Options

Ipad for meetings?

ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited August 28, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Just curious if anyone uses the ipad for meeting with potential/current clients? and if it had an impact on the meeting. I'm seriously considering getting one cause it almost makes more sense than lugging my laptop with me. Plus Its just really cool product!:D

Comments

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    sser wrote: »
    Just curious if anyone uses the ipad for meeting with potential/current clients? and if it had an impact on the meeting. I'm seriously considering getting one cause it almost makes more sense than lugging my laptop with me. Plus Its just really cool product!:D

I do. I have the SmugMug app installed and can use it to show my photos to prospective clients. And, I can capture their contact info. right away. i even have draft contracts on it that I can edit in Pages and then email to them for signature and return. On shoots I have a Release app that they can actually sign right on the screen.

Translation, I love my iPad! I just got the WiFi version because I a) couldn't afford the 3G and b) didn't want to have to pay for a data plan. The downside of WiFi of course is that it only accesses the on-line galleries when I have access to a network :( BUT, in that case I also have a small collection of my favourite photos saved on the iPad for viewing.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    I got my iPad to be able to show potential clients my work. (Previously, I'd use my iPhone as a quick way to show my images, but as soon as the iPad came out, I knew this was a much better way.) I have the 3G version, so I can connect anywhere, anytime.

I'm using the iPad for so much more than I initially thought I would:

- Connect to SmugMug to show my galleries

- Connect to my website so I can show them what it looks like, especially the button that will take them to their private gallery

- I create Animoto slideshows for my clients, so I can show them what that will look like (I show high-res versions).

- I found a great app for photographers that puts together contracts like model releases and session contracts (it pops in their info and fills in mine automatically). During a client meeting or after a session, I can create a contract on the spot and have it signed while on location. (Takes less than 30 seconds.) I can then e-mail it to them as a PDF file while we're still talkiing. (Did you know that the iPad has the ability to sign things with your finger? (I was wow'd!) And the clients are pretty impressed, too. As a note, the sample contracts (templates) in the app can be easily customized to your needs or you can create your own.

- I'm using the same app to create custom receipts which I can sign and e-mail right from the session. Takes me 30 seconds to do.

- I also have my schedule on my iPad wirelessly synced with my desktop, laptop, and my iPhone (using MobileMe) so my contacts and schedule are always in sync on any of my devices. I no longer need to worry about hooking each device up to get them to sync. (I'm finding I don't really need my laptop anymore.)

- Instead of carrying around a notebook, I put a notepad on my iPad and use it to take notes during client meetings. I just got the iPad keyboard, that's an additional timesaver since I've never been good at using those in-device keyboards.

In a nutshelll, I bought the iPad thinking it'd be a great way to show my images rather than having everyone crowd around my iPhone. I found that I'm using the iPad in so many more ways to support my business than I thought I would. I've shown these features to many of my business associates in various professions (realtors, for example) and they've immediately gone out to get one. I should get a commission....

My only wish is that the 400 page book "Photography" by London would be available as an e-book so I could download it and put it on my iPad. Then I'd really be a happy camper!
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• Options
    edited July 31, 2010
    What the app for contracts? I have Easy Release but would love to have the ability to create and sign contracts. Clients are amazed when they can sign model releases right on the screen with their fingers!
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    The app is called "Photographers Contract Maker". Search apps under "Contracts" and it'll come up. It costs 2.99.
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• Options
    edited August 1, 2010
    kd2 wrote: »
    The app is called "Photographers Contract Maker". Search apps under "Contracts" and it'll come up. It costs 2.99.

Thanks very much. Will do.
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010

Just had a quick look. Do you use it? What's the advantage vs. SmugMug where we already have galleries, etc.?
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Just had a quick look. Do you use it? What's the advantage vs. SmugMug where we already have galleries, etc.?

I don't because it is $45. I had the same idea for an app and am working to get it developed at a much more reasonable price tag. The benefit is that you can denote right on the screen what pics you want prints of. If I am going to have a one on one with people, then I may as well handle the print order myself and maximize my return. I like Smug, but the markup they take on the print prices doesn't make sense to me if I am in person with the people who want to write a check.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010

I think the iPad can be a great proofing tool, especially for photographers that don't have their own studios, but if you really want to sell your images, you need to do in home proofing.

You need:

1. ProSelect - Proofing Software
    2. a projector
    3. a blank wall in your clients home. Especially the wall over the living room sofa. :D

Now, let me preface this by saying that I no longer do this. I no longer actively run a portrait photography business.

An iPad is nice (I don't have one), but does it show the image at ACTUAL size? Projection allows for this. If you have a projector, then you can show a 16 x 24 image at actual 16 x 24 on the client's wall.

An iPad is only (approximately) 9 x 7 inches.

Okay, yes, an iPad is more portable than a projector and a laptop, but if you want to sell prints, then you need to do projection.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    I think the iPad can be a great proofing tool, especially for photographers that don't have their own studios, but if you really want to sell your images, you need to do in home proofing.

You need:

1. ProSelect - Proofing Software
    2. a projector
    3. a blank wall in your clients home. Especially the wall over the living room sofa. :D

Now, let me preface this by saying that I no longer do this. I no longer actively run a portrait photography business.

An iPad is nice (I don't have one), but does it show the image at ACTUAL size? Projection allows for this. If you have a projector, then you can show a 16 x 24 image at actual 16 x 24 on the client's wall.

An iPad is only (approximately) 9 x 7 inches.

Okay, yes, an iPad is more portable than a projector and a laptop, but if you want to sell prints, then you need to do projection.

Excellent point. You could also project off the iPad.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    Excellent point. You could also project off the iPad.

Good to know. :)

Can you please outline how you would do projection with an iPad?

IMHO, an iPad is a must have for anyone running a photography business. I think the cost of an iPad will be paid for through photography sales. I'm not in the position to run out and get an iPad right now and as I have mentioned, I'm not actively running a photography business and can't justify the $$$

Just because an iPad isn't for me (right now) doesn't mean it isn't for you (or someone else reading this thread). If I find $600 under my seat cushions, then I'll get an iPad. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    Good to know. :)

Can you please outline how you would do projection with an iPad?

IMHO, an iPad is a must have for anyone running a photography business. I think the cost of an iPad will be paid for through photography sales. I'm not in the position to run out and get an iPad right now and as I have mentioned, I'm not actively running a photography business and can't justify the $$$

Just because an iPad isn't for me (right now) doesn't mean it isn't for you (or someone else reading this thread). If I find $600 under my seat cushions, then I'll get an iPad. :D

Still need a projector of course, and then you buy one of the video connection kits, depending on the connections the projector takes.

My iPad was paid for by the day job. I honestly would not have bought this. Having used it now though, I would absolutely buy another if I changed jobs.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    Still need a projector of course, and then you buy one of the video connection kits, depending on the connections the projector takes.

My iPad was paid for by the day job. I honestly would not have bought this. Having used it now though, I would absolutely buy another if I changed jobs.

So, they just need "ProSelect" for iPad. :)

The following was posted to ProSelect's user forum:
    Hi ProSelect & iPad enthusiasts!

Thanks for you interest and to let you know that we are currently investigating the possibility of developing an iPad application that runs in conjunction with ProSelect. We have had interest from a number of ProSelect users through our Support Centre also.

Keep it coming as the more demand the quicker it may happen!

Cheers
    Jenni
    ProSelect & WebGallery Support
    TimeExposure.com
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    So, they just need "ProSelect" for iPad. :)

Perhaps, but that is a fairly steep price for the non-full-time shooter. This iPad app may not have all the bells and whistles of ProSelect, but it does enough for the market I just described and is not prohibitively priced.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    Valid point about the cost. I'm not a ProSelect Sales Rep, but I just want to point out that if you are going to do projection, then you want to be able to project images at actual size. This way, you start out at the LARGEST size that will fit in the client's living room and then gradually move the size smaller. Then when they see how small an 8 x 10 really is, then they'll want the larger size. :D

.... and make sure you're selling to the lady of the house! ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    Valid point about the cost. I'm not a ProSelect Sales Rep, but I just want to point out that if you are going to do projection, then you want to be able to project images at actual size. This way, you start out at the LARGEST size that will fit in the client's living room and then gradually move the size smaller. Then when they see how small an 8 x 10 really is, then they'll want the larger size. :D

.... and make sure you're selling to the lady of the house! ;)

Love the ideas, have heard similar things, need to try.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    I can say that I use my work iPad for lots of things. It is a great way to have everything at my finger tips. I bring product shots and cut sheets with me to meeting easily without having a huge pile of paper in the briefcase. Also I can take notes and action items right then and there and get them into my computer so I can ignore them electronically. If I had to do it over I would have gotten the 3G one so as to be online easier. Also the camera adapter kit at US$30 is worth it for those shoots where you don't want to do tethered (with laptop) but you want to see your photos on a bigger screen.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    Love the ideas, have heard similar things, need to try.

Wouldn't selling a 30 x 40 pay for ProSelect? :D
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    Wouldn't selling a 30 x 40 pay for ProSelect? :D

Yeah, how many of those have I sold lately? mwink.gif
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    The downside of WiFi of course is that it only accesses the on-line galleries when I have access to a network :( BUT, in that case I also have a small collection of my favourite photos saved on the iPad for viewing.

Does the iPhone app SmugWallet have an iPad version? Because the great thing about SmugWallet on the iPhone is that it mirrors your entire Smugmug account (except for galleries you exclude) to your iPhone, so even if you are not connected to the Internet all the images are on board. If I had an iPad I would want that app.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    colourbox wrote: »
    Does the iPhone app SmugWallet have an iPad version? Because the great thing about SmugWallet on the iPhone is that it mirrors your entire Smugmug account (except for galleries you exclude) to your iPhone, so even if you are not connected to the Internet all the images are on board. If I had an iPad I would want that app.

The Smugmug iPad app allows for this.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    An iPad is in my future, for sure (since my full-time job is a magazine editor, an iPad will soon become a necessity as it is already a game-changer in the magazine biz).

Anyhow, I'm thinking of getting a WiFi iPad, simply because my smart phone (a Palm Pre Plus) can serve as a WiFi hotspot. As long as the phone and iPad are near each other (and I have a cell signal) I can access the internet with the iPad.

While it would be tempting to drop my phone's data plan and use the bucks towards a data plan for an iPad, there are still times when internet access via the phone is still more convenient. So, the phone will keep the data plan and the iPad will feed off the phone.

The only question is when do I place the order...
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2010
    Anyhow, I'm thinking of getting a WiFi iPad, simply because my smart phone (a Palm Pre Plus) can serve as a WiFi hotspot. As long as the phone and iPad are near each other (and I have a cell signal) I can access the internet with the iPad.

I do that with my WinMo phone...
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter