Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #58 (...OUCH! Dude, that hurt!)

2»

Comments

• Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2010
    liflander wrote: »
    Isn't there a phrase just like this one in the movie Napolean Dynamite?

LiflanderPhotography.com

It certainly seems like it should be from that movie. But once again my searches come up empty.
    Funny enough when I search the terms above, this thread is already indexed on the big G
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2010
    RYSCoach wrote: »
    Going through my photos from football yesterday and came across this one. I wish it were so far away but I'd say the kid making the tackle felt the effects more than the other one... :)

Awesome I see you uploaded it to the gallery
    Now you need to put your Dgrin username and a tiltle by clicking on the "add caption" below the photo (while signed in of course)

example: RYSCoach - eating grass

thumb.gif
  • Options
    RYSCoachRYSCoach Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    sherstone wrote: »
    Awesome I see you uploaded it to the gallery
    Now you need to put your Dgrin username and a tiltle by clicking on the "add caption" below the photo (while signed in of course)

example: RYSCoach - eating grass

thumb.gif

Done...I guess I really need to read the rules... :)
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    WhooHoo I finally entered my 1st dgrin challenge
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2010
    Jeff_Milo wrote: »
    WhooHoo I finally entered my 1st dgrin challenge

Looks like you already have a "fan" too mwink.gif

Welcome to DSS, be careful these challenges can become addictive. :D
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited September 6, 2010
    talk about cutting it close...whew! I only had time for one set up shoot and got it processed and in the album now. Its not exactly what I was thinking of earlier but is close and this set up was thought of with insperation of my sons who can get themselves in trouble if you leave them to their own devices!
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2010
    Closed & DQ
    The temple doors are now closed.

#58 is a wrap
    The public voting poll will be posted as soon as I am done copying and pasting all the numbers mwink.gif

Only one DQ this round due to an unknown DGrin user name :cry
    cartwrights - dude, get off me

Sorry, try again in the current round signals
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,196 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    Not long after I got my first dSLR, my photography mentor invited me to a photo shoot his agency sponsored. The theme was "Kids Future Jobs" and I was there to learn more than actually produce any great portfolio pics for the kids.

When I first saw the theme for "Ouch, dude that really hurt!" I immediately thought of these two pictures that I took during that shoot:

Future Doctor--the 'real' pose
    996605755_wpJdf-S.jpg

Immediately after the first image was taken, the younger boy's actually words were "HEY! That really hurt!"
    996589262_TdsMt-S.jpg

Alas, I never had a chance to do this again during the contest period--no time and no willing models. :cry

Sherry
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    So bummed:cry.
    I had a good entry for this round, but can't figure out why I can't get the "date taken" to show anymore.

I don't know if it's LR3 or if it's my camera which has started acting up lately, so much so it's getting sent back olympus for a look-see:(
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2010
    I had a good entry for this round, but can't figure out why I can't get the "date taken" to show anymore.

I don't know if it's LR3 or if it's my camera which has started acting up lately, so much so it's getting sent back olympus for a look-see:(

Are you saying that even the .jpg files copied directly off of your camera card are not showing the correct EXIF info? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2010
    Are you saying that even the .jpg files copied directly off of your camera card are not showing the correct EXIF info? headscratch.gif

Correct--they show 12/31/08 and when I upload them to smugmug--it doesn't even show date taken only date modified.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2010
    Correct--they show 12/31/08 and when I upload them to smugmug--it doesn't even show date taken only date modified.

How are you retrieving the files?
    A card reader? Camera connected via USB cable?
    Are you using any software to download them? or just copy paste?

I find it amazing that a camera will not preserve the EXIF info in the original unedited files.
    Of course if it truly is broken in some way anything is possible with electronics.
  • Options
    oldtown_dreameroldtown_dreamer Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010

i'm bummed for you too. you had a great entry! i loved your idea and your execution, was really sorry not to see any of your images in the gallery :(

- Diana
  • Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    The temple doors are now closed.

#58 is a wrap
    The public voting poll will be posted as soon as I am done copying and pasting all the numbers mwink.gif

Only one DQ this round due to an unknown DGrin user name :cry
    cartwrights - dude, get off me

Sorry, try again in the current round signals

Bummer - my fault. That was my photo - I put in my smugmug name and not my DGrin name... I should read the rules closer next time. Laughing.gif Oh well, this was my first attempt at entering a challenge, but certainly won't be my last. I'm looking forward to the next one.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2010
    How are you retrieving the files?
    A card reader? Camera connected via USB cable?
    Are you using any software to download them? or just copy paste?

I find it amazing that a camera will not preserve the EXIF info in the original unedited files.
    Of course if it truly is broken in some way anything is possible with electronics.

Camera via USB cable and I download them straight to LR3 which I have yet to upgrade to the latest version.

I used my camera for a shoot this weekend and I noticed from last week it was acting up. It won't shoot in burst mode anymore and a few times, it even locked in on focus and I would press the shutter 4-5 times and nothing or maybe it would click on the 5th. Also when it was clearly in focus and it would actually click the focus was totally off. Then I keep thinking maybe it's something that's getting worse and it first started happening when I noticed the EXIF info wouldn't show.

so a big freaking GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! because I so wanted to enter this last round--not to mention my beloved camera is crapping out.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2010
    Camera via USB cable and I download them straight to LR3 which I have yet to upgrade to the latest version.

I am pretty sure this is where the process is breaking down. Obviously LR3 or a setting within it is stripping away your EXIF info.

When you plug your camera into the computer via USB cable, does it show up as a disk or another letter so that you can see the files? If you circumvent LR3 altogether and just copy the files to a folder I am betting those files will have intact EXIF information. Once you have established that we can move forward with figuring it out. If Lightroom tries to automatically download your pictures when you plug the camera in - just cancel that process before doing anything.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2010
    I am pretty sure this is where the process is breaking down. Obviously LR3 or a setting within it is stripping away your EXIF info.

When you plug your camera into the computer via USB cable, does it show up as a disk or another letter so that you can see the files? If you circumvent LR3 altogether and just copy the files to a folder I am betting those files will have intact EXIF information. Once you have established that we can move forward with figuring it out. If Lightroom tries to automatically download your pictures when you plug the camera in - just cancel that process before doing anything.

Thanks Sean. I will do that with the photos for future challenges.
    But you know, now that I remember for the "panning" challenge I had the same problem so I downloaded straight to my olympus program and still it wasn't there. I should know more when I get my camera checked out (pending the finding of my receipt!)
    Liz A.
    _________