Options

Visiting Yosemite Park

2»

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited January 21, 2010
    If you stay in the park, there are several choices.

Outside the park, it's plan for an hour or so to drive in. More if the weather is bad.

Just google "yosemite hotels" for a list. Best Western isn't that bad.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pleblancpleblanc Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    ian408 wrote:
    If you stay in the park, there are several choices.

Outside the park, it's plan for an hour or so to drive in. More if the weather is bad.

Just google "yosemite hotels" for a list. Best Western isn't that bad.

Is there any good shooting after the sun goes down in the park area ? Is it best to stay in the park or saty an hour away ? What time is best to be setup in the morning to catch the good lighting ?

Really looking forward to this as the days come closer

Paul
    Paul LeBlanc
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2010
    Depends on where you are and the season. Staying in the park is usually more convenience than anything. Plus, it is kinda nice to wander around after dark.
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2010
    El Cap from Cathedral beach has been great recently in the early morning light. Near sunset and shortly after, I like tunnel view for a valley shot, or even one of the open meadows to catch the glow in the sky (but this depends on the clouds). I would recommend staying in either El Portal or Mariposa for best quick access to the park. Highway 140 is the best way in during the winter as it rarely has snow on it (it takes about the same amount of time to take hwy 140 as 120 to get to Yosemite from Sac).

Make sure you check the weather as we get closer. Today, all roads into and out of the park are closed :(
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2010
    As a point of reference. All roads to the park were closed today as they tried to clean up storm damage and deal with lots of snow. Motorists were advised to carry chains (must have in vehicle).

Not that this should change your plans to visit. Only to say the snow will make your visit spectacular!
  • Options
    pleblancpleblanc Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    ian408 wrote:
    As a point of reference. All roads to the park were closed today as they tried to clean up storm damage and deal with lots of snow. Motorists were advised to carry chains (must have in vehicle).

Not that this should change your plans to visit. Only to say the snow will make your visit spectacular!

Thanks, I really getting excited watching the weather. I will book my hotel on tuesday or wed once i have a better idea of what the weather will be like on the weekend.

Paul

and thanks for all the great information
    Paul LeBlanc