I got whacked upside the head with a Canon!

HeatherWBHeatherWB Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited August 7, 2009 in Cameras
Not literally, of course, but I am smitten, big time! :lust

Yesterday, I went to a local camera store hoping that they've have some old Pentax-mount extension tubes among their used gear for sale. While they didn't, that led to a conversation with the salesguy about how frustrating it can be to find accessories for Pentax cameras. He just so happened to pull out a gently used 40D from behind the counter, attached an EFS18-200 to it, and let me play with it. I was absolutely blown away by the super quick AF and burst mode, as well as how quiet the AF was, even though the 18-200 isn't a USM lens. Of course, I didn't have the $600+ he wanted for it, but if I had had it, I would've been very tempted to walk out of the store with it, never mind that all my lenses are Pentax-compatible. :lol

I've been shooting with Pentax for almost 2 years (in Oct.) and have been pretty happy with it, for the most part. Other than messing around a little bit with my dad's Canon XSi (since replaced by the T1i), I really hadn't played around with anything else in the DSLR world, so I really didn't have much to go by in comparing things like AF speed and such. Even with that, there have been times where I've become really frustrated with AF hunting and noise on my K20D in addition to the lack of accessories, either Pentax or 3rd party.

I will have to admit that up until yesterday, I've had fleeting thoughts about switching systems, but now I'm starting to give it even more serious consideration. Of course, the K7 has come out and it does address the AF speed issue, among other things. The simplest thing to do would be to upgrade to the K7, but that still doesn't address the lack of Pentax and compatible accesssories. I've also considered eventually picking up a FF body as a long-term goal and assuming that Pentax doesn't come out with a FF body, I would have to switch systems when that time came, anyway. As for my shooting habits, while I'm open to shooting all sorts of things, my passion is nature photography, including landscapes and macro. While I'm a hobbyist at this point, I'd love to go pro if the opportunity presented itself.

I did mention that my dad does have a T1i, so if I switched, we could share lenses, as he has some very nice L-glass I'd love to play with. :D

As this is a major decision, I'll be taking my time and doing my homework as to what would work best for me in the way of gear. If I do switch, I would expect to start building my Canon system sometime around Christmas.

I know this is long, but what happened with me and that 40D yesterday was quite unexpected and a bit shocking. :eek1

Thanks for bearing with me!
Heather :D
My blog: Heather's Lightbox
My pics
"He who cannot dance will say: "The drum is bad!" --African proverb.

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    do it. Sell al your pentax gear and make the plunge. In my expereince regrets only get stronger as the years pass.thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Uhhhh .... if you make the switch, you might have to change your nickname mwink.gif Have you thought of that?

As for cameras, the 40D is a sweet machine and will server you nicely for just about everything.

Were I you, I think I would make the plunge and never look back.
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Uhhhh .... if you make the switch, you might have to change your nickname mwink.gif Have you thought of that?

As for cameras, the 40D is a sweet machine and will server you nicely for just about everything.

Were I you, I think I would make the plunge and never look back.

I'd take a look at a D90 too though. I have both a 50D and a D90 and I'm still out to lunch on which one I like, however, I do think the D90 has some minor usability and feature items which are great like:

Being able to take up to 9 shots after the timer goes off, this worked great for family pictures with me in the shot and kids. Being able to put grid lines in the view finder and live view is, I think, much better implemented. Add video and SD card media format (Easier to stick into the laptop than a CF card and perhaps a EyeFi card at some point and SD is cheaper than CF - although not quite as fast.)

Anyways, look at the D90 too.

I have canon L glass so I shoot with my 50D more, but still like the Nikon (Although my wife took the battery grip off for her use, so it's not as nice to handle as my 50d with the grip.)
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • hogheadhoghead Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Not literally, of course, but I am smitten, big time! iloveyou.gif

Yesterday, I went to a local camera store hoping that they've have some old Pentax-mount extension tubes among their used gear for sale. While they didn't, that led to a conversation with the salesguy about how frustrating it can be to find accessories for Pentax cameras. He just so happened to pull out a gently used 40D from behind the counter, attached an EFS18-200 to it, and let me play with it. I was absolutely blown away by the super quick AF and burst mode, as well as how quiet the AF was, even though the 18-200 isn't a USM lens. Of course, I didn't have the $600+ he wanted for it, but if I had had it, I would've been very tempted to walk out of the store with it, never mind that all my lenses are Pentax-compatible.

I did mention that my dad does have a T1i, so if I switched, we could share lenses, as he has some very nice L-glass I'd love to play with. :D

As this is a major decision, I'll be taking my time and doing my homework as to what would work best for me in the way of gear. If I do switch, I would expect to start building my Canon system sometime around Christmas.

I know this is long, but what happened with me and that 40D yesterday was quite unexpected and a bit shocking. :eek1

Thanks for bearing with me!

Fight the urge, don't go over to the dark side!
    Pentax K10D, K20D body, PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8, PENTAX-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Pentax DA* 300mm f/4, Pentax DA 10-17mm, Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM, Pentax DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3, Pentax Super Takumar 200mm f/4,
    Pentax FA 50mm F1.4, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F2.8XRDi, Pentax AF-540FGZ flash
    Hog Wild Photography
  • tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I have had all of pentax's best DSLRs, form the k10d to samsung gx20 (This is actually pentax's best camera) I have 6 lenses, 4 "540 fgz" flashes, and tons of accessories. I was frustrated that they didn't have a full frame camera, not knowing this when i got into photography. While you can take fantastic pictures with pentax gear, I decided to take the plunge and begin the switch into Canon.

I jumped right in and bought the 5d mark ii right after it's introduction. I have also bought 2 L lenses, and a flash. I've got to tell you, my two pentax cameras that I have left are just collecting dust.

I know the Mark ii is a bit better than the 40d you are considering, however, there is just no comparison. I say sell your pentax gear, buy a full frame canon, make your dad jealous, and take some awesome pictures.

The best thing alone is the high iso noise level. Almost non-existent on the canon. With the pentax system, it is bad starting at iso400.

hope this helps.
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Congrats on your epiphany or sorts.

I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy but as you've stated your family already uses Canon so I'd probably go that route. If your looking to eventually go FF you may as well wait a bit longer and save for a used 5D instead taking an incremental step into the world of Canon. Lately they seem to average between $1200-$1500 but I've seen as low as $1050(although they almost sell instantly at that price). If you can wait a while more, say until after Christmas in hopes of people getting the MkII all the better.

By all means though, check out what Nikon has to offer and see if that would work out better for you.

Whatever you end up doing I'd suggest you shop for the system not specific pieces of gear. The availability of bodies, lenses, accessories, along with the pricing of said bits.

Best of luck sorting it out.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I shot Pentax.....film.....from the mid-eighties until just a few years ago when I decided to go digital. The difficulties you describe about finding accessories weighed heavily in my decision to either go Nikon or Canon. Not to mention IF you can find it....the accesories and lenses often come at a greater cost. I chose Canon and have been pleased.

Good luck!:D
  • HeatherWBHeatherWB Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    First things first, I know I'll need to be changing my username at some point. :)

Besides the fact that my dad uses Canon, I simply like Canon's selection of lenses better than Nikon's. I'm into getting the best glass that I can afford and I think that Canon will work just fine. At this point, I'm looking at a basic 3-lens setup to get me started-- 24-105/4, 70-300 IS, and the 100 macro; perhaps I'll add an UWA like the 17-40 at some later point.

I've actually toyed with the idea of saving a bit longer and picking up a 5D, especially when some of the used ones are getting to be close in price to that of a new 50D. Then again, I'm also considering picking up something inexpensive like a used 40D and putting more of my money towards building a quality lens collection in the beginning and then starting to save up in earnest for the FF body once I have the lenses that I really want. Unfortunately, I'm not made of money, so I simply can't go out and buy my dream system all at once...sigh...

Last night, I talked to my dad and needless to say, he's really excited about the prospect of all of this. He even went as far as to suggest that I contact the camera store and see if they'd consider a trade of my Pentax gear for that 40D and 18-200. As excited as I am, I really don't want to rush into anything--I want to save up some more money in addition to what I can get from selling my Pentax gear and make smart choices regarding my new gear. I also have a nature photography workshop that I'm going to in October and I don't know that I really want to go in with new gear that I'm not entirely familiar with yet.

Anyway, thanks for all the support. :) As time goes by, I'm sure I'll be asking more gear-related questions, hopefully nothing too stupid mwink.gif

Heather :)
    My pics
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Don't trade your equipment to the dealer! Sell it to us poor souls who are "stuck" with Pentax! rolleyes1.gif
    edited July 29, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Don't trade your equipment to the dealer! Sell it to us poor souls who are "stuck" with Pentax! rolleyes1.gif
    nod.gif15524779-Ti.gif - You'll almost surely get a better deal by dealing with folks here than you will dealing with your dealer. Gotta remember that they are in business to make money and will likely buy from you for a lot less than it's actually worth. Especially as you are thinking about a used 40D rather than buying a new (anything) from him/her. So I'm cynical. But, I just might be right.
    edited July 29, 2009
    You're not going to believe this!!
    I just got off of the phone with my dad in Tennessee and he and Mom called down to the camera store I was at here in Florida on Monday and they bought that 40D for me!! clap.gif I'm so excited!! :D:D

Now I just need to get busy selling my Pentax gear so I can afford to buy some lenses for it!

WOO HOO!!clap.gifclap.gif

Heather
    My pics
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I just got off of the phone with my dad in Tennessee and he and Mom called down to the camera store I was at here in Florida on Monday and they bought that 40D for me!! clap.gif I'm so excited!! :D:D

Now I just need to get busy selling my Pentax gear so I can afford to buy some lenses for it!

WOO HOO!!clap.gifclap.gif

Heather

Congratulations! Parents sure can be surprising.

In the mean time before you get rid of the Pentax gear how do you feel about manual focus and aperture priorty? Spend just about $30 for an adapter and use you Pentax lenses on your Canon. I get the impression that your existing lenses are newer than what I have been working with but I have some fun with some old M42 mount lenses (Pentax screw mount). I, of course, would not want to do that all the time but since I had them from the 1970s figured why not try to have some fun with them in the meantime and I have.

Jane
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Hip hip hooray for Mom n' Dad! Congrats on the new acquisition - you'll have fun, no doubt about it :)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited July 29, 2009
    Congratulations Heather. Jane has a great idea in that old Pentax M42 lenses work pretty well on the Canon cameras with an adapter and, of course, they work well on the Pentax dSLRs too. I do recommend that you get the M42/EOS adapter with focus confirmation chip as that helps in focusing accuracy.

Here are some of my old M42 lenses on Canon cameras:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=34881
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=38398
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=27214

Most of the lenses in this reply are also M42 mount with the M42/EOS adapter:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=...8&postcount=17
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 29, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Congratulations Heather. Mary has a great idea in that old Pentax M42 lenses work pretty well on the Canon cameras with an adapter and, of course, they work well on the Pentax dSLRs too. I do recommend that you get the M42/EOS adapter with focus confirmation chip as that helps in focusing accuracy.

Here are some of my old M42 lenses on Canon cameras:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=34881
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=38398
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=27214

Most of the lenses in this reply are also M42 mount with the M42/EOS adapter:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=...8&postcount=17

headscratch.gif I can't find a Mary in this thread. I did post about my use of M42 lenses and the last I knew my name is Jane.rolleyes1.gif
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I just got off of the phone with my dad in Tennessee and he and Mom called down to the camera store I was at here in Florida on Monday and they bought that 40D for me
    Do you have their number handy? :D
    edited July 29, 2009
    Jane B. wrote:
    headscratch.gif I can't find a Mary in this thread. I did post about my use of M42 lenses and the last I knew my name is Jane.rolleyes1.gif

Sorry Jane, I'm old. It's sad. :cry

Jane
    Jane
    Jane
    Jane
    Jane

Maybe some repetitions will get me back on the straight and narrow. thumb.gifwings.gif
    ziggy53
    edited July 29, 2009
    Do you have their number handy? :D

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I just got done listing most of my Pentax gear for sale in the Marketplace at Pentax Forums and I'm tired! Keep your fingers crossed that it'll sell fast.

I'm going to be calling the camera store sometime tomorrow to see about arranging for pickup. While I'm at it, I might see if they've got an inexpensive 50/1.8 on hand that will tide me over until I can get the Pentax stuff sold.

My pics
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Things are working out sweetly!thumb.gif

I have had the 40D going on 2yr now, and I continue to be impressed by it. My troublesome yearning for a FF is fading rather than growing!ne_nau.gif

Re your concerns about new gear and new learning, my feeling is that you learn painfully but quickly and permanently when you just have to do whatever it is and reach whatever the benchmark is. Dive in, you will nearly drown, but your survival will impress you!

I think your approach of giving spending priority to top lenses is sound. I really believe that excellent lenses will teach you a lot that you never expected, whatever specs they have. Seeing photography from the viewpoint of the *lens* is a rewarding perspective. All habits, even the best advised, need to be challenged.deal.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    I just got done listing most of my Pentax gear for sale in the Marketplace at Pentax Forums and I'm tired! Keep your fingers crossed that it'll sell fast.

Same name there?

*furiously googles in search for goodies*
    edited July 30, 2009
    Grainbelt wrote:
    Same name there?

*furiously googles in search for goodies*

I believe you should look for "hwblanks" at http://www.pentaxforums.com
    ziggy53
    edited July 30, 2009
    Just an update on the selling...at the rate things are going with that, I'm expecting to be able to buy the 24-105 sometime next week. :)

I'll be going to the camera store tomorrow afternoon to pick up the body.

My pics
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Heather,
    while I wholeheartedly support your decision to join the C-world, 70-300 and 18-200, while tempting, may not be a good decision in the long run. At least do yourself a favor and rent (one of) them for a weekend, along with, say, 70-200, or 100-400, or 200 prime. You may save yourself a lot of possible frustration over a little cost of rental...
    Just a thought
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Just an update on the selling...at the rate things are going with that, I'm expecting to be able to buy the 24-105 sometime next week. :)

I'll be going to the camera store tomorrow afternoon to pick up the body.

Ah, you'll enjoy, I just put a 24-105 on my 50D and Love It!
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I believe you should look for "hwblanks" at http://www.pentaxforums.com

Yep - I figured it out. May have to pick up that 55-300, saturn will be visible this month and I have nary a telephoto lens.
    edited July 30, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Heather,
    while I wholeheartedly support your decision to join the C-world, 70-300 and 18-200, while tempting, may not be a good decision in the long run. At least do yourself a favor and rent (one of) them for a weekend, along with, say, 70-200, or 100-400, or 200 prime. You may save yourself a lot of possible frustration over a little cost of rental...
    Just a thought
    nod.gif15524779-Ti.gif - This is good advice. Rent them first - you may find the wisdom in "Buy it right, buy it once."
    edited July 31, 2009
    nod.gif15524779-Ti.gif - This is good advice. Rent them first - you may find the wisdom in "Buy it right, buy it once."
    )

I agree with the idea behind "buy it right, buy it once" but this is also a time when budget (or the lack thereof) comes into play. As an example I bought a modified “kit” lens (I shoot the Canon D60 which is the model before the 10D and it won’t take the “s” lenses) a few years ago as I so wanted the wider angle but couldn’t afford the better quality ones. It turned out to be a good one with only one problem of giving me error 1 every now and then but quickly corrected by reseating the lens. I have moved on to the Tamron 17-50 but do not regret the $60.00 spent on the modified version of the original kit lens. It served me well as a stop gap and I have kept it just in case of problems that necessitate repairs to the Tamron as it would give me something wider than the 28mm that is the widest on any other lens I own.

Jane B.
    edited July 31, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Sorry Jane, I'm old. It's sad. :cry

Jane
    Jane
    Jane
    Jane
    Jane

Maybe some repetitions will get me back on the straight and narrow. thumb.gifwings.gif

I too get senior discounts. No hard feelings over the change of name. The fact that I had to fight to get Jane used from the time I started school until I was and adult, and it still comes up at times, may have had something to do with me not being able to resist calling your attention to it. Jane is my middle name — my parents decided to name me after my mother as far as first name but call me by my middle name to keep from the confusion of which Helen do you mean.

Jane B.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Be sure to check out some of the used boards for lenses also.
    I have bought a ton of stuff from here: Fred Miranda

With the system they have in place, you can search for what you want, and also search the new price from B&H.
    I just bought a flash from there today.

The 24-105 has been sold as a kit with the 5DMKII for about 6 months now.
    I know for some time, it was hard to find a camera alone, so people bought the kits and sold the lenses.
    New I think they go for around $1100 new, used you can find them down to around $800, but most are closer to $900.

The 70-300is is a good lens. (I own one) But for about the same money, you can get a 70-200L f4.
    At one time I owned one of these, and I wish I would have hung on to it.

I looked around your flickr site a little, it seems like you're shooting more at the wide end than you are at the telephoto end.
    When looking wide, don't for get about 3rd party lenses.

The Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is a very good lens. (Yep, I own one)
    The Tokina 12-24 f4 is also very good. (own one of these too)

Good luck.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited July 31, 2009
    davev wrote:
    The 70-300is is a good lens. (I own one) But for about the same money, you can get a 70-200L f4.
    At one time I owned one of these, and I wish I would have hung on to it.

I looked around your flickr site a little, it seems like you're shooting more at the wide end than you are at the telephoto end.
    When looking wide, don't for get about 3rd party lenses.

The Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is a very good lens. (Yep, I own one)
    The Tokina 12-24 f4 is also very good. (own one of these too)

Good luck.

I noticed the $600 price tag on the 70-200/4 and that looks really good. :) My only concern is the fact that it lacks IS. Has anybody found that to be a problem when handholding? I do most of my shooting in decent light, so I should be able to use a fast enough shutter speed to minimize shaking, though.

As for 3rd party lenses on the wide end, I've also given some consideration to the Tokina 16-50/2.8. It's innards are basically the same as the Pentax DA*16-50/2.8 and that is one fine lens. :) The only thing I'm a little concerned about is that it might be a bit short on the long end. If I were to get it, I wouldn't really need to rush out and buy a UWA right away, which would make my lens budget go quite a bit further. :)

With my Pentax gear sale, it is going well. :) The only 2 expensive items I have left are the K20D body (but there is someone who's very interested in it) and the DFA100 macro + some smaller less expensive stuff. I'm hoping to have everything wrapped up by the end of next week. By the time it's all said and done, I'm hoping to have somewhere in the neighborhood of $2000 to buy lenses with. :)

BTW, I went and picked up the 40D this afternoon. :D I'd given some thought to picking up an inexpensive 50 or kit lens to tide me over, but all they had on hand was an old 35-80, so I passed.

Heather :)
    My pics