edited July 16, 2009 in Accessories
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    MDalby wrote:

Sorry I haven't used that strap, but I do have a strap from Blackrapid.com which is incredibly comfortable, and uniquely allows you to carry the camera at your side. You should check it out before buying any other.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    I have seen some wear them, and they get decent reviews, but why not go with the famous Smugmug strap. Not only a great strap, but free...

433754431_kUaEe-M-5.jpg
    Steve

Website
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    i do love my smugmug strap, but that r-strap looks pretty gangsta.
  • MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Shane,

I just saw a video on the R Strap.

http://www.blackrapid.com/video.php?id=1

I think this is the strap for me.

Thank you for the recommendation.

MD
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    No problem. I think you'll be quite happy.
  • KennySKennyS Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    You won't regret buying the R-strap. I love mine to death. On the other hand, the Smugmug straps are pure rubbish. The clips on the one I had broke and my D100 went crashing to the ground. The clips were ready to pop on a friend's smugmug strap as well.
  • RokdktrRokdktr Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    I have 2 Crumpler straps and I love them. I usually sling a 40D with grip, and a 70-200 attached for hiking. Very comfortable.:D
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Re R-Strap, I'd be worried what my gear was up to behind my back!?!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Andy_DAndy_D Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    I have the Crumpler dangling a 40D around my neck and it's great. Value for money, solid build, about $40 AUS and super comfortable with a long range of adjustment. I generally wear it sling style over my right shoulder with the camera hanging under my left arm, with a longish strap setting it's easy to swing up to eye level to shoot and feels more secure sitting on my hip, and my left hand can easily cradle the camera when I'm walking. I'd say take your camera to the shop and ask to try a few different straps to find what feels best for you though.
    Cheers

Andy
    Andy
    "we'll conquer lands of nowhere . . . "
    40D, 50, 18-55, 60 macro, 90-300, and one heck of a learning curve . . .
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2009
    Looks like you would need a CCW (concealed carry weapon) permit with that R Strap
    Going Paparrazzi
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • sellissellis Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2009
    Another vote for Blackrapid. I bought one for me and one for my assistant and we love them. There is an issue with the clip coming undone so the added a piece of plastic tubing. That makes it difficult to unclip when you want it to. I attached a better clip and have no problems.
  • MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    Just got the Black rapid because of this thread. It is great. Keeps the weight of my neck. I agree the plastic tube makes it harder to get off but that is a good thing when your hanging a $7000 setup off of it.
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2009
    MJRPHOTO wrote:
    Just got the Black rapid because of this thread.

No way... You received yours before I got mine. :cry

Maybe mine will come today!
  • JarvoJarvo Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2009
    Just another vote for the BlackRapid. I have my D80 slung around my body, dangling at my side at waist height.

It's ideal to grab the body, and swing the camera upwards.

There is one minus point. The BlackRapid attaches to the fixing point for a tripod. Therefore you have to remove it before considering using a tripod.

What would seem better is a mounting plate of some kind.

But all in all, the Black Rapid is fantastic.
  • devbeedevbee Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2009
    Don't rely on the SmugMug strap
    I got my smugmug strap about 6 months ago and was using it on my 6 year old 10d. About a month ago I upgraded to a 50d with a very nice 17mm-55mm Canon lens. Naturally I immediately put my smugmug strap on. 1 week later I picked up my camera, the 10 cent plastic clip broke and my new body and lens crashed to the ground. Luckily, I had my lens hood on as the camera fell lens first.

No damage, but I will never ever ever use a cheap strap again. Silly to spend $2500+ on a camera and trust it to $5 cheap strap. Looks nice but just not worth it.

I've learned my lesson.
    KennyS wrote:
    You won't regret buying the R-strap. I love mine to death. On the other hand, the Smugmug straps are pure rubbish. The clips on the one I had broke and my D100 went crashing to the ground. The clips were ready to pop on a friend's smugmug strap as well.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    devbee wrote:
    I got my smugmug strap about 6 months ago and was using it on my 6 year old 10d. About a month ago I upgraded to a 50d with a very nice 17mm-55mm Canon lens. Naturally I immediately put my smugmug strap on. 1 week later I picked up my camera, the 10 cent plastic clip broke and my new body and lens crashed to the ground. Luckily, I had my lens hood on as the camera fell lens first.

No damage, but I will never ever ever use a cheap strap again. Silly to spend $2500+ on a camera and trust it to $5 cheap strap. Looks nice but just not worth it.

I've learned my lesson.
    V1 of the straps (years ago) were sorta slippery and so we started paying more for a better ribbing that would hold up better.

I find the current versions to be really strong, and we've had no reports but yours that I know of.

Email me (ATTN: Andy) at our help desk and I'll send you a couple new ones, just to ensure that you didn't still have an olde version.

Thanks!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2009
    KennyS wrote:
    See my post above, you too, Kenny :D
  • AldazarAldazar Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Hey guys, opinion question:

I checked out the other straps mentioned and while the BlackRapid one looks like it'd be great, at $62 (incl shipping), that's a very pricey strap!

Do you think it's worth the extra money compared to the SmugMug strap or even the stock Canon one that came with the camera?

I have a Canon 50D for reference.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited June 25, 2009
    Aldazar wrote:
    Hey guys, opinion question:

I checked out the other straps mentioned and while the BlackRapid one looks like it'd be great, at $62 (incl shipping), that's a very pricey strap!

Do you think it's worth the extra money compared to the SmugMug strap or even the stock Canon one that came with the camera?

I have a Canon 50D for reference.

The BlackRapid "R" strap is like no other and many folks enjoy the freedom it gives. If you are a working pro, especially if you have more than one camera to hang, it makes a lot of sense.

That said, I don't have one yet. I do fine with a conventional strap including the SmugMug strap. I will often hang the "spare" camera across and the primary camera straight down to keep them separated, and that works OK for me.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 25, 2009
    I had a chance to try the Crumpler at PMA a couple of years ago and I really liked it. I tried it with Ben's D3 and it seems fine. I could carry the camera for a long time.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Jarvo wrote:
    Just another vote for the BlackRapid. I have my D80 slung around my body, dangling at my side at waist height.

It's ideal to grab the body, and swing the camera upwards.

There is one minus point. The BlackRapid attaches to the fixing point for a tripod. Therefore you have to remove it before considering using a tripod.

What would seem better is a mounting plate of some kind.

But all in all, the Black Rapid is fantastic.

aT ABOUT $20 I really like the Crooked Horn Outfitters Bino system....actually devised for large binocs it has worked very well for me with my KM7D's.......it keeps all the weight off your neck.....
    They can be found in most any Wal Mrt sporting goods dept or Gander Mtns......or Cabelas .....most fine Sporting good stores that cater to hunters and fishing people.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• AldazarAldazar Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2009
    Thanks for your feedback! I'm loath to spend that money right now since I'm definitely not a pro (quite the opposite in fact) and I'd rather save up for more lenses!
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The BlackRapid "R" strap is like no other and many folks enjoy the freedom it gives. If you are a working pro, especially if you have more than one camera to hang, it makes a lot of sense.

That said, I don't have one yet. I do fine with a conventional strap including the SmugMug strap. I will often hang the "spare" camera across and the primary camera straight down to keep them separated, and that works OK for me.
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    I have the camo crumpler. I found out they were updating their product line and no longer selling it, so I had to look around to find a store that had them. I rather much like it.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    Another vote for the black rapid. Love mine.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • kensingtonkensington Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2009
    OpTech Super Classic here
    I have used the Super Classic OpTech strap with pro loops for the past 4-5 months and am extremely happy with it. Once I pick up a D700 rolleyes1.gif I'll pick up one of the Black Rapid straps, they look pretty cool and I have heard very good things about them as well.
  • RezenRezen Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    My wife bought me a Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap for my birthday a couple of weeks ago.

I'm extremely happy with it ... it's leaps and bounds more comfortable than the Canon kit strap, which always cut into my neck if I kept the camera there for any length of time.
    The best camera in the world is the one you have with you.
  • wilsonjgwilsonjg Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    I have seen some wear them, and they get decent reviews, but why not go with the famous Smugmug strap. Not only a great strap, but free...

433754431_kUaEe-M-5.jpg

Cool little SmugMug strap....I need to go ahead and get mine!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    kensington wrote:
    I have used the Super Classic OpTech strap with pro loops for the past 4-5 months and am extremely happy with it. Once I pick up a D700 rolleyes1.gif I'll pick up one of the Black Rapid straps, they look pretty cool and I have heard very good things about them as well.

That's the one! thumb.gif

I carry heavy stuff on mine...love it.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2009
    I have two blackrapids, on a D300 and D700. They were great as a tandem. BR also has a double strap made for two cameras.

The only drawback is you need to make sure the eye bolt to the camera/lens is secure. There are horror stories of it becoming loose and camera falling to the ground. It is no biggie, but make sure it is secure. It is a habit for me now.
  • LinhLinh Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2009
    wow, how have I missed this blackrapid system? A bit expensive, but this looks like it makes using two cameras significantly easier. I might have to try one, I'm getting a bit uneasy with my optech quick release. I need a longer strap anyway, might as well try this out.

And what's this about free smugmug straps?
    vote on the following smugmug feedback:
    CSS Block To Flow Down To Children Folders/Pages/Galleries
    [URL="http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/1104583-a-bulk-
    gallery-download-button-for-my-visitors"]bulk download option for clients[/URL]