• Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    :(: oh, now that was just plain mean...

rolleyes1.gif
    nah, raw would be above my skills too.

You'll get there. And besides, polaroids are fun :D

I still want one of those Holgas with a polaroid back...
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Harumpf! What's wrong with Polaroids?

Polaroids and jpegs are fine.

It was just an analogy: raw is to film negative what jpeg is to polaroid?
    A direct positive straight outta camera.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Fantastic images this round....can't figure how the judges were able to narrow the field down.ne_nau.gif I won't even attempt to pick my favorites...just too difficult.

Anyway....just getting ready to add some comments to the gallery. Thanks again everyone for the help this round - much appreciated.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    I still want one of those Holgas with a polaroid back...

These exist?! I have a Holga, but one with a polaroid back would be teh r0xorz.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    These exist?! I have a Holga, but one with a polaroid back would be teh r0xorz.

Polgaroid in stock here.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    The planet thing
    This is not so hard to do as it seems.

At first I was going to try something similar to what Pyry did. Must be a Baltic thing? He's Finnish and I'm Estonian (but born in America)-- our language and culture are very close. But I digress. rolleyes1.gif In my search on line for that particular technique I stumbled upon a different one that showed you how to create planets from photos of textures by using the Sphereize tool in PS. With our new granite countertops I knew I already had a nice background with a nebula. All I had to do was photograph the other countertops and a rock for some more textures. Next step was putting it all together, which consisted of two phases: creating the background and then creating the planets.

The Background

1. Started out with the following image. All I did was crop this from the original and played a bit with Levels. Nothing fancy.

578528755_5eNFM-S.jpg

2. Duplicated the Background Layer and then selected Filter > Render > Lens Flare to add several different lens flare effects to the duplicated background layer.

578529330_5CqpF-S.jpg

3. The nebula in the center looked like it could use a little color so I added a Gradient fill layer: Blending mode - Overlay; Opacity - 19%. Masked out areas that did not require the color.

578529930_4WBtu-S.jpg

4. Set the foreground color to white and some distant stars by using the ellipse tool to draw tiny white circles and then applying some gaussian blur (to taste) to them. PS was a little concerned about that and asked me if I wanted to rasterize the shape so I told it OK. Repeated this for every teeny star I created.

578528516_HH2Ss-S.jpg

The background image was now complete. I saved it and kept it open. Next came the creating of the planets.

The Planets

Bear with me, this isn't as bad as it seems.

1. Open up a texture photo and make a square crop of it.

578530524_QvqMw-M.jpg

2. Select Filter > Distort > Spherize. Make sure the Mode is set to Normal and that the Amount is 100%. Click OK to continue.

578544630_zWsEj-M.jpg

You may need to repeat Step 2 two or three times. If it looks too distorted, use Edit > Undo to go back to the previous setting. You should wind up with an image that looks like this:

578530168_2eA92-M.jpg

3. Click Layer > New > Layer from Background to turn the Background into a layer.

4. Use the Elliptical Marquee tool to select the Sphere. Make sure Feather is set to about 5 px. You may need to use Select > Transform Selection to refine your selection.

578530281_LkGMx-M.jpg

5. Click Select > Inverse and the press the Delete key. Voila! Now this is beginning to look more like a planet.

578530315_xih4m-M.jpg

But we still need to add a shadow to the side that will not be facing the bright star.

6. Click Layer > New > Layer to create a new layer. Yes, it's empty but it won't be for long. Make sure the new layer you created is selected and use the Elliptical Marquee tool to draw another perfect circle. Make the foreground color black and use the Paint Bucket tool to fill the selection with black.

578530401_UAeXh-M.jpg

7. Click Select > Refine Edge to soften the edges of your selection. These are my settings, yours may vary depending on the size of the image you're working with. Just make the edges "not sharp". Click OK when done.

578530425_YWmEQ-M.jpg

8. Change the opacity of the top layer to about 50%. You should now be able to see the layer that's underneath. Use the Move tool to move the black circle so that it's offset from the image underneath it. For my composite I needed to move it to the left.

578530445_kNviE-M.jpg

9. Make sure the top layer is selected and then click Filter > Blur > Gaussian blur and move the slider until the edges are nice and soft.

578530479_aHL2q-M.jpg

Hang on, we're almost done!

10. Make sure the top layer is selected. Use the Elliptical Marquee tool to draw another perfect circle. Click Select > Inverse and then press Delete to remove the remnants of the shadow. You now have something that looks like a planet.

578529976_ACGKA-M.jpg

11doh.gif Just noticed my History tab is in full view -- just ignore that, OK?

11. Make sure the top layer is selected and then click Layer > Merge Down. Then copy this new layer to the background image with the stars in it, or you can drag it over. Once you put into the background image with the stars and nebula, you will need to use the Free Transform tool to resize it. That's it!

578530102_prg5L-M.jpg

Did I forget to mention that you need to repeat steps 1 - 11 for every planet you want add to the background. rolleyes1.gif

:whew Now I'm going to sit down and have some pizza.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Couple of ideabulbs there for me Linda, thanks :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Thanks all for sharing your techniques.
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Thanks for sharing Linda..clap.gif

Although I am really new to composites, I am thinking of one for the next round..

My greatest struggle is keeping all of the layers straight. I wonder if you guys use snapshot, and if snapshot preserves the layer work "separately" even if you flatten or merge the layer down..? I have seen layer groups, but those really confuse me..eek7.gif

As you probably know, the tree in the hand was my first composite, and I had a rough time when I had to merge certain layers to activate certain tool actions and then found later that I wanted back into one of those layers... any advice here from you guys would be appreciated..thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    My greatest struggle is keeping all of the layers straight. I wonder if you guys use snapshot, and if snapshot preserves the layer work "separately" even if you flatten or merge the layer down..? I have seen layer groups, but those really confuse me..

ctr+alt+shift+e is your friend...

It creates a new merged layer while leaving all the separate layers as is.

My biggest mistake is forgetting to label them with names I can remember so I know which is which. Oops... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Linda asked for a how-to on my Small world, so I thought I'd try to write one.

Thanks pyry. I'm going to have to try this one!
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    This is not so hard to do as it seems.

Way cool Linda. Thanks!
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    ctr+alt+shift+e is your friend...

That advice and an old skool technique called save multiple versions of your work as you develop the image so if you have to go back farther than the amount of undos or snapshots you have, you can.

I ended up at the letter "L" when I created "symbiote" - version 1 = name1a, version 2 = name1b and so on....

Like I said its old skool long before layers or even multiple undos existed in Photoshop. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    but, but that's sooooooooo practical Sean..:D:D:D

Thanks Diva... I wrote it down on the list of shortcuts.. awesome.. I had no idea I could do that.... now to keep them labeled.. I am bad about that..

Looks like Sean has that down though... :D often I get so frustrated the save looks like 4444, or 44441, 44442, or final edit, final edit 1, final edit 2, hehehheeee.. rolleyes1.gifhard to keep crossing back and forth from creative mind to organized mind..

Never could master the piano.. one side of the brain at a time ya know..mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Thanks for the share pyry.. I am going to have to try this sometime.. yours is the first I have ever seen. An awesome effect.... I bet this would look cool with an ocean or beach shot..

ok,, I have to ask.. Are you guys using some kind of screen capture software to take screen shots here on these tutorials or are you using your camera?

Kat
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    Thanks for the share pyry.. I am going to have to try this sometime.. yours is the first I have ever seen. An awesome effect.... I bet this would look cool with an ocean or beach shot..

ok,, I have to ask.. Are you guys using some kind of screen capture software to take screen shots here on these tutorials or are you using your camera?

Kat

You are welcome, just remember to share your results :D

There's a key that says 'Print Screen / SysRq' on it on most keyboards. Press it and the screen (excluding overlays like video) is captured to the clipboard, then it's a simple matter of pasting to a new image, cropping and resizing.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    pyry wrote:

There's a key that says 'Print Screen / SysRq' on it on most keyboards. Press it and the screen (excluding overlays like video) is captured to the clipboard, then it's a simple matter of pasting to a new image, cropping and resizing.

You can also use Alt+Print Screen to print just the active window.

Course, if you're on a Mac, just fire up Grab.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    That advice and an old skool technique called save multiple versions of your work as you develop the image so if you have to go back farther than the amount of undos or snapshots you have, you can.

I ended up at the letter "L" when I created "symbiote" - version 1 = name1a, version 2 = name1b and so on....

Like I said its old skool long before layers or even multiple undos existed in Photoshop. ne_nau.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif

I have multiple versions on my hard drive as well. nod.gif I save the same document multiple times. nod.gifnod.gif I always work from a duplicate background layer.

I used to be the tech support individual for a company years ago and people would always ask me how often they should save their work. My answer would always be the same: "when you'd rather eat a bar of soap than redo what you've done: if it's every 60 seconds, then so be it, but only you can be the best judge. "

What hate is when PS crashes midstream. :bluduh But if I know I'm going to do something memory-intensive, I save my work.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2009

Kat
    I use a product called SnagIt to do screen captures. But there are other products available as well:

http://www.google.com/search?q=screen+capture&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    Also on Mac, pressing shift-cmd-3 grabs the whole screen and shift-cmd-4 turns your mouse into cross-hairs so you can select just a portion of your screen. thumb.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I use a product called SnagIt to do screen captures. But there are other products available as well:

http://www.google.com/search?q=screen+capture&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

For Picasa users, if you do a prntscreen screenshot grab, it automatically saves it into a dedicated folder (I love Picasa - for a free program, it's pretty darned good,and I still prefer to import my photos from camera to computer using it rather than LR or any of the other software I have....)
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    For Picasa users, if you do a prntscreen screenshot grab, it automatically saves it into a dedicated folder (I love Picasa - for a free program, it's pretty darned good,and I still prefer to import my photos from camera to computer using it rather than LR or any of the other software I have....)
    I never knew that, thanks for the tip.
    I love Picasa too. But lets see... I use the kodak software from my camera, picasa, hp image zone (from and old camera) and Gimp. I have found each has something it does better than the others, at least for me. For what I do, they are all work for me. Best of all I like freebies.
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Also on Mac, pressing shift-cmd-3 grabs the whole screen and shift-cmd-4 turns your mouse into cross-hairs so you can select just a portion of your screen. thumb.gif
    clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2009
    pyry wrote:

Thanks pyry... Very helpful.. I have never had a reason to screen capture before but it looks like this technique comes in handy around here.. So, thank you for your help.. thumb.gifand if I can pull the planet effect off, I will definitely share it..

Kat
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    I just went back to look at the comments in the DSS #28 Circle or Square gallery

Gallery Found Here...

And I wanted to thank everyone who commented on not only my shot but many others, I enjoy reading each and every perspective from each of you, its a great learning experience. Also I want to thank Steven Hatch for taking the time to comment as well even though you were a guest judge and were not obligated to. Your comments are always so interesting to read. And of course divamum too, thank you soooo much!

Sean
  • Options
    AirThomAirThom Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    I just went back to look at the comments in the DSS #28 Circle or Square gallery

Gallery Found Here...

And I wanted to thank everyone who commented on not only my shot but many others, I enjoy reading each and every perspective from each of you, its a great learning experience. Also I want to thank Steven Hatch for taking the time to comment as well even though you were a guest judge and were not obligated to. Your comments are always so interesting to read. And of course divamum too, thank you soooo much!

Sean

Thanks for posting this Sean, it reminded me to go check my own! So many great comments this round. Thank you to everyone! wings.gif
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    sherstone wrote:

Gallery Found Here...

Sean

I'll second that--it's the learning and sharing together that really sets this group apart.