Options

Help re making the move from PC to Apple

Comments

• Options
    RovingEyePhotoRovingEyePhoto Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    It sounds like, from what you've described, Aperture may be a better choice for you than Photoshop, at least as far as asset management goes. I don't do lots of complicated adjustments to my photos, and they are nearly all global, so Aperture is perfect for me. The other thing I really like about it is that it is excellent at keywording, finding individual photos, keeping a database of all of your photos orgnized in projects/albums, rating photos, etc. etc. (It also has a SmugMug upload plugin. clap.gif )

Aperture is different from Photoshop in that it has these asset management features, as does Lightroom. If you're not used to having access to asset management features, you're in for a big treat. It makes life SO much easier to have the program manage stuff like that. Also, as you know, I'm a big backup guy, and Aperture's dead-simple backup feature (called a Vault) is simple and easy and "just works". It's also pretty fast on most recent (last couple of years) Macs.

I believe that Aperture is a bit cheaper than Lightroom, esp. if you buy on Amazon.

One last tip on secure computing: Apple's default firewall is pretty good and should be turned on and in stealth mode. You can lock everything down and grant access to individual programs, and it's easy to manage. If you're really into power and control, you can open individual ports, or edit the rules manually, etc. etc.

Great input. I'll look into Aperture while doing my diddling at Apple Store over next few months. I'm also a back-up nut, with back-up to back-up, so automating it is appealing. And photo-asset management is nothing I've had to do, but once into it, probably will love it. As for firewall, I've heard Apple's is pretty good, and wouldn't dare attempt to override it, not a power guy.

Again, many thanks.
    See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Only one red flag for me. You wrote:
    If cost is not a factor, you are insane to use anything other than Office, given that you already have expertise. The whole corporate world runs on the Office suite, partly because Msft got the integration right a long time ago. iWorks? Give me a break. lol3.gif

I haven't seen Avatar yet. Unobtainium is an old physics and engineering joke that was mentioned with a very straight face in the all time bad-physics film, The Core.

Will think long and hard about Office/Works application suites. Really know nothing about iWork outside of what Apple publicizes, have to get into forums for a deeper feel. I'll shake out reality, gotta be one way or the other. In the corporate world, as posted earlier in this thread, wouldn't even be considering changing from Office, but if good for the non-business life I now lead (primarily my own finances and taxes), there is something to be said for going all-Apple and gaining single-source support under their Care plan.

As for Unobtainium, it's the star of "Avatar", or at least the driving force behind the plot. If you've seen the all-time bad physics film, you just gotta try "Avatar"! And in 3D, that's the way I saw it, greatly advanced from old days. Combine physics with metaphysics with robotics with capitalism with off-the-wall imagination with history reversal with romance with blind greed with incredible graphics with soaring heartiness with unnerving beauty with mysticism with war with good guys with bad guys with tight scripting, you've got "Avatar". Bear in mind this is from an older guy who wouldn't have gone near it had it not been for my early-teen grandsons, most certainly never would have even been tempted by "The Core, but on the other hand who knows when he's been entertained. "Avatar" is an experience, loads of real unreality, very little gore, immense beauty. We're on a forum, that's my (unsolicited) advice ...

Again, thanks for the time.
    See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Will think long and hard about Office/Works application suites. Really know nothing about iWork outside of what Apple publicizes, have to get into forums for a deeper feel. I'll shake out reality, gotta be one way or the other. In the corporate world, as posted earlier in this thread, wouldn't even be considering changing from Office, but if good for the non-business life I now lead (primarily my own finances and taxes), there is something to be said for going all-Apple and gaining single-source support under their Care plan.

I haven't really used iWork that much although I have a lot of (mixed) experience with MS Office and I use it now at work everyday on a PC.

My only two cautions about using the Mac version of Office are that:

- I think Entourage is pretty useless, and
    - I've had compatibility issues with moving between Office Mac 2004 and more recent versions of PC Office

For email and calendaring, I just use Gmail and Google Calendar. One problem Entourage used to have is that it kept a monolithic file with all of your email and other stuff in it, kind of like a .pst file in Outlook. I think it still works this way, which means that incremental backup, such as Time Machine, doesn't work properly. TM has to back up ALL of your gigantic monolithic email file every hour. This makes TM backups take forever, and wastes space on your TM volume.

Apple Mail (aka Mail.app, OS X's included email client) is really great and doesn't store email in a monolithic file, so TM can incrementally back up each new email when it does its thing each hour without re-backing up an enormous file.

Aside from this advantage, I use Mail.app to keep a local backup (sound familiar? :D) of my Gmail for those infrequent times when Gmail's web interface is down. Doing this also lets me compose emails while I am away from the interwebz and then queue them up to send en masse, although I think Gmail has a working Offline Mode now, so maybe I'm just anachronistic like that. Finally, keeping a local copy using Mail.app gets your email indexed by Spotlight (OS X's universal search service) so when you use it, it pulls up emails with relevant content along with files, images, etc. etc.

In my experience, Entourage is also incredibly slow and irritating and not Mac-like, and Mail.app is slick, fast, simple and focused. Same goes for Entourage vs. iCal (OS X's included calendaring app).

Food for thought if you're seriously considering using Office. It's one thing to use Word, PP, Excel, etc., but I would take a pass on Entourage.
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    I am relatively new to Apple, but what I understand is that early versions of Office for Mac were too clunky - hence the trend to running a windows version in a separate partition.

I am running the 2008 version under Snow Leopard and have had no problems.

I loathe Outlook and never touched Entourage. I suppose if you are tied to a corporation and have no choice then it could be an issue. When I work for Corporates I do "their" mail via webmail and use their VPN in extremis. (When they lose their data then it is their problem). Mac has an OK calendar (Ical)- at least as good as Outlook. The Apple mail program is good. And seeing that my address book lasts for decades I still keep it on paper. Call me old fashioned ....

Compatibility with the corporate MS world is important to me professionally and I was worried in the beginning about switching to Apple As fall-back I was prepared to create a windows environment on my Mac and kept my Vista laptop up-to-date just in case. In practice I do everything on my MBP easily and will not switch back anytime soon. The Vista laptop is gathering dust, but since it weighs next to nothing I still use it for travel.

I never used I-works because of my corporate connection to MS Office. Looks and sounds better than the MS Suite but compatibility still rules; I don't need to be trapped late in the evening with some weird incompatibility. Richard also makes a good point - why throw away a 20 year learning curve?
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    I haven't really used iWork that much although I have a lot of (mixed) experience with MS Office and I use it now at work everyday on a PC.

My only two cautions about using the Mac version of Office are that:

- I think Entourage is pretty useless, and
    - I've had compatibility issues with moving between Office Mac 2004 and more recent versions of PC Office

For email and calendaring, I just use Gmail and Google Calendar. One problem Entourage used to have is that it kept a monolithic file with all of your email and other stuff in it, kind of like a .pst file in Outlook. I think it still works this way, which means that incremental backup, such as Time Machine, doesn't work properly. TM has to back up ALL of your gigantic monolithic email file every hour. This makes TM backups take forever, and wastes space on your TM volume.

Apple Mail (aka Mail.app, OS X's included email client) is really great and doesn't store email in a monolithic file, so TM can incrementally back up each new email when it does its thing each hour without re-backing up an enormous file.

Aside from this advantage, I use Mail.app to keep a local backup (sound familiar? :D) of my Gmail for those infrequent times when Gmail's web interface is down. Doing this also lets me compose emails while I am away from the interwebz and then queue them up to send en masse, although I think Gmail has a working Offline Mode now, so maybe I'm just anachronistic like that. Finally, keeping a local copy using Mail.app gets your email indexed by Spotlight (OS X's universal search service) so when you use it, it pulls up emails with relevant content along with files, images, etc. etc.

In my experience, Entourage is also incredibly slow and irritating and not Mac-like, and Mail.app is slick, fast, simple and focused. Same goes for Entourage vs. iCal (OS X's included calendaring app).

Food for thought if you're seriously considering using Office. It's one thing to use Word, PP, Excel, etc., but I would take a pass on Entourage.
    Many thanks for comments. I'm in process of visiting Apple Store at lest weekly, asking and experimenting on things I've noted my previous week of PC processing. So far, looking pretty good. Given my total lack of need for Office compatibility, even though Apple says it's there, I'm still taken by the advantage of iCare covering both hardware and software, and that would dictate iWork over Office. I'll be taking one of my annual tax spreadsheets (an old one, lol) to try opening in Numbers next week, no macros or pivot tables, but massive formulas and complex formatting, we'll see how Numbers does. Will do same with a few docs at random, should tell the story. Also opening one-time Hotmail/Yahoo mailboxes, will try Apple's email program on those. Never have had a Google box, so maybe will open one of those also. Comcast is our heavy hitter, so will do same with that. And will take with me a disk of RAW and photoshopped images, see how those do with Aperture. As said, I've got it kind of easy, no business compatibility to worry about, so maybe I make the full jump. Wish me luck ...

Again, many thanks for input.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    I am relatively new to Apple, but what I understand is that early versions of Office for Mac were too clunky - hence the trend to running a windows version in a separate partition.

I am running the 2008 version under Snow Leopard and have had no problems.

I loathe Outlook and never touched Entourage. I suppose if you are tied to a corporation and have no choice then it could be an issue. When I work for Corporates I do "their" mail via webmail and use their VPN in extremis. (When they lose their data then it is their problem). Mac has an OK calendar (Ical)- at least as good as Outlook. The Apple mail program is good. And seeing that my address book lasts for decades I still keep it on paper. Call me old fashioned ....

Compatibility with the corporate MS world is important to me professionally and I was worried in the beginning about switching to Apple As fall-back I was prepared to create a windows environment on my Mac and kept my Vista laptop up-to-date just in case. In practice I do everything on my MBP easily and will not switch back anytime soon. The Vista laptop is gathering dust, but since it weighs next to nothing I still use it for travel.

I never used I-works because of my corporate connection to MS Office. Looks and sounds better than the MS Suite but compatibility still rules; I don't need to be trapped late in the evening with some weird incompatibility. Richard also makes a good point - why throw away a 20 year learning curve?
    Many thanks for input. Please see response 36, covers similar input from another dgrinner. You're right, of course, seems silly to give-up 20+ years on Excel and Word (also Access), but is adopting iWork really giving-up? In my Apple Store visits (see 36), I've been able to pretty readily zoom through basic procedures, understand the finder (like right-click Start/ Explore, or My Computer), open/close documents and spreadsheets, format documents and spreadsheets, create/delete folders, etc. Matter of fact, about the only thing tried so far I couldn't do was hide a folder, easy through right-click Properties on PC, how do I hide on Apple? I'll ask next time I'm at store and certain I'll get answer, but if you happen to know, will save me the yapping. Anyway, I'm fortunate to have several months before my Dell warranty expires, so time for a bunch of shakedown cruises. We'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    about the only thing tried so far I couldn't do was hide a folder, easy through right-click Properties on PC, how do I hide on Apple?

I wonder what they'll tell you at the Apple store...hiding folders is much easier on Windows. I think there is some utility that will hide folders on the Mac.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    I wonder what they'll tell you at the Apple store...hiding folders is much easier on Windows. I think there is some utility that will hide folders on the Mac.
    I'll let you know what I find about hiding files. Sure wasn't evident. There's an Apple menu for setting folder view options, but of all the seemingly overkill options offered, no hide. Go figure ...

Interesting that hard to find a neutral mag, same as hard to find neutral individuals (exactly same as Canon/Nikon camps, Mustang/Camero camps, Harley/Honda camps, etc). Actually did the big move the other day and signed on for subscription to Macworld to match my subscription to PCworld. They both take advertising, of course, so forever suspect, but always tidbits of info to be gleaned. Can you or other dgrinners suggest neutral computer forums? I view dGrin as kind of neutral, dpReview probably also, computer a secondary focus. Others? I know I'm a little overboard in quest for an absolute here, but am running from just one thing, virus/Trojan/etc, and with OS-x less than 10% of the market and widely accepted but for business compatibility (doesn't affect me), maybe an absolute is findable. Still diddling with glossy screen for dig processing, and understand I can daisy chain my matte 19" Dell Ultrasharp if unhappy with that, and cost/value probably an impossible calculation, but otherwise pretty much a one-issue question. Nature of change, I guess, brings out the paranoid/psychotic in all of us ...
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2010
    My daughter switched to Mac at the weekend and, with a deadline on her masters paper, converted to Pages (I-works) in no-time. I thought she would prefer one of our other computers with Office to be safe, or even my Mac with Word, but she finished up on her Mac with I-Works and on-time.

I suppose very complicated spreadsheets in Excel might be a concern - but should you do this anyway? In my experience too many errors creep-in when you use Excel instead of a programming tool.

The more I work with Mac I am convinced that the concerns about migration are largely tales from the distant past. So far I have seen no problems and the benefits of switching are persuasive. Sorry if I sound like a fan-boy but I am convinced.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    I will say that I fight the years of Microsoft Office experience to using iWork/iLife after 3 years. However I am a power user of Excel at work. Open Office might be a good middle ground for some, but for me OO2 was not there and I have not gotten OO3 to try yet.

Why I like Mac is that it is my PERSONAL computer and that when I am using it, it is not a work thing at all. I also like that my documents look different from everyone else. I even slip in some work presentations into Keynote every so often just for the pop.

It all comes down to personal preference and what you are expecting to do with it. If you are a heavy MS Office user, I think PC is better. If you are just using it to do basic spreadsheets and documents, either will work. With the Mac you can also run Windows on the same machine if needed.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    Hiding a file in OS X is just like hiding a file in UNIX or Linux :) If the file or folder starts with a "." it'll be hidden.

Although, I would be wondering exactly why you would want to hide anything (unless it's um, certain files mwink.gif ).

Another thing to do if multiple people use the computer is to turn on fast user switching. Then everyone has their own desktops and home folders, and then you can use file permissions (use Command-I to "get info") to control who can access your files.
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    My daughter switched to Mac at the weekend and, with a deadline on her masters paper, converted to Pages (I-works) in no-time. I thought she would prefer one of our other computers with Office to be safe, or even my Mac with Word, but she finished up on her Mac with I-Works and on-time.

I suppose very complicated spreadsheets in Excel might be a concern - but should you do this anyway? In my experience too many errors creep-in when you use Excel instead of a programming tool.

The more I work with Mac I am convinced that the concerns about migration are largely tales from the distant past. So far I have seen no problems and the benefits of switching are persuasive. Sorry if I sound like a fan-boy but I am convinced.
    Many thanks for the input. I've not experienced the complex Excel spreadsheet errors you talk about, but then, maybe differeing definitions of complex. I used to use macros (guessing these are the "programming tools" you mention), but now all formula based. Though long and involving many different types of math calculations, all are just that, math calculations, so still thinking that migration won't be a problem. Am going to take disk to Apple Store and try it out, so will know for sure after doing that. As said early on, still have a few months Dell hardware/software warranty remaining, so will have time to test this out.

Many thanks for input. Encouraging. Good luck to your daughter on her efforts.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    I will say that I fight the years of Microsoft Office experience to using iWork/iLife after 3 years. However I am a power user of Excel at work. Open Office might be a good middle ground for some, but for me OO2 was not there and I have not gotten OO3 to try yet.

Why I like Mac is that it is my PERSONAL computer and that when I am using it, it is not a work thing at all. I also like that my documents look different from everyone else. I even slip in some work presentations into Keynote every so often just for the pop.

It all comes down to personal preference and what you are expecting to do with it. If you are a heavy MS Office user, I think PC is better. If you are just using it to do basic spreadsheets and documents, either will work. With the Mac you can also run Windows on the same machine if needed.
    Thanks, Brad. I'm in the retired mode, so no need at all to concern myself with corporate compatibility. And doc/spreadsheet work is all personal: finances, social, volunteer, etc. So still leaning toward complete switchover. Months left to test migration and use at Apple Store, so making good use of that. Should be pretty confident by time actual decision time comes. If only to escape security dangers, iMac still looks good. Yes, there are Mac attacks, but far, far fewer than PC, and Apple seems to stay ahead of the game pretty well. If wrong on that, sure one fine dginner or another will set me straight.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2010
    Hiding a file in OS X is just like hiding a file in UNIX or Linux :) If the file or folder starts with a "." it'll be hidden.

Although, I would be wondering exactly why you would want to hide anything (unless it's um, certain files mwink.gif ).

Another thing to do if multiple people use the computer is to turn on fast user switching. Then everyone has their own desktops and home folders, and then you can use file permissions (use Command-I to "get info") to control who can access your files.
    Very good winker! No, all innocent, plans for coming birthday parties and anniversaries, personal finance/tax records, those sorts of things. Lots of family/friends in and out and on machine, so have used hidden files before. Never have used multiple desktops, but suppose we could. We'll see. Thanks for tip on hiding files. I assume there's a menu setting so that files starting with with "." can be made visible when desired?

Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    Many thanks for the input. I've not experienced the complex Excel spreadsheet errors you talk about, but then, maybe differeing definitions of complex. I used to use macros (guessing these are the "programming tools" you mention), but now all formula based. Though long and involving many different types of math calculations, all are just that, math calculations, so still thinking that migration won't be a problem. Am going to take disk to Apple Store and try it out, so will know for sure after doing that. As said early on, still have a few months Dell hardware/software warranty remaining, so will have time to test this out.

Many thanks for input. Encouraging. Good luck to your daughter on her efforts.

To explain a bit more about my Excel remarks, I don't mean to say that Excel can not work in complex cases. I just mean that it is not the best tool - still I am sure most of us have used a chisel to open a can of paint, so if it works for you why not .... BUT.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 24, 2010
    To explain a bit more about my Excel remarks, I don't mean to say that Excel can not work in complex cases. I just mean that it is not the best tool - still I am sure most of us have used a chisel to open a can of paint, so if it works for you why not .... BUT.

For smallish data sets, I've never found anything that I could not do using VBA formulas, and I've done some fairly hairy stuff. That's not to say that you should use Excel for every task--I've seen people doing stuff that really should have been done with a database manager--but it is certainly a powerful personal tool once you understand it. I'm sure other spreadsheet apps are fine as well. I just have never felt the need for one. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    For smallish data sets, I've never found anything that I could not do using VBA formulas, and I've done some fairly hairy stuff. That's not to say that you should use Excel for every task--I've seen people doing stuff that really should have been done with a database manager--but it is certainly a powerful personal tool once you understand it. I'm sure other spreadsheet apps are fine as well. I just have never felt the need for one. ne_nau.gif
    Gotcha. Actually, I used Access for a number of years, producing data base engines son-in-laws software clients, after retiring my real-life biz career. Use it or lose it, though, and been a number of years, so not going there again. I'll stick with Excel, more likely Numbers, assuming Numbers is as it appears and migration works. As one dgrinner commented, more than strong enough for what I do.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    Take a look at 47 if you would. Think I'm understanding your meaning, and appreciate the incite.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    I assume there's a menu setting so that files starting with with "." can be made visible when desired?

There is no menu setting, as hiding is not supposed to be a user feature. But you can use a free utility like TinkerTool to toggle hidden file display. You probably want to check out that utility anyway, it gives you access to an endless number of preferences which are normally not exposed.

I don't hide files, if they contain sensitive data I make an encrypted disk image and put them in there.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    There is no menu setting, as hiding is not supposed to be a user feature. But you can use a free utility like TinkerTool to toggle hidden file display. You probably want to check out that utility anyway, it gives you access to an endless number of preferences which are normally not exposed.

I don't hide files, if they contain sensitive data I make an encrypted disk image and put them in there.
    Many thanks. Gets me going.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2010
    System files and Secrets
    Keep in mind that the kinds of files that are "hidden" in OS X are typically system files--they're hidden because you're not supposed to fiddle with them. thumb.gif

Another good option for mucking about with these kinds of preferences is Secrets, a preference pane that you can install that gives you access to all kinds of hidden goodies in OS X.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    Keep in mind that the kinds of files that are "hidden" in OS X are typically system files--they're hidden because you're not supposed to fiddle with them. thumb.gif

Another good option for mucking about with these kinds of preferences is Secrets, a preference pane that you can install that gives you access to all kinds of hidden goodies in OS X.
    Got it, will take a look. Have to admit confusion on one (among many) matters having to do with PC/Mac changeover. I generically understood that Apple restricted its code such that third-party programs weren't available, unlike the jillions such programs out there for PCs. Apple store people look down on any such downloads, say that their iCare won't deal with any mishaps resulting from one. Are "Secrets and "Tinker Box" (another dgrinner recommended) more on the order of iPhone aps, cleared by Apple for installation, or am I in need of an understanding adjustment?

BTW, if you've followed this thread, whole idea of switching to Mac after 20+ PC/Dell years was virus/trojan/whatever attack a few months ago, that till just a couple days ago still caused problems throughout my processing (primarily Photoshop, Excel and Word). Dell techs have spent well over 20-25 hours in control of my box scanning and cleaning and rebuilding, maybe six different sessions over the few months, and still effects remained. Then a couple days ago, out of pure frustration, I chucked my wireless mouse/keyboard in favor of the original mouse/keyboard that came with the machine, figured it might simplify things, and BINGO, 99% of hangover attack problems disappeared, maybe 100%, but saying that's a psychic invitation to disaster. The wireless set up worked fine before the attack, stumbly afterward. Is it possible the wireless code is one of the nooks/crannies the destructive coding was hidden in? Don't know how deep you are into these things, but in for a dime, in for a dollar.

Really appreciate you taking the time.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    Is it possible the wireless code is one of the nooks/crannies the destructive coding was hidden in? Don't know how deep you are into these things, but in for a dime, in for a dollar.

I don't know what evidence you had that you were attacked. Perhaps you had system problems that were completely the fault of defective hardware or drivers. It has become commonplace to attribute problems to viruses when vendors can't figure out what's going on, or don't want to acknowledge faults. In any event, while it's conceivable, I have never heard of using short range wireless communication as a malware attack vector. But is possible to hide nasty code just about anywhere, including the BIOS. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    I don't know what evidence you had that you were attacked. Perhaps you had system problems that were completely the fault of defective hardware or drivers. It has become commonplace to attribute problems to viruses when vendors can't figure out what's going on, or don't want to acknowledge faults. In any event, while it's conceivable, I have never heard of using short range wireless communication as a malware attack vector. But is possible to hide nasty code just about anywhere, including the BIOS. ne_nau.gif
    Your last sentence is pretty much what Dell techs told me over and over. Evidence: active desktop was wiped out, turned white with B&W skull and crossbones prominently front and center (actually a very large B&W triangle with large exclamation point inside it); remaining desktop icons wouldn't stay in place or in some cases operate; attempting to print after overnight standby and at erratic other times would totally shut down computer; docs/spreadsheets would take forever to open or not open at all; internet slowed to a very slow crawl; mouse double click events became single click events; copy/paste became a very sometime thing; registry had to be partially rebuilt; other gnarly symptoms not coming to mind right now. I could follow results on-screen of scan after scan after search after digging through BIOS over a period of weeks, each Dell tech applying his own tricks/workarounds in addition to an apparently standard array of tools, and periodically coming up with strange-looking files they'd get rid of or entering registry code Greek to me. So when each confirmed the party line that we'd been attacked, I believed them. Also adds credibility that I've two early-teen grandsons over here often, visiting who-knows-where on the computer, certainly games, quite possibly elsewhere, so not exactly a closed door.

As of now, bliss! Somewhat blissful before I got rid of wireless mouse/keyboard, but now seemingly 100%. Especially the sometime-print shutdown, took chucking the wireless to achieve that.

I leave the "why's" to the experts, can say only one thing for sure: certainly enjoying use of computer again.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    Evidence: active desktop was wiped out, turned white with B&W skull and crossbones prominently front and center (actually a very large B&W triangle with large exclamation point inside it)...

OK, that sounds convincing. rolleyes1.gif

Glad to hear things have improved. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    Got it, will take a look...Are "Secrets and "Tinker Box" (another dgrinner recommended) more on the order of iPhone aps, cleared by Apple for installation, or am I in need of an understanding adjustment?
    I think Secrets is pretty safe to use, it just allows you to modify some preferences that aren't user-facing without using the command line. Nothing dangerous as far as I can see. Apple doesn't "approve" Mac apps the way they do for the iPhone. OS X will ask you if you want to run/install an app the first time you run it after downloading it, however.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    apple is virus free?
    Being a bit of an Apple fanboy - no prophet so vigorous as the recently converted - I will share my problem with "viruses" on Apple. Being a fan, I bought my student daughter a MacBook to replace her defunct PC. She (still) loves it and the conversion was easy.

The problem (I think) was her installation of Limewire. The next day the MacBook would not boot. It took 3 hours and the help of a brilliant guy on the Applecare line to put everything back to normal - I then removed manually all instances of Limewire and since then no problems (fingers crossed).

I hope I am not being unfair to the Limewire folks but if you browse the forums there are lots of problems with this kind of peer-to-peer hack, also on PCs. One guy said the Limewire effects were similar to what you might expect from sitting on a dirty toilet seat, and he was an apple user.

I reckon that Limewire is one of these programs that likes to start before the OS and Snow Leopard doesn't like it but cannot correct and so hangs. The rogue program wants to takeover your computer and your net connection while lurking in the background.

Incidentally, from the net I learn that this problem has occurred with illegal copies of PS - even shrinkwrapped - and also on Apple. They seem harmless but can be activated to convert your computer to a BOT and launch "denial of service" attacks or ship your bank account details to a third party. You probably do not know that it is happening.

From my recent experience I think that Apple is not immune to malware. It remains a good advice to be careful about what you download and authorise on your computer, and which web-sites you visit. Even so, I think it was easier to have a clean correction with Apple than with Windows and I believe the bad software only ran once - belief. I suspect Windows would not have crashed and god-know-what would have been embedded in the registry and still going on. Ever tried to manually remove malware from Windows?

So I think it is naive to expect no problems with Apple. I am very glad with Applecare - also used to install my Time Machine - and finally paid up for my MBP.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2010
    I think Secrets is pretty safe to use, it just allows you to modify some preferences that aren't user-facing without using the command line. Nothing dangerous as far as I can see. Apple doesn't "approve" Mac apps the way they do for the iPhone. OS X will ask you if you want to run/install an app the first time you run it after downloading it, however.
    Many thanks. Murky world out there. Used to loading many well-reviewed/recommended third-party programs on PC, going to have to decide who to trust all over again. In preparation for big day months in advance (pointed out earlier in thread that PC warranty good for several more months, and since chucking wireless mouse/keyboard, all working good-as-new), I subscribed to MacWorld. Any comment on how reliable the stuff I read there is? Haven't received first issue yet, but presumably includes reviews of third-party software similar to PCWorld. Again, many thanks ...
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2010
    Being a bit of an Apple fanboy - no prophet so vigorous as the recently converted - I will share my problem with "viruses" on Apple. Being a fan, I bought my student daughter a MacBook to replace her defunct PC. She (still) loves it and the conversion was easy.

The problem (I think) was her installation of Limewire. The next day the MacBook would not boot. It took 3 hours and the help of a brilliant guy on the Applecare line to put everything back to normal - I then removed manually all instances of Limewire and since then no problems (fingers crossed).

I hope I am not being unfair to the Limewire folks but if you browse the forums there are lots of problems with this kind of peer-to-peer hack, also on PCs. One guy said the Limewire effects were similar to what you might expect from sitting on a dirty toilet seat, and he was an apple user.

I reckon that Limewire is one of these programs that likes to start before the OS and Snow Leopard doesn't like it but cannot correct and so hangs. The rogue program wants to takeover your computer and your net connection while lurking in the background.

Incidentally, from the net I learn that this problem has occurred with illegal copies of PS - even shrinkwrapped - and also on Apple. They seem harmless but can be activated to convert your computer to a BOT and launch "denial of service" attacks or ship your bank account details to a third party. You probably do not know that it is happening.

From my recent experience I think that Apple is not immune to malware. It remains a good advice to be careful about what you download and authorise on your computer, and which web-sites you visit. Even so, I think it was easier to have a clean correction with Apple than with Windows and I believe the bad software only ran once - belief. I suspect Windows would not have crashed and god-know-what would have been embedded in the registry and still going on. Ever tried to manually remove malware from Windows?

So I think it is naive to expect no problems with Apple. I am very glad with Applecare - also used to install my Time Machine - and finally paid up for my MBP.
    Many thanks for taking the time. From what I understand of Limeware (successor to Napster, right?), seems to be pretty comprehensive software. The things I'm questioning are far more pedestrian, old-style file cabinet stuff, nothing connected to the net, such as hiding things. This example rises to the top only because a slam dunk in pre-computer days, just squirreled them into my car trunk, and a mere few easy clicks with PC, but apparently a pretty big no-no with Mac. Don't understand why, everyone has planned surprise events, gift notes, etc. not meant for prying eyes, at least this "everyone" does. I've had two programs suggested, "Secrets" and "Tinker Box", Apple Store people just roll their eyes, so is there something sinister here I'm missing? One solution suggested is using administrator/sub accounts, but seems huge overkill for such mundane functions. Also suggested was that I merely place a dot (.) before file name, and that hides it, but don't think I've heard an answer yet as to how to unhide. Anyway, one of those little mysteries of life I'm sure I'll overcome, maybe just print the few docs I want hidden, delete, and go back to squirreling in my car trunk ...
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2010
    Many thanks. Murky world out there. Used to loading many well-reviewed/recommended third-party programs on PC, going to have to decide who to trust all over again. In preparation for big day months in advance (pointed out earlier in thread that PC warranty good for several more months, and since chucking wireless mouse/keyboard, all working good-as-new), I subscribed to MacWorld. Any comment on how reliable the stuff I read there is? Haven't received first issue yet, but presumably includes reviews of third-party software similar to PCWorld. Again, many thanks ...
    I can't really speak to the reliability of what MacWorld prints. I've used them as a resource once or twice and haven't been disappointed when I followed their advice. Most recently, I used one of their articles to help decide which USB mic to buy for podcasting. I bought what they recommended and like it. There are plenty of Mac-oriented blogs out there that also review things.

Regarding how to unhide files, I just tried it with an unimportant data file I have lying around, and it's easy: you just remove the "." from the front of the filename. thumb.gif