Options

Constant focusing failures are turning me into a miserable human being.

2»

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    richtersl wrote: »
    $70 new????? I want to know where you shop! rolleyes1.gif Because I want to shop there too!!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

Wow, a 99-er... Prices went up I guess (inflation?). I purchased mine (MkII, also) in 2005 (sold it a couple years ago), it was around $70 at a local Cooper's Photo Video Center.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    Do a quick test. Tape a section of newsprint to the wall and make sure it is very flat and evenly lit. Make sure you camera is on a tripod with a shutter or timer release and it must be perpendicular to the wall. Take a shot and then process it and see what the type looks like. There is a definite reason why they sell a $500 camera and a $6,000 dollar camera.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Actually follow this:

http://focustestchart.com/chart.html

the focus test should be done on a horizontal surface, not vertical.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Wow, a 99-er... Prices went up I guess (inflation?). I purchased mine (MkII, also) in 2005 (sold it a couple years ago), it was around $70 at a local Cooper's Photo Video Center.

Note the BHPhoto prices includes free shipping.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    cmason wrote: »
    Actually follow this:

http://focustestchart.com/chart.html

the focus test should be done on a horizontal surface, not vertical.

15524779-Ti.gif
    I typically use a ruler and a knife or a ballpen (located exactly on a certain ruler mark) to focus on. This way I know exactly where my focus should be and how far off I am (if at all).

E.g.: 50/1.8 at f/2.8 on Canon 40D:

436511009_rCg6d-L.jpg

HTH
  • Options
    silvereyesilvereye Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    My POV.. as stupid as it may sound is that a $5K camera is not requried to take dynamic images.. I graduated college with a degree in Photography shooting with this http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/ae1/index.htm 10 years ago...

Take you rig to a camera shop and do some swaping and see what you can see

Bottom line of my point is the photogs eye is their most important tool.. not a $5K Rig

thumb.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Take the advice of everybody here and rule out equipment problem and user error.

If you really can't live with it, sell it and move up to the 50mm 1.4. You wouldn't be the first to do so... :D

That said, in many ways I preferred the 1.8. Yes, the 1.4 is faster and more reliable to focus, but I actually like the look the 1.8 gives and that thing is SHARP once it's stopped down a tad (on mine the sweet spot was f8 - holy cannoli but it was so sharp it was scary!).

But it can be a finicky beast as it goes click-grind-whirr and hunts... and hunts... and hunts...

Good luck with it!
  • Options
    silvereye wrote: »
    My POV.. as stupid as it may sound is that a $5K camera is not requried to take dynamic images.. I graduated college with a degree in Photography shooting with this http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/ae1/index.htm 10 years ago...

Take you rig to a camera shop and do some swaping and see what you can see

Bottom line of my point is the photogs eye is their most important tool.. not a $5K Rig

thumb.gif

While I agree with Mr. Adams' thought that the key ingredient to a great picture is a few inches behind the camera, there are only so many things you can do with a basic gear. Sometimes you can work around it, but more often than not it stops you dead in your tracks. We don't buy expensive gear for a chance to show it off; we actually use its capabilities to our advantage. deal.gif
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2010
    Nikolai, well said.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Sam, I understand that, all I'm saying that it should be fairly simple/easy to check one's equipment at a local store. mwink.gif

Yes, yes, I get it.....just a little late night humor. :D:D

Sam
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Any update on this?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Since this has nothing to do with people shots, but is about equipment, i have moved this to "cameras" thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2010
    Update: After an initial contact with Shane, he seems to have vanished?

I hope he is OK.

Sam