Options

- Post your Lightning Photos -

aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
edited May 16, 2006 in Wildlife
We had a really impressive thunderstorm in the desert here recently... At one point it averaged 2-3 strikes per second. Luckily the storm was about 50 miles away when I took these pics. Most of these were 1-2 min exposures at an ISO of 400 or 800 to capture multiple quick flashes. Because of that you can see some artifacts of the noise reduction I had to put them through...

Thought I would post some anyway...

30620844-M.jpg

30620847-M.jpg

30620849-M.jpg

30620850-M.jpg

30620851-M.jpg

30620853-M.jpg

Anyone have some lightning pics they'd like to share?

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Just one...i only worked out how to do it at the end of the storm season (oct-march) but this one rolled through in May which is very very odd.

22675579-M.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited August 4, 2005
    I have nothing to offer but nice things to say. That first one is
    pretty cool with the stars and lightning.

Gus, I think your balcony qualifies as "the spot" to shoot from thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Just one...i only worked out how to do it at the end of the storm season (oct-march) but this one rolled through in May which is very very odd.

22675579-M.jpg
    Very impressive Gus!

26527738-L.jpg

26527729-L.jpg

Two from June in the UK

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    I also have no entries but must say that these are very cool indeed.clap.gif
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    I don't have any, but I'll direct you to JamesL's gallery. Some of the most impressive I've seen. He just signed up here recently. C'mon James, hope you become an active member here at dGrin!

Here's his lightning gallery: http://home.comcast.net/~langfords/lightning/index.html
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

22675579-M.jpg
    Would you mind sharing a little about how you did it, I havn't tried yet, but I am guessing shot around the 30 sec mark?

James.
  • Options
    fishlipsfishlips Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    i had posted these a couple of weeks ago when i first joined dgrin, but this seems like an appropriate thread for a repost. these were taken at the beach earlier this summer. unfortunately i didn't get down to the beach until the "show" was coming to an end. i took these with my 18-55 at about 18, to get as much of the sky and lightning as possible. now after cropping i wish i hadn't gone that wide.

phil

30887606-M.jpg

29356913-M.jpg
    phil

my pictures live here. well, eventually they all will.
  • Options
    hichuzhichuz Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Here's a lightning photo that I took a few years ago... after the fact. We were living on the Florida west coast at the time... considered the lightning capitol of the USA. The strike came down a pine tree, blew the corner of the driveway apart, followed the rebar under the drive to the house, then blew the electrical meter off the house. Took out all the TV's and other appliances, computer HD included. I was in the house at the time, could feel the electricity in the air, smell the ozone. The point is... if you're going to shoot lightning pics, be careful and give lightning the respect it deserves. This was shot with my first low-quality digital... a Sony Mavica
    RC :thumb
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Would you mind sharing a little about how you did it, I havn't tried yet, but I am guessing shot around the 30 sec mark?

James.
    No worries james...thanks everyone for your compliments.We have seen up to 189 strikes per minuite over the city. Plenty of time to practise. Locals are very cautious about being out in it.

Keep ISO as low as possible...this is about long exposure not fast shutter speed. The lower the ISO the clearer the shot.

Use an long exposure to catch multiple strikes (30 sec is a good time for me).

Use small apature to keep foreground & the distance in focus & this will help slow the shutter speed.

Use the widest lens youve got to get as much in as possible.

Date Taken:2005-05-18 17:46:00Date Digitized:2005-05-18 17:46:00Make:CanonModel: Canon EOS 20D Size: 4048x2698 Bytes: 7472777 Aperture: f/16.0 ISO: 100 Focal Length: 10mm (guess: 8mm in 35mm) Exposure Time: 30s (30/1)Flash:Flash did not fire, compulsory flash modeExposure Program:Aperture priorityExposure Bias:0ColorSpace:sRGB
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    hichuz wrote:
    Here's a lightning photo that I took a few years ago... after the fact. We were living on the Florida west coast at the time... considered the lightning capitol of the USA. The strike came down a pine tree, blew the corner of the driveway apart, followed the rebar under the drive to the house, then blew the electrical meter off the house. Took out all the TV's and other appliances, computer HD included. I was in the house at the time, could feel the electricity in the air, smell the ozone. The point is... if you're going to shoot lightning pics, be careful and give lightning the respect it deserves. This was shot with my first low-quality digital... a Sony Mavica
    Great hichuz !! Did you dig for your fulgurite ???

Gus
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    Thanks for the info on your shot Gus and also for the informative link, it was a very interesting read.

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited August 4, 2005
    Now is prolly not the time to tell you about a fascinating book called "Shattered Air" :uhoh

It's about a lightning strike on the top of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park. Caught
    a few people on top. Some lucky. Some not so lucky. Circumstance really paid off for
    those who were lucky.

Many of the characters in this true story are from SF Bay Area. Specifically the city I
    live in...

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    Wow! Great posts folks! Gus, I will always remember that picture. Great capture. Phil, great gallery link. Hichuz, glad to hear nobody was hurt...
  • Options
    wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Here's one
    aero-nut wrote:
    Wow! Great posts folks! Gus, I will always remember that picture. Great capture. Phil, great gallery link. Hichuz, glad to hear nobody was hurt...
    23488443_6affbfe23d_o.jpg
  • Options
    hichuzhichuz Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    never heard of it. Thanks for the info. As they say... "you learn something new everyday!"
    Humungus wrote:
    Great hichuz !! Did you dig for your fulgurite ???

Gus
    RC :thumb
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    hichuz wrote:
    never heard of it. Thanks for the info. As they say... "you learn something new everyday!"
    I work around a lot of high voltage wires & when one hits the ground & stays live (which they will do) you can dig one up...& thats just 11KV (actually 6.6KV to ground i think headscratch.gif ) & it turns the soil to glass where it sits buzzing away.

I have a friend that has a fulgurite where lightning hit the beach & its a glass cylinder & you can see small shells in it.
  • Options
    ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Monsoon Lightning Exhibit
    If you are anywhere near central Arizona:

http://uanews.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/UANews.woa/wa/MainStoryDetails?ArticleID=11449

Adrienne (who is hoping to get some nice monsoon lightning shots in the coming weeks!)
  • Options
    DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    Dani wrote:

I had a look at the shot on your site, it says sony Cybershot at 15mm 30 sec.

WOW that is awesome, you must have been with in a couple of hundred yards of the strike?

I take it you were in a Faraday Box.

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Stan wrote:
    I had a look at the shot on your site, it says sony Cybershot at 15mm 30 sec.

WOW that is awesome, you must have been with in a couple of hundred yards of the strike?

I take it you were in a Faraday Box.

Cheers
    Stan
    thanks stan!

nope my dumb ass was standing down at teh street in my pj's across from where it hit with the camera on a tripod...

lol
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    I would have loved to see the shot of you jump when it hit rolleyes1.gif

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Dani wrote:
    heres one of mine
    Wow, that's incredible! gerg.gif
    I miss lightning... not much here in LA. Even less than in Seattle, I think.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Gus, I think your balcony qualifies as "the spot" to shoot from thumb.gif
    Thanks mate but i have rented the unit out & moved to another...see that tiny sign right down the front ? That is a for sale sign...10 storys straight up & wish as i may to get one...its $4 million US for the top floor unit :cry

Gus
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thanks mate but i have rented the unit out & moved to another...see that tiny sign right down the front ? That is a for sale sign...10 storys straight up & wish as i may to get one...its $4 million US for the top floor unit :cry

Gus

Here is another one from the same storm.

23488442_ead29c1503_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    wally5656 wrote:
    Here is another one from the same storm.
    Dont tell me i have a fellow brisvegasite in here ? Where is that shot from wally ...carrara maybe ?

Gus
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Dont tell me i have a fellow brisvegasite in here ? Where is that shot from wally ...carrara maybe ?

Gus
    Sorry Humungus.......my reply went in the wrong place. I am from the same state as Dani in the US. Oklahoma. That was from the airport which happens to practically be in my back yard.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2005
    Here is a fellow 0zzies lightning shots...Nick Djordjevic

Have a butchers at his work. Some good gear in there.

Gus
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2005
    Dani wrote:
    thanks stan!

nope my dumb ass was standing down at teh street in my pj's across from where it hit with the camera on a tripod...

lol

So while "Roadkill" still remains appropriate, perhaps "Sparky" might also apply.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Here is a fellow 0zzies lightning shots...Nick Djordjevic

Have a butchers at his work. Some good gear in there.

Gus

He does have some great stuff!
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2005
    Dani wrote:
    Whoah! How in the world did you know where to point the camera? That's a close one. Thanks for posting.