Alien Bees Flash Units...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    This is all very much correctthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Steph.....Why did you decide on an AB400 over an 800........reason I am asking is that it won't take you long to be wishing you had more power......something to always remeber.....you can adjust for less power, but that flash cannot be made to output MORE power..........so if you can swing the 800 I would recommend that.
    The AB's are a fantastic light from what I have heard, I do know first hand what type of customer service you can expect as I have used Paul Buff lights for a very very very long time.............

PLUS, the 800's aren't really that much more money than the 400. You can always bring the power down, but you can't make the light have more power...

I think the 400 was like $220 or something, and the 800 was $280.

Buy a couple honey combs, and you can make the 800 so dim, barely any light comes out of it... Stepping up to the 1600 now will jump you up to $399...
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    P.S.

I got my 3-800's on Thursday. They are amazing! Been working GREAT so far. I've been playing with them all night, moving them around in different positions to see the effects of height, distance, position to subject...
  • Options
    shutterstephshuttersteph Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2010
    Thanks guys. Well, I'm not really a studio photographer. I would prefer all on-location but we do have winter around here so I need to keep myself busy during that time. I also just want something really simple & basic. I am not going to get into fancy lighting. I am really getting studio lights for a particular project that I'm working on and can't see me needing alot of power for that situation. I also like to shoot at wide open aps, yes even in studio. I love the soft creamy look of shooting wide open. Also I have read other places that the 400 is really enough, people who do the same kind of thing as me and have similar styles. And again, I hope to not be using them that often. But I'm sure you guys know what you are talking about and you make valid points I will take into consideration.
    Stephanie Moon
    Canon equipment
    My website
    equine.pet.people
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Thanks guys. Well, I'm not really a studio photographer. I would prefer all on-location but we do have winter around here so I need to keep myself busy during that time. I also just want something really simple & basic. I am not going to get into fancy lighting. I am really getting studio lights for a particular project that I'm working on and can't see me needing alot of power for that situation. I also like to shoot at wide open aps, yes even in studio. I love the soft creamy look of shooting wide open. Also I have read other places that the 400 is really enough, people who do the same kind of thing as me and have similar styles. And again, I hope to not be using them that often. But I'm sure you guys know what you are talking about and you make valid points I will take into consideration.

Remember this: The most available light is.............................Flash.

Really once you get to understanding and using flash it can be your best friend....use it to embellish natural sun light........really.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    shutterstephshuttersteph Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    I got my AB and I was pleasantly surprised how simple it is to use! I was worried about making everything work together and the communication between the camera and light. A total non-issue! As easy as plugging the cord into the camera and into the light! I know I probably sound really dumb now, but that was my biggest concern. Well, that and the $$$$.
    Stephanie Moon
    Canon equipment
    My website
    equine.pet.people
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,899 moderator
    edited March 26, 2010
    I got my AB and I was pleasantly surprised how simple it is to use! I was worried about making everything work together and the communication between the camera and light. A total non-issue! As easy as plugging the cord into the camera and into the light! I know I probably sound really dumb now, but that was my biggest concern. Well, that and the $$$$.

Congratulations. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2010
    Almost nothing is easy until you actually do it. Then, once you've done it you wonder what all the fuss was about.

Congratulations!