What Panorama Software/Hardware?

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited May 7, 2011 in Accessories
Every now and then I see a stitched pano that just looks totally seamless. How is this done? Is a pano tripod head required? Or just better software? Both? I'm using the Canon PhotoStitch software now that just came with the camera. It does a decent job, but I can always see seams - sometimes subtle, sometimes not.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Every now and then I see a stitched pano that just looks totally seamless. How is this done? Is a pano tripod head required? Or just better software? Both? I'm using the Canon PhotoStitch software now that just came with the camera. It does a decent job, but I can always see seams - sometimes subtle, sometimes not.

I don't know about software, but I've heard really good things about the Really Right Stuff pano gear.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010

I use a free program called Hugin that you can download online (Google will turn it up for you). I have sometimes shot panos from a tripod, but usually I just shoot them hand-held and try to move like a tripod :D -- it generally works. Hugin does a good job of aligning images and correcting for perspective and vignetting. It helps if you manually add lots of matching points between adjacent images.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 9, 2010
    All I use is CS4's Pano merging menu.

It is important when shooting panos, to put your camera in Manual mode, so that the exposure does not vary from frame to frame. Shooting in Av or Auto will cause the exposure to vary a bit from frame to frame.

When shooting with wider angle lenses, pano gear can help a lot. If you are shooting mild tele lenses, pano gear is less needed - a bit. I shoot a number drive by panos hand held - but always in Manual Mode with the AF turned off ( unless I forget to turn AF off)

Here is one of those drive by hand held panos - 8 0r 10 frames if memory serves

Here is another handheld of ~10 frame pano, shot of jpgs in a hurry - heresy I say!! - Garden of the Gods at sunset
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    CS3 photomerge utility.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited February 9, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    All I use is CS4's Pano merging menu.

It is important when shooting panos, to put your camera in Manual mode, so that the exposure does not vary from frame to frame. Shooting in Av or Auto will cause the exposure to vary a bit from frame to frame.

When shooting with wider angle lenses, pano gear can help a lot. If you are shooting mild tele lenses, pano gear is less needed - a bit. I shoot a number drive by panos hand held - but always in Manual Mode with the AF turned off ( unless I forget to turn AF off)

These are good points. I never shoot panos with wide-angle lenses because turning the camera alters the perspective too radically. Good pano software can correct for this, but the price you pay is a loss of sharpness -- and most wide-angle lenses aren't that sharp toward the corners to begin with. I typically use 50mm or longer (FF) when shooting panos.

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    I typically use 50mm or longer (FF) when shooting panos.

I was wondering about that. I'll just be doing single-row panos for a while to start, so I was thinking a 50mm prime would be best, but then I thought maybe 35mm to get more vertical range in portrait orientation. Your thoughts?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited February 9, 2010
    I was wondering about that. I'll just be doing single-row panos for a while to start, so I was thinking a 50mm prime would be best, but then I thought maybe 35mm to get more vertical range in portrait orientation. Your thoughts?

35's not that much wider than 50 (especially on APS-C), so you should be fine.

I've done double and triple-row panos using 50mm. It's time-consuming to get it right (mostly in the stitching) but not really difficult.

• mutti_wilsonmutti_wilson Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    I use Autostitch. Free and super easy to use.

http://www.photo-freeware.net/autostitch.php
    Bodies: D300, D200
    Lenses: Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Tokina AT-X 828 AF Pro 80-200mm f/2.8, Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Accessories: Nikon SB-600, Zeikos Grip, Original Tilt-All Tripod, Smith-Victor BH-52 Ball Head, Various Filters etc.
    edited February 9, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    35's not that much wider than 50 (especially on APS-C), so you should be fine.

I use a 5DII.
    -Jack

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 9, 2010
    While a panoramic head is not absolutely required fpr stitched panoramic images, it does eliminate much of the parallax error that occurs from trying to stitch images shot from a rotation other that the optic center of a given lens, often called the "nodal point" of the lens (although it's not perfectly accurate to use that term for this purpose, but it's common parlance.) This is most important if you have foreground elements close to the camera position. If everything in the scene is at a considerable distance, it's not as important.

It is also relatively vital to keep the images level as tilted images will reduce the usable area of the resulting stitched panorama.

The RRS panoramic system that Cab mentioned is indeed very nice and given your listed equipment probably a very good choice for you.

Good software includes Autopano Pro (possibly the best overall choice) and, if you use Windows, freeware combinations like Autopano-SIFT and Hugin. While the latter is freeware the resulting quality can be very nice, but it is largely manual control and time consuming.

Using manual exposure is absolutely vital and if the lighting changes between image acquision, you might have to start over. Blending dissimilar exposures is frustrating.

Do check out the best panoramic thread ever:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101529

Results:

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=990541&postcount=274
    http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=994328&postcount=293

Be sure to see what Baldy did here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1039964&postcount=362
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1039966&postcount=363
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited February 9, 2010
    Thanks Ziggy, good info.

Man, just tried CS3 Photomerge for the first time - wow! This is a lot better than what Canon PhotoStitch was coming up with... not bad for being on a moving chairlift...

jh_casper_pan_s.jpg
    -Jack

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited February 9, 2010
    I made a little tutorial about proper alignment of shots with a panoramic head a while back. Might be of help.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    In addition to the manual exposure control (SS, aperture, ISO) mentioned by Ziggy, you also want to ensure you (1) shoot RAW, and (2) a tip I learned from Marc Muench ... select a WB other than AWB.

It can often happen when you used AWB that the WB selected by the camera will change from one frame to the next. This makes getting a consistant WB across all the frames quite difficult (DAMHIK).

And, since you are shooting RAW, it doesn't matter what WB you use, as long as it's the same across all the frames. This way, you adjust the WB in post for one frame and you can use the exact same WB adjustment for all of them.
    edited February 10, 2010
    In addition to the manual exposure control (SS, aperture, ISO) mentioned by Ziggy, you also want to ensure you (1) shoot RAW, and (2) a tip I learned from Marc Muench ... select a WB other than AWB.

It can often happen when you used AWB that the WB selected by the camera will change from one frame to the next. This makes getting a consistant WB across all the frames quite difficult (DAMHIK).

And, since you are shooting RAW, it doesn't matter what WB you use, as long as it's the same across all the frames. This way, you adjust the WB in post for one frame and you can use the exact same WB adjustment for all of them.

That makes no sense. If you're shooting RAW, it doesn't matter what WB is set in the camera. Your last paragraph would be correct if you removed "as long as it's the same across all the frames." If you set WB in PP for the first frame and apply the same WB settings to the other frames, then it doesn't matter what the original camera-recommended WB was in the other frames.

edited February 10, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    That makes no sense. If you're shooting RAW, it doesn't matter what WB is set in the camera. Your last paragraph would be correct if you removed "as long as it's the same across all the frames." If you set WB in PP for the first frame and apply the same WB settings to the other frames, then it doesn't matter what the original camera-recommended WB was in the other frames.
    I do believe you're right. I know when I first heard this it made sense to me. Now, after thinking about it more, it doesn't seem so. headscratch.gifne_nau.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 10, 2010
    The real trick about WB, is that in ACR ( Adobe Camera Raw convertor ) you highlight all the frames for your pano at the same time, and synch the processing of each and every frame in ACR, so that they each get the same WB, exposure, fill, black point, sharpening, chromatic aberration correction. THEN do your Photo merge.

You're right Scott, Marc gets credit for teaching that to us all at the Shoot outs in the fall.

I think Scott's point about an actual Sun or Shade, rather than AWB, is more true if you are shooting jpgs to merge, rather than RAW files. I do shoot jpgs this way sometimes, when I am shooting snapshots that I plan to merge for one big snapshot. Shooting RAW is better if your goal is fine art quality, but sometimes, I am just shooting snapshots, and jpgs merge nicely for panos IF you shoot in Manual mode, with AF turned off, and WB specified as Scott said.

If you shoot RAW, you can specify WB to synch in ACR
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited February 10, 2010
    AF turned off - I knew I was forgetting something! deal.gifbowdown.gif

And, just for fun ... here's a pano I made in 2008 with an IR-converted 20D with EF 50mm f/1.4 @ f/4. Hand-held, 14 exposures in portrait orientation, and stitched in CS3. I was sitting on some rocks and rotating my body at my waist, and using the focus points (aligned with the shoreline) to keep the panning on the same level. Worked pretty well.
    298140683_Frnhu-XL.jpg
  • jnsuffolkjnsuffolk Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    how much overlap
    How much overlap does everyone use when doing panos. I usually do them by hand myself. and was just curious. 6 shots or so give me a 12 by 36 anymore and I'll go broke on the frame. Laughing.gif
    edited February 10, 2010
    jnsuffolk wrote:
    How much overlap does everyone use when doing panos.

Close to 50%.

edited February 10, 2010
    jnsuffolk wrote:
    How much overlap does everyone use when doing panos. I usually do them by hand myself. and was just curious. 6 shots or so give me a 12 by 36 anymore and I'll go broke on the frame. Laughing.gif

It partly depends on the lens that you use and the amount of vertical space you can afford to lose.

Lenses with a lot of curvilinear distortion will need to be adjusted for the distortion to properly overlap and that results in "humps" which you generally crop away from the final presentation image. So for lenses with much curvilinear distortion you need more overlap than for better geometrically corrected lenses.
    ziggy53
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    I would like to try doing a pano, and I have a MacBook Pro..

i don't want to spend a fortune on software or hardware, any suggestions?

I tried the Hugin app, which didn't work.
    headscratch.gif
    edited March 10, 2010
    DeeCajun wrote:

headscratch.gif

Canon Photostitch is decent, if you have a Canon it came with it. If you have Photoshop CS3 or 4, the Photomerge tool works even better. It might even be in Photoshop Elements, I don't know. I did this with Photomerge, and I shot it hand-held from a moving chairlift. It is significantly better than the version that Canon Photostitch cobbled together. 7 vertical shots:

jh_casper_pan_s.jpg
    -Jack

edited March 10, 2010
    DeeCajun wrote:

headscratch.gif

Kolor Autopano Pro is pretty good stuff.

See what our Baldy did using it on a Mac:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1039966
    ziggy53
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    I tried the demo version of Autopano.. its very good! thank you, I may have to purchase! thumb.gif
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 28, 2011
    DeeCajun wrote: »
    I tried the demo version of Autopano.. its very good! thank you, I may have to purchase! thumb.gif
    I do a few stitches now and then with ptgui, but I keep coming back to Autopano
    for most of the stitches I do.

We just hung a 40-foot wide print, 80-inches high, made from 300 shots, of Prague on a snowy morning and
    AutopanoPro 2.5 just mowed through it like buttah. It was tough because there were boats moving down the river,
    people walking across bridges, cars moving, etc., and it somehow de-ghosted the whole thing almost perfectly.

Here's the toughest stitch I've ever done. The camera was hand-held, players were running around the bases, the
    crowd was insane, it was 6 shots, and yet....who would have thought Autopano could stitch this? We made a couch-
    sized print of it:

1160247194_7YvTT-X3.jpg

(Actually, our print was from a later version where the grass wasn't so over-saturated.
    Bigger size of this one: http://www.onedgephoto.com/Smugmug/SmugMug-Office-V20-Possible/15358525_wENjp#1160247194_7YvTT-O-LB )
    edited April 28, 2011
    Baldy wrote: »

Here's the toughest stitch I've ever done. The camera was hand-held, players were running around the bases, the
    crowd was insane, it was 6 shots, and yet....who would have thought Autopano could stitch this? We made a couch-
    sized print of it:

Pretty amazing! thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 28, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Pretty amazing! thumb.gifclap
    Thanks! It's funny, if you look on the third base line, there's a runner preparing to score, but as you look to the right the huge monitor shows him having already crossed the plate, because that frame was taken later.

Autopano and ptgui let you make HDR panos too, either by stitching into separate layers for each exposure so you can feed the result into your fav HDR software, or by doing the HDR themselves (I haven't tried that).
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    Baldy, I just tried the Autopano today. wow! I really do like the software! thank you!
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2011
    Excuse me for being ignorant but whenever i put my 5dmk2 into manual mode my exposure jumps all over the scale when i am doing panos. I tried it in Programme mode and i think i let the camera make too many decisions for me. I dont want to take from this tread but can anyone help me please?

Regards
    Patrick:D
    edited May 6, 2011
    Excuse me for being ignorant but whenever i put my 5dmk2 into manual mode my exposure jumps all over the scale when i am doing panos. I tried it in Programme mode and i think i let the camera make too many decisions for me. I dont want to take from this tread but can anyone help me please?

Regards
    Patrick:D

Manual exposure mode is best. As with any photograph you have to decide on a subject and then expose for the subject.

If the overall scene dynamic range is beyond a single exposure then use multiple exposures and HDR or manual tone blending to combine each frame's exposures before stitching together for the panorama. As long as you are consistent with your process you should be able to make a convincing overlap.
    ziggy53