Options

website wedding template...Right! or Wrong!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Chris GeigerChris Geiger Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    he can't....can only delete his own posts unless the powers have changed that also..................

His is the first post. If it gets deleted, the thread goes poof.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2009
    His is the first post. If it gets deleted, the thread goes poof.
    Hasn't when I did it in the flea market.....maybe I could not get to the 1st post since it was after some posts had been made...........

BTW.....nice looking sitethumb.gifthumbthumb.gifbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited November 7, 2009
    vB software allows the OP ownership of the entire thread. He can keep it, or delete it. It is the thread title that the OP can not alter.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Maybe he'll come back and apologize or explain?

Ok - that's fair....I think he owes us one.

We had a recent thread where an OP posting something I thought inapporpriate, I pm'ed the poster and he was surprised that he''d done something wrong and was kind enough to edit.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    AndrewStudioAndrewStudio Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2009
    WOW Holy Pow!!! I was so shocked when I read everyone post. I'm not here trying to give an excuse, but anyway, I do apoligize to Chris to begin with.

To let every1 here knows that I was in the process of learning PHP (I do have experience with HTML), and Photoshop CS4. I wanted to practice placing watermark on the pics. I didn't want to resize & replace Chris's pics with another (because Im just in the process of learning). Sometime, a picture worth a thousand words, and that's what make it so difficult for me to explain it.

Well, the fact is that if anything is placed on the internet, it's can be stolen, and modified to be their own (which is what I am doing now on my site). There are so many filthy rich famous people out there that are doing the same, for example, Bill Gate stole Apple's idea and modified it to Windows and got all the credit. That's all I gotta say.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    WOW Holy Pow!!! I was so shocked when I read everyone post. I'm not here trying to give an excuse, but anyway, I do apoligize to Chris to begin with.

To let every1 here knows that I was in the process of learning PHP (I do have experience with HTML), and Photoshop CS4. I wanted to practice placing watermark on the pics. I didn't want to resize & replace Chris's pics with another (because Im just in the process of learning). Sometime, a picture worth a thousand words, and that's what make it so difficult for me to explain it.

Well, the fact is that if anything is placed on the internet, it's can be stolen, and modified to be their own (which is what I am doing now on my site). There are so many filthy rich famous people out there that are doing the same, for example, Bill Gate stole Apple's idea and modified it to Windows and got all the credit. That's all I gotta say.
    headscratch.gif this has got to be one of the poorest excuses I've ever, ever heard.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    headscratch.gif this has got to be one of the poorest excuses I've ever, ever heard.

Wrong Andy! (:D)

That would mean it's somewhere on the "List of Poor Excuses". This guy has just taken the leap to the top, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Agree.

A lame excuse and not even a real apology. I am hoping he sent a more personal one to Chris for this mess.

Hate to be a nitpick:
    Well, the fact is that if anything is placed on the internet, it's can be stolen, and modified to be their own (which is what I am doing now on my site)

That happens to be in present tense, so does that mean you are still doing it? headscratch.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009

Hate to be a nitpick:

That happens to be in present tense, so does that mean you are still doing it? headscratch.gif

Uhm ... seriously!!! ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    There are lots of pretty girls walking around. They have sex with other people. Does that mean you can have sex with them? Yes, but only with PERMISSION. Other wise the same act changes from something beautiful to rape.

I've downloaded a few web sites in my time to learn and understand how the html worked. That is education. It becomes steeling when that code is then posted on a different web site.

Looking at my photo of the girl in the window with the red flowers is not a crime. Copying it to your computer and looking at it from time to time is not a crime. Printing it out, and putting it in your back pocket is not a crime. Posting one of my photos (with my watermark) on a bbs and making a comment on it is not a crime. Using your own camera and taking a similar photo it not a crime.

Taking my photo, changing the watermark. Then placing that photo on a commercial web site is a crime.

Please try to understand the difference here. Bill Gates saw windows and wanted to create something similar. He did not steel the code, he wrote new code from scratch using his own programmers.

Your welcome to admire my work, your welcome to try and shoot similar work, but please don't put my work on your site in such a way to infer to people that this is your work and you could do the same for them.

As for practicing with the watermarks, please use your own photos for that if you plan to post them on your web site.

Taking an ethics class in school may help you learn the difference between black/white and gray. Just because you can do something does not mean you should.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Well said Chris. There is a major difference between trying to mimic something on your own, and just flat out stealing and re-using. Obviously the OP here does not understand that difference.
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    I recently came across a wedding photographer website, and I really like their website template. Is it okay for me to use their template? It's template only, and not their pictures or wording.

Thanks
    He does understand that is wrong and illegal or he wouldn't have put the caveat in his initial post that is was for the template only.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    This is not an excuse, it's simply being honest, but lame...yes, I know.

[quote=To let every1 here knows that I was in the process of learning PHP (I do have experience with HTML), and Photoshop CS4. I wanted to practice placing watermark on the pics. I didn't want to resize & replace Chris's pics with another (because Im just in the process of learning). Sometime, a picture worth a thousand words, and that's what make it so difficult for me to explain it.[/quote]

This is my excuse....just to clear up with you guys.
    [quote=Well, the fact is that if anything is placed on the internet, it's can be stolen, and modified to be their own (which is what I am doing now on my site). There are so many filthy rich famous people out there that are doing the same, for example, Bill Gate stole Apple's idea and modified it to Windows and got all the credit. That's all I gotta say.[/quote]

Agree.

Hate to be a nitpick:
    "which is what I am doing now on my site"
    I'm so glad you know your present tense. Good job

met wrote:
    He does understand that is wrong and illegal or he wouldn't have put the caveat in his initial post that is was for the template only.
    thank you

hi Chris, Im not here to debate whether what Bill did right or wrong, because white can be turned into black, and black can be turned into white (ex. Michael Jackson :P sry MJ). That's what lawyer do. I do understand you're upset. I know what I did at the beginning was not right. That's why I took it down immediately from your initial request (even though I still playing around with your coding offline now). Lets get to the fact now; I am using your template to design my own. Template ONLY, and nothing else. Would that be okay with you Chris? Would you like me to paypal you for using your template, so it could ease your mind a little?

I think it would be great if this thread deserves a sticky. It will be a great learning experience for other people who have similar thoughts like me :)
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    met wrote:

While that is true that it seems that he knows what is wrong and illegal, he still did it. Otherwise, he wouldn't have put his site up with Chris's photos with the OP's watermark over it and thus making it look like he is a legit wedding photographer. Not only is that stealing from Chris, it is, also, false advertising towards any potential client.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    thank you
    Wow, you completely missed the point of my post. I wasn't defending you - I was pointing out that you knew it was wrong and illegal and yet you did it anyway - so you can't claim ignorance at this point. There's isn't a defense for that.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    While that is true that it seems that he knows what is wrong and illegal, he still did it. Otherwise, he wouldn't have put his site up with Chris's photos with the OP's watermark over it and thus making it look like he is a legit wedding photographer. Not only is that stealing from Chris, it is, also, false advertising towards any potential client.
    Sorry. I should have been more clear. I meant to reference posts that thought maybe he was ignorant about how serious the situation was (with all good intention of trying to give a fellow photographer the benefit of the doubt) when obviously he knew what he was doing.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    I don't mind the use of the template and general layout. It's ok if the site looks somewhat similar to mine. Please do not use my graphics, photos, text or meta data. It is important that google bots not think that your site is a copy of mine. Google will drop the rating of both sites if they think the sites are similar copies.
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    Not to beat a dead horse, but it's not just a matter of being ethically wrong, but being in trouble legally. You can say you're sorry, and yes, you took them down as soon as Chris said something about it. And now you have learned not to do that because it's bad, but you seem to miss the point that you can get in legal trouble as well. Not only because your site was live and that you were "practicing" your watermark on *his* pictures, but also because you're offering commercial services that are now using his pictures as advertisement. (I'm probably not even explaining this well -_-)

I'm not a lawyer but I think you'd be liable for a few things, with copyright infringement being a small piece of the pie.

Toyota is in trouble right now because they used pictures from Flickr without asking for permission to use them from their owners. Toyota has said that they're sorry, but that's just the start.

And you're right, really, that people do this stuff all the time, with only a very few being caught. But that's why we need all the help we can get in putting a stop to that kind of practice, specially for us photographers.

Ok, dead horse, moving on. And I just looked but Chris is ok with the template being used.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Ok, dead horse, moving on.

It's like the whole argument of pirating music and video... "everyone does it all the time" true, it happens way more often than not, but that doesn't make it legal. I used go to get a sick sense of enjoyment busting the university students when the RIAA and other organizations would file motions again them and I've be the one who had to match up their mac address to the proper student. That was one of the more fun things with my old job, lol. It really made them wake up though once they were faced with potential lawsuits...
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2009
    I really hesitate to comment... but

The bread and butter of a photographer is copyright... if we don't respect it, than how can we expect others to?
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    met wrote:
    Wow, you completely missed the point of my post. I wasn't defending you - I was pointing out that you knew it was wrong and illegal and yet you did it anyway - so you can't claim ignorance at this point. There's isn't a defense for that.

it's so very funny hihihi :)
    I know very well that you are not defending me of course.
    I wanted to say thank you for pointing things out, and not using any harsh language :)
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    I don't mind the use of the template and general layout. It's ok if the site looks somewhat similar to mine. Please do not use my graphics, photos, text or meta data. It is important that google bots not think that your site is a copy of mine. Google will drop the rating of both sites if they think the sites are similar copies.

Thanks Chris. I will take everything on my site down so that I will nothave any affect on you whatsoever. I will still playing around with your code, and I will not post it on my site until it meets all of your expectation above. One last time, I do apologize for the cause, and your time to deal with a hard-head like me :) THanks for being so kind

To every1 in Dgrin, thank you for your comments even though there are some people using a little harsh language in this thread, but in the end y'all the ones that showing me the light. My biggest THANK-YOU to Chris
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    I really hesitate to comment... but

The bread and butter of a photographer is copyright... if we don't respect it, than how can we expect others to?

Oh gosh...this is the kind of comment that change me. Heather's comment is just like a woman dress. Long enough to cover the detail, and short enough to make it interesting. :)

yeha thanks
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    Thanks Chris. I will take everything on my site down so that I will nothave any affect on you whatsoever. I will still playing around with your code, and I will not post it on my site until it meets all of your expectation above. One last time, I do apologize for the cause, and your time to deal with a hard-head like me :) THanks for being so kind

To every1 in Dgrin, thank you for your comments even though there are some people using a little harsh language in this thread, but in the end y'all the ones that showing me the light. My biggest THANK-YOU to Chris

This is the point where you take a deep breath and ask yourself.....Do I have a creative bone in my body?.....at all?....whatsoever? Forget the code, forget the layout. Make it your own. After this debocle, one would think the road less travelled would be the avenue of choice. You wanna see templates? Take a gander at my site. It's Templates in it's truest form, along with the other 12K photographers that use the same service. If you know CODE and you have some programming knowledge, why in the hell would you even remotely come close to wanting something so similar to someone elses site?

It boggles the mind, it really does. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    This is the point where you take a deep breath and ask yourself.....Do I have a creative bone in my body?.....at all?....whatsoever? Forget the code, forget the layout. Make it your own. After this debocle, one would think the road less travelled would be the avenue of choice. You wanna see templates? Take a gander at my site. It's Templates in it's truest form, along with the other 12K photographers that use the same service. If you know CODE and you have some programming knowledge, why in the hell would you even remotely come close to wanting something so similar to someone elses site?

It boggles the mind, it really does. headscratch.gif

I just don't know who the hell you are, but you can talk trash all you want. In the end, it's you and your family who is reading this. Im not sure if you really have a brain in your cranial, but im not gonna going any further with this topic or with you hahaha

Some people are trying to be nice, but they are not stupid. Even though all the pics, graphics, whatsoever is belong you that particular person. That person must pay a fee to file copyright protection for their property rights, which I doubted that any1 really file for it (exception if your image worth more than $1k)

anyway...that's all folks

THE END.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2009
    anyway...that's all folks

THE END.

bowdown.gif