SmugMug on Roku - NOW AVAILABLE !!

hoffmcshoffmcs Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
A couple of weeks ago, Roku released a SDK to add channels to their platform. I decided to write a channel to view SmugMug accounts.

The channel currently includes:
  • Popular Photos - Browse popular photos (from smugmug.com/popular feed)
  • Albums - View Recently Updated Albums (reverse date order)
  • Categories & Subcategories - Browse your albums by category
  • Friends & Family Albums - Browse your linked Friends and Family SmugMug sites
  • Video - Video only albums show list of videos while mixed albums show a selector screen
  • Random Slideshow - Generate a random slideshow from all albums

I hope you like the channel and look forward to your feedback.

Chris

EDIT: 1/29/2010 - The channel is now officially available in the Roku Channel Store! Please post any feedback in this thread.

Comments

• Loose360Loose360 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 8, 2010
    Works great, thank you very much.

Here are a few pics of the menu
  • phototristanphototristan Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Great work! From what I can tell so far, this application is a real winner.
    Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    http://help.smugmug.com/
  • pincusbpincusb Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 23, 2010
    tester
    Hi Chris,
    I'd like to sign up to be a tester for my Smug Mug on Roku. I have an SD TV.
    Thanks,
    Paul Beckman
    beckman.paul@gmail.com
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2010
    Just saw the new channel officially in the channel store. It works great! Kudos to smugmug for getting a roku channel :D
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 30, 2010
    karlabbott wrote:
    Just saw the new channel officially in the channel store. It works great! Kudos to smugmug for getting a roku channel :D

actually, kudos to Chris, the 3rd party developer...it's all due to him

bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • SewermanSewerman Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    Thanks Chris I'll give it try after workclap.gif
    Don't sweat the petty things and Don't pet the sweaty things!

http://plumgraphics.net
    J D Plummer

• pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Great job! Thanks.
    Chris,

Very nice. Thanks for taking the time to program it. I could see running this in the background during a party or to show pics when relatives visit.

I like the simple, straight-forward interface. Good job. I have run into a problem though.

Is the number of categories limited? I have 11 categories that contain pictures, but only eight of these categories show up on Roku.

Thanks,
    Pat
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    Awesome work! I'll have to check this out on a TV that's got it.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • hoffmcshoffmcs Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    pat.kane wrote:
    Chris,

Very nice. Thanks for taking the time to program it. I could see running this in the background during a party or to show pics when relatives visit.

I like the simple, straight-forward interface. Good job. I have run into a problem though.

Is the number of categories limited? I have 11 categories that contain pictures, but only eight of these categories show up on Roku.

Thanks,
    Pat
    Pat,
    I found the issue with the categories that are not showing up. It looks like if you have a category with only sub-categories and no galleries directly under the category, it will not show up in the list. I know this isn't the greatest solution but if you add an album with at least on picture directly to the category, it should show up. I will work to get this resolved soon. It may take some time since it has to go through the Roku quality assurance process. Thanks for reporting the bug.

Chris

EDIT: Updated workaround procedure as directed by Pat
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    hoffmcs wrote:
    It looks like if you have a category with only sub-categories and no galleries directly under the category, it will not show up in the list.

Thanks Chris, that is indeed the problem. I added an empty gallery and still no luck; however, once I put one picture in that gallery, the category with its subcategories and galleries shows up.
    edited February 12, 2010
    pat.kane wrote:
    Thanks Chris, that is indeed the problem. I added an empty gallery and still no luck; however, once I put one picture in that gallery, the category with its subcategories and galleries shows up.
    Thanks for trying it out. There were a lot of things I did to try and clean up galleries in the Roku interface and this was one thing I missed. Thanks for the updated procedure, I will amend my original post.
  • bgatesbgates Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2010
    problem with Roku
    Chris,

This is a great channel for me since I have a lot of photos on Smugmug.

Unfortunately there is a problem. When I access the general category of photos, i.e. "popular photos," etc. they display fine. But when I access my galleries (all of which show up), I get an image that takes up about 1/4 of the lower right quadrant of the screen, and the entire photo doesn't show (it is off the lower right of the screen). I can scroll through the images ok.

I have a Samsung 40" LCD, model LN40B630N.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Bob
    edited February 15, 2010
    bgates wrote:
    Chris,

This is a great channel for me since I have a lot of photos on Smugmug.

Unfortunately there is a problem. When I access the general category of photos, i.e. "popular photos," etc. they display fine. But when I access my galleries (all of which show up), I get an image that takes up about 1/4 of the lower right quadrant of the screen, and the entire photo doesn't show (it is off the lower right of the screen). I can scroll through the images ok.

I have a Samsung 40" LCD, model LN40B630N.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Bob
    This is very interesting because I am having the same issue as you with your photos, so it is not your TV. Let me look into it some more and get back to you.

Chris
    edited February 15, 2010
    Thanks Chris, at least I'm glad to know it's not just me.

Bob
    edited February 16, 2010
    I have found a way to solve the issue with the images. I believe the issue stems from certain settings on your account but have not exactly pinpointed exactly which one. Regardless, the issue should be fixed with the next release. 2 other people have also reported this issue. I am currently working with the QA team at Roku to get the channel updated in the channel store. Hopefully it will be available in a couple of days.
    edited February 16, 2010
  • romsriniromsrini Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    hoffmcs wrote:
    I have found a way to solve the issue with the images. I believe the issue stems from certain settings on your account but have not exactly pinpointed exactly which one. Regardless, the issue should be fixed with the next release. 2 other people have also reported this issue. I am currently working with the QA team at Roku to get the channel updated in the channel store. Hopefully it will be available in a couple of days.

I am experiencing the same problem. I would soooo love it if you could fix this.
    Thanks!
    --

Il n'y a qu'un heroisme au monde:
    c'est de voir le monde tel qu'il est, et de l'aimer.
    There is only 1 kind of heroism in the world:
    that is to see the world as it is, and to love it.
    - Romain Rolland
    edited February 20, 2010
    The updates have been with Roku since Tuesday and I am just waiting for them to release. They said this week but I guess it will be next week. I will keep you posted.
    edited February 22, 2010
    The new version is now available. You box should automatically update within 24 hours or you can force the update by just visiting the channel store and exiting.

Let me know if you run into any issues.
    Chris
    edited February 22, 2010
    hoffmcs wrote:
    The new version is now available. You box should automatically update within 24 hours or you can force the update by just visiting the channel store and exiting.

Chris
    By the way, included in this update are the following fixes/enhancements.
    • Fix: Galleries that only include subcategories do not display in the category screen
    • Fix: Some slideshows display the images cut off in the lower right hand of the screen
    • Enhancement: New setting to control slideshow speed. Settings include 3, 5, and 10 second intervals
  • romsriniromsrini Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2010
    hoffmcs wrote:

Chris

Thanks Chris!

The fix worked perfectly. I can now see my pictures in their full screen glory and am planning on having my first ever slideshow party.

I work in the software industry and do a lot of volunteer work so I really appreciate the volunteer time and effort you put into this.
    --

Il n'y a qu'un heroisme au monde:
    c'est de voir le monde tel qu'il est, et de l'aimer.
    There is only 1 kind of heroism in the world:
    that is to see the world as it is, and to love it.
    - Romain Rolland
    edited February 23, 2010
    thanks
    Works now for me too, and I love it. Great app, much appreciated.

Bob
    edited February 27, 2010
    If anyone is interested in getting a Roku or add one to their collection, use this link to buy your Roku and you will help show your support for this application.
  • ruddyducksruddyducks Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 11, 2010
    I asked Roku a question- and was sent your way
    .The question is:
    I am interested in using smugmug as a way to display my pictures on my TV using Roku. I am testing it out to see how I like it before I subscribe.
    I have linked the accounts, and do get the test album I am using to show on the TV. However, it does not have the "Birthday" theme I was using, and does not display the captions.
    THE REAL QUESTION:
    Is this something I am doing wrong in the setup-or is this a limitation of using Roku.

hoffmcs wrote:
    A couple of weeks ago, Roku released a SDK to add channels to their platform. I decided to write a channel to view SmugMug accounts.

• Video - Video only albums show list of videos while mixed albums show a selector screen

Chris

EDIT: 1/29/2010 - The channel is now officially available in the Roku Channel Store! Please post any feedback in this thread.
    edited March 11, 2010
    ruddyducks wrote:
    .The question is:
    I am interested in using smugmug as a way to display my pictures on my TV using Roku. I am testing it out to see how I like it before I subscribe.
    I have linked the accounts, and do get the test album I am using to show on the TV. However, it does not have the "Birthday" theme I was using, and does not display the captions.
    THE REAL QUESTION:
    Is this something I am doing wrong in the setup-or is this a limitation of using Roku.
    There are very limited option on theming the Roku interface so I picked a nice looking simple layout. Captions are available when you pause the slideshow or in the browse photo mode. To get to the browse photo mode, when the slideshow starts, press the down arrow on your Roku remote. This was a design decision by me to not turn on captions by default and block part of the images.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
  • cleworthcleworth Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 19, 2010
    Problem - slide show does not advance
    hoffmcs wrote:

Chris

I am trying out SmugMug and the Roku interface and have encountered a problem. I can access my SmugMug account through Roku and can see my test album but when I try to play the slideshow it will only show the first picture. Have also tried manually advancing (FF, right arrow, etc) to the next photo with the same result. Reconfirmed on SmugMug that the album does have multiple pictures in it (in case I messed up the upload or something). The Roku box is hard wired to my Internet connection, so no WiFi issues (Pandora works fine). Any ideas? Thank you very much. Jim Cleworth
    edited April 19, 2010
    cleworth wrote:
    I am trying out SmugMug and the Roku interface and have encountered a problem. I can access my SmugMug account through Roku and can see my test album but when I try to play the slideshow it will only show the first picture. Have also tried manually advancing (FF, right arrow, etc) to the next photo with the same result. Reconfirmed on SmugMug that the album does have multiple pictures in it (in case I messed up the upload or something). The Roku box is hard wired to my Internet connection, so no WiFi issues (Pandora works fine). Any ideas? Thank you very much. Jim Cleworth
    This is an issue with the Roku firmware that does not like the way SmugMug redirects links. The reason you first picture works and subsequent pictures do not is because the image falls in the "Large" bucket while the rest fall into the "Medium" size bucket. You can tell when you hover over the image and in the slide out see photo sizes. Tonight, I am going to see if I can get a work around going for this issue.

You can see how resolutions relate to image sizes on this help page, http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-quality.

Chris
    edited April 19, 2010
    hoffmcs wrote:
    This is an issue with the Roku firmware that does not like the way SmugMug redirects links. The reason you first picture works and subsequent pictures do not is because the image falls in the "Large" bucket while the rest fall into the "Medium" size bucket. You can tell when you hover over the image and in the slide out see photo sizes. Tonight, I am going to see if I can get a work around going for this issue.

You can see how resolutions relate to image sizes on this help page, http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-quality.

Chris

I tried manually changing the size of the first photo to small or medium on SmugMug but oddly it changes it back to large as soon as I close the dialog box. Also changed the maximum size for the gallary from "original to xlarge which was the smallest possible setting. Also tried moving the first photo to another position and then changing the size but it will not let me. The new first photo kept it's previous size of "small". I am also trying the upload plug-in for Lightroom. Do you think it would help if I reduced the JPEG file size when uploading? Also, thanks for the quick response.
    edited April 19, 2010
    cleworth wrote:
    I tried manually changing the size of the first photo to small or medium on SmugMug but oddly it changes it back to large as soon as I close the dialog box. Also changed the maximum size for the gallary from "original to xlarge which was the smallest possible setting. Also tried moving the first photo to another position and then changing the size but it will not let me. The new first photo kept it's previous size of "small". I am also trying the upload plug-in for Lightroom. Do you think it would help if I reduced the JPEG file size when uploading? Also, thanks for the quick response.
    It is actually the exact opposite problem. The images are not large enough which is making the Roku box choke when it gets redirected to the Medium size. The bigger the better with loading them into SmugMug.
    edited April 19, 2010
    hoffmcs wrote:
    It is actually the exact opposite problem. The images are not large enough which is making the Roku box choke when it gets redirected to the Medium size. The better with loading them into SmugMug.

Understood. I will stand by. Thanks again for the response.