Options

Alien Bees Flash Units...

Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
edited March 28, 2010 in Accessories
So I am just a learning portraiture photographer, trying to get better. I've heard a lot about the Alien Bees flash units and how they are great for beginners, but not a "high quality" flash unit. Looking at the price tag, I can see that. However I'm wondering why? What is bad about them that makes them so cheap? What breaks when it breaks? Does it break fast? Is it replaceable, if so...for cheap? Is the light quality poor?

Thanks for anyone's help. My girlfriend and I are looking at getting a set of the B800's pretty soon.

-Bryce

Comments

• Options
    ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    I'm no expert because I've only had mine for about two months. I ordered the 800 as well because I was doing a sports league and needed something that used ac power for all day shooting. Of course as soon as it came in I had to play with it in my home studio and was pleased with how simple it is to use. As I said I used it for about 11 hours of continued shooting with a 30 minute lunch break. I did this shoot with the sync cord plugged directly to the camera and it performed flawlessly. For the next shoot I used it in tandem with another light that I fired with a Cybersync radio trigger. The 800 fired all day using the built in slave trigger and again performed flawlessly. I'm sure as I mature as a photographer I might find somthing this light lacks. But for now I can't imagine a better on-location light.

Wes
    www.clix-photo.com
  • Options
    John KeaneJohn Keane Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Alien Bees
    I have a pair of AB800 lights. I love them. Light weight, simple construction and reliable. Recycle time is fast and the light output is consistent.

I use them to shoot portraits, pets, maternity and small groups. I have never seen a reason to switch to anything else.

Here's the kicker. What if something breaks you asked? One of my AB800 lights had a problem within a couple of days of purchase. I called AB and received a replacement shipped the next day - overnight. No charge I just sent the defective one back in the same box with the RMA # provided.

That to me is great service. For a very good, reasonably priced product.

ps. It's been 5+ years now without further problems.
    John
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    John Keane wrote:
    I have a pair of AB800 lights. I love them. Light weight, simple construction and reliable. Recycle time is fast and the light output is consistent.

I use them to shoot portraits, pets, maternity and small groups. I have never seen a reason to switch to anything else.

Here's the kicker. What if something breaks you asked? One of my AB800 lights had a problem within a couple of days of purchase. I called AB and received a replacement shipped the next day - overnight. No charge I just sent the defective one back in the same box with the RMA # provided.

John

As a lot of Dgrinners KNOW I really tout PRAISES for the Paul C Buff family of companies.......White Lightnings and Alein Bees.....I have never owned an Alien yet but will in the future.........my praise comes from the fact that I have been using WL lights for neigh on 25yrs.....they never gave me a problem until they were around 10yrs old...yep heading in to teenage hood....just like kids that is where a problem might arise.....but my problem steemed from the use of masking take to hold gels on the light.......pulling masking tape off the roll can cause a lot of static electricity build up....well so can pulling it off the metal light frame/reflector.......I did not know I killed the light.....got ready to use it the next day and it would not charge or fire......so I placed a call to Nashville and asked for Paul......yeah I told the receptionist I would not speak with anyone but the owner as I was very upset.....I fully expected a voice telling me he was to busy and I could speak with a tech......all of a sudden a voice declares I am Paul Buff what can I do for you.......I studdered and stammered a bit and told him that the light had worlked great for a wedding the day before but would not do anything to day and it was out of warranty.....he asked when the warranty had run out and I told him exactly 5 yrs ago.....he laughed and said is that all just 5 yrs ago....send it back and we will take a look and call you with a price.....I did and he sent a letter back in less than a week with the flash that it must have been some type of static discharge from something inside and it was deemed a manufacturing defect and was fixed free of charge.........but noit to use making tape to hold gels on ever again and there was a bag of 10 plastic self adhesive clips labeled gel holders.......

I have sent other flashes back for re-building and was charged a whole whopping $75 for a complete re-build........

The customer service has been fantastic for me and I know where the product is built and repaired.........

I also have a greater respect for the AB as a PRO lighting Unit than I did in the Past......as I really like watching the Olympics especially the Winter ones and as posted in a Thread entitled "An Observation.........." I told of watching the Nightly recaps of the athletes photos by Getty Imaging......and every Night I saw a different shot of a photog getting ready to photograph an athlete and in that shot was always a single AB on a stand with an umbrella.......I have seen different colors of the Light......the first time I just blew it off saying to my self....why did that photog take that shot......then I looked closer and said dang that is an AB on the left side.......why a shooter for Getty Images uses AB's...........If they went to Vancouver they must be tough and reliable....not to mention light weight as none of us want to pay any extra for extra weight if we don't have toomwink.gifwink
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 28, 2010
    John Keane wrote:

John
    Art Scott wrote:
    As a lot of Dgrinners KNOW I really tout PRAISES for the Paul C Buff family of companies.......White Lightnings and Alein Bees.....I have never owned an Alien yet but will in the future.........my praise comes from the fact that I have been using WL lights for neigh on 25yrs.....they never gave me a problem until they were around 10yrs old...yep heading in to teenage hood....just like kids that is where a problem might arise.....but my problem steemed from the use of masking take to hold gels on the light.......pulling masking tape off the roll can cause a lot of static electricity build up....well so can pulling it off the metal light frame/reflector.......I did not know I killed the light.....got ready to use it the next day and it would not charge or fire......so I placed a call to Nashville and asked for Paul......yeah I told the receptionist I would not speak with anyone but the owner as I was very upset.....I fully expected a voice telling me he was to busy and I could speak with a tech......all of a sudden a voice declares I am Paul Buff what can I do for you.......I studdered and stammered a bit and told him that the light had worlked great for a wedding the day before but would not do anything to day and it was out of warranty.....he asked when the warranty had run out and I told him exactly 5 yrs ago.....he laughed and said is that all just 5 yrs ago....send it back and we will take a look and call you with a price.....I did and he sent a letter back in less than a week with the flash that it must have been some type of static discharge from something inside and it was deemed a manufacturing defect and was fixed free of charge.........but noit to use making tape to hold gels on ever again and there was a bag of 10 plastic self adhesive clips labeled gel holders.......

I have sent other flashes back for re-building and was charged a whole whopping $75 for a complete re-build........

The customer service has been fantastic for me and I know where the product is built and repaired.........

I also have a greater respect for the AB as a PRO lighting Unit than I did in the Past......as I really like watching the Olympics especially the Winter ones and as posted in a Thread entitled "An Observation.........." I told of watching the Nightly recaps of the athletes photos by Getty Imaging......and every Night I saw a different shot of a photog getting ready to photograph an athlete and in that shot was always a single AB on a stand with an umbrella.......I have seen different colors of the Light......the first time I just blew it off saying to my self....why did that photog take that shot......then I looked closer and said dang that is an AB on the left side.......why a shooter for Getty Images uses AB's...........If they went to Vancouver they must be tough and reliable....not to mention light weight as none of us want to pay any extra for extra weight if we don't have toomwink.gifwink

WOW!!!!! To both of your stories, more so yours Scott. That is extremely impressive! I believe you both have sealed the deal for me in purchasing these lights. Customer Service like that will win me over a sub par product many times, and this phonemonal Customer Service even is backing a Great product! Wow...Now I am REALLY excited to order these. I'm kinda excited for something to go wrong too so I can deal with such great customer service. There is something about a company that works with it's customers to make them happy that I just really admire, especially in these days.
  • Options
    Test-PilotTest-Pilot Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    With such high praise that's been shown here, there's not much more I can add about the lights' reliability and the company's customer service. So I'll touch upon the lights' user-friendliness: I've heard people say that they're great lights for the beginner. Yes, they are. But not because they're cheap or inexpensive, but because they are so easy to use. And their ease of use does NOT make then crappy or insufficient. Quite the contrary, as you grow as a photographer, the lights will remain steadfastly quick & easy to use and as reliable as always. At worst, you may want to buy more lights in the future, or maybe step up to the AB1600's or the RingLight.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2010
    Test-Pilot wrote:
    With such high praise that's been shown here, there's not much more I can add about the lights' reliability and the company's customer service. So I'll touch upon the lights' user-friendliness: I've heard people say that they're great lights for the beginner. Yes, they are. But not because they're cheap or inexpensive, but because they are so easy to use. And their ease of use does NOT make then crappy or insufficient. Quite the contrary, as you grow as a photographer, the lights will remain steadfastly quick & easy to use and as reliable as always. At worst, you may want to buy more lights in the future, or maybe step up to the AB1600's or the RingLight.

Awesome. I have played with them a little bit. I assisted a local photographer on a head shot shoot for a guy running for US Congress. She had two fo the AB400's. They are very easy to use and they worked great. This is actually what sparked the interest.

Question though, These do work with Pocket Wizards right? I've got the PlusII's...
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    I used a set of 4, triggered with PocketWizard II radio triggers, for more than 3 years. I NEVER had an issue. They fired the first time, every time .... unless I made a mistake. Customer service - called them once or twice - it went well. Place an order - it arrives as advertised and well packaged. I just sold two of them and had no qualms about doing so (I have a lens that I will never sell because I don't trust it).

Oh, and with Alien Bee strobes, you aren't limited to just one color for the case - they come in
    • Martian (eek7.gif) Pink - my niece would love that - she's really into pink
    • Alien Green mwink.gif
    • Mello Yello (isn't that trademarked? ne_nau.gif)
    • White, and
    • black
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    You wont find many second hand Alienbees. That should be a sign enough.

The light output is excellent. I am really happy with just the 400's as I am always running them at 1/8 power or less.

These days though I just use speedlights. They are faster to setup and more portable for my needs, even in studio.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    Awesome. Thanks everyone for your input. Sealed the deal. Will be getting three or four of these here soon. Can't wait!
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Many of us who use (or want to buy) the AlienBee units have been following the long-awaited arrival of the Einstein flash unit. At $439.95, it will be more expensive than the ABs but has some really intriguing features. I'm on the pre-order list.

Paul Buff's latest update is here:
    http://www.paulcbuff.com/pcb2009/einstein.html
    Unfortunately, it appears that their chief engineer recently sufferred a grand mal seizure. Let's hope he gets well soon, for his sake.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    I just used my single AB800 and umbrella for a maternity shoot. I can't post pics because I haven't got client auth yet, but I was very pleased with the light. You know why? Because I forgot it was there, it just worked, it was a consistent output of light and was perfect every time. Which is how good technology works, it allows you to forget it's being used and you can concentrate on the task at hand.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2010
    Even though the overwhelming majority of comments across the net about the ABs are praise, I *believe* that most of the negative comments that are directed towards the ABs come from folks who are trying to justify spending twice the price or more on similar units. It's a natural defense mechanism that we are all guilty of sometimes. How can it be pro quality at that price???? :)

I think anyone would be hard pressed to look at a properly lit photo and determine the brand of flash that was used. I think Buff has achieved a business model that allows him to deliver quality engineered goods direct to the consumer at affordable prices....favoring market share over profit-margin-per-unit.
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    The news of the chief engineer's illness is very saddening, not because of the product, but because it sounds serious and it sounds like he has a deep personal friendship with Paul Buff. I hope for his rapid and uneventful recovery.

I bought my Alien Bee on the web and called the company to make sure the order went through. The operator on the phone was so helpful and actually made sure that the light was going to be delivered on the same day (I ordered at 12pm est) and shortly afterward, I got the email notification of shipment.

They seem to be a very customer service orientated firm and one that really cares about making the client happy. I have rarely felt such ownership of the client experience. I look forward to ordering more AB800's and some modifiers as well.

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    I can't post pics because I haven't got client auth yet, but I was very pleased with the light..

Do you use a contract for portrait shoots? I have a built in model release in all of my contracts and I always have for the last 25+ yrs..........it has never been a problem..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    Do you use a contract for portrait shoots? I have a built in model release in all of my contracts and I always have for the last 25+ yrs..........it has never been a problem..........

For Maternity, no built in agreement, as most mothers are concerned about anyone on the internet seeing pics they are not happy with. I usually try to let the mothers review and then release when they are happy. I don't think I'll have a problem getting release, however today was the mother's due date (shot on last Sat) and haven't had a chance to discuss as I'm sure she's busy with other things.

Question Art, for Maternity shoots, no woman has ever asked about releasing prior to signing the contract? For normal portraits it's one thing, but maternity is a little different.

-- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    FWIW, I have been bidding on used AB 400's and 800's on Ebay for the past several months. They all seem to sell for less than $20 of the factory new price and of course have no warranty! Add the Ebay shipping and you might as well buy new! Will buy a new set this week directly from the factory.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2010
    FlyNavy wrote:
    FWIW, I have been bidding on used AB 400's and 800's on Ebay for the past several months. They all seem to sell for less than $20 of the factory new price and of course have no warranty! Add the Ebay shipping and you might as well buy new! Will buy a new set this week directly from the factory.

The biggest reason they go so high on Ebay is because the supply is limited and AlienBees have a hard time supplying international orders. Look for an auction that is US only and it should bid a little bit lower. In the end I believe it IS worth just buying new when dealing with AB lighting... the customer service alone wings.gifbarb
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    And you should have them in hand in two days thumb.gif

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    I just ordered 3 AB 800's, a backlight stand, 10' stand, 3 sync cords, 1 large soft box, and three carrying cases for the lights. I am SOOOOOO excited to get them. I CAN'T WAIT!!! I have been jonesing for these for about three weeks now.

Thanks to everyone for their comments on these products.
  • Options
    Test-PilotTest-Pilot Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    btw, if you order multiple units at once, you get a DISCOUNT. The discount increases as you buy more! The last time I ordered anything from them, the discount was such that it was like getting free shipping AND a lower price!! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    I just ordered 3 AB 800's, a backlight stand, 10' stand, 3 sync cords, 1 large soft box, and three carrying cases for the lights. I am SOOOOOO excited to get them. I CAN'T WAIT!!! I have been jonesing for these for about three weeks now.

Thanks to everyone for their comments on these products.

I thought they come with the sync cords... mine did. And why 3 sync cords?
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    I thought they come with the sync cords... mine did. And why 3 sync cords?

Well, I think they come with 3.5mm to PC sync. Since I'm using PWII's, I need 3.5mm - 3.5mm. So I had to order those. As for why I ordered three, since you mentioned it, I don't know why I ordered three. I could have gotten away with two as I only have two PW's.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    Actually you have gotten away with 1 a the AB (and all of Paul Buffs Lights) have built in optical slaves.........or are PWll's doing ttl now???

• Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    Actually you have gotten away with 1 a the AB (and all of Paul Buffs Lights) have built in optical slaves.........or are PWll's doing ttl now???

I know they've got built in optical slaves, but I've got 2 (well three if you count the triggering one on camera) PWII's, so I might as well use them. Plus if one of them is around a corner or something and can't pick up via the optical slave, then I'll be lucky to have it. I actually had this happen on a shoot I was on today with a photographer (I was the assistant) where we needed to switch the wireless trigger from one light to another, because it wasn't triggering via the optical slave.

I don't know if PWII's are doing ttl now. So far I've been using my 580EXII and 420EX and have just been shooting on manual (well with the 580 at least, as the 420 is just turn on and shoot, no real adjustment).
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2010
    Well, I think they come with 3.5mm to PC sync. Since I'm using PWII's, I need 3.5mm - 3.5mm. So I had to order those. As for why I ordered three, since you mentioned it, I don't know why I ordered three. I could have gotten away with two as I only have two PW's.

Sorry. I thought you ordered 3 sync cords to try to plug all three to a camera.rolleyes1.gif If you are using radios, I would put each light on a radio and not use optical slaves. Optical slaves aren't reliable even in the same room, and if you are in an environment where someone else is using a camera you will miss shots because your lights will fire at the wrong time.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Sorry. I thought you ordered 3 sync cords to try to plug all three to a camera.rolleyes1.gif If you are using radios, I would put each light on a radio and not use optical slaves. Optical slaves aren't reliable even in the same room, and if you are in an environment where someone else is using a camera you will miss shots because your lights will fire at the wrong time.

Yeah, well I've got two PWII's, so I might as well be using them...
  • Options
    shutterstephshuttersteph Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    I'm about to get on AB400. I'm wanting a very simple setup. Forgive me if some of my questions are dumb, but I am a studio lighting newbie. It's not the lighting concepts that I have trouble with, it's the technology and how to make it all work. So first question, with the AB 400 does it come with a cord that can plug into an electrical outlet for power? Another post on here made me think it does not but I really need that. I do not need any remote triggers or anything right? It has a cord that goes from camera to light to communicate with each other, correct? I understand that I can shoot wirelessly with additional accessories if I choose, but for now I need to do it on the cheap. That's all I can think of for now. TIA
    Stephanie Moon
    Canon equipment
    My website
    equine.pet.people
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2010
    I'm about to get on AB400. I'm wanting a very simple setup. Forgive me if some of my questions are dumb, but I am a studio lighting newbie. It's not the lighting concepts that I have trouble with, it's the technology and how to make it all work. So first question, with the AB 400 does it come with a cord that can plug into an electrical outlet for power? Another post on here made me think it does not but I really need that. I do not need any remote triggers or anything right? It has a cord that goes from camera to light to communicate with each other, correct? I understand that I can shoot wirelessly with additional accessories if I choose, but for now I need to do it on the cheap. That's all I can think of for now. TIA

They come with a standard grounded US Plug. They also come with a cord to attach from the camera to the light for control, but have the slave trigger built into the unit for the optical slave.

-- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited March 19, 2010
    ... have the slave trigger built into the unit for the optical slave.

To elaborate I believe that the AB monolights have a "simple" optical slave meaning that they trigger on the first flash pulse.

If you have a modern digital camera and if the flash on the camera, either the built-in flash or a dedicated external flash, emits a "preflash" (most do), then you either need to defeat the preflash or use a manual or "auto" flash that works without a preflash. Alternately you may attach an external "digital" optical slave or use a radio transmitter/slave to fire the AB.

I recommend a simple radio slave system as it also works nicely outdoors, where most optical slaves struggle.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    To elaborate I believe that the AB monolights have a "simple" optical slave meaning that they trigger on the first flash pulse.

If you have a modern digital camera and if the flash on the camera, either the built-in flash or a dedicated external flash, emits a "preflash" (most do), then you either need to defeat the preflash or use a manual or "auto" flash that works without a preflash. Alternately you may attach an external "digital" optical slave or use a radio transmitter/slave to fire the AB.

I recommend a simple radio slave system as it also works nicely outdoors, where most optical slaves struggle.

This is all very much correctthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Steph.....Why did you decide on an AB400 over an 800........reason I am asking is that it won't take you long to be wishing you had more power......something to always remeber.....you can adjust for less power, but that flash cannot be made to output MORE power..........so if you can swing the 800 I would recommend that.
    The AB's are a fantastic light from what I have heard, I do know first hand what type of customer service you can expect as I have used Paul Buff lights for a very very very long time.............