Options

Photo Editing

AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
edited October 8, 2010 in Finishing School
What version of photoshop would you guys suggest, I am a casual shooter just for fun. I dont see a grand for CS5, but I like the layers pallette.

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    CS5 is best
    but if you dont like photoshop , paintshop pro X3 is not bad either [ also uses layers ]
  • Options
    Merlin_AZMerlin_AZ Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    How about Photoshop Elements 8.
    There's a trial download on Adobe's site.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    I feel your pain about the outlay for CS5, but if you like layers, that's the way to go. You do have "Layers Lite" in PSE8, but it can't compare to CS5. Layer masks alone are worth the additional expense.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    If your just a casual shooter, and want all the features of layers, then GIMP is the way to go! The best part is that it is free, and will give you most of the functions of PS layers. It will give you much more power over layers then PS elements.
    http://www.gimp.org/
    In my mind, when it comes to image editing, GIMP is second place, only to photoshop, and everything else is far behind
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Ambrola wrote: »
    What version of photoshop would you guys suggest, I am a casual shooter just for fun. I dont see a grand for CS5, but I like the layers pallette.

What drives the need for Photoshop or something like it at all? For casual use, wouldn't Lightroom be a lot better?
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    I have CS5 Extended on my desk top, but I am on the way to dumping that pc. I need the laptop, when travaling. I can't download it on another pc, seems I got a student version. Can't complain, it was free! Be careful if you buy software off cheatbay, I was just lucky I had a person who gave me my $ back. Those guys say you can register it, but I am very skeptical now, 400.00 is alot of dough to waste!!
    I love the options you get with that program, but at 899.00 its is not for the casual shooter. I think you would have to be working to make a purchase like that??
  • Options
    eur0edeur0ed Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    I have CS5 Extended on my desk top, but I am on the way to dumping that pc. I need the laptop, when travaling. I can't download it on another pc, seems I got a student version. Can't complain, it was free! Be careful if you buy software off cheatbay, I was just lucky I had a person who gave me my $ back. Those guys say you can register it, but I am very skeptical now, 400.00 is alot of dough to waste!!
    I love the options you get with that program, but at 899.00 its is not for the casual shooter. I think you would have to be working to make a purchase like that??

I believe with the student version it can only be active on one computer at a time. If you have it on a desktop that you're trashing just open it up, go to help > deactivate and then you'll be able to install and register it to your laptop. If that doesn't work call adobe's support.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    I called Adobe, and they said ebay was not an authorized seller of the product, and wouldn;t talk about it at all! I will try your suggestion and see what happens. I would hate to loose it on the desk top though?
  • Options
    eur0edeur0ed Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    I called Adobe, and they said ebay was not an authorized seller of the product, and wouldn;t talk about it at all! I will try your suggestion and see what happens. I would hate to loose it on the desk top though?

Ahhh I must have misunderstood your last post, I thought you were replacing the desktop with the laptop.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    I am. If I uninstall it from the desk top, will I be able to install it on the laptop? On the desk pc, it don't have the deactivate on the help menu. Its because I didn't have enough RAM when I loaded it. I have since bought more RAM, but I still need it on the laptop. I just would hate to uninstall it, and not have it at all?
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    you say it was free
    how did you get it ?
    was it a download , or was it allready installed ?
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    Installed off a disk that I bought on ebay.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    ok , now , another question
    can you use you current version normally ?
    i mean without limitations ?
    or , its not a trial-version , but fully working ?
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    basflt wrote: »
    ok , now , another question
    can you use you current version normally ?
    i mean without limitations ?
    or , its not a trial-version , but fully working ?

Yes I can. It doesn't say trail or anything when I open it up.Works fine, just missing the 3d because of the RAM issue?
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    congratulations
    simply install it on your other pc , and on your future pc too
    in the same way you installed this one

in post 7 you said you did not register , good
    dont try either , especially not if you have a business

also , dont let the installer connect to internet
    either by firewall , or pull the plug out
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    congratulations
    simply install it on your other pc , and on your future pc too
    in the same way you installed this one

in post 7 you said you did not register , good
    dont try either , especially not if you have a business

also , dont let the installer connect to internet
    either by firewall , or pull the plug out
    wouldn't I have to uninstal it off the desk top??
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    depends on the "version" you have , i cant tell from here

when installed , did you needed to connect to adobe to activate ?
    im not sure , but i think not , or you would have a "de-activate" option , which you dont have [ as you said above ]

therefor , my first thought was ; you have a "naughty" version

best thing to do is ; simply to try it
    take your disk , install in laptop [without internet connected] and see what happens
    if it insists on activating , its a normal version [ and useless for you , unless you pay ]
    if not ; not :D
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    If you dont have the "deactivate" button, and you never registered, and since it was bought on ebay for $400, you got ripped off big time!!!
    To me, what it sounds like, what the person did was sell you a pirated version/illegal version of PS, meaning they made a illegal copy that they didnt pay for, and sold it for $400, making $400 off of nothing! (evidently I am in the wrong buisness :giggle)

What you do with your 'hot' version of PS from here is totally up to you, just dont let anyone know what your going to do with it, and probably best not to contact Adobe for help.

What is a CS5 anyway, I cant give any advice about any CS5 :D

About the GIMP, it is a open sorce program, meaning anyone can contribute to its design, so the poeple who have helped design it have pretty much copied the design of most of the features found in Adobe Photoshop. It has most of the same features, and can do almost everything that you can do in PS, so in my opinion, for a casual shooter, it has everything that you would ever need.
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    racer wrote: »
    If you dont have the "deactivate" button, and you never registered, and since it was bought on ebay for $400, you got ripped off big time!!!
    To me, what it sounds like, what the person did was sell you a pirated version/illegal version of PS, meaning they made a illegal copy that they didnt pay for, and sold it for $400, making $400 off of nothing! (evidently I am in the wrong buisness :giggle)

What you do with your 'hot' version of PS from here is totally up to you, just dont let anyone know what your going to do with it, and probably best not to contact Adobe for help.

What is a CS5 anyway, I cant give any advice about any CS5 :D

About the GIMP, it is a open sorce program, meaning anyone can contribute to its design, so the poeple who have helped design it have pretty much copied the design of most of the features found in Adobe Photoshop. It has most of the same features, and can do almost everything that you can do in PS, so in my opinion, for a casual shooter, it has everything that you would ever need.
    The box was never opened, still in the plastic wrap? I think it is a student version. I got a full refund if you would have read the thread, so, I got a copy thats good for one pc only! The problem is, I got a new laptop, and the version is on the desktop, which is on its last leg. I didn't get ripped off, didn't cost me a penny. Luckaly, the guy was honest when I explained what I thought had happened? It is not hot, I have talked with Adobe, but they would not help. Their reason was ebay is not an authorized dealer of the product, therefor, they will not stand behind it. And I agree about Gimp. Good Editor!
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    If its box was unopened, you would know for sure if it was the student version, because the box clearly says so. And if you did pay $400 initially for it, that was definitely a rip off (even if you got your money back for some reason), because the student version retails from Adobe to qualified purchasers for $199.

I have the student version of PS CS5, and while it is "good for one PC only," that doesn't mean ever. I can reload it on another PC. In fact, not long after I purchased it, I had to get a new computer, and I loaded the student version on the new PC with no problems whatsoever, and this was without doing any deactivation. My old PC died with PS installed on it, then once I had the new machine set up, I just put in the CD and it loaded up fine. It did go online and got the activation code, and it's running (on its 2nd PC) with no problem at all.

There must to be more to this story...
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    Don't know about student versions but typically with the regular version you can do the second install without unstalling the first. If you move it again without uninstalling you will have to call Adobe support to get a code to finish the installation. I've done this many times with Illustator and I think once with Photoshop as machines got replaces and Adobe has never questioned me as to where I bought it.

Dan

My old PC died with PS installed on it, then once I had the new machine set up, I just put in the CD and it loaded up fine. It did go online and got the activation code, and it's running (on its 2nd PC) with no problem at all.

• Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    If its box was unopened, you would know for sure if it was the student version, because the box clearly says so. And if you did pay $400 initially for it, that was definitely a rip off (even if you got your money back for some reason), because the student version retails from Adobe to qualified purchasers for $199.

I have the student version of PS CS5, and while it is "good for one PC only," that doesn't mean ever. I can reload it on another PC. In fact, not long after I purchased it, I had to get a new computer, and I loaded the student version on the new PC with no problems whatsoever, and this was without doing any deactivation. My old PC died with PS installed on it, then once I had the new machine set up, I just put in the CD and it loaded up fine. It did go online and got the activation code, and it's running (on its 2nd PC) with no problem at all.

I don't know whats going on? All I do know is the box does not say student version nor the disk? It says CS5 Extended Full Version? I can most likely uninstall it on the desk top, and install it on the laptop. I think it will only let me install on one pc. I am just glad the guy refunded my money, 365.00 to the dollar. I could have been out that money if the desktop crashes? Like I said in an earlier post, I added more RAM, and its working fine right now, I just don't trust it now.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    Ebay is not an Authorized Reseller or Dealer or Distributor for any company...they simply are
    the "Mall" owner like Simon and Simpon in my area ...Simon and Simon owns all the malls....so
    if you bought your Photoshop from the Software Depot in the mall and called Adobe and ask
    about it but told them that you bought from Soimon and Simon they would not help you in any
    way shape or form.......What you should have done was tell Adobe who you actually purchased
    from...the person or company whom you actually paid for it.

But since you got a refund then it would be illegal to try and use it........Did you return it to the seller???
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    But since you got a refund then it would be illegal to try and use it........Did you return it to the seller???

Picky, picky . . .rolleyes1.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    I don't know whats going on? All I do know is the box does not say student version nor the disk? It says CS5 Extended Full Version? I can most likely uninstall it on the desk top, and install it on the laptop. I think it will only let me install on one pc. I am just glad the guy refunded my money, 365.00 to the dollar. I could have been out that money if the desktop crashes? Like I said in an earlier post, I added more RAM, and its working fine right now, I just don't trust it now.

Then it's not a student version. I'm looking at my box right now, and it is very clearly marked on many different locations. The disk itself does not say student/teacher edition.

From the box (and I think Adobe's website says the exact same words): "You may purchase only one license of any Adobe Student and Teacher Edition product for use only on your privately owned computer. Student and Teacher Editions may not be resold."

So one can't purchase multiple copies, and the original seller violated his purchase terms by selling it. But as for only having one copy, it seems that you may move it to a different computer, so long as it is a privately owned machine, i.e. not a school or work computer. I'd think you should definitely deactivate it first and then reinstall it on the laptop, but even if you didn't, I would still think it would work. It's not like the disk will fail to install if it's already been used once. This isn't Mission: Impossible, and it won't self-destruct. :D

You would not have been out any money if the desktop crashed, unless you no longer have the CD in your possession and therefore couldn't do a reinstall.

As for using this (obviously illegal) copy at all, that's up to you and your own sense of ethics regarding licensing.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    I think it is a student version. I got a full refund if you would have read the thread,
    I did read that part, and I probably should have tryed to word that different, I dont know, but I sure didnt mean to offend you in any way!
    And I agree about Gimp. Good Editor!
    You sent me a PM about Gimp, so thats why I added more about it ne_nau.gif

:hide
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2010
    I am in no way offended Racer. I just don,t understand this whole thing. I did call Adobe last evening, and just told them I bought it, and not where. The guy checked the serial num, and said it was not a valid number? When I asked him why, since the box was unopened, he said thats was all he could say. The only thing I can come up with is that it is a stolen copy or something like that. He said if it works on one pc, I was lucky? This whole thing is a puzzle, box unopened, full version, loaded on one pc fine?
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    There is a whole industry in making copies of software, music, and movie CD/DVD's. The duplicate everything right down to the packaging, shrink wrap and made up serial numbers.

That's why Adobe and other companies have serial numbers and require them to be validated as part of the install. The software duplicators sometimes fix up the code on the CD so that it circumvents the validation in the software.

I am in no way offended Racer. I just don,t understand this whole thing. I did call Adobe last evening, and just told them I bought it, and not where. The guy checked the serial num, and said it was not a valid number? When I asked him why, since the box was unopened, he said thats was all he could say. The only thing I can come up with is that it is a stolen copy or something like that. He said if it works on one pc, I was lucky? This whole thing is a puzzle, box unopened, full version, loaded on one pc fine?
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2010

yes , thats how its go's with illegal software
    due to the original "owner" the serial is now black-listed , as they call it
    like i said before , only thing you can do , is to install it and see what happens
    no need to remove from your current pc [ unless you dont like the idea , ofcourse ]
    and ,........... dont register !!!!!
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2010
    yes , thats how its go's with illegal software
    due to the original "owner" the serial is now black-listed , as they call it
    like i said before , only thing you can do , is to install it and see what happens
    no need to remove from your current pc [ unless you dont like the idea , ofcourse ]
    and ,........... dont register !!!!!
    And that is exactly what I am going to do. Case Closed.