Options

Peek over the shoulder of Jasmine *

2»

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Good morning all... Just got up...
    It appears they are doing a re-play of it.

The lenses (that I can remember) she mentioned:
    100mm macro
    24 1.2
    50 1.2
    85 1.2
    70-200 2.8 IS- for the ceremony
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Good morning all... Just got up...
    It appears they are doing a re-play of it.

The lenses (that I can remember) she mentioned:
    100mm macro
    24 1.2
    50 1.2
    85 1.2
    70-200 2.8 IS- for the ceremony

Yup...thats looks like a complete list.

- My observations on things she does that I have never really considered -
    - No caps on the lenses.
    - No strap on the camera
    - Using higher ISOs for shots even though she is using fairly high shutter speeds???

Also, I have typically carried two cameras. The idea of a small bag with a few lenses and a single camera is a good idea.

On lenses, it appears that she primarily uses a 50mm. In other words, when she changes glass, she bases the decision on what to use by how it compares to a 50mm. In this, I assume she "normally" shoots with a 50mm.

She bashed "the list" ....you know, the dreaded one.thumb.gif

It will be interesting to see what her finished shots look like. She has a lot of window light at the location. Leveraged correctly the light should be exquisite.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »

She bashed "the list" ....you know, the dreaded one.thumb.gif
    BUT, she did have a schedule for the day, that she stuck to very carefully... Had a plan of shots she wanted and how long they would take.
    IMHO, this is the difference between getting them and not.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    BUT, she did have a schedule for the day, that she stuck to very carefully... Had a plan of shots she wanted and how long they would take.
    IMHO, this is the difference between getting them and not.

True....

...but you know what list I am talkin about....:D
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2010
    Today and yesterday, including Jasmine's "performance" and the response / questions that followed, prove to me that a lot of the stuff we think matters, doesn't matter at all.

I'm really kinda surprised by two things- I'm surprised by how much Jasmine mentioned her camera settings etc, AND I'm surprised by how much response is focused on various technical respects.

As a full-time wedding shooter, I was interested in the exact opposite. For me, BY FAR the most important thing in this entire event has been to hear and see her interact and connect with the clients and subjects.

I don't know how many other full-time shooters there are here on this forum, or how many hobbyist or aspiring pro wedding photographers there are, but if you have pursued success for any amount of time, you'll agree that the little things don't matter nearly as much as the big things.

And that's one thing that Jasmine is all about. People rag on her because she talks about connecting with her clients more than she talks about being technically proficient, but clearly she DOES know what she's doing technically, ...it's just that she also knows that "getting the shot" is more important than having laboratory-perfect camera settings, AND even more important is the client interaction and comfort level.

Just my opinionated opinion,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    Matt,

I agree with you on your post. I noticed many of the things you mentioned, but didn't comment on the positive things I saw but had questions on the technical.

I have been following some posts about Jasmine's live web wedding coverage on another forum and was really surprised at the apparent negativity towards her.

She is definitely a unique individual with superb marketing skills, and not a bad photographer.

I enjoyed watching.

Sam
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Matt,

I agree with you on your post. I noticed many of the things you mentioned, but didn't comment on the positive things I saw but had questions on the technical.

I have been following some posts about Jasmine's live web wedding coverage on another forum and was really surprised at the apparent negativity towards her.

She is definitely a unique individual with superb marketing skills, and not a bad photographer.

I enjoyed watching.

Sam

I would be curious what other forum.

I think she did a fantastic job of remaining cool and under control during much of the broadcast I watched. I came in and out several times during the wedding and would have been exhausted to do all she did.

Her connection to everyone was fantastic.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Zanotti wrote: »
    I would be curious what other forum.

I think she did a fantastic job of remaining cool and under control during much of the broadcast I watched. I came in and out several times during the wedding and would have been exhausted to do all she did.

Her connection to everyone was fantastic.

Z
    Don't bother about the "other forum", trust me on this one. Your time can be better spent. ;-)

I truly admire Jasmine for the business she has created. Her work is good enough to make her [edit: clients] happy, and she never claimed to be the next Yervant so I don't get why people rag on her so much. She figured out the key to great success in this struggling digital age and recessive economy, which is more than most can say...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2010
    Don't bother about the "other forum", trust me on this one. Your time can be better spent. ;-)

I truly admire Jasmine for the business she has created. Her work is good enough to make her happy, and she never claimed to be the next Yervant so I don't get why people rag on her so much. She figured out the key to great success in this struggling digital age and recessive economy, which is more than most can say...

=Matt=

Totally agree with you.

I enjoyed watching the bits that I did get a chance to watch and really liked her confidence, passion and enjoyment of what she does as well. I also love the emphasis she puts on her clients and telling the story. Very client focused.

She just does such an excellent job of putting it all together into a nice marketable package.