Options

Could get ugly!

2»

Comments

• Options
    wolfierwolfier Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    I don't know, I believe it's the bride's fault - because if she actually read that the bridal session has to be done a month in advance and disagrees, she should not have signed the contract in the first place. (Provided that it's not written in fine prints!)

But the ultimate fault - lies within the original contract. Why is there even a need to sign another contract just to cancel the first? There should be clauses in the first contract that list in what situations would the contract be automatically cancelled and their consequences.

I truly suspect that the bride found a better deal and made other arrangements, yes it's an "evil customer conspiracy", but they do happen.

To those who suggest a full refund regardless of what the contract says - is it an exception? What if the same thing is happening to you a few times? By what criteria do you decide whether to refund fully or to stick with the contract? What's the purpose of having a contract at all?
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2010
    Coming from a customer service background, here's my take: the customer is always right. Unless they're trying to get you to jump through hoops that have been lit with fire, they're right. The contract may have stated that the shoot needs to be done before August 18th, but she also paid up front, which is definitely something that should be respected. The photographer should have commented only briefly about the contract and then have tried to work with the bride to find a way around it. Remember the bride's position: she's likely in the most stress she's ever been in in her life, and having to juggle more appointments than she's likely used to having to juggle. If I were the photographer I would have done everything I possibly could to fix this with the bride, such as having the shoot two days before, or having the bridal shoot a few hours before the wedding, if it were late enough in the afternoon to do so. Or I would have offered a free family shoot or something similar as a consolation for not being available during that day. I live in a VERY rural area, and here word of mouth is far more important than anything else!
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    AllenCW wrote: »
    Hello Christopher,

The guy (photographer) has about 12 years experience.

He did not agree to leave any date open. Let me clarify. The contract said she was supposed scheduled her **(bridal session) before August 18, 2010.

**bridal session is photographs of the bridal only. The session last for about an hour.

Not sure if any of this changes your conclusion?

I am surprised he has this much experience and still allows such a problem to escalate. I never met a bride who was not stressed-out in the run-up to her wedding.

This is a not a new problem - it is as old as the hills. Two people settle into a battle of wills. She says the bridal shoot MUST take place on a certain day, he says it is IMPOSSIBLE. Neither statement can be true - especially as we talk about a 1 hr session only. So instead of trying to find a solution, both sides are digging in for a spell of trench warfare. "Cutting off both noses to spite both faces".

An obvious solution is that you offer to shoot his wedding and he shoots one of yours. She is unlikely to find a replacement photographer for a september saturday at this late notice otherwise. Honor satisfied. You have a big team on call, apparently, given your ability to handle 3 weddings simultaneously, so why not organise a reserve shooter for the bridal session for your rational friend? There are lots of solutions.

As for your other point about the business world becoming less service oriented, I actually think the opposite. Service is the differentiator.