*ENTRY* Thread DSS #50 (S-Curve or Golden Spiral)

Comments

• sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    If I were judging this round (which I'm not) I would probably favor an image that took advantage of the composition not an obvious spiral.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    If I were judging this round (which I'm not) I would probably favor an image that took advantage of the composition not an obvious spiral.

I know this :D

I don't know even who the judges are (no offense intended bowdown.gif), but better to make sure - I think headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited May 6, 2010
    photo-bug wrote: »
    I know this :D

I don't know even who the judges are (no offense intended bowdown.gif), but better to make sure - I think headscratch.gif

Our judges this round are listed on the first post of this thread.
    What are you being sure of? An obvious interpretation, or one that pushes you to try something you haven't tried before? Still up to you.
    edited May 6, 2010
    Our judges this round are listed on the first post of this thread.
    What are you being sure of? An obvious interpretation, or one that pushes you to try something you haven't tried before? Still up to you.

I know Sean where to find the judges - I just haven't checked.

Anyway, regardless of who is judging, now that the question has been asked and answered,
    the danger of being misjudged, has been minimized.

* When I said "I know this :D", if fact I thought I knew your preference regarding the interpretation of the theme.
    Travelways.com
    edited May 6, 2010
    Maybe this example will make more sense?
    I am getting the feeling that the idea behind using the golden spiral as a basis for composition within your images is a bit hard to grasp. Here are two images that I have entered in past challenges that have a strong spiral flow.

858715591_o2vrq-O.jpg858715603_ozXKv-O.jpg

There are no obvious spirals in the image, yet without the overlay I have provided when you look at the images you have a sense of flow and balance that your subconsciousness will latch onto.

Clear as mud now I'm sure mwink.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 6, 2010
    yup...just what I was thinking it was....:D
    edited May 6, 2010
    a few more...
    Just in case you looked at the last two and said to yourself.... "Yes but those are composites so the composition is easier to control" - Here are some spiral compositions that are composed in camera.

858750528_jmsmn-O.jpg858750638_URLhK-O.jpg858750562_tKQNV-O.jpg

858750620_ofr5i-O.jpg

Oh and don't forget you can shoot S-Curves this round too if you want.:D
    edited May 6, 2010
    You are definitely a great artist, Sean thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
  • BSGreenBSGreen Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    I am getting the feeling that the idea behind using the golden spiral as a basis for composition within your images is a bit hard to grasp. Here are two images that I have entered in past challenges that have a strong spiral flow.

Great examples, thanks Sean. The spirals are perfect in those images... do you have just the spiral you can post so I can overlay it on my images biggrinbounce2.gif
    edited May 6, 2010
    BSGreen wrote: »
    Great examples, thanks Sean. The spirals are perfect in those images... do you have just the spiral you can post so I can overlay it on my images biggrinbounce2.gif

I think the judges will need to have one :smooch
    Travelways.com
  • ckasparckaspar Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Forgive me for being a complete dunce on the golden spiral thing, I know I can shoot an "S" if I want but I want to try to understand this Spiral.

What is the spiral doing? Is the intention to have elements of the photo within the boundaries of the spiral or is the intention to use the shape of the spiral to "lead" the eye to a point of focus you want the viewer to see.

And, yes I understand the spiral is not an actual part of the photograph nor is it the intention to put a spiral "on" the photo.
    edited May 6, 2010
    ckaspar wrote: »
    ... or is the intention to use the shape of the spiral to "lead" the eye to a point of focus you want the viewer to see.
    nod.gif
    edited May 6, 2010
    Got it.

Now for "designing the composition", how does one go about that?

I mean the 1/3 thing is easy enough, especially with todays cameras. I have never seen a "spiral" setting on mine. Laughing.gif.

It appears that the goal is to kind of lead the spiral from one corner, to to the side, side, side then into the spiral interior where you want to viewer to focus their attention. How does someone set that up?

Again sorry for the silly questions, I am just trying to partake in the challenges. I have done the 2 since I signed up here and had real fun. This one has a new guy like me stumped and I don't want to take MY easy way out and do an "S" I want to challenge myself and LEARN something new.

Thanks for the help in advance.
    edited May 6, 2010
    ckaspar wrote: »
    Now for "designing the composition", how does one go about that?
    I just visualize it in my head when shooting. It probably takes some practice but if you are always thinking about balance and flow in your compositions it eventually becomes second nature.

BinaryFX was kind enough to post a black and a white version of the golden spiral that can be used as a guide here

Thanks for the positive vibes Tatiana!

thumb.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Just as a tip, I measured my screen on my camera and printed out a small golden spiral i cut out and can carry with me to compare to the screen. I'd imagine it would work even better on a transparency.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Great idea! I can draw one the size of my LCD. :D
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Man, this one is complicated.. They don't call me a dumb ox for nuthin'.... I just added my dad's slide rule to my camera bag..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited May 7, 2010
    HoofClix wrote: »
    Man, this one is complicated.. They don't call me a dumb ox for nuthin'.... I just added my dad's slide rule to my camera bag..

No worries maybe next challenge will be horseshoes or road apples rolleyes1.gif
  • sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    Even if people find it tricky, it's still a very valuable lesson to learn. And Sean's right, I think, in that it can become second nature to compose Golden Spirally (that's my new phrase for the day) with your mind's eye....what helps is that so many organic elements follow the rule in the first place.
    edited May 7, 2010
    I just visualize it in my head when shooting. It probably takes some practice but if you are always thinking about balance and flow in your compositions it eventually becomes second nature.

BinaryFX was kind enough to post a black and a white version of the golden spiral that can be used as a guide here

Thanks for the positive vibes Tatiana!

thumb.gif

There is an option for the golden spiral (and others) in the "Crop Guide Overlay" in Lightroom2,
    but this tool posted by BinaryFX is a marvel - it works like a charm!!! :D

Thank you so much thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited May 7, 2010
    photo-bug wrote: »
    There is an option for the golden spiral (and others) in the "Crop Guide Overlay" in Lightroom2,
    but this tool posted by BinaryFX is a marvel - it works like a charm!!! :D

Thank you so much thumb.gif

Just another reason I love these challenges. I learned something new!!
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010

Oh and don't forget you can shoot S-Curves this round too if you want.:D

As soon as I looked it up and saw the overlay I got the idea... That I can get... the math involved is foreign to me, Laughing.gif.
    Just having something new to look for is fun... I've done S curves. rolleyes1.gif

But I sure enjoyed seeing your examples!
  • OnionOnion Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    BinaryFx wrote: »
    As a tool to help in the evaluation/cropping of your images in Photoshop, linked are two PDF files in a .zip archive.

Use the File/Place command to bring the black or white golden spiral into Photoshop to use as a template. The file is vector and can be resized as you like. The place command will bring this in as a Smart Object layer in later versions of Photoshop.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1442567/Golden-Spirals/Golden-Spirals.zip

Hope this helps!

Stephen Marsh

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    http://prepression.blogspot.com/

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Very handy!
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    Sean, I need to include links to additional EXIFs and have forgotten how. Thanks
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited May 7, 2010
    KevXman wrote: »
    Sean, I need to include links to additional EXIFs and have forgotten how. Thanks
    — Kevin

This link is located in the (Quick links to all things official) since it seems to be a common request, I myself forget how to do it all the time too mwink.gif

Here is the link again

BTW - nice red shoes rolleyes1.gif
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    BTW - nice red shoes rolleyes1.gif

Thanks! Couldn't help myself. Beside, I wanted to make doubly sure that I was on theme. :D
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • TLVoDraTLVoDra Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Another golden spiral resource
    I came across some software this AM, downloaded it, tried it. Great features, not expensive to purchase. (around $15) You can evaluate it without buying for 30 days (full featured). Mac users are out of luck on this one.
    here is the link
    Tammy~
    "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun..." Mary Poppins
  • PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010

858715591_o2vrq-100x100.jpg858715603_ozXKv-100x100.jpg

There are no obvious spirals in the image, yet without the overlay I have provided when you look at the images you have a sense of flow and balance that your subconsciousness will latch onto.

Clear as mud now I'm sure mwink.gif
    Sean,

You can have more than one spiral in an image. The second image, man with blue coat: the spiral will end up at his face drawing the other sprals in there respective crop boxes. And there are spirals at his hands also.

-David
    edited May 10, 2010
    PupWeb wrote: »
    You can have more than one spiral in an image.
    -David

Many images will have multiple instances of compositional flow and lines. The most balanced photos tend to display this phenomenon the most.
  • PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    The old masters well mastered this :)
    thumb.gif
    Many images will have multiple instances of compositional flow and lines. The most balanced photos tend to display this phenomenon the most.