

I agree on the skin retouching. Do you guys think some simple Lightroom cloning would be sufficient?

Here a fun question: What do you think this wedding set is worth? What should a set my pricing at considering my style/skill?
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    I love the natural light! Don't mess that up with too much flash. Maybe just an assistant with a reflector.

Caroline
  • Options
    JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    Beautiful set . . . I'm not a wedding photographer, I didn't have a photographer at my wedding, but "the" wedding photographer here in our little podunk town---who is booked for two years out---charges $2000 for just the session. And she doesn't do nearly as good a job as you did. These are stunning, so much personality, so much beautiful color.
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    These are really lovely! You have a wonderful style. Do you mind saying which lens(es) you shot with?
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Beautiful set . . . I'm not a wedding photographer, I didn't have a photographer at my wedding, but "the" wedding photographer here in our little podunk town---who is booked for two years out---charges $2000 for just the session. And she doesn't do nearly as good a job as you did. These are stunning, so much personality, so much beautiful color.

Wow, thanks! :)
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    I love the natural light! Don't mess that up with too much flash. Maybe just an assistant with a reflector.

Caroline

Funny, that's exactly what I was planning for the next wedding. I think natural light is a big part of my style, so I am all in for keeping the flash off and bouncing some real light.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Mox wrote:
    These are really lovely! You have a wonderful style. Do you mind saying which lens(es) you shot with?

Most everything was shot with my personal favorite the Nikon 80-200mm 2.8. I also used a 50mm 1.8 for a couple shots.

Something about the bokeh on that 80-200 is just incredible. #13 just has such a magical look to it. It's a unique bokeh and I think it serves weddings quite well.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Hard to say what you could charge.
    This is one wedding in near ideal lighting conditions.
    Lets see what happens when you do an outside wedding in the sun, or a wedding in a dark hall, or a wedding where everyone shows up late and it is raining and you have 25 minutes to shoot the bride, wedding party and family and you main camera just went down because it got wet.

You need to realistically judge your skills and experience, gauge that against your local competition and that should give you a starting point to think about what you could charge.

You need to learn how to use a flash, there will be times when you will need it. Reflectors are not the way to go for consistency and ability to use in any scenario.

:) Wow, thanks so much for the great response and critiques. The story on cake: In transit from the bakery(sister-in-law) the upper layers took a slide and got pretty roughed up. The bride never knew, but it took some doing to make another batch of frosting and do some bodywork on the cake. Very funny ordeal to look back on though!

So I need a flash, is that what I'm hearing? :) I actually have an SB600 on the way, so we'll have to see if that improves my game next time around.

I agree on the skin retouching. Do you guys think some simple Lightroom cloning would be sufficient?

Here a fun question: What do you think this wedding set is worth? What should a set my pricing at considering my style/skill?
  • Options
    MA-FOTOMA-FOTO Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2009

....yes. It is my main tool.
    There is the skin softening preset in the brush tool.
    good stuff.
    Later,
    _Mark
    Drive 50D ~ 24-70 L ~ 85mm ~ 28mm ~ Tammy 17-50 mm ~ Stuff
    ~
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    zoomer wrote:
    Hard to say what you could charge.
    This is one wedding in near ideal lighting conditions.
    Lets see what happens when you do an outside wedding in the sun, or a wedding in a dark hall, or a wedding where everyone shows up late and it is raining and you have 25 minutes to shoot the bride, wedding party and family and you main camera just went down because it got wet.

You need to realistically judge your skills and experience, gauge that against your local competition and that should give you a starting point to think about what you could charge.

You need to learn how to use a flash, there will be times when you will need it. Reflectors are not the way to go for consistency and ability to use in any scenario.

Hmmm...thanks for the critiques. To answer a few of them: I don't see how you can get much darker than some of the indoor bride/groom shots. Quite a few of the shots(most are in the main gallery) were taken at 6400/12800 ISO, f/2.8. The D700 makes these shots much easier than they should be. A year or so ago these shots would not have a chance without a flash.

For low light, I would be far more inclined to use a reflector over a flash. In a bright, high noon wedding I could see why you'd want a flash for some fill during the ceremony.

And actually, it started raining about 10 minutes after the ceremony. The group/B&G shots were taken during intermittent breaks in the H20.

552215961_mDUwD-XL.jpg

Oh, and I should clarify. I know how to use a flash. :) Just has never been my favorite tool in the bag. Here's a recent "flash" shot with one borrowed speedlight.

556774658_FAzR9-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    MA-FOTO wrote:
    ....yes. It is my main tool.
    There is the skin softening preset in the brush tool.
    good stuff.
    Later,
    _Mark

Cool, I will add this step to my wedding workflow! :)
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    No worries.
    Looks like the assumption I made that you were a beginner photographer was wrong.
    You obviously know what you are doing, you are just new to weddings.
    You will be fine.
    Take a look at what photographers in your area are charging, you should be able to jump right in at the median rate after getting a few under your belt for experience.
    I totally hear you when it comes to the D700, the ISO capability opens up so many possibilities.
    I hope there will come a day when I can get rid of my flashes, I hate when I have to use them.
  • Options
    elizabeth_Lunaelizabeth_Luna Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    zoomer wrote:
    No worries.
    Looks like the assumption I made that you were a beginner photographer was wrong.
    You obviously know what you are doing, you are just new to weddings.
    You will be fine.
    Take a look at what photographers in your area are charging, you should be able to jump right in at the median rate after getting a few under your belt for experience.
    I totally hear you when it comes to the D700, the ISO capability opens up so many possibilities.
    I hope there will come a day when I can get rid of my flashes, I hate when I have to use them.

Amen to that I hate them too...
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2009
    Amen to that I hate them too...

+1 :D They have their place, but more often then not they alter the look of the moments we are trying to capture; kind of defeating the concept of freezing these special, unaltered moments in time. I really try to avoid anything too synthetic looking. But hey, now I have a new challenge. When that SB-600 arrives, try and get the shots, with better technical lighting, while still keeping my "look".
  • Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2009
    These are fantastic! And you should definitely be charging for all your future shoots!
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Went back and re-looked at these picks and decided I just love 16 & 19. The little girls eyes in 19 are unbelievable.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    nikmolsonnikmolson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    great shots man awesome job. and as someone said the clone tool in light room and the skin soften brush will be perfect, though some times it can be hard not to over do it with that skin softening
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    Mishka wrote:
    These are fantastic! And you should definitely be charging for all your future shoots!

That's the plan! :) I am a career photog, so hopefully weddings will be a good fit. It is my living after all.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2009
    Jeff_Milo wrote:
    Went back and re-looked at these picks and decided I just love 16 & 19. The little girls eyes in 19 are unbelievable.

Tell me about it! I still don't know who she was exactly, a guests daughter I think. The opportunity for a shot presented itself and I ran with it. Her eyes are unbelievably huge. Very cute. I got a few other shots of her too.
  • Options
    kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Great work! One CC though. From looking at your PP work here ( http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=133532 ). I think you might be the best PP that I have ever seen. I think the Bride deserves some of your skills to remove the couple of pimples that you left in the shots. Also the fathers teeth could use some slight whitening.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Very nice job for your first wedding! You have a great eye and did a wonderful job with the lighting. Some of these seem very grainy though, so I'd be a little careful of what ISO you use, as that may have caused this. Other than that, fabulous first wedding job!

(4 and 11 are two of the more noticeable ones with grain)
  • Options
    BoomerangNetwork.comBoomerangNetwork.com Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2009
    Great job on your first wedding. Nice capture of the bride looking out with her dad.
    Andrew Osterberg

Moving Beyond Photography

VirtualPhotographyStudio.com