Options

*** dgrin worldwide sky shoot 2005 ***

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 27, 2005 in The Big Picture
mod edit: i'm posting this for mongrel, who's organizing this event. this is the official information thread. please, only mongrel should post to this thread.

if you have questions, comments, etc, please post them in this comments thread.

Mongrel wrote:

I'm going to go ahead and set the date\time on the 'unnofficial' Dgrin Sky Challenge 2005 for:

Tuesday June 21, 2005 at 7pm GMT

For some of us it will already be June 22, but that's ok :D

Hurry up and let me know if this is OK....

I'd like to wait until Andy gets back and make sure this is cool, and request that a Sky Challenge sign up thread be stickied. This is so we can all log in if we are going to participate and where we will be shooting from.

NOW-

After giving it some thought, I think it would be best that we shoot *whatever* the most interesting view of the sky we can find for that date and time. Rather than limit it in anyway this will allow us some leeway for creativity and such. I *highly* suggest we shoot as wide as possible :D
(Andy will go easier on me if we do...:rofl )

Thanks again for all the positive interest in this idea, I look forward to seeing the results if we can pull it off.

(Also, if a moderator would be so kind to let me know whether I have overstepped my bounds by posting and pursuing this I would appreciate it. I *honestly* don't want to appear too aggresive :uhoh )

Well, let's see....

In order to 'see' what time it will be where you are at 9pm GMT on June 21 take a look here:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=6&day=21&year=2005&hour=20&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

If that chart is correct, in Sydney and Brisbane Australia, it will be 7am. Not so good for our friends in and around Perth-5am there.

In Anchorage Alaska it will be 1:00pm.

In New Zealand (Wellington) you should be fine-9am there.

Not so good for points east London over to Singapore (it will be 5am there).

Ok, so what do we do?

Easy: We do the 'challenge' TWICE. One for 9pm GMT and one for 9AM GMT!
This way no matter where you live, you will have a *shot* :D in the *dark* AND a *shot* in the *light* :thumb

Now, Behr brought up a very good point. Because this is a weekday many of us will be unable to participate due to work constraints. So....

How about we move the "Sky Challenge 2005 Part I" up a few days to Sat. June 18 at 9pm GMT? We would then be in a Sat\Sun period which may make this whole thing more enjoyable. I doubt very much we will miss the few minutes of daylight by not going for it on the 21st. And we still get a pretty chunk 'o the moon :wink

Comments

• Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Thanks Andy!
    Well Folks, here we go. After mulling it over and considering all suggestions and options I had to 'go for it' and make a decision.

Official date and time for the Digital Grin Worldwide Sky Shoot 2005 (Phase 1) will be:

Saturday June 18\Sunday June 19 at 9pm GMT SHARP :D

NOTE: If possible, carry a compass to record the direction of your shot. It will give us an idea of which way you were facing.

Following is a link already setup for that date and time. Find your city or one close by for your shooting time. Also, it would be a good idea to synchronize your watch\clock to GMT *before* you go out to shoot rolleyes1.gif Don't forget to set the clock in your cams also, EXIF will be checked deal.gif

LINK: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=6&day=18&year=2005&hour=21&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

My apologies in advance if you happen to fall into one of the dark spots. I will understand if you choose not to participate. However, there will be almost a full moon at that time so you may want to get your tripod out and give it a go.

Depending on the response to 'Phase 1', I would like to have a 'Phase 2' using 9am GMT. I would like to set that up for the next moon phase. We'll see how it goes.

I'll communicate with Andy about where to put the shots and other stuff.

Thanks again to everyone for the great response and support of this idea, I'm looking forward to the pitchas' thumb.gif
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2005
    For the time being....
    upload your skyshoot photo to the dgrin skyshoot gallery:

the dgrin 2005 worldwide sky shoot gallery

dgrin
    skyshoot

(if you're a smugmug user, you must logout of your account)

Please post your location and any other data you feel is pertinent to your shot- do it in the caption.

Direction taken
    Temperature
    Why you chose the shot you did and what it represents to you.

NO FRAMES or other adornments, please. AND BE SURE TO PUT YOUR NAME IN THE CAPTION, TOO.

Thanks,

Mongrel
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    From Maui
    Kalama Park, Kihei, Hawaii 96753
    N 20º 43.882"
    W 156º 27.146"
    Shot straight up under a palm tree...Ahhhhh, paradise!
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2005
    ok here's mine
    This is the Hudson River Valley, looking south as seen from near Bear Mountain, New York. Lat: 41.29N, Lon: 73.92W shot taken at 5pm eastern time, June 18th, 2005

25354750-L.jpg
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited June 18, 2005
    Mine
    Center of DuPage County, Illinois, USA at 4pm local time. At a park about a mile from my home. 41.878º N x 88.067º W. Weather was 70º F slight overcast and breezy. North is at the center of the image

skyshoot2005b_small.jpg

This has no EXIF, as Panorama Factory and other editing does not preserve this information. I have a control pic with EXIF if need be.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    NO LIGHT !! :cry 1st overcast day in donkeys years & it had to be today.

7am sunday 19th

25356082-M.jpg
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    This was taken looking north-northeast from the Charles River Esplanade in Boston, Massachusetts at 5 p.m. local and 9 p.m. gmt on June 18, 2005. You can see the remnants of the fog we had this morning and the overcast weather we had until early afternoon moving off towards the northeast. To see exif go to http://flyinggina.smugmug.com/photos/25355461-L.jpg.

25355461-L.jpg

Email
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    Reach for the sky.

44979753.jpg

Facing Northwest in our backyard in St Paul, Mn. USA

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    Rotterdam, Holland, 22:01

25357548-L.jpg
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    From Mount Scopus, Jerusalem, Israel, looking SSW at 00:00 local time -

25358279-L.jpg

A beautiful collection so far!! Mongrel - fantastic ideathumb.gif !!

I'm going to sleep now. I will catch up and add details in the morning. good night guys!

** Back after a few hours sleep - fantastic shots everyone!

Here are a few details about my shot:

The Mosque of Omar (bottom center), also known as the Dome of the Rock, was built by Caliph Abd-el-Malik in the 7th century on Temple Mount, the site of the Temple of Solomon. The latter was destroyed by the Romans in 70 CE. Regarded by Moslems as the site from which the prophet Muhammad ascended to heaven, and by Jews and Christians as the place where Isaac was nearly sacrificed.

The shrine was covered by a lead dome until it was replaced with a gold-colored covering in 1965. Because of rust, the anodized aluminum cover was again replaced in 1993 with a gold covering.

Middle East politics propose a threat to this location and ancient prophecies of armagedon are related to this site.

In this worldwide project, the Dgrin Worldwide Sky Shoot 2005, I wanted to shoot a location significant to Jerusalem. I chose to shoot from Mount Scopus (31.793N 35.242E), the Eastern most ridge in Jerusalem, bordering the Judean Desert, in order to get the mosque and the moon in the frame. Although the sky was dark at 00:00 local time (21:00GMT) I'm very happy with the result as I feel it screams "Jerusalem".

Taken with Canon 20d with Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM @ 105mm, ISO200.
    One f/11 2.5s frame processed twice and blended for dynamic range in bottom of photo.
    Second frame f/11 1/100s shot within seconds for moon exposure and blended in image.

A daylight photo of the mosque HERE

and a historic view HERE

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    Lovely Pacifica, California
    25357659-M.jpg

Latitude 37.63, Longitude -122.48. 59 degrees, sunny. Saturday June 18, 2005, 2 p.m.

At the edge of the Pacific Ocean I'm facing east over the Sharp Park Golf Course. These trees have a difficult existance, salt, wind, storms but they hang on. In honor of their tenacity I chose them for the shoot.
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    Sea Cliff New York
    Taken in Sea Clif NY overlooking Hempstead Harbor. I would love if we could do more of these at different times....

25357383-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2005
    Well....I guess I have to put one up...
    Here's mine:

Medford NJ, USA (39n54, 74w49), 5pm EST looking East. Shot over Johnson's Farm, one of the last working farms in my hometown.

25357901-L.jpg

Note: Please leave this one *out* of the coffee table book rolleyes1.gif

Some great shots above-Andy looks like ya' kicked this one in the butt thumb.gif Cover shot for sure.

Mongrel
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    Edmonton, Alberta Jun 18th 3:00pm local time

Raining to beat the band ... expecting Noah's Ark to float along any time ...

25361661-L.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    Mt Pleasant, South Carolina
    Around the corner, kinda, from where I live.
    This is north or west, depending on who you ask, never ask
    for directions in Charleston.
    Direction is strange here, and I didn't even think about a compass.
    Humungus, it was starting to drizzle, turned into real rain.
    (Best darn unknown bird I will ever shoot)

It was between this photo and another, killing me....... and my husband
    liked a third. ginger (reshoot called for!)

25363315-L.jpg
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    Rained on me.. then it stopped and then I grabbed this.. Harvard Pond, Athol Massachusetts USA. 6/18/2005 17:00 hours 1/500 F11 ISO 200 24-70mm lens

25365549-L.jpg
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    I actually remembered, small miracle :D
    This shot was take in near vertical, slightly SouthWest in Reno, Nevada at 2pm. I was in a housing tract so I figured no house was better than a bunch of houses. The forcast was for showersne_nau.gif.

Chris

Camera Make: SONY
    Camera Model: DSC-V3
    Image Date: 2005:06:18 14:00:27
    Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
    Aperture: f/8.0
    ISO equiv: 100
    Exposure Bias: -2.00
    White Balance: Auto

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    Dang! You'd think higgmeister and I were at the same place. This was taken in an area of the Pine Barrens called Mount.

Coordinates: 39 41.123n 74 36.357w looking dead north.

25367580-M.jpg

View EXIF here:http://behr655.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=25367580
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    I wanted to contribute and this is not much of a photo but got home at 2 so shot one .LOS ANGELES very bright ,windy and no clouds temp 75 [ you should have been here yesterday ]
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited June 18, 2005
    Pigeon Point Lighthouse, 37.18N 122.39W.

25371847-M.jpg

The beach is one of my favorite places. And today, it didn't disappoint thumb.gif
    Looking North towards Half Moon Bay.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2005
    who took this shot? please update your caption info in the dgrin.smugmug.com gallery, thanks.

ALSO PLEASE: Load the shots into the dgrin.smugmug.com gallery (info in first post on this thread... i just had to load up like 10 photos... :uhoh

25373255-L.jpg
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 18, 2005
    Los Angeles
    June gloom left us for the day to allow for postcard picture perfection. I think it was in the mid 70s, quite breezy and sunny.
    I don't know our longitude and latitude.

Mongrel, this was a fantastic idea, thanks so much for organizing it. I hope JeffW gets a shot in. We were in touch via phone and he was fighting traffic to get back to his camera in time.

I bumped into a photog from dpreview (?) named Marq. I told him what we were doing today and he seemed VERY jealous :) I may have converted him to dGrin and smugmug :D

25373486-L.jpg
    My border disappeared so I copied the details here:
    Los Angeles, 2pm June 18th. Looking southwest from Echo Park Lake towards Downtown.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i just had to load up like 10 photos... :uhoh
    Ta mate
    Think of it as a Cherry Ripe down payment thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2005
    Listen Up Folks!
    The Chief just informed me people aren't uploading the pics and info here:

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/601861

According to instructions.

PLEASE, put your uploads in the dgrin skyshoot gallery above BEFORE you post the pic here. Ya'll are making too much work for the big guy and like they say....it's rolling down hill :D

Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Mongrel
  • Options
    AnsonAnson Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    eek7.gif Sorry Andy...

thought that I posted correctly ...
    It appears to be there now.
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/601861/1/25373255/Large
    I did redo my caption a couple of times, perhaps you popped in on the photo, as I was editing my proseheadscratch.gif ?

re: my photo! (we never stop learning, aye)...as I have never had the need for the internal camera clock...I did not realize that the clock, does not self correct for daylight savings time:uhoh
    ...hence the discrepancy of time on the EXIF
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    Oh, thanks, sorry, g (no clue, so excited forgot to read instructions)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
    I was out shooting the Solstice Parade in north Seattle but I took a break from the parade to shoot my shot. This shot was taken on the north part of Lake Union (N47.65 W122.34) looking south-southeast. The buildings that are just right of the center of the image are downtown Seattle. The Space Needle is obscured by the hill on the right (which is the Queen Anne neighborhood).

It was really cool to think that at T-3 minutes there were dozens of people around the world preparing to take a picture just like I was.

25369722-L.jpg

Incidentally every time I told someone that I went to the Solstice parade after it was over asked if there were a lot of naked people. Apparently it is known for that.

Yes, there were lots and lots of naked people. Not that I have a problem with that.

Except for naked guys on bikes maybe.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
    Conejo valley, 91362
    Panorama of Thousand Oaks, taken at 2 PM local time.
    Sony 828, tripod.

25386791-L.jpg

Original is here, it's fairly large (due to the nature of the merge:-).
    The gallery of originals is here.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
    What?! Is that it?!

Where are you guys (or rather where were you guys)? ne_nau.gif

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    What?! Is that it?!

Where are you guys (or rather where were you guys)? ne_nau.gif
    I know!! I'm hoping there will be more!! I'm sure Gubbsy will have taken one...and Doctorit?ne_nau.gif