Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #49 (WTH is that! [a close-up identification challenge])

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited May 4, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #49

Welcome to Round #49 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member. It will run from Monday, April 19th, 8:00am, PST time (GMT -7) to Monday, May 3rd, 08:00am, PST time (GMT -7).

The topic ready for your interpretation: WTH is that! [a close-up identification challenge]

Close-up or macro photography can be an exciting way to explore what we normally do not look at or cannot see. This time around the idea is to try and capture a section of your subject either by using a macro lens or any other lens that will let you get close enough to isolate something that is not immediately obvious what it is, or part of. Even in extreme close quarters it is still very important to have proper lighting, composition etc...

One way to isolate is to get as close as you can to your subject and then crop a small portion of your image (1024x768). This will isolate your WTH photo even more.

P.S. The H in WTH could be many other letters but in this case it is: "What The Heck".

Your Judges:
Kidzmom (Winner of Round 46)
Guest Judge: quark

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some slight modifications

Comments

• Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Ooooooooohhhhhh, I like clap.gif

Confusing the viewer, something I excel at. mwink.gif
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    C-O-O-L clap.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 19, 2010
    hmmmm...we will see what we shall see!thumb.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    So,... this will be a Macro of a Macro... COOL! clap.gif

I think we'll have lots of fun this time again rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Sean, this may be a dumb question, but, should our subject matter be something that would ordinarily be obvious if seen from a normal perspective? Or can it be a not so common subject? Hope that makes sense:D
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    maybe Title the image with what it actually is?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2010
    ic4u wrote:
    Sean, this may be a dumb question, but, should our subject matter be something that would ordinarily be obvious if seen from a normal perspective? Or can it be a not so common subject? Hope that makes sense:D

I will leave that up to your creative interpretation, you are the creator, photographer and artist.
    How ever you decide to interpret it to mean is the best way for you to go.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2010
    maybe Title the image with what it actually is?

If you would like to, that is fine. Again totally up to you, the artist.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2010
    Question for Sean
    ic4u wrote:

I think I understand what Karin meant and I know you replied, but this makes me ask:

- The challenge is "WTH is that! [a close-up identification challenge]"

Should this be a challenge where the audience have to correctly name the "UFO" object?

- if we identify it by title, than they will not have to guess ""WTH is that!?" anymore... headscratch.gif

or, the challenge is to make the audience believe that what we say in the title is what they see in the picture?... ne_nau.gif

Does it make sense?
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Hmmm... The question is.. Is this a good enough excuse to go buy a Macro lens Hahaha.. mwink.gif
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    DeuceFour wrote:
    Hmmm... The question is.. Is this a good enough excuse to go buy a Macro lens Hahaha.. mwink.gif

I think that this can probably be done with any lens. Though wide angle will probably make it more difficult.

That being said, it's always a good time to buy a macro lens :D
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2010
    photo-bug wrote:
    I think I understand what Karin meant and I know you replied, but this makes me ask:

- The challenge is "WTH is that! [a close-up identification challenge]"

Should this be a challenge where the audience have to correctly name the "UFO" object?

- if we identify it by title, than they will not have to guess ""WTH is that!?" anymore... headscratch.gif

or, the challenge is to make the audience believe that what we say in the title is what they see in the picture?... ne_nau.gif

Does it make sense?

Essentially my answer is the same.
    The goal behind a challenge theme is to give a starting point
    and let the creative juices of the participants take that start, hopefully molding it into something spectacular.

If you want to keep your audience guessing, take a really awesome image that is really hard to figure out.

or

If you want to give it all away in a title, in hopes that your audience will be more attracted to it, then go for it.

If I said you must all shoot a red shoe from the side only using one light positioned exactly 1 foot high and 45 degrees from perpendicular plus your F-stop must be F8 and shutter speed 1/125 of a second.
    We would all know exactly what was expected but the challenge would be pretty boring.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    DeuceFour wrote:
    You beat me to it I have been on the fence for while now. Give me an excuse(like I really needed one to get it) flowers are going crazy here.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    Essentially my answer is the same.
    The goal behind a challenge theme is to give a starting point
    and let the creative juices of the participants take that start, hopefully molding it into something spectacular.

If you want to keep your audience guessing, take a really awesome image that is really hard to figure out.

or

If you want to give it all away in a title, in hopes that your audience will be more attracted to it, then go for it.

If I said you must all shoot a red shoe from the side only using one light positioned exactly 1 foot high and 45 degrees from perpendicular plus your F-stop must be F8 and shutter speed 1/125 of a second.
    We would all know exactly what was expected but the challenge would be pretty boring.

OK, Thank you thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2010
    DeuceFour wrote:

If you really like close up photography do you really need an excuse?

Photographer + gear + imagined need^just released*marketing/human nature = must have more!
    Of course this equation is always balanced by
    food on table + other obligations^significant other / limited finances = Do the best with what you have
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Sean...awesome challenge. Another stretch!

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2010
    DeuceFour wrote:

Normally I don't take enough macro's to need a macro lens - my zoom lens (Canon EF 24-105) does the job for my needs of close-ups (so far...)

However, for this challenge I'm thinking to rent one, if I don't get good enough results with what I have.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    A cheaper way into the world of extreme macro is to get an old 50mm M42 lens off ebay along with a couple of sets of m42 extension tubes and an appropriate m42 to whatever-camera-you have adaptor.

That's what I did a couple of years ago, cost me all of about £30 for everything including postage, and I got both a 50mm f1.8 and a 135mm f2.8 lens.

I am really looking forward to this one, I really missed hanging out here for the last 2 weeks.

Tim
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    this is not going to be a hard challenges I get ask all the time when I show folks my shots deal.gifwhateek7.gif what the h____ is that headscratch.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    jwear wrote:
    this is not going to be a hard challenges I get ask all the time when I show folks my shots deal.gifwhateek7.gif what the h____ is that headscratch.gif

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Very Nice Hahahahaaa
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2010
    BinaryFx wrote:
    Challenge #49 are GO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0L1fPAoXrM

Stephen Marsh

That's the spirit! AWESOME stuff!
    Thanks.
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    And we can post-process the HECK out of this, right?? and make it even MORE what the HECK is it??
    I'm in!
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2010
    rteest42 wrote:
    And we can post-process the HECK out of this, right??
    nod.gif
  • Options
    LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    I've been playing around with some macro shots recently! How convenient...Now I'll have a purpose to what I'm doing :-P
  • Options
    PaintguyPaintguy Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    On a side note you can get a a pack of 4 macro filters on ebay for around $20.
  • Options
    BSGreenBSGreen Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    This should be fun. Just picked up my new macro lens last week.
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Sean, to be sure are you saying we should be so close as to be more abstract? That you can't tell what it is originally or am I over thinking it?

peace, gailne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2010
    Sean, to be sure are you saying we should be so close as to be more abstract? That you can't tell what it is originally or am I over thinking it?

peace, gailne_nau.gif

You should shoot a red shoe rolleyes1.gif
    Seriously though. I am not saying that you should do anything other than get in really close. It's your choice as to how recognizable or how abstract it is. :D

Even if I was more specific in the theme requirements - it still is up to the judges how they will interpret what they feel should be a WTH photo. (No PM'ing judges to ask either mwink.gif )
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    You should shoot a red shoe rolleyes1.gif
    Seriously though. I am not saying that you should do anything other than get in really close. It's your choice as to how recognizable or how abstract it is. :D

Even if I was more specific in the theme requirements - it still is up to the judges how they will interpret what they feel should be a WTH photo. (No PM'ing judges to ask either mwink.gif )

ok, thank you