Options

Dgrin mini-meetup: Summer in the Cascades

2»

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    Thanks, Joel! Looks like you've been busy getting out too and getting some great shots of your own down by you. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ksproulksproul Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Hey guys. I've been active at a few other photo forums in the past (mainly POTN recently), and I recently stumbled upon this site. I figured it's time I finally post here.

I've been looking through all these photos in the recent Rainier meetup threads, and I'm impressed! Great work, everyone! I'd love to get out and shoot with those of you who are local sometime. I live in Olympia myself. I was actually out at Mount Rainier two weekends ago. I was at Upper Tipsoo Lake for two sunrises in a row (neither one spectacular), and I think I might have seen Ron and Danny there the first morning (7/31), but they took off before I had a chance to introduce myself. I had gone out to Rainier that weekend to check out the wildflower situation, but it was clearly too early. I'm planning on heading back out there two weekends from now (Aug 20-22) to see how things are looking. I'm probably going to do a full weekend with stops at Tipsoo Lake, some stuff around Paradise (hoping the wildflowers will be peaking), and wherever else I end up. Is anyone else planning on being around Mount Rainier that weekend? Depending on how things go, there's a good chance I could end up out there the next weekend too, but I'm not sure at this point. Anyway, if anyone is going to be out there and is interested, I'd love to try to get together to do some shooting at some point. And aside from Mount Rainier, I'm always up for any shooting in the area....Seattle, Olympic Peninsula, North Cascades, wherever.

Kris
    Kris
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    ksproul wrote: »
    Hey guys. I've been active at a few other photo forums in the past (mainly POTN recently), and I recently stumbled upon this site. I figured it's time I finally post here.

I've been looking through all these photos in the recent Rainier meetup threads, and I'm impressed! Great work, everyone! I'd love to get out and shoot with those of you who are local sometime. I live in Olympia myself. I was actually out at Mount Rainier two weekends ago. I was at Upper Tipsoo Lake for two sunrises in a row (neither one spectacular), and I think I might have seen Ron and Danny there the first morning (7/31), but they took off before I had a chance to introduce myself. I had gone out to Rainier that weekend to check out the wildflower situation, but it was clearly too early. I'm planning on heading back out there two weekends from now (Aug 20-22) to see how things are looking. I'm probably going to do a full weekend with stops at Tipsoo Lake, some stuff around Paradise (hoping the wildflowers will be peaking), and wherever else I end up. Is anyone else planning on being around Mount Rainier that weekend? Depending on how things go, there's a good chance I could end up out there the next weekend too, but I'm not sure at this point. Anyway, if anyone is going to be out there and is interested, I'd love to try to get together to do some shooting at some point. And aside from Mount Rainier, I'm always up for any shooting in the area....Seattle, Olympic Peninsula, North Cascades, wherever.

Kris

Hey Kris and welcome! Glad that you joined us just in time to see tons of shots of Mt Rainier and the surrounding area. :D From what I saw, it's still just a little bit too early for wildflowers, but the locals said maybe another week or two. If you're close, definitely drop by. I wish I could get back up there to do that myself.

This meetup was pretty much a bunch of friends on Facebook planning to lose sleep over photography, but it's highly encouraged. lol3.gif There's also a Locations forum here if you haven't already swung by, so maybe you can see if anyone is available to meet you one weekend?

Of course please post whatever you've got. The PNW is such an awesome area -- you're so fortunate to live there. I don't think I could ever get tired of it... and I haven't even seen the beaches yet! :D

I hear Olympia is a pretty cool place, too, and I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to swing by there on the way back.
  • Options
    dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    I'm a little late getting around to commenting on these. Very nice set! I think my favorites are the Rizal Bridge shot as well as the trees on Pinnacle Trail.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2010
    Hey Danny, glad to have caught up with you! I don't know how you and Ron do it with shooting all night, then heading off to work. You guys make a great team. :D

We'll have to set up something for the Mono Lake area in the future, perhaps?
  • Options
    ksproulksproul Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Hey Kris and welcome! Glad that you joined us just in time to see tons of shots of Mt Rainier and the surrounding area. :D From what I saw, it's still just a little bit too early for wildflowers, but the locals said maybe another week or two. If you're close, definitely drop by. I wish I could get back up there to do that myself.

This meetup was pretty much a bunch of friends on Facebook planning to lose sleep over photography, but it's highly encouraged. lol3.gif There's also a Locations forum here if you haven't already swung by, so maybe you can see if anyone is available to meet you one weekend?

Of course please post whatever you've got. The PNW is such an awesome area -- you're so fortunate to live there. I don't think I could ever get tired of it... and I haven't even seen the beaches yet! :D

I hear Olympia is a pretty cool place, too, and I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to swing by there on the way back.

Thanks for your reply! It looks like my wife and I are headed out there this weekend (Thurs-Sat) for a weekend of photography and hiking. If everything works out, I'll get some shots up on here next week.

You should definitely check out Olympia if you're ever in the area again. I've been here for about two years now (from Orlando, Florida), and I love it. You're right, we have amazing surroundings here, and the photo ops are endless. I feel like I'm just starting to explore it!

Sorry for hijacking this thread with my posts. Just wanted to say hi and thank you all for the Rainier photos.
    Kris