Options

Help me spend 2K-- to get a camera for my day job

lisarhinehartlisarhinehart Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
edited October 31, 2009 in Cameras
Hello all :)
I have a budget (max of 2k) to spend on a camera (read: body, lens, flash-- everything) in the next month. I have been using my own equipment to shoot for 7 years, and recently obtained funds (up to $2,000) to purchase something for my workplace that I could use instead. The problem-- I have spent a lot more than 2k on my current set of equipment.

They were happy with the stuff I took on my power-shot, but much more happy with the 50D stuff. I would shoot all kinds of things for them-- mostly people at events-- plenty of them poorly lit or in close quarters. I remember with the powershot, I found needing a better flash, higher ISO, and better bokeh (like what you get with a prime lens) what I needed.

*At first I was thinking a 50D with 50 mm and 580ex, but then the crop factor with the 50 wouldn't be as all purpose as I'd like. It would work with low light and for people, but not the close quarters. I can just see me still needing to bring in my own lenses, better than bringing everything, but for that reason I'm still looking.

*Then someone mentioned the g9(?) might be good b/c then people other than me could use it and would have a lens that covers a wide range like a point and shoot, but with better quality. I woudl have plenty of $$$ left to add a flash, but on that little camera(?). Plus, I've never used one.

What do you think? What would you purchase if in my position?
Lisa
My Website

Comments

• Options
    du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    You can pick up a 40d in the $700 range, A 580ex somewhere around $300-400, which will still leave about $900-$1000 for glass and other accessories. If you're using flash, you can get away with something like a 70-200/4 L.

Because it sounds like a lot of flash is used, pick up a couple of Vivitar 285HV's and a set of Pocket Wizards and go Off Camera. I'm pretty sure you can even mount them to the camera for walk around stuff, you just don't get E-TTL.

Lots of options. :)

Good Luck. Gotta love being able to spend other people's money!
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • Options
    jm94085jm94085 Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Lisa,

Seems like a lens like the Canon 24-70 2.8L would be a great versatile lens for what your trying to accomplish and where you'd spend the most money for your setup.

You could certianly pair that with a used 40D or 50D and either the 580 EX II or 430 EX II.

I think to get it all within your budget the magical pairing would be a 40D + 430 EX II + 24-70 2.8L.

Cheers,
    John
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    I'd be tempted to go for a Panasonic GF1 with both the 20mm f/1.7 prime and 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 lenses, plus a compatible flash unit. This should be way better than a P&S while not being all that much larger or more complicated. It should be well within your $2k budget, too.

Other than that, I think du8die is right that a 40D can be found inexpensively. You might pair it with a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM ($400) for general zoom work, plus either the EF 35mm f/2 ($300) or the EF 50mm f/1.4 ($400) for low light without flash. Then add a 430 EX II flash and whatever other accessories you want (memory cards, spare battery, shoulder bag...).

Fortunately, it's Canon rebate season right now. The rebates aren't all that impressive, but every little bit helps.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    this depends..you mention other people might use it. If that is the case then the new panasonic GF1 is a perfect compromise. Easer to use then the SLR for others but great quality and such. If you intend to e the primary user and you intend to stick around the compnay for a while..40D + flash + 24-70mm 2.8 wou;d be good.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    If other people (not all of them serious photographers) are going to use the camera, then I really don't think spending $1000+ on a Canon L lens is a good idea. How long will it take for someone to drop it or scratch the front or rear elements? The EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 isn't L quality or L price, but for a consumer-grade zoom it's pretty decent. Spend the money you save on a cheap prime or two.

• Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Hello all :)
    I have a budget (max of 2k) to spend on a camera (read: body, lens, flash-- everything) in the next month. I have been using my own equipment to shoot for 7 years, and recently obtained funds (up to $2,000) to purchase something for my workplace that I could use instead. The problem-- I have spent a lot more than 2k on my current set of equipment.

They were happy with the stuff I took on my power-shot, but much more happy with the 50D stuff. I would shoot all kinds of things for them-- mostly people at events-- plenty of them poorly lit or in close quarters. I remember with the powershot, I found needing a better flash, higher ISO, and better bokeh (like what you get with a prime lens) what I needed.

*At first I was thinking a 50D with 50 mm and 580ex, but then the crop factor with the 50 wouldn't be as all purpose as I'd like. It would work with low light and for people, but not the close quarters. I can just see me still needing to bring in my own lenses, better than bringing everything, but for that reason I'm still looking.

*Then someone mentioned the g9(?) might be good b/c then people other than me could use it and would have a lens that covers a wide range like a point and shoot, but with better quality. I woudl have plenty of $$$ left to add a flash, but on that little camera(?). Plus, I've never used one.

What do you think? What would you purchase if in my position?

Regardless of which camera, assuming a DSLR, you get have you considered the Tamron 17-50 2.8? A number of us have the non-stabilized version and really like it. It would give you the wider end for the close quarters and 2.8 for the dimmer areas.

Jane B.

PS Seeing the replys made while I was composing mine I can't get over how many have suggested a lens that STARTS at 20 something given that she said "mostly people at events-- plenty of them poorly lit or in close quarters." Aren't those long for close quarters?
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Since "other" people will have access to it and will want to use it I "3rd" the Panny GF1 with the pancake lens, the 14-45 (or whatever it is) and whatever small flash Panasonic makes to stick on top.

APC DSLR IQ and they can use it just like their P&S cameras "they" have at home.

Gene
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    Are you committed to Canon?

The GF1 is an option as has been mentioned, I would seriously look at the G1 as well.

For something not much bigger but allowing for a greater range of lenses you should check out the Olympus E-620, you can buy fast, affordable lenses with your budget, a flash, not worry about dust, and it has built in IS.

And if you want to be close to the 50D level a Nikon D90 gets you there with more money for glass.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited October 27, 2009
    ... I would shoot all kinds of things for them-- mostly people at events-- plenty of them poorly lit or in close quarters. I remember with the powershot, I found needing a better flash, higher ISO, and better bokeh (like what you get with a prime lens) what I needed. ...

Lisa, it sounds like you would be most comfortable using a dSLR and for event stuff in low-light it makes perfect sense.

I suggest that a crop 1.5x/1.6x camera from Canon or Nikon of relatively recent manufacture would work nicely and the chances of finding a good used copy easily are excellent.

Couple that with a Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di II and a Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash and you are on your way to a system.

I just shot an event 2 weekends ago with a Canon 40D, the EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM (close enough to the Tamron above) and a Sigma flash. I am very pleased with the results. The event was in a typical "dungeon", i.e. ambient lighting deprived, and the system worked nicely together.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    I'd suggest a 5D (not MKII) and a 50mm. If you NEED the 580's power, then go with it, but maybe even step down to a 430EX.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Lisa, it sounds like you would be most comfortable using a dSLR and for event stuff in low-light it makes perfect sense.

I suggest that a crop 1.5x/1.6x camera from Canon or Nikon of relatively recent manufacture would work nicely and the chances of finding a good used copy easily are excellent.

Couple that with a Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di II and a Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash and you are on your way to a system.

I just shot an event 2 weekends ago with a Canon 40D, the EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM (close enough to the Tamron above) and a Sigma flash. I am very pleased with the results. The event was in a typical "dungeon", i.e. ambient lighting deprived, and the system worked nicely together.

Off topic for a second, I have a friend looking for a low budget flash and would be very interested in which Sigma flash you are using/your impressions.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    OK, change of direction.

You say you have been using your gear for 7 years.

I don't know anything about your employment, but if your a high paid executive my thoughts would be suck it and buy your own gear. If however your a worker bee then I believe you have been taken advantage of.

It wouldn't be out of line for your employer to flat out give you the $2000 as appreciation for the access to your gear and skills.

This $2000 can be used to upgrade your camera gear, allow you to produce even better images, and help financially cover the wear and tear on your equipment.

This works out to being paid an extra $23.81 per month.

Spending $2000 on an event camera set up isn't going to get you a great setup. It won't equal what you have now and would be a step down.

If however you took the $2000 and added this to your gear you would have a much better set up and your company would continue to be able to use your skills. and enjoy even better images.

Just a thought.

Sam
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    This sounds to me like exactly what micro 4/3 was made for.

You can dream up all manner of APS-C configurations, but point-and-shoot familiarity, strong mid-focal-length IQ and compact size sounds about right. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2009
    more detail
    Wow, thanks for all the responses. You are all such a great group! We have gotten personal in this thread, I guess it's what I get for posting a personal question, lol.

I just recently purchased my current gear set up (not even a year ago), but having it, and depending on it to shoot people's weddings, made me start to think about finding a way to not use my own camera at work. I was able to work out this 2k deal which I think is sweet, and can get me much better than our current set up.

Company camera? The work camera is p&s and just awful. It's from staples and the key feature is that you can set it on a dock that prints 4x6s at the touch of a button while also re-charging the batteries-- complete junk, but everyone else thought it was the greatest thing. My assistant and I would be the only ones able to use this one, and it'd probably be 99% me. I would just put it on all auto modes for her if I'd need to be in the shot for some reason.

Will I be there long? Who knows? I originally had my arm twisted into signing a 1 year contract, and here I am 7 1/2 years later, still loving it. It would be good if someone other than me could use the camera, but not a must beyond my assistant. They could always sell it on craigslist or something. Plus, what they have gotten out of me for the last several years and what they will get out of me as long as I stay would be worth the investment, even if I only stay a couple more years. I have used my pics for PR materials and grants and all kinds of things that have positively impacted us as an organization.

Hmm??? I am not familiar at all with the Panasonic gf1, G1 or the micro 4/3, so I will look into those models. I would like to stay with canon if possible just b/c that what I'm used to so it would be natural to me. I'm not sure how much of a pain it would be to learn a different system, as I've not tried it before. Now that you have more info from me, would you still make the same suggestion? I like the idea of having lots of money left for all the little accessories.

40D? 5D? The suggestion that I'd have the most familiarity with is the 5D w/ 50mm and speed light, which I would love, but i think this would take me way over budget. I didn't mention batts, bag and mem cards, before, but they would be needed as well. I love that idea if I can afford it-- total quality. Are their auto settings on it? I've never used one. As for the 40D it woudl be good, and similar to my 50D but the crop factor woudl cause me to look for wider quality prime, I love the 50, but have to be so far away with that crop.

Sam, you are quite gutsy, thanks for speaking your mind:). I can give you my boss's number, maybe you can talk her into writing me the check, wink wink. If i didn't work for a non-profit, I would be in a different situation. I love taking pics, so if i can be at work getting paid for taking them, while also promoting our non-profit and getting experience shooting, I have no complaints-- more fun than other things I have to do at work. (This is another topic all together, but I am thinking I maybe should get credit below my pics instead of the organization, but then again it's on their dime)

Well, this is a lot of info to sift through, thanks for taking the time to read it!

--Lisa
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2009
    craig d has a great suggestion on the 4/3 crop cam....Oly is another option forthis also.....great cameras and great glass also....now if you're set on keeping with canon because that is what you know take a look at a Sigma 17-70...it is a variable aperture lens but a great lens as I have heard from other photogs....if I had not had a Nikon 18-70 pretty much given to me then I would be jumping on the Sigma 17-70 as Ilive all of my Siggy lenses...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    I think I might have found THE ONE :)
    OK, so i shopped around a bit.

I found a 7d for $1k (body only), 50mm for $400 and 580exII for $400! That would give me about $200 for mem cards, bag and batts/chargers!!! That should be pretty close, no?

It would meet my low light, close quarters needs with the ISO and f1.4, while also meeting my wishes for a prime lens-- love the clarity and bokeh. I also love that it has more focus points, and that I can put it on "green square' "af" "ettl" for my assistant when she uses it occasionally. Has anyone owned both a 50D and 7d that can give me an idea of the differences, since that is what I'm used to using? Are there other downsides I should consider?

I checked out the souped-up point and shoots and feel that it would be a good direction to go if this option doesn't work out. Going through the menus and having to use smaller apps and re-learning a new camera would be the downsides, but the price and accessibility for other users would be nice.

Any thoughts on the 7D? It's gently used and selling from Screentek ac ompany out of TX with 77 reviews in the last year averaging 5 stars. I checked out google and didn't find anything scammy, it seems that they repair broken lcd screens, so I'd feel comfortable and even be excited in buying it, but would like to hear any comments from you, first.

--Lisa

PS They also have a Nikon D80 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-135mm AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens for a little over $700. If i have to, I'd rather get accostomed to a Nikon SLR than go with another brand and have to go back to all those p&s menus and small apps-- that was not fun. I would be curious to try using both canon and nikon since so many people war about it, lol
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    The 7D price sounds too good to be true. It's a brand new camera and is selling for $1699, body only.

You should wait and see if some other members might have more information for you on that company.

Wayne G
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Familiar
    Last year I bought a 3rd body for my studio. I had been using a 20d as a back up and my main camera was a 5d; When I decided to double shoot a New Year's Eve party last year i realized that the 20d didn't have the low light performance I needed even with the 50 1.2 lens or the 24-70 2.8; When I started looking at getting the 50d as the 2nd camera, I realized that it would be best for my set up to get a duplicate camera so that it would be familiar to me. I did get another 5d but went for the MK2 - the feel is the same and only a minor difference in using the controls.

In your case and since it's not your money, I would get another 50d, a 580exII and I would get a 24-105 lens. Because it's not your money and you don't want to have a problem with anything used and no warranty, I'd buy new gear. If this was a teeny bit over budget, then i would consider a lesser lens, but the 24-105 is my go to lens for travel, events and studio work as well as the 50 1.2 but for a crop camera I'd consider the 50 1.8 for $75.00 or so as a 2nd lens. a nice go to lens that I use is the 28-300 Tamron VR for $550. You could couple the 50 1.4 as a 2nd low light lens with that an be under budget and have all your focal lengths covered. In a pinch, you can always use a dslr as a point and shoot in P mode.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    waygard33 wrote:
    The 7D price sounds too good to be true. It's a brand new camera and is selling for $1699, body only.

You should wait and see if some other members might have more information for you on that company.

Wayne G

I have to agree with Wayne. The 7D just came out and someone's selling one for that little, even used? If it were your own money you were spending, I'd be a little less concerned, but I really strongly recommend not taking chances with your employer's money.

• Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    As I asked earlier, WHY are so many of you suggesting lenses that start at say 24mm on a 1.6 crop camera when she mentioned shooting in close quarters? The suggestions of a lens that starts at 17mm (by any mfg. be it Canon, Tamron, or someone else) seem to me much more useful.

Jane B.

PS In checking the 7D it is still a 1.6 crop and if 50mm is too long on earlier 1.6 crops it would still be.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    hmm I think I'm getting closer....
    Yes the price does sound too good to be true. It is on amazon though. Have any of you heard of companies taking advantage of used pages on Amazon? I was also thinking it didn't have a crop factor, if it still has one that wouldn't be good for the 50mm. Which cameras don't have crop factors? 5D, 2D 1D only?

How about getting a 50D with a great prime that is wider-- maybe 35mm-ish? I can pick up a 35mm for $325, it is a f2, so I'd loose a few stops, but as long as it has a sweet spot at or before 2.8, so that I could consistently use it there, I could see this working. I could buy the 50D, 35mm 2.0 and 580exII and have $300 for case, batts/charge, mem cards, diffuser. Again, I'm not sure which other speedlights have ettl(?)

Is there another prime of the 50mm caliber and aperture abilities that would suit? I could also pick up a Canon 24mm 2.8 for $350 or a siggy 30mm 1.4 at $450. As far as prioritizing, the shots I take that are most valuable are probably group shots, portraits would be next, then occasional wide shots that give an overall feel of the event. My experience with using zooms is that I'm not as happy with the bokeh or sharpness when compared to a prime lens.

Again, thank you for putting so much time and energy into helping me with this. i really appreciate it. :)
    Lisa
    My Website
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Yes the price does sound too good to be true. It is on amazon though. Have any of you heard of companies rigging the reviews on their used pages? I was also thinking it didn't have a crop factor, if it still has one that wouldn't be good for the 50mm. Which cameras don't have crop factors? 5D, 2D 1D only?

How about getting a 50D with a great prime that is wider-- maybe 35mm-ish? Is there a prime of the 50mm caliber and aperture abilities that would suit?

Kat is giving you good advice. I too would have thought a 2nd 50d is your smartest choice espeecially since there's some good deals on them right now since the 7d came out.

I believe there's a 35mm prime - maybe a 1.4 or 1.8? It's in the same "family" as the 50mm (in terms of build/price etc) - haven't used it, but maybe somebody who has can comment.

There's also the Tamron 17-50 2.8 for a crop camera - great lens, great price. Can be found used ~$300 and it's about ~400 new. It doesn't cover the longer end, though, which the 24-105 would (although the 24-105 is f4 rather than 2.8)

I'd be very surprised to find a 7d for anything close to $1000 right now - it's still out of stock new in most places, is a hot new item, and I've seen "gently used" ones on Fred Miranda and POTN going for the same price as new and never more than about $200 less.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    The 35 1.4 is an L Lens about $1600. The 16-35 is beyond the budget as well. The best bang for the buck in L Lenses is the 24-105 and it equals 35 on a Crop - which works for events well. If you go wider and you are shooting people you will distort their faces.

The low light fast lenses are not in the budget. a 50 1.8 - the fantastic plastic is only about $75.00 For events you need low light and wide lenses too. On a crop camera a 50 mm is a great portrait lens equals a 75. Very usable at an event - in close quarters. I use that focal length all time.
    divamum wrote:
    Kat is giving you good advice. I too would have thought a 2nd 50d is your smartest choice espeecially since there's some good deals on them right now since the 7d came out.

I believe there's a 35mm prime - maybe a 1.4 or 1.8? It's in the same "family" as the 50mm (in terms of build/price etc) - haven't used it, but maybe somebody who has can comment.

There's also the Tamron 17-50 2.8 for a crop camera - great lens, great price. Can be found used ~$300 and it's about ~400 new. It doesn't cover the longer end, though, which the 24-105 would (although the 24-105 is f4 rather than 2.8)

I'd be very surprised to find a 7d for anything close to $1000 right now - it's still out of stock new in most places, is a hot new item, and I've seen "gently used" ones on Fred Miranda and POTN going for the same price as new and never more than about $200 less.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    Lisa...just an aside...

I was going to check out your pics and the 'My Website' link in your sig didn't work.

Is it me or is it broken?ne_nau.gif

Wayne G
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    I don't think I would trust someone just because they are listed on Amazon. That they have positive feedback is a good sign, though there's nothing stopping anyone from creating dozens of accounts linked to different free email addresses and going through fake transactions just to give themselves lots of positive feedback. I tend to favor dealers that have been on Amazon for a while and have thousands of feedback entries with 95%+ positive. Or if I know their reputation from outside of Amazon.

The only full-frame Canon DSLRs are the 1Ds and 5D. The 1D (without the "s") has a 1.3x crop factor. Everything else (7D, 50D, Rebels) has a 1.6x crop factor.

I'm not totally sure, but I think all current-production Speedlites support ETTL. The 430 EX and 580 EX certainly do. I'm not that familiar with the cheaper models because I've never considered buying one.

The EF 35mm f/2 is a great lens for the money. It is sharp at f/2, and of course when it's wide open it doesn't matter that it has only five aperture blades. The worst thing about it is the buzzing noise its auto-focus motor makes (no USM), which really isn't bothersome unless you're in a situation where complete silence is required. I think it's easily the best choice when you need an inexpensive, fast prime that is roughly "standard" length on APS-C (equivalent to 56mm). The only competition I know of anywhere near its price range is the EF 28mm f/1.8, which has serious problems with edge softness and color fringing, and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, which I keep hearing it's hard to get good copies of (many people complain of front-focusing and other problems) and is very soft wide open (so you end up stopping down to about f/2 anyway).

For group shots on APS-C you really want something a lot wider than 35mm, especially if we're talking about a dozen people or more. If you buy a new camera with a kit lens that is 15-18mm on the wide end, it will probably be adequate when combined with a flash for low-light situations. Canon's kit lenses these days really aren't bad at all, though they are a bit slow (typically f/3.5-5.6).

• Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    One thing I've wanted to mention...I own the 50D and the 50mm 1.4 USM. As this lens is great when it's up close and doing tight crops of people, I have found it to be extremely soft at longer distances (I'd say about 50'+ Maybe???). Other wise though the lens is tack sharp and works great in low light. HOWEVER, as someone else previously stated, the 50D AND 7D both have the 1.6x crop factor. If you want the 50mm...then you're gonna be looking at a used 5D. Which you can get for about $1.4k used somewhere I'm sure, and probably has better low light performance than the 40...maybe even the 50D. I have NOT been impressed with the low light on my 50D what so ever. The 24-105 lens has been thrown out there. This is a GREAT lens...however...it really needs light. Here are my suggestions:

Used 5DMKI w/ 50mm 1.4, 430EX, bag...mem...bat...etc...

40D w/ 35mm 2.0, 24-105, 430EX, bag...mem...bat...etc...
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited October 28, 2009
    Off topic for a second, I have a friend looking for a low budget flash and would be very interested in which Sigma flash you are using/your impressions.

I have, and use, both the Sigma EF 500 DG Super and the 530DG Super flashes. The 530 is the latest model and replaces the 500 series. If you have a 50D or later Canon camera then get a 530 DG Super from one of the large vendors. (I used sigma4less.com) The 50D and later cameras changed the pinouts on the hotshoe, which the 530 accommodates in later stock.

These flashes have similar features to, and nearly the power of, the high-end Canon and Nikon flashes, but their own user interface, completely unlike the Canon and Nikon flash interface. It's not bad and I get along fine. The pricing is just over $200USD. A remarkable value.

I use them professionally, which should tell you how I feel about them and how I trust them. The E-TTL II emulation is authentic and reliable. The power is enough for rapid actuations using ISO 800 and normal social working distances.

2 weekends ago I used the flashes for 2 events, one indoor wedding reception and one outdoor "open-house" event. Flashes worked as expected and held up better than I did. (The 2 events added up to 800 miles travel and less than 3 hours sleep between Saturday and Sunday. The Sunday event required parking around 3/4 miles away and walking my equipment into a canyon and back.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I have, and use, both the Sigma EF 500 DG Super and the 530DG Super flashes. The 530 is the latest model and replaces the 500 series. If you have a 50D or later Canon camera then get a 530 DG Super from one of the large vendors. (I used sigma4less.com) The 50D and later cameras changed the pinouts on the hotshoe, which the 530 accommodates in later stock.

These flashes have similar features to, and nearly the power of, the high-end Canon and Nikon flashes, but their own user interface, completely unlike the Canon and Nikon flash interface. It's not bad and I get along fine. The pricing is just over $200USD. A remarkable value.

I use them professionally, which should tell you how I feel about them and how I trust them. The E-TTL II emulation is authentic and reliable. The power is enough for rapid actuations using ISO 800 and normal social working distances.

2 weekends ago I used the flashes for 2 events, one indoor wedding reception and one outdoor "open-house" event. Flashes worked as expected and held up better than I did. (The 2 events added up to 800 miles travel and less than 3 hours sleep between Saturday and Sunday. The Sunday event required parking around 3/4 miles away and walking my equipment into a canyon and back.)

thumb.gif

Just sent off the info to my friend and if I get back into flash work (which will probably mean retiring the old SB-24) I will give them a look as well, that price is amazing.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    The 35 1.4 is an L Lens about $1600. The 16-35 is beyond the budget as well. The best bang for the buck in L Lenses is the 24-105 and it equals 35 on a Crop - which works for events well. If you go wider and you are shooting people you will distort their faces.

The low light fast lenses are not in the budget. a 50 1.8 - the fantastic plastic is only about $75.00 For events you need low light and wide lenses too. On a crop camera a 50 mm is a great portrait lens equals a 75. Very usable at an event - in close quarters. I use that focal length all time.

On the Canon crop of 1.6 I come up with 24 = 38.4 for full frame. Maybe it would be used in similar situations to a 35mm but is not exact.

On the crop I get 50mm as = 80 for full frame. Once again similar but not exact.

Jane B.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    ChatKat wrote:
    The 35 1.4 is an L Lens about $1600.
    craig_d wrote:

The EF 35mm f/2 is a great lens for the money.

This must have been the lens i was thinking of, not the 1.8. Thanks for the correction and info on the right lens! thumb.gif