So how will i know when it is time to put her down

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited August 18, 2005 in Accessories
My 17" ADI ProVista monitor.... Its 5 & 1/2 years old.

Over the past few days i can see a ...slight almost yellowish style duo-tone creeping over where it should be white.

Is it time ? :dunno :scratch Nothing i can do in the settings ?

Gus

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    My 17" ADI ProVista monitor.... Its 5 & 1/2 years old.

Over the past few days i can see a ...slight almost yellowish style duo-tone creeping over where it should be white.

Is it time ? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif Nothing i can do in the settings ?

Gus

dell has a super 24" wide display old 'gus deal.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 6, 2005
    When monitors start to go, it's time to get rid of them.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Maximum PC gave that monitor a Kick Ass rating in their last issue. Stated it's the best value for the size and quality.thumb.gif
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    Maybe Andy will sell you his 30"?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    Maybe Andy will sell you his 30"?

Dude, keep up, Andy sold that about 2 weeks after he bought it!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited August 6, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Dude, keep up, Andy sold that about 2 weeks after he bought it!

:nah it was 4 months! and i have the su-weeet 23" apple c.d., iloveyou.gif
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2005
    11doh.gif

I need to start a journal to keep up with that man.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited August 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    :nah it was 4 months! and i have the su-weeet 23" apple c.d., iloveyou.gif

dog months, maybe.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited August 6, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    dog months, maybe.

:nono and i'm gonna prove it!

y'all got me to switch to apple around christmas of 2004, and i bought the 30 incher in early january.

here's where i traded it out for my 23 incher at the end of april 2005

blbl.gif
    edited August 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    :nono and i'm gonna prove it!

y'all got me to switch to apple around christmas of 2004, and i bought the 30 incher in early january.

here's where i traded it out for my 23 incher at the end of april 2005

blbl.gif

I stand corrected.

Either way, it's a sickness, though.

So Andy, now that you've been on the Mac platform for 7 or 8 months, any comments? My dad just upgraded from his old Dell to a G5 iMac.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    zats an LCD i bet ??

I dont like them as they show banding or colour separation some may call it. Im not good enough at editing with them.

I will stick to CRT for a while....speaking of which i just did a local search & mate tell you what... they are getting a bit thin on the shelves...every one buys LCD now.eek7.gif

Gus
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I dont like them as they show banding or colour separation some may call it.
    You might feel different if you hook up a good LCD screen to your system. There's a reason for instance Apple sells LCDs even to high end graphics users. Their screens are fabulous. Whenever I'll have to replace my current (17" Acer TFT widescreen), I'll make sure to look at those. Even when it will be hooked up to a WinBox. :)
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited August 7, 2005
    marlof wrote:
    You might feel different if you hook up a good LCD screen to your system. There's a reason for instance Apple sells LCDs even to high end graphics users. Their screens are fabulous. Whenever I'll have to replace my current (17" Acer TFT widescreen), I'll make sure to look at those. Even when it will be hooked up to a WinBox. :)
    Thanks marlof..about the only one that i have seen here is Qosimo but it was in a laptop & worth about $6K.

Certainly though if i could afford mac then i would have mac...no worries there.
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Certainly though if i could afford mac then i would have mac...no worries there.
    You need a screen, mate, not a mac. Their cinema displays are actually not *that* expensive (although I'm well aware that's a relative term). You can get the 20" widescreen (DVI connector) for AUS $ 1249 according to the Apple online store. You can get a good quality LCD for less than that, but I'm just very impressed with the quality of the Apple screens.
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited August 7, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thanks marlof..about the only one that i have seen here is Qosimo but it was in a laptop & worth about $6K.

Gus, the graphics artists at work each just got the 30" display to check their render outputs, which they can do at a resolution that equates to checking it on film, I guess. Anyway, you're certainly not gonna get the 30" (too big even for Andy!), but it speaks to the quality of the LCD displays. Just an FYI.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited August 7, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    So Andy, now that you've been on the Mac platform for 7 or 8 months, any comments?

i totally dig it deal.gif it's so freakin' easy to use and admin etc i love it. totaly joy to use.
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    lg flatron
    get an LG flatron either 17 or 19 inch-they are very good and will be the last of the CRT monitors-you can get them cheaply in Aus too
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited August 9, 2005
    I think the LG is the way i will go gtc.

Gus
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2005
    edited August 9, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Sam im looking for a monitor ...all i can see there is storage headscratch.gif

Gus
    edited August 9, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Sam im looking for a monitor ...all i can see there is storage headscratch.gif

Gus

For some reason they call it
    Color
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited August 9, 2005
    Ahhh ...got it !
    edited August 11, 2005
    LG-waaayyy to goooo,maaateeee
    Humungus wrote:

Gus
    good man-we will never be able to keep up with rich americans and their blasted exchange rate- LG CRT Flatron-its almost a collectors item as I think that the LCD/TFT's will be soon all there is to buy-some smart person will buy them all up and in ten years sell them to us at twice the price-they will develop a cachet similar to valve amps-even though there will be little qualitative difference between CRT and LCD/TFT- in the future people will swear that there is a difference-retro fashion will elevate them.all these LCD buying squillionaires will be shelling out big bickie$ in the future for pristine CRT and you and I will chuckle-if our screens last that long!
    s
    MARK MY WORDS!

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited August 11, 2005
    I went & looked at monitors today gtc...mate seriously i looked at a new Benq 20" LCD today & WOW !!! I had a DVD of some of my photos on it & it just blew me away how good it is.

Go & check one out.

$1100 0z clams though :cry

Gus
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Gus
    Gus, I've had the 17" Flatron (795 I think) for about 5 yrs and it still beats most other monitors I've looked at.

regards
    alan
    edited August 12, 2005
    apples with apples
    they look pretty good but you should compare them against a CRT Flatron rather than against your tired old dog of a screen...i had a look at one last night and yes-nice big screen size and gee it sure looked groovy but I didn't see any greater resolution than my flatron which cane at less than a quarter the price.

it would make my flat look groovier but then I would walk into the room and spoil that impression...

if only they could guarantee that it would improve my sex life maybe I would buy one!

monitors are beginning to become like high end hi-fi gear(you know.. platinum connectors and speaker coils from the 5th dimension etc)

people are spending a motza on supposed differences that they can't even detect

they like to think they can, but put them in a double blind test and they can't tell the difference-this is also,in my mind anyway,the way that monitors have gone-

if i had the money to spend i would get the flatron(i did anyway) and spend the balance on some more camera gear,which I did..

the lcd/tft's price will drop through the floor over the next couple of years-

the r&d costs have already been recovered and the manafacturing costs are tiny in comparison with CRT.

wait a few years and they will drop out of cornflakes packets,just as the CRT monitors are doing now.

they reached their zenith in quality but are being run out at ridiculous prices because they don't physically look as groovy,rather than any serious or detectable image quality advantage.

with the $750 extra that you would have I could think of some very nice lenses and other goodies-maybe a photo holiday to Alice Springs or something....now that would be groovy.
    Humungus wrote:
    I went & looked at monitors today gtc...mate seriously i looked at a new Benq 20" LCD today & WOW !!! I had a DVD of some of my photos on it & it just blew me away how good it is.

Go & check one out.

$1100 0z clams though :cry

Gus

edited August 14, 2005
    Thanks for your effort there gtc...i do want to go & photograph the boat race in the tod river.

So just for my info guys...are these new centrino laptops with 1680 x 1050 adequate for photo editing ?
    edited August 14, 2005
    edited August 14, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Do you need a laptop? Seems to me that a decent display and some new glass would serve you better.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited August 14, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Do you need a laptop? Seems to me that a decent display and some new glass would serve you better.
    No mate...its about looking at expensive toys.