Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2010
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2010
  • Options
    Just0a0guyJust0a0guy Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    yep its up there. seems like an odd mix of consumer rebel line and the more pro xxd lines. not sure on the number of focus points.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Yes. The 60D is real. There is a review already on www.dpreview.com. It looks very interesting if you cannot afford 7D or want a smaller camera with a big punch. It is like a Rebel Plus - the 550 having an impressive spec but 60D going a few steps further. The body is redesigned. The build quality seems to have been downgraded somewhat but the AF seems to have been upgraded to 7D levels. I like the ability to set the camera to 16:9 aspect ratio as I use that more and more. It also does HD video. And it offers in-camera RAW processing which I do not fancy. Still, this should breathe new life into the xxD range for a while.
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Oh, jeez... just briefly skimming the article I'm already seeing stuff that turns me off.

Smaller
    Plastic, no metal
    No joystick
    Only one custom mode
    SD instead of CF
    Fewer control buttons
    Slightly slower burst shooting

There are also a lot of improvements, like a higher-res, articulated LCD, the addition of HD movie capability, and adjustable auto-iso limit. Many folks would also consider the smaller size and lighter weight (from plastic instead of metal body) to be an improvement, but I have big hands and need a bigger camera body to be comfortable, and I'm willing to trade weight for strength to have the magnesium body of my 50D instead of a plastic body.

Looks like a nice camera, but I won't be rushing to buy one.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited August 26, 2010
    I merged these 2 threads. Carry on.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited August 26, 2010
    Still, this should breathe new life into the xxD range for a while.

Seems more like a repositioning of the line. Whereas previous changes (10D-->20D-->...50D) have only added features, the 60D adds some but loses some as well. I upgraded from a 20D to a 50D last year before the 7D was released. I don't think I would replace the 50D with the 60D even for free, so unless the 70D is radically different I think my next purchase will be in the 7D or 5D line.

Your mileage may vary, of course. If you're shooting with a Rebel, the 60D might be just what you want. deal.gif
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Seems more like a repositioning of the line. Whereas previous changes (10D-->20D-->...50D) have only added features, the 60D adds some but loses some as well. I upgraded from a 20D to a 50D last year before the 7D was released. I don't think I would replace the 50D with the 60D even for free, so unless the 70D is radically different I think my next purchase will be in the 7D or 5D line.

Your mileage may vary, of course. If you're shooting with a Rebel, the 60D might be just what you want. deal.gif

Yes this how I see it as well, the 7D replaced the 50D and the 60D should replace the Rebels, but probably won't. It's all about saturating tha market.

Malte
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Richard wrote: »

The repositioning was inevitable after the 7D introduction and then the super spec for the 550 (Rebel). Price wise, something should sit in the middle and that is now the 60D.

I'll be staying with my 40D until I can afford the next generation 5D - if ever.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Agree completely. As I said on another thread, this is disappointing. For once I am glad I have a 40D. I certainly like the 7D, but I worry that Canon is losing their way with higher end amateurs and even pros. Nikons offerings are looking much more interesting to me now. Sad.
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Oh, jeez... just briefly skimming the article I'm already seeing stuff that turns me off.

Smaller
    Plastic, no metal
    No joystick
    Only one custom mode
    SD instead of CF
    Fewer control buttons
    Slightly slower burst shooting

There are also a lot of improvements, like a higher-res, articulated LCD, the addition of HD movie capability, and adjustable auto-iso limit. Many folks would also consider the smaller size and lighter weight (from plastic instead of metal body) to be an improvement, but I have big hands and need a bigger camera body to be comfortable, and I'm willing to trade weight for strength to have the magnesium body of my 50D instead of a plastic body.

Looks like a nice camera, but I won't be rushing to buy one.
  • Options
    HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    D90 competitor?
    $800 for the T2i and $1600 for the 7D should place the price right at $1200 (D90 territory).

Correct me if I'm wrong but the redefining (smaller plastic body and all) seems to be a pre-emptive strike at the D90 replacement!
  • Options
    mountainhousemountainhouse Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Dpreview "hands on" shows a price of US$1099.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    This announcement makes me very glad I didn't continue to wait, but jumped on a deal for a 7d back in May - the 60d has some decent features and technology, but it wouldn't have been the right camera for me. It does seem to be more an extension of the T series cameras ie emphasising video. Presumably this means that at some point sooner rather than later they're going to either update the 5mkII or introduce a 3 to balance up the line? It will be interesting to see what comes next for those who are more interested in stills than video ability.
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    DP Review seems to agree with the sentiment here (and mine):
    With the 60D Canon has unashamedly moved the X0D range out of the 'semi pro' bracket and instead focused on the enthusiast photographer looking to upgrade from their Rebel. As a result, it's not the obvious continuation of the 30D - 40D - 50D pattern that its naming might suggest. Rather than being a direct upgrade replacement for the 50D, it's perhaps better understood as a 'Super Rebel.'
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    I think the migration away from CF cards and instead to cards used by the Rebel series says it all.
  • Options
    pcunitepcunite Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 26, 2010
    I am a little disappointed Canon diluted the XXD line, makes it hard for me to explain to newcomers a body that would fit their needs as they will invariably ask about the above and below models.
  • Options
    roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    pcunite wrote: »
    I am a little disappointed Canon diluted the XXD line, makes it hard for me to explain to newcomers a body that would fit their needs as they will invariably ask about the above and below models.
    This entire discussion, the above putting it in a nutshell, sounds very familiar -- many similar comments were made when Canon diluted their xD line with an APS-C camera, the 7D. Like the 60D, it had many of the features of the other xDs, but was a big step backwards (compared to the rest of its siblings) with its APS-C sensor.

Hindsight being 20-20, we probably should have seen this coming.

Remember, as a company Canon tries to figure out the very least they need to do in order to make the most money. Our desires are not at the heart of their decision-making process.

Roak

(Canon 7D owner)
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    esc2476 wrote: »
    I think the migration away from CF cards and instead to cards used by the Rebel series says it all.

I have to say that I wish they ALL used SD cards (or at least had dual slots). THey're cheaper, far more readily available if you suddenly need one and don't have time to order online and, even though their smaller, I actually found them less fiddly than paying attention to pins. So... even though I now have a decent supply of both, I'd be quite happy if cameras moved to SD as the norm. They work, they're cheap, and they're available.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    I have no problem with them either (except for the nice collection of CF cards I have accumulated). My comment was more towards how Canon was positioning the 60D as a Rebel graduation camera instead of a XXD graduation camera.
  • Options
    HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Rebel T3i 600D?
    esc2476 wrote: »
    I have no problem with them either (except for the nice collection of CF cards I have accumulated). My comment was more towards how Canon was positioning the 60D as a Rebel graduation camera instead of a XXD graduation camera.

So far I'm liking what I see but they lost a zero somewhere!?

Yeah, the 7D is the real 60D and the new 60D is an upgrade to the T2i 550D.

...this could be the camera for me.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    This announcement makes me very glad I didn't continue to wait, but jumped on a deal for a 7d back in May - the 60d has some decent features and technology, but it wouldn't have been the right camera for me. It does seem to be more an extension of the T series cameras ie emphasising video. Presumably this means that at some point sooner rather than later they're going to either update the 5mkII or introduce a 3 to balance up the line? It will be interesting to see what comes next for those who are more interested in stills than video ability.

I'm with Diva! 15524779-Ti.gif

I did wait for today's announcement but promptly went and bought the 7D.

Battery charging as I type... Longest 2,5 hours in a long time... :D

Malte
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Howzit wrote: »
    So far I'm liking what I see but they lost a zero somewhere!?

Yeah, the 7D is the real 60D and the new 60D is an upgrade to the T2i 550D.

...this could be the camera for me.

Yeah, the more this discussion goes, the more I think you're right - Canon really IS continuing their current lines, they're just changing the number designation.

The Rebel line is the triple-digit line, aimed at beginners and hobbyists. But instead of continuing the line as is, they're continuing this line in the 60D. At a higher cost than the trips, of course - taking a number off adds at least 75% to the production cost.

The double-digit line (20D-50D) is the mid-range line, aimed at hard-core enthusiasts and pros with smaller budgets. But this line is being continued in the 7D.

The single-digit line (5D series and 1D series) are the upper-end pro series cameras, aimed at those who shoot for a living and have big wallets. Dunno where this one is going; maybe they'll start a 4-digit series, or a letter series.

I also wonder if they'll continue the trips. Perhaps this is a re-alignment designed to split the low-end market; the triple-digit Rebels might continue to be aimed at the beginner crowd with small budgets - say, under $500 - while the double-digit series, starting with the 60D, will be aimed at the beginners with bigger wallets. The 7D and later single-digit models will continue to be aimed at the hard-core enthusiast crowd, and somewhere along the line they'll re-number what is now the single-digit series, which is aimed at pros with big budgets. In essence, they'll have 4 distinct series of DSLR bodies instead of 3, as they do now.

Perhaps they should just go back to the older system of having lettered series cameras, like the old A and F series. Call them B (for Beginner), M (for More Money Than Brains), E (for Obsessive Enthusiast), P (for Professional) and O (for Oh My God, That's Expensive!) Then they can just put whatever numbers they want after the letter and nobody would be confused.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    roakey wrote: »
    This entire discussion, the above putting it in a nutshell, sounds very familiar -- many similar comments were made when Canon diluted their xD line with an APS-C camera, the 7D. Like the 60D, it had many of the features of the other xDs, but was a big step backwards (compared to the rest of its siblings) with its APS-C sensor.

Hindsight being 20-20, we probably should have seen this coming.

Remember, as a company Canon tries to figure out the very least they need to do in order to make the most money. Our desires are not at the heart of their decision-making process.

Roak

(Canon 7D owner)

The 7D was a new addition to th XD line and the 60D is supposed to replace the 50D, so there is that difference.

Malte
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    I think it would be helpful for Canon to tell customers what they intend with this direction and numbering scheme, so we can understand it all. Would reduce confusion, and cut down on these kinds of threads.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    cmason wrote: »
    I think it would be helpful for Canon to tell customers what they intend with this direction and numbering scheme, so we can understand it all. Would reduce confusion, and cut down on these kinds of threads.

Yes, the 60D is not getting the warmest welcome...

Malte
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited August 26, 2010
    I had the 20D, then the 40D, and was curious about the 60, but it really is a turnoff in quality and features. The next body I'll go with will probably be the 5D3 of whatever they call it. That said, those lenses look canolicious.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    glad I bought the 50d, and didnt hold off for the toy version of it
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited August 26, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    ... maybe they'll start a 4-digit series, or a letter series.

The Canon dRebel XS is also known as the Canon 1000D. It was introduced 2 years ago.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    No high speed sync!?!
    No multie flash support!
    No af micro adjust!

What was canon thinking? "uuuu, we will design this next camera, so its not capable of using fill flash, especially with a large lens, we will make it so it wont work with pc socket flashes, and we will take away micro adjust so you cant get good focus"

They are selling it with a 135mm lens, but take away high speed sync, that is just plain dumb if you ask me.

Edit - maybe they mean no high speed sync for the built in flash? headscratch.gif, that would make much more sense?
    Todd - My Photos