Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #30: Environmental Portrait

Comments

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    My instinct in whiterice's linked example would be to crop the black around the outside out because it does look so framey but keep the overlapping inside that identifies it as a composite, if that makes sense. Part of the issue is by having images like that in the gallery now, versus on DGrin like Shatch's entry, is a white border it automatically added to the outside of images, enhancing the frame effect. ...Did that make any sense? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    My instinct in whiterice's linked example would be to crop the black around the outside out because it does look so framey but keep the overlapping inside that identifies it as a composite, if that makes sense. Part of the issue is by having images like that in the gallery now, versus on DGrin like Shatch's entry, is a white border it automatically added to the outside of images, enhancing the frame effect. ...Did that make any sense? headscratch.gif

So then if one wanted to use panography, you are saying that the individual images around the border would need to be cropped to avoid the use of any background? If that's what you're requiring, then this wouldn't be true panography.

What about a transparent background then?
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    So then if one wanted to use panography, you are saying that the individual images around the border would need to be cropped to avoid the use of any background? If that's what you're requiring, then this wouldn't be true panography.

Well, I think......dont try to re-interpret.

My understanding is she would prefer it to be cropped to a rectangle or square within the merge so that the image goes to the edge of the crop. Leaving the inconsistancies to "show" that its a composite is up to the artist.thumb.gif
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

Okay...fair enough......and now that Im reminded about how it would appear in a gallery vs. in dgrin I cant help but agree.

Thanks.:D
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2009
    whiterice wrote:

Good thing this is a photography challenge and not a panography one, then. deal.gif

Same issue happens once it's uploaded to the gallery: white border is added to the image, so even with a transparent background, it suddenly looks like there's a black frame.
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Okay...fair enough......and now that Im reminded about how it would appear in a gallery vs. in dgrin I cant help but agree.

Yeah, gallery vs. dgrin, there are trade-offs both ways. Looks like this is one of them. Cool technique, though. If you pursue it for the challenge, I'd love to see a version posted elsewhere on DGrin showing it as you originally imagined. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Well, I think......dont try to re-interpret.

My understanding is she would prefer it to be cropped to a rectangle or square within the merge so that the image goes to the edge of the crop. Leaving the inconsistancies to "show" that its a composite is up to the artist.thumb.gif

:soapbox

Very, very respectfully:

Honestly, I am not trying to be a rabble rouser - I promise.rolleyes1.gif I'm just trying to get an understanding of the frame rule. Why is this rule in place? What is it attempting to accomplish? Is this an attempt to save other dgrinners from "rouge" photography? mwink.gif

I guess I'm not fully understanding why someone can create an image almost fully in post (which I'm ok with, BTW) but my image from last round which was generated by my camera is not ok.

Thankfully we all have different tastes/styles/preferences because otherwise photography would be very boring. Dgrin should be a welcoming, encouraging environment for artistic photography endeavors.

I like rules - but the benefits of those rules need to outweigh the disadvantages.

I feel better now!

/soapbox
    - Christopher
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Thankfully we all have different tastes/styles/preferences because otherwise photography would be very boring. Dgrin should be a welcoming, encouraging environment for artistic photography endeavors.

I like rules - but the benefits of those rules need to outweigh the disadvantages.
    Also very respectfully, DGrin is that type of environment, and we all work very hard to keep it so. The Challenges is just one area of DGrin and has some extra rules, that's all.

The frames issue was long discussed before I joined the original LPS challenges, but the original discussion on why frames are not allowed is still linked in the official rules. For a couple less clicks, here's the link again.

I love the creativity here and everyone who inspires it. Please do keep pushing the boundaries and introducing us to new things. We learn so much from it. And I learn that not every technique is going to work well within the challenges' unique setting, but there are several other forums out there that would also benefit from all y'all's creativity and are not limited by contest rules. nod.gif
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Also very respectfully, DGrin is that type of environment, and we all work very hard to keep it so. The Challenges is just one area of DGrin and has some extra rules, that's all.

I agree, DGrin is that type of environment.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. More importantly though, thanks for listening. Sometimes just the act of expressing frustration is resolution enough.

Hey - what are ya'll looking at - the show's over!! rolleyes1.gif

Now, back to #30.
    - Christopher
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    So, one weekend down, one to go. How's it going? ear.gif
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

I've got an incredibly rich palette to work from. Now if I only spoke Mandarin to talk myself into someone's work area... headscratch.gif

But, I started laying the ground work last weekend by walking a street close to where I live and gave a few prints to shops I've taken photo's of before and spending time with people just sitting and sharing a laugh at our inability to talk. I'm hoping to parley that into a 20-30 minute stint in a street shop with an owner.

I might get a shot or two.
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I've got an incredibly rich palette to work from. Now if I only spoke Mandarin to talk myself into someone's work area... headscratch.gif

But, I started laying the ground work last weekend by walking a street close to where I live and gave a few prints to shops I've taken photo's of before and spending time with people just sitting and sharing a laugh at our inability to talk. I'm hoping to parley that into a 20-30 minute stint in a street shop with an owner.

I might get a shot or two.

Oh, I envy you those surroundings! You should be able to come up with some awesome candidates for this challenge. :D
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

umm... does the portrait have to show someones face?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    umm... does the portrait have to show someones face?

Um, at least part of it, I'd say, else I'm not really certain how it'd be a portrait. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    i will likely do what i want anyway...(no surprise).
    the problem is the subjectiveness...if the judges response is parallel to yours then i know my attempt will be a waste of time, but fun eitherway...

btw, I'm referring to a symbolistic type portrait, where a reconizable face will not be included....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I'm referring to a symbolistic type portrait, where a reconizable face will not be included....

eek7.gif :lurk
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    male nipples are ok,... right? J/K
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009

My wife likes them. mwink.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    ...if the judges response is parallel to yours then i know my attempt will be a waste of time, but fun eitherway...

Since it's looking like I'll need to fill in as guest judge again, well, at least it'll be fun. And fascinating to see what the heck you're thinking. :D
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2009
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    My wife likes them. mwink.gif

whoa there big dog... to much info...lol:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009

mwink.gif You have my attention...

:lurk
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    mwink.gif You have my attention...

:lurk

Miss Donna!!! :nono We must maintain being a lady even when among the vulgar men..:lol4friday.gif

symbolical portrait.. hmm. this is gonna be interesting for sure...headscratch.gif

I want tickets..:D
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Miss Donna!!! :nono We must maintain being a lady even when among the vulgar men..:lol4friday.gif

WHY???? :D
    and I may be a woman, but noone ever accused me of being a lady
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    WHY???? :D
    and I may be a woman, but noone ever accused me of being a lady
    rolleyes1.gif

Why? because it is proper..:curtsey.. I see we are gonna have to learn ya ta be one..mwink.gif.. Ok... repeat after me..

The Rain, In Spain, Falls Mainly On The Plain..rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2009
    Kat! :D

[in my best French accent] We are not vulgar, We are artisssts!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2009
    ohh boy here we go again with the artist argument.. rolleyes1.gif.. simply no way I can win that argument..headscratch.gif.. and you know it..mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2009
    *ahem* In Hartford, Hereford, and Hampshire, hurricanes hardly ever happen. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2009
    wings.gifI knew it..!!!wings.gif

mwink.gif I just knew I could bait the Grammar Queen with My Fair Lady.. :ivar
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 5, 2009
    Kat! :D

[in my best French accent] We are not vulgar, We are artisssts!

As my quote in the bottom of my signature says.....deal.gif
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2009
    mwink.gif I just knew I could bait the Grammar Queen with My Fair Lady.. :ivar

Considering Audrey Hepburn is my favorite actress, it isn't tough to bait me with any of her films (even if she didn't sing in this one). :D I auditioned frequently with "Wouldn't It Be Loverly" back when I did musical theatre, too. Now...where the devil are my slippers? mwink.gif
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    I was late for an appointment yesterday because I just had to watch the end of Sabrina to see who was gonna get Audrey... Of course I knew all along that it would be Humphrey, but there was that little chance that maybe William would finally win out...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..