Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #31: Open or Closed

Comments

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    how about kitehnz???? LOOK rolleyes1.gif

*snrk* I almost spit coffee on my screen this made me laugh so hard. Best start to a Friday morning yet! :lol
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    So sorry to pester you with the request for a delete. rolleyes1.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    *snrk* I almost spit coffee on my screen this made me laugh so hard. Best start to a Friday morning yet! :lol

WARNING ~~~~ LCD screens and coffee do not mix well.
    Jus sayin mwink.gif

I am so glad to have started your Friday out so well.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    So sorry to pester you with the request for a delete. rolleyes1.gif

All set. thumb.gif

Sean, I wish my Friday had ended half as well as it began with zombie kitteh. Downed tree knocked out my power for the past seven hours, then my natural gas alarm went off, and I spent my evening calling firemen, the gas company, and my plumber before settling down and trying not to move since it's so blasted hot without A/C. :whew

On the upside, I got a lot of reading in!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Aaaarrghhh! You poor thing. Dunno about down there, but the megastorm that blew in droppped the temps 20 degrees in an hour up here - it's still gross (humidity, anybody?!) but it is a bit cooler...

I PM'd you, btw. If you can download, you'll have LOADS of fun listening to keep you company during the next power outage... :D
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    All set. thumb.gif

Sean, I wish my Friday had ended half as well as it began with zombie kitteh. ....
    On the upside, I got a lot of reading in!

Note to self... Do not post Laughing.gif catz or risk inflicting coffee stained LCD monitors, fallen trees, gas leaks and scorching temperature fluctuations. :twitch
  • Options
    NetterNetter Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    I have one for you to delete! Thanks so much!
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Speak- A - Da- English People...friday.gif

Greek, Greek and more Greek..:devbobo

I understood "Tim Curry"... but that is a whole other story that gives my oldest son the creeps. rolleyes1.gif

I'm really thinking he was switched at birth.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    And another round comes to a "close." :D
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    Three DQs this round. :cry

Taken before challenge start date: Eia.
    No EXIF: lizzard_nyc.
    No username (and taken before challenge start date): 625307802_sUcmU-Th.jpg
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Hi Lewellyn,
    Ok I asked where my photo was on the challenge 31 thread (w/ all the other entries)--sorry about that, I was just so bummed not to see my photo there.

This was my photo.
    627288441_5rTkn-L.jpg

How do I get the exif info in there? I mean I know it's too late for this challenge now. But just so I know for next time.

Well it's a relief that it was the Exif info that got me booted--was thinking my material offended peoplerolleyes1.gif

I had fun trying anyway--just let me know about the Exif please.

Thanks.
    Liz A.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    AH--you just answered on the other thread!
    Thanks for the info...Big time bummer for me though.

I know a couple of people helped with tips when I first submitted my idea-Kat, whiterice, Kara--going from memory here. I'd still like to know what you think--was this any better ya'll?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    How do I get the exif info in there? I mean I know it's too late for this challenge now. But just so I know for next time.

The biggest culprit I've found behind stripped EXIF usually involves how the image was edited. If you're exporting from Lightroom, be sure "minimize meta data" is not checked. If editing in Photoshop, don't save as a .PSD during your process. I've found that this strips the EXIF, so save as a .TIFF instead. If you aren't using either of those programs, let us know what you are using and maybe someone else in the community can help narrow down the cause. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    The biggest culprit I've found behind stripped EXIF usually involves how the image was edited. If you're exporting from Lightroom, be sure "minimize meta data" is not checked. If editing in Photoshop, don't save as a .PSD during your process. I've found that this strips the EXIF, so save as a .TIFF instead. If you aren't using either of those programs, let us know what you are using and maybe someone else in the community can help narrow down the cause. thumb.gif

Yes! Thank you.
    Not using any of the above.
    All I have available to me is the Olympus E620 Masters editing software that came with my camera and then I go to Picnik on smugmug for the other little bits.
    That's it.

Also my camera acted up (ok I pressed something, but I don't know what I pressed) while I was shooting, so at one point I had to reset it to "factory setting" so I could get it back to normal--could that have done it?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:

EXIF data is rare and fragile, like a delicate flower. I've even had otherwise well behaved software (PTLens, I'm looking at you!) garble data in it.

A best practice is to verify that the EXIF is correct after uploading. That way you have time to try to correct whatever happened before the challenge ends.

And if you think it's bad now, you should have seen the EXIF mess when they were doing challenge entries directly in threads. Posting into a gallery has been a major step forward.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    Can you guys do me a favor then.
    Can you go to my smugmug site--no laughing please.
    http://lizzardnyc.smugmug.com/Other/Challenge-31/9371265_YDhXB#627288441_5rTkn
    photo 21--I click on the photo then on photo info and it gives me the photo info--that is the exif right? That's after the editing.

Then I couldn't upload the photo the way I normally upload to dgrin. So I saved the photo to my documents/pictures, then uploaded that photo by using "browse" and selecting the individual image to the challenge thread.

This is making me want to pull my hair!
    Maybe I need to find a new way to upload it to the challenge thread, since the info is in my smugmug site, or so it seems.

Appreciate your help ya'll.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Can you guys do me a favor then.
    Can you go to my smugmug site--no laughing please.
    http://lizzardnyc.smugmug.com/Other/Challenge-31/9371265_YDhXB#627288441_5rTkn
    photo 21--I click on the photo then on photo info and it gives me the photo info--that is the exif right? That's after the editing.

Then I couldn't upload the photo the way I normally upload to dgrin. So I saved the photo to my documents/pictures, then uploaded that photo by using "browse" and selecting the individual image to the challenge thread.

This is making me want to pull my hair!
    Maybe I need to find a new way to upload it to the challenge thread, since the info is in my smugmug site, or so it seems.

Appreciate your help ya'll.

Yep. Photo 21 has EXIF info.

Are you saving using the owner save button? Or through some other method?
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    A workaround if you have the same problem next time is to add a "exif info found here" link to your original shot (useful for multiple-image composites, or for when the exif somehow gets stripped as it appears to have in your shot).

FWIW, I use the smugmug-Picasa uploader for my own account and the challenges, and it's worked perfectly every time.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    Yep. Photo 21 has EXIF info.

Are you saving using the owner save button? Or through some other method?

I right clicked on it and saved it to my documents/photos on my computer and that's what I uploaded to the challenges thread.

Is there a way to upload directly from the smugmug site?
    The usual way I do it is by getting the link photo info etc.
    but I dont' think I can use that same method to upload to the challenge correct? so I did it the other way and apparently now the EXIF is gone.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    A workaround if you have the same problem next time is to add a "exif info found here" link to your original shot (useful for multiple-image composites, or for when the exif somehow gets stripped as it appears to have in your shot).

Ah! then that is what I will do...for next time:(

Thanks Divamum--Thanks all for the hand.

Hate EXIF!!!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    I right clicked on it and saved it to my documents/photos on my computer and that's what I uploaded to the challenges thread.

Is there a way to upload directly from the smugmug site?
    The usual way I do it is by getting the link photo info etc.
    but I dont' think I can use that same method to upload to the challenge correct? so I did it the other way and apparently now the EXIF is gone.

Picasa. Free, decent quickie editor, and there's a Smugmug plugin for it which works beautifully.

(ETA I see you already replied to my prior post, but I n ever lose a chance to plug Picasa. I think it's a great tool, expecially if you don't have LR to act as catalog-ing software. And FREE is good! lol)
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    Liz, I suspect the right-click "Save As" is the culprit. You can take Mark's suggestion of using the "Owner Save" button when you're logged in on your site to ensure you download a copy with the EXIF in tact (and testing after you upload). I'd recommend that however you upload to your personal Smugmug is the same way you should upload to the Challenges gallery.

One of these things is bound to work for you. :D
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    [(ETA I see you already replied to my prior post, but I n ever lose a chance to plug Picasa. I think it's a great tool, expecially if you don't have LR to act as catalog-ing software. And FREE is good! lol)[/quote]

I'll take free! and anything that will make it easier to upload to dgrin:)
    Thanks.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    [One of these things is bound to work for you. :D[/quote]

I will see you guys at the next challenge:D
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    [(ETA I see you already replied to my prior post, but I n ever lose a chance to plug Picasa. I think it's a great tool, expecially if you don't have LR to act as catalog-ing software. And FREE is good! lol)

I'll take free! and anything that will make it easier to upload to dgrin:)
    Thanks.[/QUOTE]
    It is a good little editor for small fixes. The only thing I don't like are the "auto" enhances... but who likes those anyway? and OH SO simple to upload photos!
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    [It is a good little editor for small fixes. The only thing I don't like are the "auto" enhances... but who likes those anyway? and OH SO simple to upload photos![/quote]

Hi Donna,
    Will give it a go. I've never used it and it sounds better by the second.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    AH--you just answered on the other thread!
    Thanks for the info...Big time bummer for me though.

I know a couple of people helped with tips when I first submitted my idea-Kat, whiterice, Kara--going from memory here. I'd still like to know what you think--was this any better ya'll?

Hi Liz,

Bummer.. Sorry that happened to you.. EXIF drove me nuts when I first started too... Here are some tips..

First, a lot of programs out there strip it out.. especially HDR programs as I have learned the hard way..

Always upload to your own smugmug to verify it is there. However, I would not suggest keeping that as your only copy... "keep" the one you uploaded from your hard drive on your hard drive, and then once verified, upload that same one from your hard drive to the challenge gallery... I think Kerry is correct in that it was the right click and save that gotcha here..

Always have a separate folder on your desktop for the SOOC originals or RAWS that you shoot too, in case you need to recover the data..

I would suggest using the GIMP if you don't have photoshop... the online pic nic program is ok for touch ups, but you really need a program that will let you save layers and history so that you can go back and make edits without having to start all over again. Plus it is going to behoove you to learn to edit on adjustment layers so you can preserve your image quality.

I think it is safe to say that it was not your editing program since your first upload to smug shows your exif..

I liked the re-work on your image by the way, but wish ya would have kept the door knobs on there and the more colorful lipstick to tie it together.

The next theme is awesome..wings.gif good luck and hope to see your entry for that one too..

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    I would suggest using the GIMP if you don't have photoshop... the online pic nic program is ok for touch ups, but you really need a program that will let you save layers and history so that you can go back and make edits without having to start all over again. Plus it is going to behoove you to learn to edit on adjustment layers so you can preserve your image quality.

Kat
    I use Picasa for my small edits and uploads though. easier than Gimp for a minor thing and a very simple way to load. (altogether I probably use 4 or 5 different programs, all because of different things they do)
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    I use Picasa for my small edits and uploads though. easier than Gimp for a minor thing and a very simple way to load. (altogether I probably use 4 or 5 different programs, all because of different things they do)

15524779-Ti.gif

I have CS3, Lightroom and PIcasa, and I still shoose to use Picasa to import and upload, as well as using it as my "quickie" catalog browser. LR is great and I DO use it a lot, but I really find Picasa the easiest for the quickie stuff, not least of which because it's less of a resource hog and runs faster on the average computer.... :D
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2009
    Hi Liz,

Bummer.. Sorry that happened to you.. EXIF drove me nuts when I first started too... Here are some tips..

I liked the re-work on your image by the way, but wish ya would have kept the door knobs on there and the more colorful lipstick to tie it together.

The next theme is awesome..wings.gif good luck and hope to see your entry for that one too..

Kat

Hey Kat,
    Thanks about the re-work--Same lipstick btw-just went crazy on smugmug picnik eiditing with the ortonish, holgaish, vibrance, cross-processing options and just piled them on--I liked the final edit, however I couldn't remember how I got that color red before, couldn't duplicate it. I stopped when my husband walked up behind me and said "wow, that looks foul!"--I thought Bingo! that's what I was going forrolleyes1.gif .

I'm already moving on to the next challenge--got an idea brewing.

Thanks for all the tips. Will look into GIMP tonight.
    Liz A.
    _________