Options

Finding Exif

2»

Comments

• Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    WillCAD wrote:
    Hey Bob, did you use ANY other software on some of your pics? Maybe a batch rotator, or a utility to clean up noise, or adjust color, or compress the JPG for smaller file size, or anything else? Or even any kind of viewer or browser other than Photoshop, Bridge, or Windows Explorer? Any of those could explain why your Exif data disappeared from some of your pics but not all.

Yes in one folder I did. I used Noiseware Community Edition. That could explain it.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Bob, are you absolutely certain you did not "Save for Web"? That does strip the exif data, routinely.

If you save 8 bit jpgs in the sRGB color space for uploading to smuggy it should have your exif data in it. I can find my exif data there in most of my images on smuggy.

Once again, why is this data so vital?

Here is a screen grab from my smuggy with the exif data displayed

Hi Pathfinder,
    I cannot be absolutely certain I didn't click on SAVE instead of SAVE AS and you could be right that is what I have done. I know the procedure for looking up Exifs in Smugmug and I found that the Exifs were missing obviously because they had been stripped. Willcad has thrown something into the pot because in one folder all the Exifs are missing and I do recall using Noiseware Community Edition.
    The reason I found it so important was because I had previously only did one shoot at night time using 580 flash taking shots of a navigational car rally. The shots came out quite well and I thought I would use the same settings.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    I always use other software on a dupe of the original image and then blend the dupe over the original in Photoshop, which preserves metadata.

Bob, I know that your original question related to an upcoming shoot where you wanted to retain metadata...with luck you can now do that!

In regards to the older shots that are missing metadata, if you have the original raw camera files - you should be able to put the metadata back in to the processed version that is missing metadata. This would not be quick/easy and would probably be tedious for more than a handful of images.

Stephen Marsh

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    http://prepression.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2009
    BinaryFx wrote:
    I always use other software on a dupe of the original image and then blend the dupe over the original in Photoshop, which preserves metadata.

Bob, I know that your original question related to an upcoming shoot where you wanted to retain metadata...with luck you can now do that!

In regards to the older shots that are missing metadata, if you have the original raw camera files - you should be able to put the metadata back in to the processed version that is missing metadata. This would not be quick/easy and would probably be tedious for more than a handful of images.

Stephen Marsh

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    http://prepression.blogspot.com/

Hi Stephen, thanks for replying first of all I am slowly coming to terms with this. First of all I have discovered that using Noiseware Community Edition wipes off the Exif. As you will appreciate one only uses this on occasions when using a high ISO. However, I still get the EXIFs if I use either SAVE or SAVE AS so that one has me beat. In actual fact once I have gone through ACR and saved them as Jpegs I never keep the original raw CR2's simply because they do take extra room up on the hard drive and external hard drive. I am probably doing it all wrong!!!
    Regards
    Bob